• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II box confirms 1st person mode and 250 page art gallery

Raitaro

The "sad" part is that this will probably sell more copies than SFV.

What is even more sad is that we will probably never see a SFIII: 3rd Strike release in a similar vein even if Ultra SFII ends up selling well (above SFV's imo somewhat undeserved low sales). Nor one for Alpha. I'd love to have all classic SF games on one current system, especially one with portability like the Switch.

L Thammy

What is even more sad is that we will probably never see a SFIII: 3rd Strike release in a similar vein even if Ultra SFII ends up selling well (above SFV's imo somewhat undeserved low sales). Nor one for Alpha. I'd love to have all classic SF games on one current system, especially one with portability like the Switch.

What's even more even more sad is that Red Earth will probably never have a console release at all, let alone an enhanced rerelease. The forgotten-est Capcom fighter. All versions of Street Fighter have it easy.

I don't think it's realistic that this sells less than Street Fighter V though.

Thanks for the awesome translation, Apparition!

But...

.... please tell me this doesn't mean what I think it means.

You're welcome!

Footnote 3 only applies to portable mode. I suppose another Switch is a given if you want to play using two screens. That said, the way it's worded seems to suggest the other player will need their own game, too.

However, you can still enjoy a match with a friend using the tabletop mode on the same Switch.

Man I want this physical, I'm glad I can import the Japanese version if nothing else but I'd still prefer menus and things in English - come on Capcom!

Raitaro

What's even more even more sad is that Red Earth will probably never have a console release at all, let alone an enhanced rerelease. The forgotten-est Capcom fighter. All versions of Street Fighter have it easy.

Hey, I'd love for that to happen! Heck, I've long wished for a Red Earth + Battle Circuit "Obscure masterpieces collection" from them.

Give us a new Darkstalkers collection too while we're at it, Capcom.

Yep. In addition to the 30th anniversary of SF, 2017 also marks the 20th anniversary of SF3.

Make it happen, Capcom!

Good point, actually!

I don't think it's realistic that this sells less than Street Fighter V though.

Yeah, a collection with Red Earth, Battle Circuit, Armored Warriors, and Cyberbots would be heavenly.

My question is, if they have the full MT Framework engine ported as well as SF4 assets, why not just port Ultra Street Fighter 4 to Switch also? Maybe they will, especially if they can't port SF5 due to the contract with Sony.

Just get this team on it, and NOT Other Ocean, please. :p

L Thammy

My question is, if they have the full MT Framework engine ported as well as SF4 assets, why not just port Ultra Street Fighter 4 to Switch also? Maybe they will, especially if they can't port SF5 due to the contract with Sony.

Launch window is a good time for riskier moves; a new version of Street Fighter II seems riskier than a Street Fighter IV port. Maybe both ideas were floated around and they decided to do this one first. Or maybe it'll be like the 3DS where we get this and inexplicably get no fighting games from Capcom ever again. Who knows.

fuck you capcom give me tatsunoko you bums

Neoxon

That still raises the problem of USFIV having already faded away. As mentioned before, SFII is a classic, so doing an update of that makes sense (though I am a bit disappointed that USFII may not have the original Super Turbo balancing).

Hopefully this does well enough to justify more fighting games on the Switch. Obviously SFV won't happen (unless Nintendo slips Sony a fat check), but maybe UMvC3 or MvCI.

That still raises the problem of USFIV having already faded away. As mentioned before, SFII is a classic, so doing an update of that makes sense (though I am a bit disappointed that USFII may not have the original Super Turbo balancing).

Hopefully this does well enough to justify more fighting games on the Switch. Obviously SFV won't happen (unless Nintendo slips Sony a fat check), but maybe UMvC3 or MvCI.

I would love to see TvC2 above all else, tbh

On the bright side, Nintendo included the game in their extended Super Bowl ad. It along with Just Dance 2017 are the only 3rd-party games in it, so that's gotta be a great bit of exposure for the game.

Neoxon

Why the hell isn't Nintendo vs Capcom a thing yet, that's the real question!
I'd imagine that Capcom's already busy enough with Street Fighter V & Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite. I guess they could have Eighting & Niitsuma do NvC, but I believe Eighting is doing some VR fighting game right now.

L Thammy

That still raises the problem of USFIV having already faded away.

Does that matter to the people who would buy that port?

1st person view....in a 2D fighting game? I gotta see this.

It's probably going to be a beat-em-up minigame. Fighting games are too complex; if Capcom was going to make a first person fighting game, they'd probably make it its own thing. I certainly don't think it's going to just an alternate graphics mode (especially since we saw a Shadoloo goon as the opponent).

1st person view....in a 2D fighting game? I gotta see this.

I think they're using 3D models for the first person mode. There's a short teaser clip in the trailer, and it appears to use the SF4 Ryu model's arms, SF4 boss stage, and SF5 story mode Shadaloo goon character model)

Fritz

On rails 3D beat em up. Using joycons for motion control. 2 playable characters. 1 Stage.

You heard it here first

Neoxon

I can't believe that I will be buying a physical copy of Street Fighter II in 2017.
I still maintain the theory that we'd be talking about SFV on the Switch right now if it wasn't for the deal that Capcom made with Sony. But then again, we'd still be speculating about SFV's base roster if Sony didn't speed things up with their money.

Either way, I'd love for this to have Super Turbo balancing since that game never made its way to the Super Nintendo (so Virtual Console's out of the question).

Who can I bug on Twitter for an Alpha or 3S release on Switch?
......Which Alpha game?

theclaw135

Banned
I really don't get why they decided to kill MT Framework for new HD projects going forward and instead opted to reinvent the wheel during a time when their finances were fucked.

Panty Raid am cry

I figured they'd have seen the light with Devil May Cry 4 PC benchmarks, having found phenomenal engine performance to carry them several generations.

I figured they'd have seen the light with Devil May Cry 4 PC benchmarks, having found phenomenal engine performance to carry them several generations.

Supposedly, MTF didn't scale up well, making it a problem for current gen development. Wasn't the engine originally meant for PS2?

I really hope this does well so Capcom are encouraged to do like CPS2 collections or something.

stop_penis_erect_archer.gif

L Thammy

Street Fighter 3: Fourth Attack
Buff everyone who isn't Chun Li, Yun, or Ken
Revert Sean to Second Impact's Sean
Add World Tour Mode​

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Platinum
Nerf V-ism
Add Ultra World Tour Mode 2​

i-Jest

It would be amazing if they gave us the street fighter 3 games as well.

I would pay 60 in United States currency to have that beautiful perfection of a game on a portable machine and with new content.

Yep. In addition to the 30th anniversary of SF, 2017 also marks the 20th anniversary of SF3.

Make it happen, Capcom!

Street Fighter 3: Fourth Attack
Buff everyone who isn't Chun Li, Yun, or Ken
Revert Sean to Second Impact's Sean
Add World Tour Mode​

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Platinum
Nerf V-ism
Add Ultra World Tour Mode 2​

Capcom pls...

I'd be pleasantly surprised to see a Capcom vs. SNK HD Collection, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom HD, and Captain Commando (for shits and giggles). The licensing to get that done might be a nightmare, especially the Tatsunoko license.

Does that matter to the people who would buy that port?

Neoxon's post doesn't make much sense. Saying Ultra Street Fighter IV being ported isn't likely...then hoping for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, a game that's just as old and outdated. And Marvel's sequel isn't platform exclusive. USF4 on the other hand would be the newest SF game switch could get.

Crayon

I'm 38. I got more than a couple of friends who never played SF3/Zero/4/5 but still hold their own at SF2 so I'll gladly pay full price to take them on when they pay me a visit.

This totally happens. Turn classic sf2 on and suddenly everyone in the room is a tough guy. Play any other fighting game and they'll stand back and talk about how good they used to be at sf2.

This totally happens. Turn classic sf2 on and suddenly everyone in the room is a tough guy. Play any other fighting game and they'll stand back and talk about how good they used to be at sf2.

It essentially has become a party game for males in their mid-30s. And it still is a relevant fighting game despite 25y of competition.

Have we seen the cover art for the game? Switch cover arts have been on point so far.

Super Bomberman R, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Ultra Street Fighter II are the reasons I know I want this system.

Same. Zelda is a must for me, but the three you mentioned along with Isaac and Mario Kart really make for an outstanding start to the Switch's (hopefully) very long lifespan. Didn't even know what Puyo Puyo Tetris was until tonight but it's absolutely on my radar now.

wbacon

Capcom USA
It essentially has become a party game for males in their mid-30s. And it still is a relevant fighting game despite 25y of competition.

Make that mid-40s and you can include me ;-) I've skipped classes just to play SF2/SF2:CE at the college arcade. Good times!

btrboyev

Time to face the facts that SF:III is the ugly step child of the Street Fighter main line. It's just not very popular. You would see an Alpha collection before SF:III

Top Bottom