• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voltron: Legendary Defender |OT| Season 3 now up, Season 4 (cough) in Oct

Sou Da

11180627_1066912136665601_3678590782178120063_n.png

Voltron Legendary Defender is a reboot of the 80s the popular American adaption of Golion, now developed for Netflix by Joaquim Dos Santos and Lauren Montgomery (The Legend of Korra, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Wonder Woman) and animated by Studio Mir (The Legend of Korra)

Premise: Keith, Lance, Hunk, Pidge and Shiro - five unlikely heroes and their flying robot lions unite to form the megapowerful Voltron and save the galaxy from an evil forceled by King Zarkon.

Videos: Trailer 1 Sizzle Reel (action footage) “Saving Shiro” clip “Finding the Blue Lion” clip

Season 2 Trailer

Characters:
Shiro (Sven in the OG Voltron) -Leader of the team and The pilot of the Black Lion. Captured by the Galra while on a mission, Shiro was experimented upon before escaping back to Earth. He returned with a weaponized robotic arm and vital information to lead the team against his former captors. Calm, thoughtful and wise beyond his years, it takes more than a fleet of Galra cruisers to get a rise out of Shiro. Played by Josh Keaton.

Keith – The pilot of the Red Lion. Mysterious and stand-offish, but ultimately a good friend. Not the leader, but an ace pilot nonetheless. Orphaned at a young age before enlisting in the Galaxy Garrison, Keith is somewhat of a lone wolf. Considered to be the most talented pilot of his generation, he refuses to live by other people’s rules, instead choosing to carve out his own path. Played by Steven Yeun
Pidge – The pilot of the Green Lion. Pidge originally joined the team to search the galaxy for missing family members, but then came to understand the larger goal of conquering Zarkon and liberating the universe. Pidge loves and understands all things tech and often finds it easier to talk to gadgets than other humans. Played by Bex Taylor-Klaus.

Hunk - The pilot of the Yellow Lion. Hunk is the team’s mechanic and he’s a naturally good-hearted guy who is quick to laugh at himself. He's got a goofy sense of humor and hates any tension within the group, almost as much as his stomach hates flying. Gastrointestinal issues aside, Hunk is the team’s foodie and he’s constantly assessing alien vegetables to gauge their value in his recipes. Played by Tyler Labine.

Lance – The pilot of the Blue Lion. Goofy, overconfident, and desperate for approval. Has the worst pick-up lines in recorded history. Lance is all about having fun, even a million miles away from Earth’s comforts and distractions. Full of confidence and even more full of himself, Lance thinks he’s everyone’s best friend, especially if they’re cute and female. While his cockiness often gets the better of him, it comes in handy during firefights against bigger and better opponents. Played by Jeremy Shada.

Princess Allura – Unfortunate target of Lance’s “affections.” Often all business, Princess Allura is a whip-smart alien princess. Allura is the daughter of King Alfor, the original creator of Voltron. Allura has emerged from a 10,000 year cryogenic sleep to guide the team to defeat Zarkon. Often feeling the weight of the universe on her shoulders, she feels personally responsible for the success or failure of the new Paladins of Voltron. Played by Kimberly Brooks.

Last but not least!
Voltron – Legendary Defender. Defender of the universe, first formed 10,000 years ago to protect the galaxy from evil. A mighty warrior standing at over 100 meters tall and assembled from five robot lions, Voltron inflicts colossal blows, leaps staggering distances, and wields an arsenal of lasers, sabers, missiles, and the invincible blazing sword.

Also starring:
Rhys Darby as Coran, Allura's royal advisor, in charge of the Castle Control.
Neil Kaplan as King Zarkon, ruler of the Drule Empire.
Cree Summer as Witch Haggar, The notorious creator of all the Robeasts and master of dark magic

Premieres only on Netflix June 10th!
Eleven episode season with a movie length first episode for Season 1
Ten more for Season 2!
(Two week grace period for unmarked spoilers, use the spoiler tags until then!)

Voltron_season_2_netflix.png

“We tried to set up a world where there would be very real consequences,” Montgomery added. “It’s what we tried to set up with our teaser. Not every trailer is 100% true. These characters, none of them are totally safe. We try to make this a situation where bad things can happen.”

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm speechless. How did I not know this was a thing? OP made my day.

Schrade

Are you being weird purposefully using I's instead of |'s in the subject line? Or do you just not understand that the |OT| stuff uses the pipe character above the enter key on US keyboards...?

Are you being weird purposefully using I's instead of |'s in the subject line? Or do you just not understand that the |OT| stuff uses the pipe character above the enter key on US keyboards...?

Well now you've done fucked up OP.

|I have the pipes|

I forgot this was starting tomorrow. I'm down to marathon this over the weekend. I hope it'll be more like Go Lion than Voltron in terms of content though.

Sou Da

This way it looks like pillars!

I fucked up, libreoffice autocorrected to I's.

Mods pls fix.

Pejo

One of my top 5 cartoons as a child. Pretty optimistic about the remake, based on trailers I've seen.

A+ thread title.

Can't wait!

PSqueak

Banned
So I guess Shiro going to die/injured at some point and appoint Keith to Black?

From the interviews, they were implying
He's going to die like in Golion, rather than injure like in voltron
, but they never specified, so maybe they'll surprise us
Imagine if it's someone else who dies to get Allura in the team!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Voltron Legendary Defender is a reboot of the 80s the popular American adaption of Golion,
Well, I don't really care about Voltr-

now developed for Netflix by Joaquim Dos Santos and Lauren Montgomery (The Legend of Korra, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Wonder Woman) and animated by Studio Mir (The Legend of Korra)
FUCKING SOLD

It's interesting that they fixed the characters and their lions. I always though it odd how Keith wore red, but piloted Black Lion, Sven/Shiro wore black, but piloted Blue, and Lance wore blue, but piloted Red.

It's interesting that they fixed the characters and their lions. I always though it odd how Keith wore red, but piloted Black Lion, Sven/Shiro wore black, but piloted Blue, and Lance wore blue, but piloted Red.

IIRC it also had to do with Sentai shows in that Red is pretty much always the leader, particularly during that time and the the colors basically giveaways to the audience on how a character would act, etc.

Personally, I never liked it that they 'fixed' it for the other follow up shows (3D and Force) so if there is a mixup here I'd like to see the colors stay with what the pilots started out with.

I haven't watched the originals since they were on but (Spoilers for the original and probably the new series as well)
Don't they shift spots after an incident takes one of them out of action?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Red is apparently associated with leadership in Japan, so Keith wore red. Doesn't explain Sven and Lance, though.

I haven't watched the originals since they were on but (Spoilers for the original and probably the new series as well)
Don't they shift spots after an incident takes one of them out of action?

No, in the original series Keith always is the leader and is in black lion from the beginning. Sven was the pilot of blue lion, and Allura took over after he was killed/injured, depending on which country you were watching in. Whether anything like that will happen in this is unknown. Allura seems to have her own thing going on, so maybe not.

Red is apparently associated with leadership in Japan, so Keith wore red. Doesn't explain Sven and Lance, though.

No, in the original series Keith always is the leader and is in black lion from the beginning. Sven was the pilot of blue lion, and Allura took over after he was killed/injured, depending on which country you were watching in. Whether anything like that will happen in this is unknown. Allura seems to have her own thing going on, so maybe not.

Thanks for clarifying. I remember Keith being in the Black Lion in the original.

The last time I watched an episode of Voltron was in the 80s so I am foggy on the details.

IIRC it also had to do with Sentai shows in that Red is pretty much always the leader, particularly during that time and the the colors basically giveaways to the audience on how a character would act, etc.

Personally, I never liked it that they 'fixed' it for the other follow up shows (3D and Force) so if there is a mixup here I'd like to see the colors stay with what the pilots started out with.

This makes sense. The pilot suit colors do correspond to broad Sentai color tropes.

I doubt the colors will be switching up much in this one. Sven will likely die - this is speculation, not spoiler - and Keith will move to Black, while Allura takes Red. Red is close enough to pink that it works.

From the toonzone forums from a poster/mod who got to see a screener:

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/thre...fender-talkback-thread.5545932/#post-84464151

GWOtaku said:
1. Remember Voltron Force? I do, and it was dreadfully disappointing to the point that I was apathetic about this until I found out who was making it. Now I know that this is as opposite that show as a cartoon with the name "Voltron" can possibly be. No gimmicks, no invented continuity that doesn't jive with the original, no continuity baggage at all since it's a reboot, no unlikable children. Even the CG Voltron is pretty much the style and quality we wish we'd had before. If VF ruined Voltron for you, this will fix it.

2. Legendary Defender is about as original as a franchise cartoon gets to be. It borrows names and elements from both classic Voltron and Beast King Go-Lion. For example known pilot names like Keith and Pidge exist alongside Black Lion pilot Shiro, originally Sven / "Shirogane" and the short-lived Blue Lion pilot. Instead of "The Drule" and "Planet Doom" you have the Galra Empire, which was the evil force in Go-Lion. Zarkon and Haggar are Voltron names, while Sendak is derived from the Japanese name of the character fans knew as Yurak. At the same time Legendary Defender is really beholden to neither show where it counts, and unapologetically its own thing.

4. I've seen the credits. It's not just showrunners Joaqim Dos Santos and Lauren Montgomery, the writers and storyboard artists were people connected to Avatar and / or Korra too. It's thoroughly the DreamWorks / Studio Mir coproduction being hinted at awhile ago. To pitch this, someone else doesn't even need to know what Voltron is. You can quip it's Avatar IN SPACE and be pretty much on the mark. What a world.

5. I predict Allura will be a fan favorite. Abandon everything you know about this character. It's glorious.

There is a little bit more at the link but some of it could be seen as minor spoilers.

NastyBook

So that's where Megaranger got it from.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Ah it was the Wonder Woman credit that sold you right?
No one remembers that movie ;-;

It was all of those credits, and Wonder Woman was damn good.

I also remember Joaquim Dos Santos from all those badass action episodes of JLU he directed. Turns out he also did GI Joe Resolute, which I also liked, so I'm down for whatever action cartoon that dude is attached to.

NastyBook

I also remember Joaquim Dos Santos from all those badass action episodes of JLU he directed. Turns out he also did GI Joe Resolute, which I also liked, so I'm down for whatever action cartoon that dude is attached to.
Holy shit, he directed Flashpoint? That fight between Supes and Captain Atom was SICK. Yeah, this show is good hands.

Sou Da

This makes sense. The pilot suit colors do correspond to broad Sentai color tropes.

I doubt the colors will be switching up much in this one. Sven will likely die - this is speculation, not spoiler - and Keith will move to Black, while Allura takes Red. Red is close enough to pink that it works.

Wanna fix my title |OT|?

Got my free month of Netflix. Excited to watch this after work tomorrow. What we've seen of the art direction so far hasn't particularly wowed me, but the action looks on point.

Can't wait to dig into this. Netflix is gonna save the action cartoon genre.

Preach. Really hope this show turns out well and opens the door for a Netflix-produced third season of Young Justice. And maybe they'll consider scooping up LeSean Thomas's Cannonbusters, too.

Effect

I'm not sure how much I'm going to like that if Allura doesn't end up a pilot. That's a change I don't agree with it. Not killing Sven is fine but making Allura a non-pilot seems like a big step back. That was one of the best things about Voltron at the time.

Top Bottom