• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Going to be playing this game for the first time tomorrow.

Any tips for a newcomer? Besides the general stuff a person should already know playing by already playing Dark Souls

Sarcasm

Any tips for a newcomer? Besides the general stuff a person should already know playing by already playing Dark Souls

It is not like DS at all =p Kind of like ninja gaiden meets diablo loot with some DS shortcuts.

I also started first time if you want to do a bunch of CoOp stuff hit me up.

Milijango

Souls experience does pay off eventually, but don't expect it to click right away. Luckily, there's not too much that you need to know right off the bat and it's easy to respec. Take your time to understand how ki works, and I'd recommend getting the perk that turns your dodges into ki pulses first.

Sarcasm

The only thing I am using from soulsborne is spotting ambushes and discovering shortcuts.

Otherwise evading is different. Feels really different.

More or less playing it more like ninja gaiden.

Though a lot of the strategy I use in soulsborne is what I would do in real life. Guess that translates.

At least not ds1. That was hide behind a shield turtle fest.

Ok seriously.

I did EVERYTHING before patch 1.06 and never got a 160 weapon. Now, when I recently updated to 1.06 I got the Shiranui smithing text, which people claim to be the best kusarigama in the game and I only have 6 ogress claws, which only lets me forge 3 of those and even with save on usb drive abuse, I keep forging since 4 hours without luck.

HOW THE HELL DO I GET A SHIRANUI LV160!?

KWzzTbkhDvmQU.gif

Baalzebup

Why obsess over the weapon type? Any melee weapon you manage to forge at lv 160 can be used as fodder to upgrade any other melee weapon to lv 160. Just forge whatever, not the specific weapon you want to get to lv 160.

Baalzebup

Question so you need to switch armour often? I just sell or offer it all away.

I really probably should just read a guide.
Depends. Defense and Damage Reduction definitely do not *not* matter, but there are plenty of other factors to consider. The easiest way to work the armor meta is to farm the good shit from revenants, but eventually it is ideal to learn the stuff yourself. The gear meta may not be all that interesting, per se, but the difference between optimized gear and just slapping on whatever you find can be staggering.

As for the loot you find no use for, you'll actually want to dismantle all non-white gear and sell the components instead of just selling them straight out, at least early in the game. The maxed out profits fill eventually swing the other way once the items levels increase, starting with the yellows, followed by the blues and finally by the purples, but for a while, the non-white components will universally sell for more than the intact pieces of gear.

Edit: Mind you, never sell the demonic smithing materials.

xuchu

You're a ninja gaiden vet aren't you? You'll be more than fine once you master ki pulsing and flux, which is akin to a gears of war active reload system for your stamina. This allows you to play much more aggressively than you ever would in a souls game. Dodging has less iframes than in souls and certainly less than bloodborne so dodging through attacks is far less viable but certainly doable in low stance. Switching stances on the fly while fighting will bring that character action gameplay to the forefront as well.

Low stance = low but very quick damage, bloodborne/ninja gaiden style dodging
Mid stance = balanced damage, consecutive dodging will result in a roll
High stance = Big damage, very slow hits, dodging will always result in a roll

Feel free to play around with whatever weapons, skills and builds that interest you as it's very easy to respec. I recommend getting the kick skill for which ever weapon you are using, first and foremost, as this will teach you the importance of ki (stamina) damage. A big difference from souls is that you can see enemy ki(stamina) under their health. Once you've depleted it you can go in for a grapple move while they're vulnerable. There are different types of ki depending on if the enemy is human or yokai but you'll learn that and the differing ways to deal with them. I then recommend getting the ki pulse while dodging skill for each stance soon after that.

While it certainly wears its souls influences on its sleeve, I would also adjust your expectations depending on what souls means to you. If it means lore and level design, you will be disappointed by Nioh. What Nioh does have is a sublime combat system with diablo/destiny loot and mission structure. And you know team ninja, their stories are always batshit insane. Hope you have fun.

Well that depends on your play style but
way of the strong
requires a whole different approach.

For sure. Just saying Nioh can play exactly like the souls game. I haven't gotten to that part you mention, assuming that's a area or late-game mechanic. But of course its different for everyone. I should attempt remember some of the combos and moves more :lol

Deku Tree

For sure. Just saying Nioh can play exactly like the souls game. I haven't gotten to that part you mention, assuming that's a area or late-game mechanic. But of course its different for everyone. I should attempt remember some of the combos and moves more :lol

It is
way of the strong
is Nioh version of
NG+
. That's where the game becomes more like diablo 3 than Souls.

The biggest difference imo betweeen Nioh and Souls is the dodge is much weaker in Nioh. If you relied on the generous iframes in the dodge roll in DS3 then your gonna struggle with doing that in Nioh.

You're a ninja gaiden vet aren't you? You'll be more than fine once you master ki pulsing and flux, which is akin to a gears of war active reload system for your stamina. This allows you to play much more aggressively than you ever would in a souls game. Dodging has less iframes than in souls and certainly less than bloodborne so dodging through attacks is far less viable but certainly doable in low stance. Switching stances on the fly while fighting will bring that character action gameplay to the forefront as well.

Low stance = low but very quick damage, bloodborne/ninja gaiden style dodging
Mid stance = balanced damage, consecutive dodging will result in a roll
High stance = Big damage, very slow hits, dodging will always result in a roll

Feel free to play around with whatever weapons, skills and builds that interest you as it's very easy to respec. I recommend getting the kick skill for which ever weapon you are using, first and foremost, as this will teach you the importance of ki (stamina) damage. A big difference from souls is that you can see enemy ki(stamina) under their health. Once you've depleted it you can go in for a grapple move while they're vulnerable. There are different types of ki depending on if the enemy is human or yokai but you'll learn that and the differing ways to deal with them. I then recommend getting the ki pulse while dodging skill for each stance soon after that.

While it certainly wears its souls influences on its sleeve, I would also adjust your expectations depending on what souls means to you. If it means lore and level design, you will be disappointed by Nioh. What Nioh does have is a sublime combat system with diablo/destiny loot and mission structure. And you know team ninja, their stories are always batshit insane. Hope you have fun.

Thanks for the very informative post. And I guess you could say that - I've been into these types of action games ever since I was a teenager (Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, God Hand, Bayonetta etc, and Dark Souls series since it released, I love them all!) Honestly can't believe I beat Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) when it was first release, being 12 or so and all. So I am familiar with these kinds of games, and truth be told I played a bit of Nioh alpha and while its obvious that they used Dark Souls as a base it seems very much its own game too which is great. I haven't seen much Ninja Gaiden in the game yet because there is no constant roll-jumping and flying swallow attacks ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). So Nioh is all about cancelling attacks rather than relying on dodging? Is there any parry move?

Deku Tree

Been playing some Tori Gate random encounters yesterday and today to get back into Nioh before the first DLC drops.

Wow choosing specific missions to Co-Op is dead, even if you choose the specific Twilight missions I can never find someone looking for co-op. Feels dead.

But choosing random encounters in the Tori Gate so far always found me someone to help in co-op quickly. It's fun to just help out.

xuchu

Thanks for the very informative post. And I guess you could say that - I've been into these types of action games ever since I was a teenager (Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, God Hand, Bayonetta etc, and Dark Souls series since it released, I love them all!) Honestly can't believe I beat Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) when it was first release, being 12 or so and all. So I am familiar with these kinds of games, and truth be told I played a bit of Nioh alpha and while its obvious that they used Dark Souls as a base it seems very much its own game too which is great. I haven't seen much Ninja Gaiden in the game yet because there is no constant roll-jumping and flying swallow attacks ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). So Nioh is all about cancelling attacks rather than relying on dodging? Is there any parry move?

Nice. I have similar history with character action games and spent countless hours playing ninja gaiden black back in the day. I find it the best out of the big three (even though I still love bayonetta and DMC3 for different reasons) due to the animations and how each move matters especially on master ninja. Trying to complete eternal legend mission on 360 to unlock all the costumes again but I just don't have the time to practice as much as when I was a teenager.

With regards to Nioh, yeah there's no constant roll-jumping, shuriken cancels or izuna drops here but parrying feels great. After you've learnt the basics with kicking and stance switching, I would recommend getting the haze 2 (parry) katana skill and then iai-strike. You can wombo combo a parry into a fully charged iai-strike into a finishing blow while the enemy is on the ground for huge damage and it feels so satisfying to pull off.

Here are a couple of videos showing and explaining some of the mechanics but definitely spend some time looking the skill tree videos in game and experiment as a cheap respec book is available once you unlock the blacksmith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp04chA_DFE - rbfrosty basic and advanced mechanics tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuALceDtgk&t=188s - simple katana parry combo tutorial

Yeah I agree, Nioh is heavily inspired by souls but stands on its own two feet. It's not without flaws but team ninja have done very well here. They've certainly come a long way from the abysmal ninja gaiden 3.

Huh. So I finished the mission
The Source of Evil
, and while the mission was finished and new sub-missions popped up, as well as the ability to move on to the next region, no checkmark appeared over the mission marker. Is there something more to this or is it just a little glitch?

Huh. So I finished the mission
The Source of Evil
, and while the mission was finished and new sub-missions popped up, as well as the ability to move on to the next region, no checkmark appeared over the mission marker. Is there something more to this or is it just a little glitch?

Did you also finish the
Kuroda's Determination
sub-mission that's also on the same location?

Sarcasm

Anybody have any suggestions when it comes to doing sub missions? Do I do them all than I do story? Repeat?

I also have started dismantling everything and keeping it.

I literally also have no friends on PSN lol...=( The few I do don't play Nioh.

Deku Tree

Anybody have any suggestions when it comes to doing sub missions? Do I do them all than I do story? Repeat?

I also have started dismantling everything and keeping it.

I literally also have no friends on PSN lol...=( The few I do don't play Nioh.

Do the sub missions until you get bored and then move on to the main missions. The sub missions are good to help you level up to be ready for the future main missions.

Add me on PSN if you want. My PSN is in my profile.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Well,I just finished The Last of Us as my first Pro game. My second will be Nioh, which just arrived in the post. I'm pretty excited as it seems a mix of Destiny and Dark Souls, which sounds pretty awesome.

I've just watched the Digital Foundry tech video. Is that still accurate? They say action mode is the way to go, but I would really like to play it at native 4k. Have they patched out the jutter? I know 60 is preferable, but the vid really left me with a bad impression of variable and movie mode.

Have updates helped?

Deku Tree

Well,I just finished The Last of Us as my first Pro game. My second will be Nioh, which just arrived in the post. I'm pretty excited as it seems a mix of Destiny and Dark Souls, which sounds pretty awesome.

I've just watched the Digital Foundry tech video. Is that still accurate? They say action mode is the way to go, but I would really like to play it at native 4k. Have they patched out the jutter? I know 60 is preferable, but the vid really left me with a bad impression of variable and movie mode.

Have updates helped?

Just play in action mode. Game is very fast. You don't want movie mode.

Looks much better than TLoU which is really a PS3 game.

Started playing this, having a lot of fun. Just beat the annoying Hino-enma (2nd main mission boss).

My PSN is on my profile if anyone wants to play coop. I am playing now.

Sarcasm

So I got some item to hand to the blacksmith.

I looked at forge and a pane popped up with a row of items that you can adjust the count of. I couldn't get past this screen. I have plenty of stuff, do I need to set to max or something?

Milijango

So I got some item to hand to the blacksmith.

I looked at forge and a pane popped up with a row of items that you can adjust the count of. I couldn't get past this screen. I have plenty of stuff, do I need to set to max or something?

I wouldn't bother with smithing until you beat the game. You'll be replacing your weapon at least once per mission, on average.

I hope the NG+ versions of DLC levels aren't too high level. I haven't beaten any of the first patch boss run levels because they're just too much.

Is it true you need to be like lvl 700+ for the DLC?

I like your name.

Though, I just leveled myself from Level 300 to 750 with Marobashi mission and Mizuchi guardian.

My setup, was stockpile like 200 sake. 9 guardian talismans, Kodama bowl, all kodamas of course and amrita blessing.

I went from 300 to 750 from 10:00 to 01:00. I watched my favorite anime on the laptop next to me. So I wasn't bored.

Deku Tree

I like your name.

Though, I just leveled myself from Level 300 to 750 with Marobashi mission and Mizuchi guardian.

My setup, was stockpile like 200 sake. 9 guardian talismans, Kodama bowl, all kodamas of course and amrita blessing.

I went from 300 to 750 from 10:00 to 01:00. I watched my favorite anime on the laptop next to me. So I wasn't bored.

How do you get 200 sake?

Top Bottom