• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

i-Lo

Fuck I messed up. I meant the one Kotaku posted with the 1.6 ghz dozers and the 7970m is crappy.

The January one in VGLeaks seems to have final silicon (the APU), it should be more indicative of the final performance.

The dozer was pretty old one. Pertaining to GPU, the new one is only known by its codename, "Liverpool". Why would that stop it from being very different from 7970m, albeit, to speculate from what llhere said, be customized to somehow support (maybe it is integrated) the special Compute module/unit?

onQ123

Fuck I messed up. I meant the one Kotaku posted with the 1.6 ghz dozers and the 7970m is crappy.

The January one in VGLeaks seems to have final silicon (the APU), it should be more indicative of the final performance.

Kotaku said

System Memory: 8GB
Video Memory: 2.2 GB
CPU: 4x Dual-Core AMD64 "Bulldozer" (so, 8x cores)
GPU: AMD R10xx
Ports: 4x USB 3.0, 2x Ethernet
Drive: Blu-Ray
HDD: 160GB
Audio Output: HDMI & Optical, 2.0, 5.1 & 7.1 channels

http://kotaku.com/5977849/the-plays...ncy-user-accounts-and-impressive-specs-so-far

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Predictions:

-Durango will come with a universal remote.

-Durango will have some of the Kinect 2.0 "guts" built into it (mainly audio), but Kinect 2.0 will be released about 12-18 months after launch. They will announce it's coming, but as a separate add-on. $100 to $150.

-The HDMI in will pass through cable/dvr/sat. The universal remote will control the channels and if you have a DVR, that will still function as a DVR. "TV" will be one of the main tiles in the new interface.

-1 to 3 gigs of RAM will be used for OS purposes depending on the state of the device. In standby mode, which the unit can be set to do at all times, it will be about 1 gig and extremely low power usage. Durango will display an interactive "frame" around what's showing on the TV through the HDMI in pass through. This frame will show facebook alerts, email alerts, twitter updates, xbox live requests, and any other relevant updates that you configure (like podcasts, youtube, etc.). You can also browse the web from here and related links may pop-up depending on your settings and what you're watching. Durango will know what you're watching by using software algorithms that sense the logo on the channel's corner (almost all channel's have it now). Plus in the initial set-up, Durango will ask your zip code and provider info so it can synch better. As for DVR functionality, I think it will offer that as well by coming with a small bluetooth IR transmitter that you place in front of your dvr/cable box so Durango can control it. This will be the closest thing to merging the living room with the PC yet. Just like the PS3 was seen by many as the "bluray player that also plays games" Durango will be seen as the "Facebook box in the living room that also plays games"

-Smartglass functionality will probably include watching recorded TV, live tv, or having interactive stuff on the smartglass while you watch the show or event. Similar concept for games. Since everyone seems to have at least a smart phone or a tablet in the house, Smartglass will be nearly universally usable. Smartglass/Durango will be Microsoft's trojan horse to get nearly all your contact accessible and "served" by Durango to practically any device whether you're home or on the road. Even downloadable games can be served by Durango to devices. Think about all of the implications...

-Durango will be priced at $399 and $499 (bigger drive). It will be 10-25% weaker than the PS4 due to these sacrifices and "direction".

-I think PS4/Durango will be pretty neck and neck worldwide in sales and WiiU coming in closely in 3rd. It will be the closest 3-way race ever with each system offering something different/unique. Durango will be #1 in North America, though.

-Durango will have some of the Kinect 2.0 "guts" built into it (mainly audio), but Kinect 2.0 will be released about 12-18 months after launch. They will announce it's coming, but as a separate add-on. $100 to $150.

No chance. That thing is in, and it's in day one, and it's all over your favourite games.

Krabardaf

Devs barely bothered with the Wii Mote. Now they're suddenly going to start focusing completely on the Kinect?

Most certainly not, but i'm still 90% sure Kinect2 will be shipped with every 720. Microsoft wants to ship an all in one minority report like machine. Media center, TV, social, and games.
Single store for games, movies, music, series etc. All connected to your live account. And all available on your console, but also on your WP Smartphone and your PC.

I would happily be proven wrong about kinect though.

spisho

Neo Member
Full Windows experience has support for billions of legacy apps, and drivers. It also has memory paging, complicated task manager, dos, apis for dozens of languages, and thousands of hot fixes.

I am only scratching the surface of what Windows is.

Windows RT doesn't support legacy apps and driver support wouldn't be an issue on Durango. Everything else on that list explains the ~3GB and 2 core reservation.

Satchel

Banned
Most certainly not, but i'm still 90% sure Kinect2 will be shipped with every 720. Microsoft wants to ship an all in one minority report like machine. Media center, TV, social, and games.
Single store for games, movies, music, series etc. All connected to your live account. And all available on your console, but also on your WP Smartphone and your PC.

I would happily be proven wrong about kinect though.

I'm 90% sure you and everyone making that assumption is wrong.

There may be Kinect bundles, but Kinect will not come with every Xbox sku.

I think MS will build Kinect 1.0 voice and facial recognition functions into the box though. Purely for log in and navigation options.

Which is actually a good thing. Could be part of why the OS ram is high.

For there to be close to 3gb dedicated to the OS I can't even imagine the type of Minority Report stuff Microsoft is going after. Damn E3 is going to be so fun.

sangreal

For there to be close to 3gb dedicated to the OS I can't even imagine the type of Minority Report stuff Microsoft is going after. Damn E3 is going to be so fun.

my guess is they aren't using most of it and they figure its easier to free it up later than the opposite

Karak

Ya if it truly is 3. The over the top stuff will be insane. As I said in the PM. Its exciting as hell right now.

Not quite, it represents a difference in raw float point throughput, how that throughput translates to performance is a whole different ball game.

And that's not even talking about efficiency, difference in architectures... Your work simply might not need the extra operations. Say for example that all you want to do is to draw big black images as fast as you can. The performance won't be determined by the flop rate at all.

Of course, there's not much use in big black images, but not every game is going to be hold back by alu performance, heck even in some fairly high profile games in this generation developers have come out and said that they still some processing power unused on 7 year old hardwares (360 and Ps3) and that they can't put that to good use because they are being hold back by their memory.

My point is: Not knowing all the details of the architectures means we can't say precisely where each of them is going to have an advantage over the other. Not knowing which kind of games these consoles are going to run means we can't say pretty much nothing about their final performance. Say in a hypothetical scenario Orbis massive bandwidth gives it an immense edge over durango in deferred rendering. But for some reason developers decide to stick to forward rendering (be it lowest common denominator, gpgpu being used in a way where they can have the forward rendering advantages and the deferred ones too, etc) and in forward rendering orbis extra bandwidth doesn't make much a difference, but durango's memory setup allows it to compensate the float point advantage and then some, but by a smaller margin then DF would yield, so developers decide to stick to that for parity's sake.

Well, we know both are GCN-based designs. We also know that ROPs and Texture Units are tied to the number of Compute Units in that architecture. Based on that we can predict Orbis has a 50% advantage not only in shader flops, but fill rate and texture rate. In any GPU limited situation Orbis should demonstrate a clear performance advantage.

I'm slowly getting very excited about this generational transition. This industry needs a jolt. I just hope neither platform is so far behind that it drags down all multiplatform titles. The technical rumors are fascinating but I desperately want to see the results.

NBtoaster

I love ERP, favorite poster besides Bkilian on B3d.

ERP is saying that the additional parts of Durango could work to reduce RAM latency and improve CU performance, without needing more of them and making the flop count less relevant, but may require careful tuning to utilise properly. Correct?

USC-fan

Banned
Well you haven't been paying attention lately, eh? All reports point to Sony having great support and tools as of late - some insiders even to the point of parity.

But... you can continue to believe what you wish, not stopping you.

According to reliable sources, this has not been true for a while. Sony was behind for a decade -- but has now caught up.

What reports? What sources?

I just going off this survey of game dev done by ign and also the history of the ms vs sony dev tools form the ps360. Love to here what these updated reports and sources say now...

"From a hardware perspective, nearly 80% of respondents said Microsoft’s next console is the easiest to work with, and the overwhelming majority suspect it will be the sales leader over the next five years."

ERP is saying that the additional parts of Durango could work to reduce RAM latency and improve CU performance, without needing more of them and making the flop count less relevant, but may require careful tuning to utilise properly. Correct?
I think that what he is getting at.
but more realistically this will improve memory efficiency but not really improve the floppy performance. There are other units at play to help on the GPU performance, donno how much affect they have.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Proelite said:
Why would any devkit that isn't final silicon be a cause for worry though? I mean first PSP devkits were a freaking emulator that was like 1/10th of the actual performance - that had no bearing on the machine itself.
Unless you're worrying about release-dates, which are always a cause for doubt until close-to-retail hw units start appearing.

AgentP said:
So the guy who works for Sony said that? Ya...
Would it help if he also worked for MS in the past?

i dont know how recently he worked for ms but he said he had been told the info, not that he knew it.

I'm sure a guy like ERP has trustworthy sources. Same for the DF article. While it's not definitive, I doubt either would report rumors unless they had a very credible source. They must know tons of insiders.

Maybe this is the reason to reserve 3GB for system:

1yukon_transmedia2.jpg.jpg.jpg

1yukon_transmedia1.jpg.jpg.jpg

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Would it help if he also worked for MS in the past?

No. He already said he was just interpreting the rumors, how on Earth would he know the exact amount of reserved RAM for a non-final console he doesn't work on? Unless he suddenly was told by a old coworker, but he didn't say that did he?

Ashes

Banned

I haven't kept up, so this might be old, but last I checked he called it interesting, not a solution.

But I wouldn't like to put words in his mouth, so forgive me on that part.

Ashes

Banned
Oh for the love of...

I can tell my ignore list is going to swell massively as E3 approaches.

Something funny is going on. We have a code for one kit and selective measurements of the other - and they both have GPUS from AMD [At least I think they do]. To be honest I've never encountered such a controlled leak.

Everyone said that after the Kinect came out. And besides some neat voice stuff, not much happened. "A new Alan Wake for XBLA? It's clearly Kinect game!"

I personally have no clue why Microsoft is even continuing kinect in any game capacity.....but that's just me.

I mean you would think analysts would keep track of how poorly game sales are going and tell the division that maybe heavily investing in a new kinect is not the greatest idea. Not sure if it's a worthwhile risk at launch to package in kinect 2.0 or have even created a kinect 2.0 in general.

But that's just my two cents.

Top Bottom