• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IDC: Sony shipped more than 500,000 headsets in the three months through June

MattAces

It will SHIP more in the coming months.

neko-atsume-vr-t.jpg

Smokey

I've actually noticed more sets on store shelves as of late, namely at Best Buy. I've gone to a few different locations across the city and check out the game section out of habit. I've noticed 2-3 PSVR headsets on the floor.

reKon

Banned
How much of a better experience is this compared to Gear VR? Is the image more clear? You can sell see pixels right?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Excellent. Keep shipping more and selling more. The more PSVR/VR users in general, the better.

ffvorax

Nice to hear! I got a PSVR on launch so I'm happy to know if it still sell well. VR is really a fantastic technology and I hope it get even better in the future!

Harlequin

WTF at House's comments? Why on earth would you say something like that about a very successful platform that your company is making money on?

And this is through a PR filter. These are the same guys that polish BOHICA turds like F2P models on premium games as some amazing compassion by "giving players more choice".

If you're thinking long-term, then I think that comment make some sense. The less diverse the VR market is now and the less big players there are in it, the higher a chance there is of it derailing (and that puts a lot of responsibility on Sony's shoulders as they're the most successful player in the VR game right now). And PSVR would benefit from the VR market as a whole being bigger because there'd be more third-party developers creating VR content which could make its way to PSVR. He's probably looking at how healthy the VR market is as a whole and how that might affect PSVR's future rather than just at how much money they're raking in with PSVR right now.

Batman was one of my best video gaming moments in my 40 yrs of gaming. Saying that, the set up in my situation with all the wires has me hardly ever using it.
What I'm getting at is when we go wireless I see VR really taking off.

I think Farpoint 2 is all but inevitable......that game and the Aim Controller really is the hot item for VR owners during that month when it's released

Digital0Reality

Neo Member
If you're thinking long-term, then I think that comment make some sense. The less diverse the VR market is now and the less big players there are in it, the higher a chance there is of it derailing (and that puts a lot of responsibility on Sony's shoulders as they're the most successful player in the VR game right now). And PSVR would benefit from the VR market as a whole being bigger because there'd be more third-party developers creating VR content which could make its way to PSVR. He's probably looking at how healthy the VR market is as a whole and how that might affect PSVR's future rather than just at how much money they're raking in with PSVR right now.

Oculus will survive. They have reiterated time and time again that they are operating on a 10+ year plan for VR.
I think Sony is actually worried at the aspect of VR blowing up because it is perfect for a platform like PC.
It would be a nightmare to support VR headsets on console in the future due to the space requirements and potential for add-ons etc.

kyser73

WTF at House's comments? Why on earth would you say something like that about a very successful platform that your company is making money on?

And this is through a PR filter. These are the same guys that polish BOHICA turds like F2P models on premium games as some amazing compassion by "giving players more choice".

Because being a big fish in a teeny tiny pond isn't good for you, the other fish or the health of the pond.

Nikodemos' post upthread, while IMO overly negative, nails where House's concerns lie..,but then, as I have contended, House is lukewarm on the whole project.

Shin

Banned
So that brings us to 1.4m+ shipped since it's release then no?
IIRC 900k units were shipped since it's release till February?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Nice to hear! I got a PSVR on launch so I'm happy to know if it still sell well. VR is really a fantastic technology and I hope it get even better in the future!
This my friend, is guaranteed. I hope PSVR2 makes the first iteration look like the Virtual Boy lol.

Blam

Shipped? lol so they didn't sell anything then.

e: Just find it really weird they didn't mention sales, but mentioned shipping units. Many companies can ship units and then say they shipped a lot. I'd rather hear a sales number then how much they shipped.

rambis

Banned

Shipped? lol so they didn't sell anything then

I rarely come over to gaming but are the trolls still this bad?

Demand for Sony's PSVR remained unmatched amongst the top tier of tethered headsets. The launch of Farpoint along with the VR aim controller combined with some sustained demand for Resident Evil 7 boded well for Sony. Outside of gaming, Sony is also working on bringing other experiences to the VR platform by partnering with Hollywood creators. Despite its success, Sony still announced a modest price cut for the PSVR that should help drive sustained growth through the end of the year.

If Andrew isn't comfortable leading the pack and wants all VR sets to do well then maybe they shouldn't be getting involved with 3rd party exclusive deals.

The original Kinect sold tons of units too

I'd be more interested in seeing usage data on the headsets sold

Unlike Kinect VR actually works well for gaming.

If Andrew isn't comfortable leading the pack and wants all VR sets to do well then maybe they shouldn't be getting involved with 3rd party exclusive deals.

Unlike Kinect VR actually works well for gaming.
The point is not for Sony to do worse. Others need to do better.

Also the more publisher willing to put money on vr software development, the better.

So excited, I love PSVR, I know it doesnt hold a candle to the PC counterparts but the price of entry is so much lower, and there is some solid support right now, Im still playing through Rez VR, Resident Evil 7 and Superhot, its an experience akin of trying Mario 64 or your first game with a proper 5.1 setup, soo good.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That comment further confirms my theory that House is still lukewarm on VR. A review of his responses to PSVR-related questions are generally bland PR stuff, and he just doesn't seem to be as committed as Shu or Layden to the idea.

Really good news on the sales front, though. Might actually see some proper advertising for it going into Xmas, plus some keenly priced bundles.

And PSVR is free money for them. Yet he's still lukewarm. Terrible thinking imo.

cakely

Pretty great results. Remember this thread? We had predictions for 50k worldwide in there.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1287599

Andrew House said:
I‘m not entirely comfortable being the market leader in VR by such a margin that seems to be happening right now.

Nice comment, he actually makes it sound like he wants VR to succeed as whole. "A rising tide lifts all boats".

That's some genuinely cringeworthy stuff here, guys. Jog on.

There have been some great bundles lately in the UK - the headset, camera, wands and VR Worlds for £400 (this would have been close to £500 at launch). I'm going to hold out a while longer though to try and get a similar bundle for £350 or get another couple of games for £400 around Black Friday.

I'm just extremely scared of getting it, playing it for a week or two and then it sitting there unused and wishing I'd spent that £400 on ten new games.

Yeah? It's in the title.

You mean what is in the thead's title? Good catch.

I wonder where your fanboyism will take you on GAF.

Embarrassing.

By jove, you broke the code :p

How on earth did you figure that out?

JaffeLion meant that his new PSVR has shipped...

That's what you meant, right JaffeLion (I'm giving you a chance to redeem yourself here, dude)?

This is true.

“I‘m not entirely comfortable being the market leader in VR by such a margin that seems to be happening right now,” Andrew House, chief executive of Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc, said in an interview.

“With such a brand new category you want a variety of platforms all doing well to create that rising tide and create the audience.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...d-audience-top-player-sony-says-idUSKCN1BX10M

Andrew House gets it... While being the market leader in tethered VR sales at the moment could be celebrated, Sony's PSVR sales alone aren't enough to provide a strong enough hardware installed base to justify the types of AAA game experiences that would take VR mainstream.

Occulus and Vive really dropped the ball on pricing and market positioning. At the prices they launched, they needed to have made a far more significant effort in marketing their devices towards more non-gaming and enterprise/commercial applications ; having gaming as an "additional" market. We should have been seeing VR gyms and fitness centers as the new hotness powered by Occulus/Vive. Instead we got two expensive PC gaming peripherals that already require expensive PC hardware to drive them.

VR currently has a LOOONG way to go before it can ever reach mass adoption. Hopefully it doesn't die out before then. The vast majority of consumers simply haven't ever tried it to understand how promising a technology it is.

Don't you think that retailers have to be depleting stock in order to have more shipped to them, or do you think they have unlimited storage and they're just flippantly ordering units to stockpile to the ceiling? Or, do you think Sony are just manufacturing units regardless of demand and just randomly shipping them out to various retailers for shits and giggles?

I mean, what exactly is happening in this post and why am I responding seriously?

Because Sony alone, in the early stages of consumer VR, cannot grow the industry on their own. In the long term obviously they want to be the marker leader( as they currently are), but at this stage the platform needs all the stakeholders rising together to increase its long-term viability and success.

Top Bottom