• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League on Switch targeting 720p 60fps. PS4 crossplay a "political barrier".

David___

Banned
It's popular on PC too, Switch can cross-play with that and X1 so it isn't a huge problem.

Though I think Sony allow cross-play with Xbox and PC in rocket league :S Boxing out the switch here seems a tad weird.

They've had the "Just need to push a button" stance for a while now

It's kinda funny how they put in all that hard work behind Sony's back to where it would be that easy if they said "Yes". Part of me feels like Sony is gonna be pissed when they see that if they're really gonna remain arrogant.

Not sure why docked couldn't be at least 900p if undocked is 720p, but 60fps is definitely most important.

Also, lol sony.

I think the game is on Unreal 3 which is not only an old engine, but also incompatible with Switch natively. I'm sure they'll try and get separate modes to work, but they already have to do so many workarounds just to get the game to run.

I give it three months tops before Sony buckles and plays ball. The negative press they're getting from this is just too overwhelming to simply hand-wave away.

Sony has arguably been the people's champ in the eyes of many this generation, now is not the time to ruin that reputation.

panty

Unsure why anyone would not want crossplay for all platforms? What is your reasoning behind it?

I play Rocket League daily and I've disabled cross-play with PC players. Why would I want crossplay? There are loads of players on the PS4.

to be devils advocate for a moment, Sony is currently the lead Console Provider this gen. Why should they let their rivals get in on their platform and benefit of its size and support by allowing other consoles to play with their players?

Sounds shit but I bet they have made that argument somewhere.
every single time with this

Sony allowing PC-PS4 crossplay and not allowing PS4-XBOX crossplay is just pure corporate middle finger to MS.. the sad thing is.. that it's the palyers who take the loss on this one.

I hope developers keep calling out Sony on the no crossplay issue.

The performance of the game, the developer argues, is more important than pure visual fidelity.

I wish all developers felt that way.

Floody

It's kinda funny how they put in all that hard work behind Sony's back to where it would be that easy if they said "Yes". Part of me feels like Sony is gonna be pissed when they see that if they're really gonna remain arrogant.

Don't think Sony would care, only reason they would is if hundreds of thousands of people make their voices heard about wanting it too. Which they won't.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Happy with Psyonix's messaging here, and I agree and am glad to see they think this stuff is the obvious future.

But man I don't have the spirit for a 4th thread like this which will have the same mind boggling talking points.

Soulflarz

Banned
Honestly, a game like Rocket League can probably hit 1080p 60fps in the hands of a more experienced developer. Not saying Psyonix is lazy or anything, but that graphics aren't that impressive in Rocket League.

Maybe if they hired Shin'en to do the port, they could hit 1080p 60fps.

Rocket league is actually graphically demanding, weirdly enough.

And the devs have gotten damn good at optimizing it vs what it was at 2 years ago.

"When I bought and paid for a PS4 I did so under the condition that I was buying into a pristine and closed ecosystem with only Sony Players® like myself. Why should Sony let just anyone have the valuable commodity of online play with Me? Might as well just send out a bunch of storks to deliver precious, diapered PS4s to the masses who just want to get their grubby pings all over My network."

I have literally been not buying or playing titles for my PS4 because I couldn't play them online with my friends who own different consoles. Now I don't have to give a shit and I can buy and play those titles on my Switch while Sony and their Valuable Players can just keep barking about how cross platform doesn't help anyone (expect players, who want to play games with each other).

Fuck off into space Sony. Full cross play everywhere is coming and the longer you fold your arms over it the worse you look.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
720 is fine given on the go is how you should play this on Switch.

If I want to play this on TV I'll play on Xbox or PS4

odhiex

But what about those Childrens?? we need to protect them.

FFS Sony, get all of your Stakeholders sit together and discuss with a common sense.

Sony's stance, which is probably more the stance of stakeholders, will only change when they are selling fewer consoles than they should have.

Let's see if this has any effect on it. GAF and the internet tends to make a huge deal from something and then it's suddenly gone after 2 weeks. That's bad.

AllGamer

Come on, Sony. I don't care if they are the market leader. Don't claim to be all "for the players" and then pull this shit.

Sordid

Why would I want crossplay? There are loads of players on the PS4.

There are loads of players on all platforms, I think PS4 peaks just over 150,000 players while PC and Xbone peak around 100,000 each.

If you play at a non peak time maybe there won't be a lot of people playing in your region. Maybe the playlist you like has few players in it. Having crossplay gives it more chances of finding players in your region and/or preferred playlist. Plus not every game is as popular as Rocket League, if crossplay is going to be more prevalent going forward it gives smaller/less popular games more chances to thrive rather than splitting their small playerbase up between different platforms.

I give it three months tops before Sony buckles and plays ball. The negative press they're getting from this is just too overwhelming to simply hand-wave away.

Sony has arguably been the people's champ in the eyes of many this generation, now is not the time to ruin that reputation.

That's the hope. We just need to keep pushing the issue.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Let's not forget to protect the chIldren from evil Switch and Xbox players.

PC players are all angels though. Fucking in PlayRoom is all good too. Kids need to learn about the birds and bees somehow.

Mechazawa

Is matchmaking time a problem with RL though?

Rocket League has a ton of playlists with the playerbase split out across them and your matchmaking time is going to vary depending on how few or many modes you want to queue up for and which ones. It's not like you get in matches instantly, so a bigger pool is only going to make that better.

robotrock

Banned
Honestly, a game like Rocket League can probably hit 1080p 60fps in the hands of a more experienced developer. Not saying Psyonix is lazy or anything, but that graphics aren't that impressive in Rocket League.

Maybe if they hired Shin'en to do the port, they could hit 1080p 60fps.

Well they also have to port UE3 to the Switch so it's probably a good bit of work.

I don't know how NetherRealm got MK9 to run 60fps on the Vita but it was pretty cool

Skyzard

Banned
^ ah UE3. MK9 got 60fps on Vita by looking like ass :p

Rocket league is actually graphically demanding, weirdly enough.

And the devs have gotten damn good at optimizing it vs what it was at 2 years ago.

It's demanding for like 5 year old low-tier gpu cards... :/

Cerium

Well they also have to port UE3 to the Switch so it's probably a good bit of work.

I don't know how NetherRealm got MK9 to run 60fps on the Vita but it was pretty cool

MK9 and Injustice were literally reverse engineered and rebuilt from the ground up for Vita.

TimPV3

And YES you can cross play with friends. People really need to stop spreading that misinformation.
How? I haven't played Rocket League in a long time, last time I did we just used the PS4 OS party system. Isn't it going to be complicated to party up and chat between Switch and the Xbone with separate party systems? Does Switch even have a party/chat system yet?

Again, I'm not familiar with Rocket League's in-game party system/the Switch's online situation, so if anyone could enlighten me that would be great.

RedRum

Banned
The goal for the Switch version of Rocket League is to have it feel like it does on every other platform. Developer Psyonix is hoping to get the game running at 60 fps in both the Switch’s docked and undocked mode, running at 720p. The performance of the game, the developer argues, is more important than pure visual fidelity.

Christ.. these guys are my vote for fucking developer of the goddamn decade.

Oregano

Considering its on an engine with no support on Switch I'll give them credit to maybe not hitting the best performance theoretically possible. As long as the game looks okay and runs well it's all good.

wanders

He’s hoping the PlayStation community is loud enough about wanting this to happen that Sony decides to let it happen. Cross-platform play, including the PlayStation 4, could happen today if Sony told them they could do it.

It's time guys

newsguy

Honestly, I would continue to play the console versions of RL when at home, and strictly play the Switch version on the go. 720/60 undocked should be amazing, but I wouldn't play it docked at 720p after 2 years of playing the console and PC versions. Not sure why Sony are being idiots about cross play.

Unsure why people want PS4 crossplay in this. It's not like you can party up with people on different platforms, right? The Switch version will probably have a decent amount of people playing online when you add in the Xbone and PC crossplay.

Because in an ideal world everyone could play against everyone no matter his platform.

Having cross platform MP is moving the industry forward.

Why are you defending Sony? This is a shitty move, arrogant as hell and there is already a 2000 posts thread about this. If indie devs and gamers around the world keep on the pressure on arrogant Sony (via Twitter #4theShareholders for example) then they will change this idiotic, anti-consumer policy.

qko

Unsure why people want PS4 crossplay in this. It's not like you can party up with people on different platforms, right? The Switch version will probably have a decent amount of people playing online when you add in the Xbone and PC crossplay.

A fresh new batch of players for a game that's been out for a couple of years and keeps the community thriving. Let's say this game hits XBLG as a freebie next Spring, I can pull out my Switch or fire up my PC and play with those new people who just got the game.
PS4 players will be left out of that community.

This might not matter for games that have yearly installments like CoD or Battlefield, but for these kinds of evergreen games, crossplay will matter a lot in the coming years.

sonto340

I play Rocket League daily and I've disabled cross-play with PC players. Why would I want crossplay? There are loads of players on the PS4.
Why would you want to play with less people. What logic are you even trying to lay out here. I don't understand. What is the con to having a larger pool of players.

Gandie

How? I haven't played Rocket League in a long time, last time I did we just used the PS4 OS party system. Isn't it going to be complicated to party up and chat between Switch and the Xbone with separate party systems? Does Switch even have a party/chat system yet?

Again, I'm not familiar with Rocket League's in-game party system/the Switch's online situation, so if anyone could enlighten me that would be great.

There is an ingame party and chat system on PC at least. Will have to be changed a bit for Switch. I doubt Nintendo will allow custom chat.
No friend list though, so we'll have to rely on the system level for party creation.

Top Bottom