• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Channel Presents Gravity Falls |OT| Awesome new animated show

Status
Not open for further replies.
VqGgV.jpg

1uzAl.jpg

Dipper is a curious, clever and inventive 12-year old. With his twin sister, Mabel, along for the ride, he dares to uncover Gravity Falls’ secrets.
Quote: "When life gives you lemons, extract the juice and use it to draw a treasure map in invisible ink. That really works! Seriously!"
Special Talents: monster hunting, puzzle solving

LTHC1.jpg

Energetic and optimistic, Mabel makes the best of every situation, with a big goofy smile…while annoying her twin brother, Dipper.
Quote: "When life gives you lemons, draw faces on those lemons and wrap them in a blanket. Ta-daaa! Now you have Lemon babies."
Special Talents: animal calls, knitting skills that would put a grandma to shame

ro6OI.jpg

Mabel’s and Dipper’s sly great-uncle, Grunkle Stan, runs the Mystery Shack, a tourist trap full of questionable oddities. When he’s giving tours or asleep on the couch Dipper and Mabel sneak out to explore the town’s secrets.
Quote: "When life gives you lemons, call them ‘yellow oranges’ and sell them for double the price."
Special Talent: Can scratch himself in two places at once.

59hJs.jpg

Soos is the loveable man-child who works at the Mystery Shack gift shop. He likes to be in the center of the action, whether that’s tagging along on Dipper’s and Mabel’s adventures or helping Grunkle Stan with his latest scheme. Aside from the kids, he’s the only other person who sees all the strange things happening in Gravity Falls.

DQSr4.jpg

Wendy is Dipper’s crush - an unusually tall high school girl with a part time job at the Mystery Shack. Hanging out with Wendy can be fun, until her rambunctious teenage friends show up.

9qrA6.gif

Season 1

Episode 01 - Tourist Trapped
Episode 02 - The Gobblewonker
Episode 03 - Head Hunters
Episode 04 - The Hand That Rocks The Mabel
Episode 05 - The Inconveniencing
Episode 06 - Dipper Vs. Manliness
Episode 07 - Double Dipper
Episode 08 - Irrational Treasure
Episode 09 - The Time Traveler's Pig
Episode 10 - Fight Figthers
Episode 11 - Little Dipper
Episode 12 - Superween
Episode 13 - Boss Mabel
Episode 14 - Bottomless Pit!
Episode 15 - The Deep End
Episode 16 - Carpet Diem
Episode 17 - Boyz Crazy
Episode 18 - The Land Before Swine

Gravity Falls Shorts OT

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695431

Kangi

Congratulations, Disney Channel. You now have two good shows!

Really liking this so far. Loving the animation quality as well (sure this is from the opening but the point stands):
dipperrglky.gif

Music is great and has that "mystery" vibe to it, and the characters are great. Mabel is hilarious, and I enjoy how Grunkle Stan is a sympathetic character, when most characters of his type just stay insufferable. Here's hoping this show has a long run.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Someone was raving to me to try it saying I would probably like it, so on a whim I decided to watch it. I really don't watch any TV these days, any less the Disney channel.

Call me very pleasantly surprised. I actually really enjoyed it, and as an Oregonian I was able to appreciate a lot of the subtle jokes to local stereotypes and local myths/legends. The first episode made me chuckle a few good number of times and I could see the series becoming something very interesting as it continues going on. It has a good quirky nature to the show, and has a great foundation of setting and characters.

Also, the opening is the best opening for an animated cartoon I have seen in a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tctX771EQeA

Really liking this so far. Loving the animation quality as well (sure this is from the opening but the point stands):
dipperrglky.gif

Music is great and has that "mystery" vibe to it, and the characters are great. Mabel is hilarious, and I enjoy how Grunkle Stan is a sympathetic character, when most characters of his type just stay insufferable. Here's hoping this show has a long run.

If the whole show looks this good, I'll shit my pants.

Dusk Golem

If the whole show looks this good, I'll shit my pants.

I'm so far very impressed with the series animation, but I'm only on episode 2 so far. Some shots are really beautiful and I love how they draw the backgrounds and how fluid the animation is. It's also backed by some pretty good quirky music that mixes this upbeat sci-fi vibe and chiptune, good jokes, interesting characters, and a well thought-out setting.

Here's hoping it sticks up and that it gets noticed, if it continues as it's going from how far I've watched so far, this could really be one of the next 'great' cartoons, and it seems they've already planned up to season 3 for the show.

Dusk Golem

Alright, the second episode was a lot better than the first. I was laughing a lot through it all, and again the music stood out.

The animation isn't as great as the opening in the normal show, but still very fluid. The characters, as mentioned a few posts above, are probably the least detailed thing visually but they do a great job giving each of them a unique and likable personality as well as unique gestures to fit their persona.

The second episode was filled with a ton of gags but nearly all of them were funny and I found myself laughing outloud at several of them. I really am enjoying the hybrid of quirky mystery show ala Twin Peaks or Scooby-Doo (big differences between those two, but the show slightly reminds me of both of them), old-school slapstick cartoon, and modern what I like to call 'random humor', but they mixed things up with a good jumble of jokes and had a more interesting monster this time around. And it does seem the show has an on-going story enough so that the characters seem to be having some on-going development, but self-contained enough to be enjoyable stand-alone.

Also, I really hope they release a soundtrack for this show, which is something I haven't said about a TV show in a long time. I don't know who's doing the music, but they're doing an awesome job at it. I really liked that frantic southern chase music they had in this episode.

Alpha_eX

That looks like something I would have really enjoyed as a kid. Even now I want to watch it... I don't have Disney channel or anything though, guess I can't stream it in UK either. Damn.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

dipperrglky.gif

Animation here is AWESOME. Hoping it'll come soon in Italy.
After Phineas & Ferb, another great animated series on Disney Channel. Good.

I like the show a lot so far. Something about it reminds me of adventure games like Monkey Island etc. as well, I could already see it being adapted to one.

dude

dude
Just saw the first episode - It was pretty good! This show has a lot of potential, will definitely keep following it.

Animation is nice. Some very subtle touches here and there. I liked the first episode more than the second.

Sous could be a stronger character and man sometimes they set themselves up for a perfect joke but kind of go in a different direction. Still a really good show.

oatmeal

Banned
WTF

I have Disney Channel on for my kid right now, click this thread...and then look up and this show is on.

Creepy.

saw the first episode, liked it a lot.

"WERE STILL BEAVERS!" and the hamster ball daydream were hilarious. love the music, voices and especially the art and animation in this show. good lord, its gorgeous!

dipperrglky.gif

whats the other show?

ah fuck disney put the wrong episode for the premiere so i ended up watching the second episode first

regardless, this show is awesomeeeeeeeeeee

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ah fuck disney put the wrong episode for the premiere so i ended up watching the second episode first

IIRC they previewed the show a few weeks before, so the preview was 1x01 and the "premiere" was 1x02 or something? In Canada we have a separate Disney channel ("Family Channel") so I don't know what happened in the US for sure.

IIRC they previewed the show a few weeks before, so the preview was 1x01 and the "premiere" was 1x02 or something? In Canada we have a separate Disney channel ("Family Channel") so I don't know what happened in the US for sure.

yeah that's right. the whole preview/premiere was just confusing tbh.

it's about to come on now! woot. 2 minutes.

EDIT: its on now.

well i saw the episodes on their website, and episode 2 was labeled "watch the premiere of gravity falls!". completely ignored this show sadly until now.

new episode is on now!

elwes

Saw the first two episode. I'm really liking it so far. I was laughing so hard at the gnome vomiting the rainbow. :lol

Oh man, I'm so happy to see this show getting love on GAF. I went to Disney TVA last Novermber for a pitch meeting and I got to watch the pilot and I LOVED it, I've been in agony waiting for it to finally air. Gotta go get an iTunes card at Best Buy so I can subscribe to it now that it's on.

GCX

This is one of the best-looking animated shows currently airing. The style, animation, color composition, etc. are all top notch.

I didn't like ep 3 as much as the first 2 but it was still pretty good. I hope they make the plot a bit more coherent in the future but otherwise I'm not complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom