• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Narcosis - Deep Sea Horror Game releasing on March 28th; gets new Trailer/Screens

Whoa, hadn't heard of this game till now, but it's hitting all kinds of right notes for me. Definitely going to check it out soon. Bummed to hear about the sales though :(

Yep, that's the grim reality of having an "indie-sized" (read: non-existent) marketing budget. Hope you do have a chance to give it a shot; as a debut title, it's got its fair share of flaws and rough edges, but there's something clicking with the few folks who've played it, which is encouraging.

Looks way too colourful, lots of cramped spaces.
The visuals that the deep brings to us, the fear that we feel is when we see the vast- the unknown- the every expanding ocean of blackness while we sit on our tiny island of ignorance.

Interesting, that's... not a criticism we've gotten a lot of. To be fair, though, leaning too much on the inky black abyss would get fatiguing for a lot of folks, so we worked hard to create a sense of variety, while keeping things (relatively) "realistic."

I don't get one of the screenshots. He is supposed to be in a flooded building of some sort but the monitors still work?

It's actually explained in game via VO, but basically we needed to use light to minimize monotony, and to make the game a little less "relentlessly stressful." Also, as the survivor isn't in radio contact with anyone, we needed to use some screens to communicate goals and objectives. For sure it's a little less than "realistic," but, y'know... videogames.

I must have missed all and every news/infos about this game, but now that I've seen it I'm very interested in it. I hope it doesn't do the same with the controls that Adrift did, I didn't really like that in VR at all. I love underwarter settings so I guess I'll have to try it!

Well, there's not a lot of vertical movement, so you likely won't be frustrated. The core premise is that you're trapped in this bulky suit, pinned down by an ocean's worth of pressure, so it's really more about - ha - gravity, than weightlessness.

That sounds very intriguing. Is there run & hide type of gameplay elements in the game, like in SOMA and Outlast? Hopefully not, as I prefer exploration and puzzles in horror games that don't involve combat, like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter had.
EDIT: Just noticed few posts above, that it does have combat. I wonder how much of it is there?

In the interest of variety and emotional/intensity spikes, we worked hard to find the right combat-to-exploration ratio - maybe we didn't nail it just right, but (in my opinion, anyway, as the writer) exploration, puzzles and narrative are more of the core, than combat.

Will try throwing some money your way for the x1 version soonish, you guys deserve it! :)

Thanks, and hope to hear your thoughts if and when you do!

I'm sorry it's not doing well but going for Xbox One instead of PS4 was console suicide. Brand loyalty or whatever when the other platform is selling 20+ million consoles and is more open to games like this is not the brightest idea and people shouldn't be surprised at the results.

Tried to clarify above, but it's not a matter of "brand loyalty" or reluctance to bring the game to PS4, just a question of resources. We're a 'friends and family-funded,' first time team, and didn't have the engineering resources in house to tackle (any/either) console ourselves. What we did have was a generous offer of an engineer friend who was more comfortable working with Xbox, and had about a year's worth of "spare time" - so, we made that call, and ultimately weren't able to course-correct. As for sales, we've no idea yet how it's selling on Xbox, so who can say? But regardless, it will likely be a little bit before we can really think tackling PlayStation in earnest.

In any case, we're not surprised, nor are we complaining, per se. Rather, just a little saddened to see that - while the game's resonating well with the few folks who've played it, and for reasons they're not expecting - it's not reaching some/any sort of "tipping point." None of us expected to be buying our own tropical islands with the launch of the game, but having put years of work into trying to do something different, it's just a little disheartening to see people watching (and enjoying it) on YouTube/Twitch, and then moving on to the next thing. The conventional wisdom is that if you can get some "big" streamers to play the game, you'll see some sort of sales spike, but - in our case, anyway - that hasn't proven to be true.

I assume Cthulhu is going to be putting in an appearance given the use of the phases "sanity meter" and "deep sea horror"?

Sorry, but no. There are plenty of games that tap into that territory (and do so quite well), but here we really wanted to try and do something "different" and a little more grounded. As an example, we discussed many times having the player fight a giant squid (it's obvious, and obviously awesome). But not only would it have been very, very costly to do, we'd have needed to have it show up more than once (to justify the dev time), and that would have felt... a little silly, you know? We tried to make it feel like the enemies in this game aren't "evil," just attracted to light and heat, and in the mood for a snack.

There is one tiny homage to Lovecraft in the game, but - like a lot of other secrets and Easter eggs - no one's yet picked up on them. References to indie-games, indie-rock, and some just plain weird stuff abounds, nestled within the props and posters in the habitat(s), while some of the other hints are a lot more.... in your face:

GpV6Y29l.png

Nev

Banned
Okay, corrected about the console thing then.

Anyways I'm sorry but the game doesn't really scream "NEW" and fresh to me judging by the promo material. I'm sure the game has some surprises and whatnot but the promo material is literally SOMA
ish
, which may or not be intentional and is not a bad thing per se but it really doesn't look like a groundbreaking concept from the outside and that's why maybe a lot of people haven't jumped in?

These kind of games have decent legs though and you'll get a bump with Steam sales anyways. Take into consideration however that Outlast 2 and RE7 to a lesser extent are –and will be– overshadowing it for obvious reasons, even if they're not necessarily better games.

The thing is, the survival horror market has evolved considerably since its renaissance in 2011~ and it's a much more competitive environment now. Back then, even shovelware titles like that slenderman game could be succesful but that's not the case anymore.

Anyways, bumping for visibility and because hardworking passionate devs making survival horror games deserve the attention.

Fox Mulder

Neat game.

Looks good, has a great atmosphere, and is claustrophobic. The controls and movement really convey a slow heavy suit under water. I just turned out the lights, cranked up the audio and enjoyed the experience. It has flaws, but I dig it.

The grounded situation and tension won't be for everyone, already seen people hate the controls for being slow or whatever.

mantidor

I so want to try this out of support even when it's absolutely in the "nope" territory for me, I got anxious just playing the abyss missions in Endless Ocean for the Wii,

Nemesis_

Yeah this is a an amazing concept but I felt like the whole thing was let down by it's budget. Which is hard to critique because I'm sure it wasn't the developers fault.

Just finished the game. It's a really amazing experience. They completely nailed the atmosphere, the story and the terror bits. I probably was very tense along the whole ride (in a very good way).

So sad to hear about the game not selling, hope it picks up because the team definitely deserves it.

Those aren't monsters, that's just normal sea life.

Which is way more terrifying.
Yeah, specially when the first enemy introduced is the god damn spider (
which remains the most terrifying enemy through the whole game
) and I was like

ay_106335852.jpg

Holy shit that thing is real XD Made the whole thing that much disturbing.

gabbo

Yeah, specially when the first enemy introduced is the god damn spider (
which remains the most terrifying enemy through the whole game
) and I was like

ay_106335852.jpg

Holy shit that thing is real XD Made the whole thing that much disturbing.
Nuke that thing from orbit! Wtf.. that's in the game!?

MadSexual

I would totally give this a whirl. Not that they don't deserve the asking price, but I hope the team is open to a deep cut Steam sale. Games like this can be real impulse buys, and all it takes is some good word of mouth to get the ball rolling enough to have made it at least worth while.

I would totally give this a whirl. Not that they don't deserve the asking price, but I hope the team is open to a deep cut Steam sale. Games like this can be real impulse buys, and all it takes is some good word of mouth to get the ball rolling enough to have made it at least worth while.

Totally agreed . And yes, we'll put it on sale eventually, but probably not for some time. Totally get that $20 seems too high for some folks, but we really see the game as being a short, sweet narrative affair along the lines of Gone Home or Firewatch - we set out to tell a specific story, as well as we could, with limited means . For sure some folks (understandably) won't feel they're getting enough bang for the buck, but we've got fingers crossed that there's the "right" audience out there for our little labor of love... And that we can find them.

In any case, here are a few more keys. Would love to hear your thoughts (yes, even the bad ones), but before you hop in to claim, please remember that this is more of a slow-burn, psychological thriller, and not so much of a flat-out jumpscare fest. So if more ambient, narrative-driven fare isn't your thing, please consider leaving the key(s) for others, thanks!

LiI7vOOl.png

Xbox:
  • QWJRR-CW734-K3PV3-J3HG9-2VVTZ
  • 6JY3P-D3234-R7TW3-4CM7V-4V4TZ
  • YWG4H-HX6TV-KHTYW-KWWRY-3DHTZ (claimed)
  • RJ493-Q7F6Q-MQYMD-WM2DC-R6HWZ (claimed)
  • KVJ6R-CKMXD-YRVXP-PYQKM-6XT6Z (claimed)
Steam:
  • HYRVI-E0BTD-LLNYD (claimed)
  • 6CNHB-WW9LK-9CWCB (claimed)
  • RYBB0-N59ZH-4WV5I (claimed)
  • 9365K-BAYHL-JRNEL (claimed)
  • A2I82-QM2AL-2QABG (claimed)
Oculus:
  • NFYDB-GUEM2-3W0BF-FMFX0-GO6VW
  • S1062-T36X0-3FJVH-GRUBJ-WYDB3
  • 1ZEQS-SLUNC-EGWRK-F8QYI-74FK5
  • 5V7R2-YH2HT-T4DS5-XT9ZP-6JOVQ (claimed)
  • PZH3L-IKCYO-8NL6O-ZZGBP-JOX6T

Thanks you for the code drop.
Managed to grab
RJ493-Q7F6Q-MQYMD-WM2DC-R6HWZ

Will definitely play through and give me thoughts on it, cheers.

Haeleos

Steam:
  • 9365K-BAYHL-JRNEL

Grabbed this one. Thanks for posting these keys! I'm really looking forward to playing it. I convinced a friend of mine (a popular streamer) to also pick up the game, so along with my thoughts on it, I'll be sure to give you a heads up when she's going to start streaming her playthrough.

gabbo

In any case, here are a few more keys. Would love to hear your thoughts (yes, even the bad ones), but before you hop in to claim, please remember that this is more of a slow-burn, psychological thriller, and not so much of a flat-out jumpscare fest. So if more ambient, narrative-driven fare isn't your thing, please consider leaving the key(s) for others, thanks!

LiI7vOOl.png

See now THAT got me more interested. I was expecting jump scares galore, with big scary ocean creatures popping out of the dark nonstop. I will definitely seek it out now. Any chance you'll be on GOG in the future?

Akakage

Neo Member
Oculus:
  • 5V7R2-YH2HT-T4DS5-XT9ZP-6JOVQ

Thanks for the key. I played the intro and I'm enjoying it so far. Very interested to see where the story goes and so far I really like the atmosphere. Decided to go ahead and pick it up on Xbox to give some support.

Thanks for the key. I played the intro and I'm enjoying it so far. Very interested to see where the story goes and so far I really like the atmosphere. Decided to go ahead and pick it up on Xbox to give some support.

Awesome, enjoy! The story takes a while to get going - maybe too long - but by and large, folks seem to be digging it for being, well, different. Would be cool to hear your thoughts sometime down the line...

One tip (with regards to the story): consider turning the subtitles off, for the "full effect." We localized into eleven languages at launch, so out of deference to non-English speakers, we defaulted to "on," but for sure it's best when it's just you and the suit and the voice.

See now THAT got me more interested. I was expecting jump scares galore, with big scary ocean creatures popping out of the dark nonstop. I will definitely seek it out now. Any chance you'll be on GOG in the future?

Hey sorry, probably not on GOG any time too soon - at least a couple of months out (if at all).

Faynwulf

All of the STEAM keys have been used. Guess I'll buy it now.

Normally horror games have pretty much no effect on me. But the trailer of this game alone made made me super nervous and even jump at one point. This brings all my fears into one game.

The prospect of me shitting my pants makes me definitely interested. :p

A.Romero

Steam keys are all used, just an FYI.

I'll give the game a try very soon, it looks very interesting.

Also wanted to thank you for using regional pricing in Mexico.

Steam keys are all used, just an FYI.

I'll give the game a try very soon, it looks very interesting.

Also wanted to thank you for using regional pricing in Mexico.

Thanks for the heads up re: keys.

As for pricing, yep - I think part of it comes from the fact that we're an international team, so we tried to be sensitive to stuff like that. I'm on the West Coast, but most everyone else is in France. Same goes for localizing into all those languages (which was... challenging), and even in our world-building. We took efforts within reason to dial down the North Americentrism, as you'll see when it comes to the world and crew, etc.

Played through the game today, basically in 2 sittings.

I can't really say much about how much "horror" the game has as I'm not really frightened by horrorgames anymore, even in VR I'm only temporarilly spooked for a second if something unexpected happens. I know when something is supposed to be scary or foreboding, but I mostly simply don't really get any adrenalin going from that.

So my main draw with this game is not the horror part, it's the setting. I love the ocean and the deep sea, I've seen many nature films/documentaries about the deep sea and squids and I think this game does a very good job at representing that. On that basis alone I think the game is worth it to be experienced.

It's not a very long game but I feel like it's the right length for what it is trying to convey, if it would be longer I think it could start to drag a bit so I'm absolutetly ok with that, the narration was very well done and bonus points for the ending!

Anyway, what I didn't like as much was that it was a seated experience with gamepad. I'll be honest, I do not like playing VR games sitting down and using a standard game controller. When I saw the controller mismatch in Steam VR I was instantly put off and was thinking about putting the game on the backlog of VR games.
Having played The Solus Project right before this, it felt archaic to control and uncompfortable to navigate the environments, even if the intention was to have the feel of a heavy diving suit, i'm a firm believer in roomscale with tracked VR controllers, the game would be way more enjoyable with turning your actually body and using your real hands for everything you do inside the game! simply pressing buttons on a gamepad doesn't cut it!

Overall I'm happy to have played the game and would recommend it to people that think the same way about the setting as I do. I actually think the price is fair, even if the length is only a couple of hours... I usually dismiss games if they are too short and don't cost 10-15 bucks at max and try to sell for higher prices. But as I said, I love the setting so I may be biased.

ps. Are the pictures of the crew member pics of the dev team? I always find that interesting and funny.

Played through the game today, basically in 2 sittings.

I can't really say much about how much "horror" the game has as I'm not really frightened by horrorgames anymore, even in VR I'm only temporarilly spooked for a second if something unexpected happens. I know when something is supposed to be scary or foreboding, but I mostly simply don't really get any adrenalin going from that.

So my main draw with this game is not the horror part, it's the setting. I love the ocean and the deep sea, I've seen many nature films/documentaries about the deep sea and squids and I think this game does a very good job at representing that. On that basis alone I think the game is worth it to be experienced.

It's not a very long game but I feel like it's the right length for what it is trying to convey, if it would be longer I think it could start to drag a bit so I'm absolutetly ok with that, the narration was very well done and bonus points for the ending!

ps. Are the pictures of the crew member pics of the dev team? I always find that interesting and funny.

Hey thanks for sharing your thoughts, and sorry for the delay. Yes, we definitely struggled a bit in messaging the game - while it's scary (esp. if water isn't your thing), we always made an effort to refer to it as a survival story, or a psychological thriller - not to mention the fact that it wasn't VR-only... But you know how it goes: "underwater VR survival horror" is just catchier for the press to say.

In the few interviews we did, we tried to name-check games like Dear Esther, Gone Home and Firewatch during the inevitable "what were some of your influences?" question, but - again, not surprisingly/due to the fact that so much of the narrative stuff is better experienced, than explained via bullet point - it was hard to make those bits stick. In any case - and along those lines - thanks for the kudos on the narration and the story. As the writer, I had to sit on a lot of those "secrets" for several years, so it's nice to see that all that effort paid off with the folks who've had a chance to play it...

And along those line - and in time for the weekend - here are a few more keys for folks to claim. Really after all that hard work, for us we just want folks to have a chance to play the game, before it descends into utter obscurity forever... Enjoy (and please let folks know when the keys have been claimed, thanks)

Steam keys:
  • 3HMMJ-TG476-9J62T
  • 5MQXQ-TKE4N-E36W2
  • 8XA2A-2NHZ3-6WK4I
  • AM6WJ-KP2C3-9MHTT
  • RDTL9-V82DC-7WNBQ
Xbox keys:
  • VF9C4-XPWGD-GV46R-VDP4Q-TJ6YZ
  • Y76VJ-DMRWW-VCYK2-WVGCX-4J3KZ
  • FQR32-GFJ4D-3YQT3-3HJDC-MMCYZ
  • 3FRHK-29R4K-HFFXR-G6WWW-M379Z
  • 27DF7-3Q2KF-VRGGJ-YX2K6-HTMGZ
Oculus keys:
PA9B1-YCDJL-O0WTR-BC
  • YCT-VP7XH
  • TEZM4-02XVY-HGXPB-4NM8P-UPCIG
  • YRSQW-SS78G-DCW4U-HXKX7-6CM3R

Oh shit, had my eyes on this a long while back but i kinda forgot about it some point. ( think i mixed it's release up with SOMA, which took place in the deep sea too).

I snagged one of the keys, excited to get into it once i get through RIME. AM6WJ-KP2C3-9MHTT Thanks!

Rasta, thank you for the code. I claimed this one:

3FRHK-29R4K-HFFXR-G6WWW-M379Z

I will pop in this thread after I play this weekend and let you know what I think and talk the game up for you. It looks great. I hope the game is performing well enough for you!

Hey thanks for sharing your thoughts, and sorry for the delay. Yes, we definitely struggled a bit in messaging the game - while it's scary (esp. if water isn't your thing), we always made an effort to refer to it as a survival story, or a psychological thriller - not to mention the fact that it wasn't VR-only... But you know how it goes: "underwater VR survival horror" is just catchier for the press to say.

In the few interviews we did, we tried to name-check games like Dear Esther, Gone Home and Firewatch during the inevitable "what were some of your influences?" question, but - again, not surprisingly/due to the fact that so much of the narrative stuff is better experienced, than explained via bullet point - it was hard to make those bits stick. In any case - and along those lines - thanks for the kudos on the narration and the story. As the writer, I had to sit on a lot of those "secrets" for several years, so it's nice to see that all that effort paid off with the folks who've had a chance to play it...

And along those line - and in time for the weekend - here are a few more keys for folks to claim. Really after all that hard work, for us we just want folks to have a chance to play the game, before it descends into utter obscurity forever... Enjoy (and please let folks know when the keys have been claimed, thanks)

Steam keys:
  • 3HMMJ-TG476-9J62T
  • 5MQXQ-TKE4N-E36W2
  • 8XA2A-2NHZ3-6WK4I
  • AM6WJ-KP2C3-9MHTT
  • RDTL9-V82DC-7WNBQ
Xbox keys:
  • VF9C4-XPWGD-GV46R-VDP4Q-TJ6YZ
  • Y76VJ-DMRWW-VCYK2-WVGCX-4J3KZ
  • FQR32-GFJ4D-3YQT3-3HJDC-MMCYZ
  • 3FRHK-29R4K-HFFXR-G6WWW-M379Z
  • 27DF7-3Q2KF-VRGGJ-YX2K6-HTMGZ
Oculus keys:
PA9B1-YCDJL-O0WTR-BC
  • YCT-VP7XH
  • TEZM4-02XVY-HGXPB-4NM8P-UPCIG
  • YRSQW-SS78G-DCW4U-HXKX7-6CM3R
Was planning on getting this at some point, claimed 5MQXQ-TKE4N-E36W2! Thank you so much!

Harlequin

That looks awesome! Shame I don't have a VR headset (yet). I kind of would prefer it if you could actually swim, though, instead of basically just walking underwater. I get that that probably wouldn't work as well in VR but it'd make the gameplay feel more unique.

Looks like all the Steam keys have been taken.

Thank you, so much, for doing this, though. Buying a copy because I've had this on my wishlist for a while, and your generosity is really awesome.

Played a bit on Oculus (thanks to RastaGundams giveaway) and I really have to say its currentlyy one of the best horror games for VR.

I nearly pissed myself playing it and the atmosphere is just so tense. Besides that it looks gorgeous (I would say one of the best looking VR games).

I would recommend picking it up during the sale if you have VR headset at least!

JoeLT

Seeing as this is the only real thread on here about this game. How is it performance/IQ wise on Xbox One? It's on sale and the trailer sold me, love these kind of games. I don't want to waste my money though if it's an unstable fps, tearing, sub HD mess that so many indie games unfortunately turn out being. Anyone played it on xbox that can chime in?

Seeing as this is the only real thread on here about this game. How is it performance/IQ wise on Xbox One? It's on sale and the trailer sold me, love these kind of games. I don't want to waste my money though if it's an unstable fps, tearing, sub HD mess that so many indie games unfortunately turn out being. Anyone played it on xbox that can chime in?
Really good. Not sure if 1080p native (but it looks as if, IQ is very very clean), and after I finished I looked at some PC footage and the xbone seems to use high settings.

Performance is great too, only minor hiccups here and there.

Finished on xbone and completely recommend the game.

zorbsie

Really good. Not sure if 1080p native (but it looks as if, IQ is very very clean), and after I finished I looked at some PC footage and the xbone seems to use high settings.

Performance is great too, only minor hiccups here and there.

Finished on xbone and completely recommend the game.

Was thinking of picking this up on the xbox. This info and the sale sold me. Thanks dude!

Forgot that I had posted in this thread that I would post a review after playing. Now months later, I never did finish it, but it was interesting what I had played for about two hours. It left a lot to be desired graphically and something didn’t quite feel right in character control. It may have been a deliberate design choice though given the situation. I would recommend it on sale, unless you’re just looking for something to play solo and tell you a story.

Finished it today in VR.

Was a great experience, especially the hallucinations. Liked the ending and all the small details in the lockers of the crew.

Top Bottom