• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dauntless - Forging A Legend trailer

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I dig the artstyle, but would've guessed all their focus and talk about impact would've born better fruit.

I like the art style, but the designs of the Monsters and armors are kinda uninteresting. The animations are lacking as well. Can't wait to try it, would be a nice distraction until GU comes to Switch.

So like monster hunter.

giphy.gif

This has my interest, but I'm waiting to see how bad the micro transactions are before I get invested. I really hope they go the Path of Exile route.

Brannon

I'm optimistic. But it just lacks... something. Soul? I don't know. Sound effects also sound like they lack impact.

It's the sound; it's just weak across the board. Weapon strikes sound like cardboard stabbing through weak tin. Even the Yian Kut Ku has a more imposing vocal presence than whatever that raspy owlbear is attempting.

Sound is as much of an entity as the entity itself, and every single trailer so far shows that this game fails in realizing that.

Sarcasm

Yeah the first few were pretty rough.

Good thing thing it has improved since then and we aren't living in the ps2 days anymore.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
anyone get a key from the latest set of invites?

ive been curious to try this from day one but the lack of access is a turnoff. I signed up months ago with no luck.

anyone get a key from the latest set of invites?

ive been curious to try this from day one but the lack of access is a turnoff. I signed up months ago with no luck.

Well there is an nda if you did. That being said no I have not. In technical alpha they are targeting certain specs and regions. My videocard is awful so i doubt i'll get in till founders alpha. EU and other non NA invites have not been sent yet but should be sometime soon.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
EU and other non NA invites have not been sent yet but should be sometime soon.

That would explain it then - also I'm sure people with bad videocards would also qualify, usually the idea would be to get a broad range of configurations involved so they can properly scale it.

They don't show anything new: new bosses or even smaller creatures, just the same old 3 or 4 creatures.

This game is going to live or die by the content, I don't think that many people are going to grind the same Owl-bear or a drake more than a few times.

This is where I'm at. There needs to be more to do than just go to an island, fight a single big bad (which from previous trailers takes a massively long time to defeat without any really interesting gameplay mechanics or decisions to make) and then go to town to craft stuff to do it again with better gear.

Smaller animals/monsters to fight, additional monsters during big bad fights, more interesting mechanics, path puzzles/labrynths/dungeons to get to the big monsters... just more content period is needed in my eyes. Even as a F2P game. Otherwise it's going to get really stale really quickly.

also

Banned
I can understand some of the complaints but this is an indie dev and a new franchise. Monster Hunter has been around for a very long time. This game is doing some things I really like. Having an MMO style hub city that holds a lot of players, Dedicated servers, Once you go into your instanced hunt area it's one large seamless land mass. No loading zones. Being a free to play game it will get more weapons, behemoths and updates regularly as time goes on. The game will improve. This is a market Capcom has completely ignored and seems has no interest in capturing so I am pulling for this game and these devs cause it's something I actually want to play.

I still don't see how this is a good thing. it either means less terrain variety or tedious traversal because you need "filler connecting areas".

I am 100% behind someone else trying to work within the Monster Hunter framework and am interested in seeing how this grows. However...It looks like WildStar without the personality. That "Upgraded" armor was pretty weak.

Good luck to these guys, I'll be watching.

MouldyK

I think Monster Hunter 2004 had 17 Big Monsters, a few of which were Clones...but that's what I expect this game to start with.

The game will live or die on Monster Variety.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I guess that's it for Dauntless?

Was waiting forever to get into the beta - but since Monster Hunter World is announced, I guess I won't have to put up with any of this anymore. That is unless, MHW is rife with lootpacks and other microtransaction bullshittery.

Was waiting forever to get into the beta - but since Monster Hunter World is announced, I guess I won't have to put up with any of this anymore. That is unless, MHW is rife with lootpacks and other microtransaction bullshittery.

Dauntless open beta will still be out well before MHW especially on PC and it will be free. All it needs to do is be a good game and it will have it's community even after MHW. All hands on impressions for the game have been extremely positive. Why do people act like two games in the same genre can't exist? especially when both are different enough to both offer a unique take.

A good hands on write up from fextralife

When we first started the demo, we were given a rundown of the basic controls. Consumables are mapped to the D-pad with attacks tied to the face buttons and special abilities, running and sheathing to the bumpers. The demo begins in the hub world, called Ramsgate, where you will select missions to launch into with your party. This hub world is the center of socialization, and is packed with other players giving it a very MMO like feel, that is a strong shared world. At this hub world you can also craft equipment and open the cores you obtain as loot from your hunts, which you can use the vtiharious materials for crafting your new stuff. The process of opening cores is very similar to visiting the cryptarch in Destiny.

Gearing up involves slotting armor, weapons, lanterns and items. You have armor slots for the helm, gauntlets and leggings, one weapon, and a lantern which you can select based on the different abilities it confers, such as a temporary stamina boost. You can slot your consumable items to your d-pad.

Armor can be mixed and match but combining armor from the same behemoth spoils grants set bonuses which min maxers will absolutely love theory crafting. Weapons are also crafted in the same way. There are no stats to your character, instead your gear progression is how you will get more powerful. Gear can be dyed in a variety of different colors, allowing for more customization. All of your equipment can be improved through crafting and are tier based, allowing you to tackle increasingly more difficult behemoths. This is the positive feedback loop that is the holy grail of good party based gameplay. Tackle the behemoth, loot, craft better gear, tackle stronger behemoth, get ass kicked, go grind and farm, conquer your shameful demons. Rinse, repeat.

Rather than strict roles like tank, rogue, etc. Dauntless allows you to specialize your character based on the gear you equip. The weapons also work with this system, allowing you to choose from a few different weapon classes like swords, hammers (which also have a ranged cannon), axes and chain blades all of which have their unique movesets and further differentiation based on the behemoth you kill to earn them, such as elemental effects. This is a great system that allows for a lot of pre-battle strategy.

We launched into a mission and put the cooperative party based combat through its paces and found it instantly familiar and comfortable. Those who have played Dark Souls or Monster Hunter will feel at home with a health bar and stamina gauge that has to be managed. Dodging is king when it comes to these behemoths, and making liberal use of their i-frames is an important way to stay alive. The behemoths have weak spots and have special abilities tied to their physiology which can be used against them. For example, a tail swipe can be taken away by cutting the tail off, which removes that option, but the behemoths will check to another new strategy. The movesets of the behemoths are dynamic and they are extremely fun to engage, as careful study allows you to anticipate and react to their movements. Some take to the air, others call AoE attacks and ranged abilities like whirlwinds.

Once we got into the groove of the behemoth combat, we had a blast. The team based play is a ton of fun and players are really able to focus on what’s comfortable for them. You can revive downed comrades, but an important feature is a danger mechanic, which gauges the severity of the battle. The more damage you take, the higher the meter goes and once it reaches max, you have a fail condition. You can keep the meter low by having a successful go at combat, so standing around like a punching bag is not going to do you any favors. We pressed the attack, and were able to bring down our first behemoth quickly and had a much longer encounter afterwards which resulted in a maxed out danger meter. This game is no slouch when it comes to difficulty and the Director of Dauntless, Jesse Houston told us there will be behemoths with a 90% failure rate. Bring it on!

They plan to add more content post launch, including new behemoths and potentially some new modes, like timed arenas with leaderboards. The focus for development is on refining the combat against the game’s behemoths and the crafting and gear progression system to make sure players are progressing at paces that are fair and rewarding.

For a free to play game, the monetization will be based on cosmetics like the aforementioned dyes and boosts, which will allow players to increase the amount of loot they can obtain, but not the quality. It’s important to Phoenix Labs that the success is the game is based on skill, so players will never be able to pay for better gear or easier ways to become powerful.

Summoner

Given this game is free to play......expect this alot more here than Monster Hunter World.

Twenty minute interview with the Community manager and Executive Producer. No new footage but just a really good talk about the game about where they want to go with it and the current technical alpha. I really like this dev team. They are really open with the community and hang out on Discord and chat with everyone all day. Good group of guys. Pulling for this game to be good and a success.
Link

Airan

MHWorld has definitely damped my hype for this game significantly. And looking at that E3 footage isn't doing it any favours either. That said, it will be released earlier than World, so I'm interested to try it out myself.

Finaika

MHWorld has definitely damped my hype for this game significantly. And looking at that E3 footage isn't doing it any favours either. That said, it will be released earlier than World, so I'm interested to try it out myself.

Is it coming out this year?

Is it coming out this year?

Founders Alpha is August 18th. Was planned to last about a week then closed beta. Open beta comes when they think they are ready for depending on how close beta goes but it should be in fall.

on another note

I see a lot of these posts are about MHW and it's pretty much the same on their Reddit and everywhere else. This is more Warfarme MMO style than Monster Hunter in the way it is being made and supported. Feature wise yeah I'm sure a game made by a startup indie studio won't be able to compete with an established dev team and franchise from a huge publisher at first but this game will continue to grow and improve.

The dev team is made up from people from Bioware, League of legends and Blizzzard. They know how to make a good game and how to make F2P work without ruining the game. They listen closely to the community and interact with them daily and have already made changes in the tech alpha based solely on feedback from the players. If you watched their interviews or read the hands on impression there is plenty to be excited about. Can't figure why so many are doom and gloom and many downright seem to want the game to fail(mostly from other communities).

Paladins and Overwatch co-exist, LoL and Dota 2 do as well and though this is a niche genre the popularity of Dark Souls shows people are up for a challenge and like the deleberate combat style and the popularity of Destiny, Warframe etc..show a good co-op loot game can garner a large community and of course on the PC side it will be out way before MHW and be free. hard to overlook that.

deejay

It's a shame that this won't be coming to Steam. I'd say it's a missed opportunity because now I think the player base will have much, much lower numbers (which is obvious), but it might even be dead in the water because of it. Practically no one is talking about it as far as I can tell. I truly hope that I'm wrong, but I stopped my purchase halfway through because of a bad feeling I suddenly had. I've bought so many multiplayer games that were DOA and I don't want to make that mistake again. I'll just wait for some reviews I guess.

It's a shame that this won't be coming to Steam. I'd say it's a missed opportunity because now I think the player base will have much, much lower numbers (which is obvious), but it might even be dead in the water because of it. Practically no one is talking about it as far as I can tell. I truly hope that I'm wrong, but I stopped my purchase halfway through because of a bad feeling I suddenly had. I've bought so many multiplayer games that were DOA and I don't want to make that mistake again. I'll just wait for some reviews I guess.

They never said no Steam. They said it's not right for them at launch. They probably don't feel the need to give up that 30% unless they absolutely need to so they want to see how they do without it first. Also the game is free to play no need to buy a founders pack if you have doubts.

deejay

They never said no Steam. They said it's not right for them at launch. They probably don't feel the need to give up that 30% unless they absolutely need to so they want to see how they do without it first. Also the game is free to play no need to buy a founders pack if you have doubts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dauntless/comments/61arbq/dauntless_through_steam/dfdh2sp/

States otherwise in my opinion. And sure, never say never, but *if* it finally releases on Steam 6-12 months later (or whenever) then the game will most likely already have seen a massive decline in its player base, or it would not have been brought to the platform to begin with, like so many other games. No Steam right from the start seems like a stupid mistake to me.

Airan

Founders Alpha is August 18th. Was planned to last about a week then closed beta. Open beta comes when they think they are ready for depending on how close beta goes but it should be in fall.

on another note

I see a lot of these posts are about MHW and it's pretty much the same on their Reddit and everywhere else. This is more Warfarme MMO style than Monster Hunter in the way it is being made and supported. Feature wise yeah I'm sure a game made by a startup indie studio won't be able to compete with an established dev team and franchise from a huge publisher at first but this game will continue to grow and improve.

The dev team is made up from people from Bioware, League of legends and Blizzzard. They know how to make a good game and how to make F2P work without ruining the game. They listen closely to the community and interact with them daily and have already made changes in the tech alpha based solely on feedback from the players. If you watched their interviews or read the hands on impression there is plenty to be excited about. Can't figure why so many are doom and gloom and many downright seem to want the game to fail(mostly from other communities).

Paladins and Overwatch co-exist, LoL and Dota 2 do as well and though this is a niche genre the popularity of Dark Souls shows people are up for a challenge and like the deleberate combat style and the popularity of Destiny, Warframe etc..show a good co-op loot game can garner a large community and of course on the PC side it will be out way before MHW and be free. hard to overlook that.

It's nice to have faith, but I'm judging it on the videos that have been released. All of the ancillary systems can be amazing and the devs can promise the world, but if the core of the game - the hunting monsters bit - is not interesting enough then there's nothing to keep me enticed.

Dauntless has had 3 official trailers, and yet the only actual gameplay loop is shown through an 'impressions' vid from a Youtuber. The open beta is looming and I hope to be proven wrong there - more competition in this genre is always welcome - but the outlook does not look good.

It's nice to have faith, but I'm judging it on the videos that have been released. All of the ancillary systems can be amazing and the devs can promise the world, but if the core of the game - the hunting monsters bit - is not interesting enough then there's nothing to keep me enticed.

Dauntless has had 3 official trailers, and yet the only actual gameplay loop is shown through an 'impressions' vid from a Youtuber. The open beta is looming and I hope to be proven wrong there - more competition in this genre is always welcome - but the outlook does not look good.
Judging gameplay from videos doesn't tell you much. I am going by hands on impressions from the press and Pax and the vast majority have stated how enjoyable it is. If you have read pretty much any of them I'm not sure how you can have such a grim outlook.

The game is still in tech alpha and under NDA. The last gameplay video from E3 is the first time we see wildlife for instance. Plenty we don't know but those who have played it say the core is in tact. Hopefully the rest falls into place.

New hands on preview from dual shockers.

Dauntless feels amazing to play and reminds me of the raid-like mechanics of World of Warcraft and Destiny combined with the personality of a hunting game. All of this wrapped up in a package that is free-to-play is astounding and is something to keep your eyes out for as the release date approaches.

Via Twitter:
A small number of invites (≈100) for EU tests will be going out around 12 AM PDT.
A larger number will go out if all goes well.

Haunted

Controller support? Would be interested in this to bridge the gap until MHWorld (now that XX won't make it over in time).

Top Bottom