• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

So I started P5 up again after not playing since the beginning of May and Sae mentions to Goro
about someone stealng files off of her laptop. Why did Makoto do it again?

Lynx_7

Actually Morgana looks the best. Look at his spiffy sailor suit.

He does look cute. To think such a tiny little thing could talk so much crap on my boy Ryuji :p

So, I just started P1 PSP to pass the time and it's... surprisingly better than I gave it credit for?
I previously only played the PS1 version and the localization and really confusing world map probably scared me off. The PSP port's world map is a lot easier to navigate and the localization is a lot better, so I'm actually enjoying the game now. It has a pretty cool supernatural vibe. Sure, I wish I had the option to choose between the original and new soundtracks, but eh, it's a compromise I'm willing to take.

asagami_

Banned
So, I just started P1 PSP to pass the time and it's... surprisingly better than I gave it credit for?
I previously only played the PS1 version and the localization and really confusing world map probably scared me off. The PSP port's world map is a lot easier to navigate and the localization is a lot better, so I'm actually enjoying the game now. It has a pretty cool supernatural vibe. Sure, I wish I had the option to choose between the original and new soundtracks, but eh, it's a compromise I'm willing to take.

P1 PSP is very nice, because the original game aged a lot worse than vanillas P2. Funny, because this port it's better than P2 IS PSP.

I wonder who you will choose as your final playable character, but I suggest Elly, her dialogues are too funny.

tumblr_mcm79uCADZ1rg9gfzo1_500.png

tumblr_mcm79uCADZ1rg9gfzo2_500.png

asagami_

Banned
To be fair, I think Elly was written like a proto-P2 main character... but by the time the P2 cast appears, she is outclassed by Maya Amano and Ulala Serizawa. I still love her <3

Instead, the majority says "What's a DeSu?"

(Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't all the Eva parallels in DeSu2 from the animation that everyone hated? I dunno. I haven't gotten far enough right now.)

Touché. That said, the Eva parallels is quite clearly present even in the original game, yet in most discussions the people who played both (hah) prefer the narrative of DeSu1.

Lynx_7

I feel like P5's localization is good for the most part, but then it decides to drop the ball at the most inopportune moments and gets in the way of important or emotional scenes. Like when (Palace 6 arc spoilers)
Sojiro finds out that Joker and Futaba are part of the phantom thieves, and right in the middle of what is an otherwise really emotional sequence Futaba drops a "I was trapped in the labyrinth of my heart". It feels inappropriately eloquent for what's supposed to be an intimate scene, and it wasn't the first time they did something like this.

Okay, I just fought the last mini-boss in Palace 7, and then
instead of giving you a Save Room, it decides to have you fight Akechi's minions and then Akechi himself, twice?? What the hell is this! Thank gods I still have trusty Akahabari and his Repel Phys and Null Curse or it could've been much much worse (playing on Hard). As it was I had to use several SP items as almost my whole cast was tapped out. I felt like forcing me to fight two battles back to back actually took something away from the Akechi fight because I was concentrating more on managing my dwindling SP and not wiping than I was on enjoying this rival battle I was looking forward to. And I was really not happy that they decided to turn Akechi into a tragic figure and have the cast basically say he's not such a bad guy. He murdered people in cold blood! And he tried to kill Joker and set up the Phantom Thieves! Screw that guy! He made his choices, and it annoys me that the writers gave him an honorable, redemptive self-sacrifice with no justice for his crimes.

I count all Persona games among my favorite games ever except for P1, the game didn't click with me.
I've only played the PS1 version though so I'm wondering if I should give it another chance with the PSP version.

Mediking

instead of giving you a Save Room, it decides to have you fight Akechi's minions and then Akechi himself, twice?? What the hell is this! Thank gods I still have trusty Akahabari and his Repel Phys and Null Curse or it could've been much much worse (playing on Hard). As it was I had to use several SP items as almost my whole cast was tapped out. I felt like forcing me to fight two battles back to back actually took something away from the Akechi fight because I was concentrating more on managing my dwindling SP and not wiping than I was on enjoying this rival battle I was looking forward to. And I was really not happy that they decided to turn Akechi into a tragic figure and have the cast basically say he's not such a bad guy. He murdered people in cold blood! And he tried to kill Joker and set up the Phantom Thieves! Screw that guy! He made his choices, and it annoys me that the writers gave him an honorable, redemptive self-sacrifice with no justice for his crimes.

There's ALOT I wanna say but keep playing. I know how you feel though. Trust me.

Yeah, that whole sequence was bad.

Lynx_7

For all the talk on GAF about how much more relatable P4's cast is, I'm actually finding myself almost as attached to P5's group as I go along. They may not have as many slice of life anime moments together, but I like every single one of the Phantom Thieves individually, while the investigation team has a couple members I don't really care about that much. Like, the only thing Yukiko has going for me is that she's constantly interacting with much more charming characters so it kinda rubs off on her sometimes, kinda like that one person in your group of friends you're not that close with but you still hang out because they're there. I also really like the rest of P5's cast, such as Sojiro and most of the confidants. Ultimately only time (and spin-offs, anime, enhanced ports/DLC? and all the rest) will tell whether I like them as much as P4's cast or not, but it's not a one-sided affair to me like it seems to be for other people.
I want to say a few things about the story, but I'll wait until I finish the game first. Unless it crashes and burns towards the end though, I already like it better than 3's.

Where exactly ARE you in the story?

Palace 6.

Mediking

For all the talk on GAF about how much more relatable P4's cast is, I'm actually finding myself almost as attached to P5's group as I go along. They may not have as many slice of life anime moments together, but I like every single one of the Phantom Thieves individually, while the investigation team has a couple members I don't really care about that much. Like, the only thing Yukiko has going for me is that she's constantly interacting with much more charming characters so it kinda rubs off on her sometimes, kinda like that one person in your group of friends you're not that close with but you still hang out because they're there. I also really like the rest of P5's cast, such as Sojiro and most of the confidants. Ultimately only time (and spin-offs, anime, enhanced ports/DLC? and all the rest) will tell whether I like them as much as P4's cast or not, but it's not a one-sided affair to me like it seems to be for other people.
I want to say a few things about the story, but I'll wait until I finish the game first. Unless it crashes and burns towards the end though, I already like it better than 3's.

Where exactly ARE you in the story?

Sophia

I've said it before, but Persona 5's cast has quickly become my favorite of the bunch. But I didn't really relate to most of the P4 cast. It took until Persona 4 Golden to really find characters I like.

Barely halfway through P5 if that, but individually P5 characters easily beat P4 while P4's group dynamic is miles beyond P5 for me.

P3 is unique in that it does its own really strong thing with the best individual characters out of the three as well.

PK Gaming

Barely halfway through P5 if that, but individually P5 characters easily beat P4 while P4's group dynamic is miles beyond P5 for me.

P3 is unique in that it does its own really strong thing with the best individual characters out of the three as well.

This is how I feel as well

This is actually pretty on point.

As for P3, I feel that they have some of the best individual characters.
I just don't think those few characters let P3 keep pace with 4 and 5, from a character standpoint.

Mediking

P5's group dynamic was excellent.... when it was just Joker, Ann, Ryuji and Morgana. But things get better with Makoto and Futaba. Haru wasn't executed properly and Yusuke... well.....

Sophia

P5's group dynamic was excellent.... when it was just Joker, Ann, Ryuji and Morgana. But things get better with Makoto and Futaba. Haru wasn't executed properly and Yusuke... well.....

I love the dynamic that Yusuke brings to the group, to be honest.

Mediking

I love the dynamic that Yusuke brings to the group, to be honest.

I like Yusuke's Confidant. But there's a moment in a Palace where Yusuke had to do something and I was like... "He's only doing this because the game pushes him as the expressive art guy so hard."

I like Yusuke's Confidant. But there's a moment in a Palace where Yusuke had to do something and I was like... "He's only doing this because the game pushes him as the expressive art guy so hard."

I mean, that kind of is his archetype though. What instance? I thought he was super entertaining throughout the whole game just about. Though I love Sugita Tomokazu so I generally have an affinity for his characters regardless hahaha.

Mediking

I mean, that kind of is his archetype though. What instance? I thought he was super entertaining throughout the whole game just about. Though I love Sugita Tomokazu so I generally have an affinity for his characters regardless hahaha.

There's a part in a Palace where...
Yusuke has to draw something for a mafia guy and it ended with Yusuke saying the mafia guy's spirit was ugly or something and I kinda was like, "Yeah..."

I just prefer it better when Yusuke was being unintentionally goofy like in his confidant and his early scenes with just Joker, Ann, and Ryuji. Times when he dropped the bomb that he had no cash.

I got nothing against Yusuke. But he's at the bottom with Haru in who I like the most.

Lynx_7

Yusuke is one of my faves, I love his early goofy confidants. And I really like what I've seen of Haru's confidant too, she's very easy going and fun to hang out with
and has better chemistry with Joker than Makoto's confidant ;P
, shame she is so underutilized in the main narrative.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. While I like his personality, he is a really bad caricature of an artist. I don't know, maybe that's how the Japanese view artists? But all the artists I've known are way more punk and world-wise than Yusuke. The whole "searching for ultimate beauty" or whatever is maybe what artists from the Renaissance were thinking about, but not in 2017. Granted, he grew up very sheltered, but his outlook just seems very artificial and contrived.

Sidenote on that last Palace 7 mini-boss:
I was too annoyed to mention before, but was that guy totally a Yakuza shoutout? When he suddenly took his shirt off I felt like it had to be. The head animation was totally Yakuza too. Maybe the best mini-boss so far. (too bad what came after had to bring me down)

Mediking

Yeah, I'd agree with this. While I like his personality, he is a really bad caricature of an artist. I don't know, maybe that's how the Japanese view artists? But all the artists I've known are way more punk and world-wise than Yusuke. The whole "searching for ultimate beauty" or whatever is maybe what artists from the Renaissance were thinking about, but not in 2017. Granted, he grew up very sheltered, but his outlook just seems very artificial and contrived.

Sidenote on that last Palace 7 mini-boss:
I was too annoyed to mention before, but was that guy totally a Yakuza shoutout? When he suddenly took his shirt off I felt like it had to be. The head animation was totally Yakuza too. Maybe the best mini-boss so far. (too bad what came after had to bring me down)

Lmao
yeah that Yakuza guy reminded me of those Yakuza guys from SMTIV

'Fraid not. I've been waiting most of the game to like her but she's still my least favorite party member by a country mile. :/

At any rate, Yusuke's awesome.

Futaba is amazing... she's an introvert with a great personality. The way she texts, talks to Ryuji and Yusuke, etc is just amazing.

1upsuper

Futaba is amazing... she's an introvert with a great personality. The way she texts, talks to Ryuji and Yusuke, etc is just amazing.

That certainly seems like the general consensus. She just completely falls flat for me. Her memey, geeky, quirky humor is a no go. Different strokes of course.

I rather like Futaba, however I can see how she is an acquired taste or not really for everyone. The cute aspects of her are pretty adorable, but her "life is a videogame' thing is an oddity.

She's got some great moments though, to be sure. Then again, they all do.

I've always felt it was less about her "meme" dialogue (it really isn't as prevalent as it is always made out to be) and more that out of everyone in the PT, she had the most sass and cheekiness in the group.

Futaba is great, she has a ton of great lines.
I'm pretty fond of them all, just like I was with the P4 gang. Can't say the same about P3, that one had a few characters I didn't care for. Love everyone in P2 as well.

Regardless, it's very rare for me to really like the vast majority of characters in a long running jrpg franchise. I only wish I could say I like most characters in any other jrpg series outside of Persona/SMT. Major kudos to Atlus for that.

That certainly seems like the general consensus. She just completely falls flat for me. Her memey, geeky, quirky humor is a no go. Different strokes of course.

I feel the same. She has her moments (the "kek" scene with Mishima is great) and a great backstory. But when she says stuff like "be my key item" I can't help but cringe into the next life. It actually makes me want to die.

Sophia

Apparently, according to that SEGA RAW stream that was happening yesterday, Persona 5 shipped over 1.8 million copies worldwide.

That's an insane number for a series that often didn't even break 500,000 before. Woah.

Top Bottom