• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Basically No One Has Joined Twitter for Months

Right but like some insane percentage of twitter "users" are bots anyways.

Yup.

Twitter is shady as hell and I'm pretty sure the site is an actual disaster if you were able to see under the hood of the engine.

I'm pretty sure it's just good for marketing and getting pop culture related info out there.

I bet most tweets are read in a web browser from someone linking what a famous person is saying.

Lombax

Banned
I recently moved to a new phone, and two applications I did not bother installing were twitter and facebook.

Both seem rather useless to me at this point.

18-Volt

I'm more surprised by the fact that people are still using Facebook. That thing is absolutely pointless if you don't have any friends. But Twitter can be a good source of news and sometimes meeting new people.

How do people not use twitter but are on OT gaf?

Like everything people post is usually like at least an hour behind twitter.

Also news breaks on twitter, so I doubt it will go away.

Twitter is not a good product at all.

Discovery features are bad so you're almost never going to have an interaction with a stranger unless it's a sociopath who uses it 20 hours a day to yell at people they disagree with. Lack of features to stop abuse means active users have the opposite problem where they have to face a torrent of shit. Celebrities checked out a long time ago so now most famous people have stage-managed accounts. It's really just journalists and comedians actually using it. The UX is terrible (I especially love all the shit they force down your throat and you can't turn off, "Show less of this" doesn't do fucking anything). No privacy granularity at all. Media features are garbage. Embedded images and videos are not very performant. Customer support could one day be something useful on Twitter, but most companies just have "@Soandso Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, DM us for more info" -> DM them -> "We'd be happy to help you with this, please call our customer service line M-F 9-5". If they had a more flexible bot specification they'd be a better platform for this. Oh, and speaking of bot specifications, their API is pretty bad and not useful for researchers, who otherwise would be the greatest evangelists of Twitter. Conversations are impossible because the threading interface is dreadful. If you have privacy turned on then there's no way to suppress follow requests without blocking someone. The onboarding process sucks. The spam problem is out of control, both in terms of sex-bot accounts, russian political accounts, and just blog spam. I think most of the people I know who have Twitter accounts use them for contest signup garbage.

It's hard to think of something Twitter does that it's actually good at.

Don't forget the biggest problem, people communicating nuanced statements and opinions through a thread instead of something more suitable like a blog post. Most infamous recent example was the series of tweets our Ass in Chief posted yesterday where in the 9 minutes between the first and second post, the Pentagon was freaking out because they thought he was going to announce military action.

But I was told that Twitter is the pulse of the world and owns the moment anything big happens. Not adding new users seems counter to that notion.

Calion

News feels like slow mo on forums compared to my TL.
Ferguson and Trayvon Martin probably wouldn't have be big stories if it wasn't for Twitter. Hell, there's a great chance BLM wouldn't even exist if it weren't for twitter.

Why would anyone need to use Twitter because they come here?

Twitter sucks and I hope it fails so something better will fill it's place. They have terrible moderation and the character limitation basically makes tweets the bumper stickers of the internet.

Twitter is a goddamned mess visually and policy wise, and I hate that I still open the tab in the same vein I don't stop picking at a mosquito bite or scab.

The thing about Social Media and Twitter in specific that I have studied is that it can make anything a story. I was able to follow what was happening in Raqqa because of the people ballsy enough to have their cell phone recording stuff. News can break on Twitter faster then you can blink, and journalists will pick up on those small rumblings.

Not only do world leaders and virtually every organization use Twitter, ISIS uses Twitter to spread its message and videos of executions and propaganda and no matter how hard Twitter tries to crack down on it (and they try hard) they wont go away. Its the same thing with those Russian bots you hear so much about. Now I am NOT comparing them to ISIS in any way, but the Black Lives Matter movement has also been powered through Twitter. It allows for people across the country to talk and mobilize. Would Ferguson have blown up as much as it did without Twitter?

Now the real issue with Twitter is that the people who run it wont stop making bad decisions. Liking a post can show up in your followers feed. You might be asking "Isnt that just a retweet" and the answer is no because you can control retweets. Twitter seems to care more about naughty curse words then verified neo-Nazi accounts siccing their thousands of kekistan/alt-right/scumbag followers on people. The whole shadowban debacle is when someone gets shadowbanned for saying "Eat shit" or "fuck you" to Richard Spencer and they are the ones who get banned.

Twitter really just feels like a e-drama network at this point. It holds none of the value that competing social networks have in supplementing real-world relationships.

One thing that frustrates me is the FGC has moved from Forums to Facebook, Twitter, and discord.

Great for discovery but It's impossible to have underthings conversation on those platforms.

old

$574 million in revenue and no profit for a microblog website? Sure. <cough>income shifting</cough>

Their accountants need raises.

I love using Twitter tbh but I can't disagree with any of the below.

Twitter is not a good product at all.

Discovery features are bad so you're almost never going to have an interaction with a stranger unless it's a sociopath who uses it 20 hours a day to yell at people they disagree with. Lack of features to stop abuse means active users have the opposite problem where they have to face a torrent of shit. Celebrities checked out a long time ago so now most famous people have stage-managed accounts. It's really just journalists and comedians actually using it. The UX is terrible (I especially love all the shit they force down your throat and you can't turn off, "Show less of this" doesn't do fucking anything). No privacy granularity at all. Media features are garbage. Embedded images and videos are not very performant. Customer support could one day be something useful on Twitter, but most companies just have "@Soandso Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, DM us for more info" -> DM them -> "We'd be happy to help you with this, please call our customer service line M-F 9-5". If they had a more flexible bot specification they'd be a better platform for this. Oh, and speaking of bot specifications, their API is pretty bad and not useful for researchers, who otherwise would be the greatest evangelists of Twitter. Conversations are impossible because the threading interface is dreadful. If you have privacy turned on then there's no way to suppress follow requests without blocking someone. The onboarding process sucks. The spam problem is out of control, both in terms of sex-bot accounts, russian political accounts, and just blog spam. I think most of the people I know who have Twitter accounts use them for contest signup garbage.

It's hard to think of something Twitter does that it's actually good at.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
It's a garbage platform only used by stans and celebrities these days. What's the appeal?

If you are into collecting things or purchasing limited-run items that sell out quickly, or hearing from particular people, groups, or companies in a timely manner, Twitter is by far the best platform.

There is literally nothing better for getting news and up to the minute announcements, it's not a "garbage platform" at all. Everyone in here saying it is just doesn't know how to use it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If you are into collecting things or purchasing limited-run items that sell out quickly, or hearing from particular people, groups, or companies in a timely manner, Twitter is by far the best platform.

There is literally nothing better for getting news and up to the minute announcements, it's not a "garbage platform" at all. Everyone in here saying it is just doesn't know how to use it.

Discord or Slack would be a much better service for sneaker drops or Mondo posters or whatever. It may be the case that there's not a critical mass on those services within those communities, but if that critical mass did move, the software would be a lot better for a number of reasons.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Discord or Slack would be a much better service for sneaker drops or Mondo posters or whatever. It may be the case that there's not a critical mass on those services within those communities, but if that critical mass did move, the software would be a lot better for a number of reasons.

I don't disagree, but all the places I buy from use Twitter as their announcement platform.

Yes, technically other platforms might work better, but very people / companies say "hey join our Discord", it's "follow us on Twitter".

CHC

It's a shit medium, so... good. It's centralized and oversimplified public discourse to such a disgusting extent. Trump represents the end stage of this inherently poor idea.

Dazzler

*Wario64 posts about a special edition for an obscure game being available for 30 seconds on a site nobody's ever heard of*

*posts again 3 seconds later*

*posts again 3 seconds later*

*I turn off notifications*

It's the snarky pointing out of small typos and spelling mistakes that put me off. Seems really mean spirited

Wiped89

I love how the article opens up by saying Twitter attracted no new users. Then halfway down, it said it attracted 1 million new users 'internationally'.

So it attracted 1 million new users then. Why is America SO self obsessed to the point articles can be written talking only about America without any 'in America' caveats in the sentence.

As a non American it's at best confusing to read an article which appears to talk about the whole company which is later revealed to be just the US part, and at worst very irritating.

I love how the article opens up by saying Twitter attracted no new users. Then halfway down, it said it attracted 1 million new users 'internationally'.

So it attracted 1 million new users then. Why is America SO self obsessed to the point articles can be written talking only about America without any 'in America' caveats in the sentence.

As a non American it's at best confusing to read an article which appears to talk about the whole company which is later revealed to be just the US part, and at worst very irritating.

I laughed quite loudly when I got to that part and then closed the article.

Every news site and Facebook feed on the planet auto-adds Trump Tweets to their main pages.

No need to even look at Twitter.com or a Twitter app anymore.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I like using Twitter and it's great to look at during events or breaking news. But they need to do something. Something.

They need to introduce heavy moderation because it basically doesn't exist. If you get reported for attacking someone, you should be suspended. Again? Banned.

Reported for saying a racial slur? Instantly banned. Permanently.

Simple as that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hot toot: People are abandoning twitter for Mastodon

laugh.gif

Hey remember how we almost got bought by Disney but they told us to curate and moderate our users better and we told them to fuck off?

Good times.

Top Bottom