• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League on Switch targeting 720p 60fps. PS4 crossplay a "political barrier".

OmegaFax

Pardon asking probably a redundant question: Do the Mario and Luigi hats show up on other platforms or will they be replaced with generic placeholders on PC and Xbox?

Nerix

Unsure why people want PS4 crossplay in this. It's not like you can party up with people on different platforms, right?
That's indeed a big barrier. I wanted to play RL with a friend of mine. He has the pc version, I have the ps4 version. Not possible to make specific matchmaking cross platform.

Tbh: whether I play with randoms on ps4 or other platforms doesn't really matter for me, so the feature is not as great as it sounds (as long as the community on one platform is large enough, what's the case for RL).

SickBoy

Yeah, I don't care if it looks like their previous game (SSARPBC), so long as it has a smooth frame rate and no tearing.

From a quick Google Images search:
4GiqVyb.gif

EDIT: (Note, that image is SSARPBC, not Rocket League Switch)

Not 100% sure I'll get it for Switch, but I think it's an essential title for anyone who ever has an opportunity to play local system-linked multiplayer.

OmegaFax

Either removed outright or replaced. You can't see the console exclusive stuff on PC.

I hope the Mario stuff in Minecraft doesn't get dropped altogether. Since the Nintendo Switch Edition is being replaced (and possibly delisted) after the cross-platform version update comes out, I got a bad feeling it's going to be the one thing that won't transfer over to the new version if in Rocket League's case, console stuff (Halo and Twisted Metal if I recall) doesn't show up.

Cerium

I hope the Mario stuff in Minecraft doesn't get dropped altogether. Since the Nintendo Switch Edition is being replaced (and possibly delisted) after the cross-platform version update comes out, I got a bad feeling it's going to be the one thing that won't transfer over to the new version if in Rocket League's case, console stuff (Halo and Twisted Metal if I recall) doesn't show up.

They said they're still negotiating over that stuff and will have details later.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Current Sony sucks, its basically back to PS2/PS3 arrogant levels. I blame you Sony Gaf for feeding this monster.

mcrommert

Banned
Either removed outright or replaced. You can't see the console exclusive stuff on PC.

First when you say pc i hope you realize it is only on win 10 on pc...java is a separate version

Mojang says they are still in talks with nintendo so that nintendo exclusive skins and stuff will work across if you buy them...which sounds great because that means at the least that halo stuff will be availabe across all platforms if you buy them on xbox

Jagernaut

Question if anyone knows. Can you communicate in-game with other players on different platforms? If not, what's the difference between playing with friends and random players?

Honestly, the idea of crossplay is amazing and I hope we get that for games like call of duty and other 3rd party multiplats in the future. Nintendo gamers would benefit heavily with more people in lobbies for all modes against Ms and Sony owners

Current Sony sucks, its basically back to PS2/PS3 arrogant levels. I blame you Sony Gaf for feeding this monster.
I can't blame them. Their main competitor is MS after all, and the idea of using Xbox live servers for Sony does sound a bit jarring. It benefits the switch at least though, because it needs a big install base/lobby.

First when you say pc i hope you realize it is only on win 10 on pc...java is a separate version

Mojang says they are still in talks with nintendo so that nintendo exclusive skins and stuff will work across if you buy them...which sounds great because that means at the least that halo stuff will be availabe across all platforms if you buy them on xbox

I hope you realize you're in a thread about Rocket League and we're talking about Rocket League.

I can't blame them. Their main competitor is MS after all, and the idea of using Xbox live servers for Sony does sound a bit jarring. It benefits the switch at least though, because it needs a big install base/lobby.

Psyonix runs the servers. Sony wouldn't be using Xbox live servers.

Flintty

I think the real benefit of having it on Switch is having the option to play portable. The cross-play and local wireless options are a plus too, giving people more ways to play locally with their own screen.

This. And I'd rather they went for frame rate over resolution for this game. It's a no brainer.

wartama

Neo Member
One of the best things to come out of E3. I've always wanted to play RL but didn't own any of the other systems, so I'm so hyped for this. And cross-play too? Based Psyonix.

Fbh

720p and 60fps is great for the Switch. Being able to play rocket legue on the will be awesome.

Cross play with Ps4 would be great but could we really sleep at night knowing Sony is no longer able to protect kids around the world?

Gestault

Jeremy Dunham said:
So far Microsoft had the highest and “most complex” requirements for security, so meeting those barriers made it easier to deal with the requirements of the other platforms. The hard work has been done.

This is super interesting, and also a great way to look at it.

LordOfChaos

So far Microsoft had the highest and “most complex” requirements for security, so meeting those barriers made it easier to deal with the requirements of the other platforms. The hard work has been done.

I wonder if Sony is afraid people will find out their security is tin cans and a string

Will be interesting to see how this turns out. I'll be getting it and hope it hits 720p undocked, but I think the main thing is that it maintains 60fps.

The crossplay is also nice as I don't have to concern myself with wondering if there will be a big community on Switch.

AEREC

Targeting 60fps = 30-60fps

Disappointing but Id be kind of surprised if they could make it a solid 60 on switch without significant visual downgrades.

smisk

Odd that Sony allowed crossplay between PC and PS4 in SFV but not here. Also while I'm on the topic, does anyone know if MvC:I will have crossplay?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure I understand why we're seeing a few games on Switch run at the same resolution docked and undocked. Does anyone have any insight into why?

I know that Minecraft put the increased power towards the world size. Perhaps Rocket League will do something similar with graphical settings or performance?

janoDX

As someone who is generally a big supporter of Sony platforms, I say these devs and more should hold Sony's feet to the fire until this changes. Even the "business" arguments don't hold water because they are preventing major quality-of-life types of features on their systems.

Really glad to hear their priority on framerate over resolution and visual "flash", Rocket League is definitely a game where smooth and clear gameplay is most important.

Many games and gamers would benefit from crossplay. Destiny would be incredible with it, Rocket League, PUBG, Black Desert (if it comes out for PS4), Tera Online.

But Sony right now has bullshit reasons to say no.

Is this the first time you've ever heard a dev talk about framerate? It's always "targeting 30/60 FPS". Doesn't say anything about if they're having difficulty achieving it or anything like that

Targeting mostly means it's not hitting 60 constantly in my book. That's why I expressed my doubts. Will wait for DF.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Cool! It's main appeal is gonna be as a handheld version I think so that's pretty cool. I would just use my PC to play on TV. I know other people are in other situations, but Rocket League isn't a spring chicken.

Hope they can get it locked to 60, low-res hurts but not as much as sub-60 will

I never thought I would live in a world where 720p would be called low-res, haha.

I'm positive that even at 720/60fps, the game will look good docked and even better on the handheld. The Switch isn't a powerhouse but everything I've played on it so far looks great and runs fine. Just look at other games with vehicles like Kart or Fast RMX, both running at 60fps well.

Shock32

I hope one day Sony allows it, so we can all sit down and play a game with people from other systems. Then afterwards just be like "welp, that was fun I guess" and move on.

Top Bottom