• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Aske

The Evil Within (2017 movie unrelated to game)...

...Fuck.

Gloriously weird, some spectacular imagery. Finale was...whew!

So, I was looking around at revenge thrillers (of the I Spot on Your Grave rape revenge variety) as I was in the mood for some and ended up stumbling across Landmine Goes Click. I

Don't watch Landmine Goes Click. It's fucking terrible and has one of the most abrupt and jarring endings I think I've ever seen. The premise was semi-interesting, but as soon as the credits rolled I couldn't help but stare at the screen in disbelief by how bad they fucked it all up.

Steamlord

So, I was looking around at revenge thrillers (of the I Spot on Your Grave rape revenge variety) as I was in the mood for some and ended up stumbling across Landmine Goes Click. I

Don't watch Landmine Goes Click. It's fucking terrible and has one of the most abrupt and jarring endings I think I've ever seen. The premise was semi-interesting, but as soon as the credits rolled I couldn't help but stare at the screen in disbelief by how bad they fucked it all up.

Try Ms. 45

J-Roderton

Yo horror gaf, how do you guys feel about found footage movies? I kind of have a soft spot for them.

My fiance and I really enjoy them actually. We've found several not great, but okay ones on Netflix.

Here's a few:
-Devil's Pass
-Grave Encounters
-The Sacrament
-Creep
-The Talking of Deborah Logan

And As Above So Below is one of my favorite horror films.

FYI, the Mist tv show starts tonight on Spike. Reviews are pretty mixed so far. I didn't have high hopes for this one as I'm not sure how you can really make a tv show out of it. Which is too bad, I'd love a decent horror tv show.

Check out American Mary

God I just saw Raw and thought it was pretty distrurbing. Very oppressive atmosphere. Very good job depicting how much of a mindfuck it can be to be a first year college student (at least in France). Very well chosen soundtrack too! Might not listen it every day but 'plus pute que routes les putes' is definitely... an interesting track.

Much better than ginger snaps imo - which I thought was interesting but a bit amateurish / heavy handed (still entertaining though, and with lots of 'heart').

Just saw hush and really liked it. Any recommendations on Netflix for similar movies?

you're next. awesome flick,
Kristy. It's pretty good, too.
Not entirely sure which is on netflix b/c im likely in a different zone than you.

but really, you should just rent raw and watch that instead ;)

Re: It Comes At Night.

Should I watch in theater? Just looking for yes or no answers.

I want to watch as blind as possible if I'm going to watch it in theater, so I haven't read anything and haven't watched the whole trailer. I saw the thread that said it was
mismarketed
and I didn't even want to know that much.

Aske

Watched The Treatment last night. Very solid horrific Dutch crime thriller. I might not call it horror per se, but it's on Shudder, and it's well crafted, with the potential to be incredibly disturbing. Recommended, but I'd skip it if you're a parent.

It's about a child killer/rapist; but it's more about the journey of the cop who's trying to catch him. Dude lost his own brother to a pedophile who kidnapped him when they were kids, and the creep spends the rest of his life popping out of the woodwork and torturing him with letters full of lies about his brother's fate. The police can't touch him, and there's no closure, so the cop just lives with this trauma like a perpetually open wound.

I wasn't especially disturbed, more impressed with the film; but it's certainly not an easy watch, and one that anyone triggered by sexual violence should definitely skip. On the How Distributing is the Pedophilia in This Movie? scale, I'd give it 6.5 Confused Child Journalists Listening to Michael Jackson Masturbating on the Phone out of 10. For reference, Serbian Film gets 5; Megan is Missing gets 10 and breaks the ratings system and makes me want to scrub my eyes with steel wool.

Also: don't fucking read the Shudder blurb about the movie. For a site created by fans of the genre and featuring specially curated content, they hamstrung this movie but dropping a massive plot point in the write up that you need to have fed to you by the movie. I'd have loved it to have hit me with all the force the director intended.

It's far less gory, but I'd say any fan on Se7en needs to get on this one.

Monocle

Glad you liked it. Yeah I would consider The Borderlands found footage.

There is this movie on Netflix called They're Watching that is pretty average up until the the last 30 minutes or so where it goes completely off the rails. It's pretty stupid but it's fun and I would suggest watching it.
I finally saw this, and yeah, you weren't kidding. Ridiculous but highly enjoyable. Even though I predicted the end fairly early, it was great fun to watch the story get there.

Re: It Comes At Night.

Should I watch in theater? Just looking for yes or no answers.

I want to watch as blind as possible if I'm going to watch it in theater, so I haven't read anything and haven't watched the whole trailer. I saw the thread that said it was
mismarketed
and I didn't even want to know that much.
Not necessary, because the story would hit just as hard at home. But the cinematography is great, and coupled with the sound design it makes for an absorbing theater experience.

Not necessary, because the story would hit just as hard at home. But the cinematography is great, and coupled with the sound design it makes for an absorbing theater experience.
Cool, thanks. Maybe I'll go but won't make it a priority. Which means I probably won't cuz I bet it won't be in theaters here for more than a couple more weeks.

Watched the descent, OK film, very predictable
I remember being disappointed it wasn't about the game. But if you're talking about the spelunking movie, I love that movie, and it's still rewatchable for me a decade later.

acohrs

I remember being disappointed it wasn't about the game. But if you're talking about the spelunking movie, I love that movie, and it's still rewatchable for me a decade later.

It's good but it didn't make me go wow. Preferred the director's other horror fiilm, dog soldiers

lordxar

Watched Beyond the Gates last night. It's a pretty fun movie and I actually thought it could have ran a bit longer even though it resolved well enough.

Enk

makes good threads.
After a thorough rewatch of the Phantasm series I have finally settled on my ranking of all five films.

Phantasm > Phantasm IV > Phantasm II > Phantasm III >>> Phantasm V

Before the rewatch I thought I was going to put PIV after PII but I ended up loving the overall quiet tone of the film. Also very good use of using cut footage for flashbacks. I was hoping PV would improve on second viewing, and while it very slightly did, it still comes off as a bad fan film for me.

Watched the descent, OK film, very predictable

Which ending did you get?

It's good but it didn't make me go wow. Preferred the director's other horror fiilm, dog soldiers
Dog Soldiers is a great film too. Actually I guess I like his movies in general (I remember liking Doomsday, can't remember Centurion). Dog Soldiers and Descent are the ones I've rewatched though.

Which ending did you get?
I forgot about the fake theatrical ending and the fact that there was a sequel.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I rewatched Doomsday the other day and was reminded that there's way too little of this lovely schlock produced. It really has a bit of everything: dystopian society behind a massive wall, (sorta)zombies, Mad Max-esque raiders/cannibals, medieval knights - chasing Bentleys, Rhona Mitra in spandex and then some. There's an heli gunship too to round it off. I read that Marshall (the director, now toiling away on various tv shows, among them Game of Thrones, Black Sails and Westworld) intended to use a 80s inspired synth soundtrack ala Carpenter.. Ah, that would've been grand. The actual soundtrack by Tyler Bates is pretty solid but playing it a whole lot safer.

T.O.P

Banned
Watched "Goodnight Mommy" last night and while i apprecciated the concept it was just wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too fuckin slow, i was almost tempted to skip a bit towards the end and i never, ever, do that

Watched "Goodnight Mommy" last night and while i apprecciated the concept it was just wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too fuckin slow, i was almost tempted to skip a bit towards the end and i never, ever, do that

That's a pretty accurate description of GM. I did enjoy it quite a lot though, very unsettling.

Recognize these guys, horror GAF?

Damn Raimi was young back then

Looks like this was taken around the making of Dawn. Neat.

After a thorough rewatch of the Phantasm series I have finally settled on my ranking of all five films.

Phantasm > Phantasm IV > Phantasm II > Phantasm III >>> Phantasm V

Before the rewatch I thought I was going to put PIV after PII but I ended up loving the overall quiet tone of the film. Also very good use of using cut footage for flashbacks. I was hoping PV would improve on second viewing, and while it very slightly did, it still comes off as a bad fan film for me.

Everything you wrote here is correct.

Enk

makes good threads.
Everything you wrote here is correct.

Rewatching Phantasm IV reminded me why it was such a perfect little end cap to the series, and in my opinion it's still where the series ended. You can tell when Coscarelli made that move he was making from the heart.

Phantasm V tried to be ambitious but completely collapses under its weight from poor direction, lack of budget, and story decisions that really does the series a disservice. How they handled the final scene ever with the Tall Man was a huge WTF. It really shows that Coscarelli didn't make this one. I did like its version of the main theme though. :-/

Melchiah

Just watched The Eyes of My Mother. It was a delightfully disturbing and eerie black & white film. Highly recommended.

HeXxCFx.jpg

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_eyes_of_my_mother_2016/
Critics Consensus:
The Eyes of My Mother uses a shocking trauma to fuel a hauntingly hypnotic odyssey whose nightmarish chill lingers long after the closing credits.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/the-eyes-of-my-mother-movie-review-w453371 (some spoilers in the full review)
By the time you've dropped your jaw over some gorgeously grotesque images ... and nearly lost your lunch over its pitiless brutality, you won't feel that you've watched this thrilling addition to backwoods guignol so much as been infected by it. Which is how good horror should operate.
This is what curdled Americana looks like – a Joel-Peter Witkin portfolio come to life and a vision of jus' folks weaned on isolation, madness, and good old Type O.

Saw "The Monster" yesterday. I really liked it once it got rolling, but it is very slow and
is heavy on mother-daughter relationship. But anyone raised by a single parent or a parent with a drinking problem will likely relate to some of it.
It's more of a sad movie than horror.

Not really spoilers and what i said there is established early, but i like going into movies completely blind myself. Nothing about this movie is really going to spoil your viewing though.

I think people will either appreciate it or hate it and turn it off mid way. If you're not into it by half way through it's probably not for you.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I just saw two thirds of what could have been one of the greatest horror films of all time. A Cure for Wellness.

Then the last third happened.

This for me is the most drastic falling apart relative to initial quality I have ever seen.

About two thirds of the way through I was convinced that Gore Verbinski was a reborn genius. A beautiful, haunting, startling genuinely uneasy blend of body and Lovecraftian horror with a huge dose of
the Dracula mythos.

And really it could all have been recovered by stopping at the
Tranfusion Flugel Villain Reveal/speech
. Or go to the end but
eschew the nonsensical happy ending.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I just saw two thirds of what might be one of the greatest horror films of all time.

This for me is the most drastic falling apart relative to initial quality I have ever seen.

About two thirds of the way through I was convinced that Gore Verbinski was a reborn genius. A beautiful, haunting, startling genuinely uneasy blend of body and Lovecraftian horror with a huge dose of
the Dracula mythos.

Tranfusion Flugelhorn Villain Reveal/speech
. Or go to the end but

I mean, it's obvious you're talking about The Cure For Wellness here, just so everyone knows. :p And yes, that's just how it is.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I mean, it's obvious you're talking about The Cure For Wellness here, just so everyone knows. :p And yes, that's just how it is.

OOPS. I wasn't doing that on purpose, editing to avoid accidentally spoiling.

I'd love to ask Verbinski about this. Because the ending of the film was so alien to the rest of it, that it must have been the studio. But I also can't believe a studio that meddlesome would go with that title. I imagine this would have made a ton of money if it had been called "Deathwater Castle" or "Dripping Terror" and been 50/50 auteur/schlock.

It's such a strange confounding film.

Full disclosure, I only watched it because I was on the plane and the dialog in King Kong Skull Island was so bad I quit in embarrassment.

I have a couple of questions about that too:

1. Chinese scientist literally comes out of nowhere, says about three lines and models cute clothes for no reason. I assume an insertion for Chinese audience/Tencent. I would not have minded her being in it if they had actually written her into it. And I wonder if the Chinese edit is different.
2. Dialog included (while the actors are walking to a cutthroat back alley dive) lines like, "I hear he can be found in a cutthroat back alley dive" and it's NON STOP. Like the screenwriter wasn't aware that some of this stuff would be visible on a screen.

But even with its fall apart ending, I genuinely enjoyed all of the good bits of A Cure for Wellness.

Rewatching Phantasm IV reminded me why it was such a perfect little end cap to the series, and in my opinion it's still where the series ended. You can tell when Coscarelli made that move he was making from the heart.

Phantasm V tried to be ambitious but completely collapses under its weight from poor direction, lack of budget, and story decisions that really does the series a disservice. How they handled the final scene ever with the Tall Man was a huge WTF. It really shows that Coscarelli didn't make this one. I did like its version of the main theme though. :-/

Yep, in Phantasm IV he had to be creative to get around the budget and the film is all the better for it. I've never read the proposed Avery script that was planned initially for the fourth installment, but it was nice to see the series reel back from the action horror approach. The use of deleted footage from the original Phantasm should have felt contrived, but somehow it fits perfectly. The final scene alone is wonderful and brings the series full circle. I didn't realize until after watching Ravager that a Phantasm V wasn't necessary at all because Oblivion ties up the ends it needed to. Even if that might not have been the original intent from Coscarelli and crew.

Phantasm V is just going to be one of those films I dislike the more I watch it, so I'm probably not going to include in future viewings of the series.

My fiance and I really enjoy them actually. We've found several not great, but okay ones on Netflix.

Here's a few:
-Devil's Pass
-Grave Encounters
-The Sacrament
-Creep
-The Talking of Deborah Logan

And As Above So Below is one of my favorite horror films.
Have you seen Afflicted?

I just saw two thirds of what could have been one of the greatest horror films of all time. A Cure for Wellness.

the Dracula mythos.

Tranfusion Flugel Villain Reveal/speech
. Or go to the end but
Felt the same way. The finale is just jarring in its shifts and tone

Aske

The Blackcoat's Daughter is my first 10 on imdb since Whiplash. LOOOOOVED it

Just watched this. What a beautifully crafted piece of horror cinema. Recommended for fans of The Witch, although in my opinion this was the better film. You'll disagree if you value character development over plot; but both films ooze atmosphere, and feel similarly dreamy and disconnected from reality.

Wonderful story, superbly told.

Monocle

The Blackcoat's Daughter is my first 10 on imdb since Whiplash. LOOOOOVED it
I saw this. Its visual and sound design are powerfully immersive, and the cast give some passionate performances. I liked the structure of the film. The plot is simple and effective.

It's an odd complaint, but I found myself wishing that the sinister elements had amounted to more. The narrative is so intimate, so focused on a minuscule handful of characters. Initially I expected the setting and the other students to have more of a role. I suppose the one thing I really missed was a bigger payoff than the scene of
the girl taking the severed heads and worshiping the Devil in the furnace room. I mean, of course she was going to do that. That image just didn't quite do it for me, not like the first time you see her sitting on the ground doing that creepy bowing.

Her violent actions and the time skip reveal are memorable punches to the gut.
I just wanted more. A more haunting image, a more interesting tableau after the
murder spree.
Maybe I was spoiled by Hannibal or something.

Anyway, the movie still gets my full endorsement. It was super well made.

Top Bottom