• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lupin III - "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine" |OT| HARD & DANGEROUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeyes

Guys, the Japanese pronunciation is almost identical to the French one so use that if you wanna sound authentic. But honestly, since both syllables don't exist in English you'll probably mess it up anyway. Just stick with "Loopin" :p

7Th

Or Hiramatsu!

Why would anyone with Animeda/Animage/NewType not be excited as fuck about Hiramatsu doing an episode? As soon as any hypothetical person reads Hiramatsu's name in the conte credit he or she would run to Twitter and 2ch and repost a photo of the staff listing at least 10 times.

duckroll

Why would anyone with Animeda/Animage/NewType not be excited as fuck about Hiramatsu doing an episode? As soon as any hypothetical person reads Hiramatsu's name in the conte credit he or she would run to Twitter and 2ch and repost a photo of the staff listing at least 10 times.

I dunno, no one did that for Shouko Nakamura either. In fact, reading 2ch, the only indication of the ep credits is actually because people took my posts here or animesuki, and reposted it back in Japanese.

I think you overestimate how much general people in Japan care. I don't think anyone in the Sakuga threads and stuff actually buy magazines, and they rely a lot on leaks and what other people post. It's kinda sad really. :(

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I wouldn't expect Hiramatsu to do a episode till the second half of the series though. Still holding out hope for a imaishit episode!
holy shit knew venturing into ot would be a good idea?

is this show as amazing as it sounds?
It's pretty awesome shit so far.

Zekes!

So I've always really wanted to watch/read Lupin III, so I decided to check this series out. I watched the first episode this morning and thought it was pretty cool.

Then later at a used bookstore I found 5 volumes of the first manga series (though they were out of order). What a crazy coincidence.

Now, I imagine I take more issue with the nudity in this series than the average fan, but this guy's opinion of Episode 1 is just maddeningly wrong on so many levels. Fujiko is a strong female character? Define "strong," then we'll talk. Strong as in "kind of a ****" or strong as in "independent" or strong as in "practically a demure housewife by the end of Part I?" I mean, come on, did you even watch the other installments of Lupin III? Read the manga? And I know he's seen all this stuff because he's commented on and reviewed some of it. He's just painting his own revision of reality to further his lopsided argument.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
He's basically complaining that it's not like the old ones.:p

It was pretty amusing to watch him rant about it at least!

He's basically complaining that it's not like the old ones.:p

It was pretty amusing to watch him rant about it at least!

Thing is, it's not like Fujiko was some feminist beacon in the First Series or the Second Series or in the manga. She really is a pretty terrible person with a sexualized presentation when it boils down to it. They just did what they could to fit in within the constraints of the TV format. If anything, the TV series got more fanservicey as time went on. We're skipping two decades of TV series nudity "development" and moving into a late-night show for grownups. I'm not thrilled with the nudity, but this isn't exactly out of character for Fujiko, you know?

Sorry, I just had to rant about this guy.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Personally I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the sexualization of Fujiko, I mean it is a pretty ADULT series, and all the characters are all pretty immoral to begin with in the series anyway, so there's really no case of a particular sex being portrayed worse than the other. Plus it is directed by a female.:)

Finally saw the first episode. Animation is slick, the characters are funny, and the OP's music is fantastic.

I remember watching a few episodes of the Green Jacket series on adultswim but that was it. I should probably look up the original novels since this series is supposed to be the closet to it in terms of art style and overall tone.

Finally saw the first episode. Animation is slick, the characters are funny, and the OP's music is fantastic.

I remember watching a few episodes of the Green Jacket series on adultswim but that was it. I should probably look up the original novels since this series is supposed to be the closet to it in terms of art style and overall tone.

Only the "Red Jacket" Series (the Second TV Series, more officially "Lupin the Third Part II") ran on Adult Swim, at least in the US. The first episode borrows a couple shots from the First Series, but none that show Lupin's jacket color. Is there an overseas version of the adult swim block or something?

edit: Here's the opening they used for a healthy chunk of the adult swim run and on the DVDs: http://youtu.be/rm99tmzmXkk
The Adult Swim-original intro, for old times' sake, too: http://youtu.be/usyB8mMBSdU

duckroll

Episode 3

Hmmm... I don't really think I liked this episode much. It was extremely predictable, and it felt like a stock episode of any long running cartoon series - be it western or Japanese. You get a feeling of how things are going to play out very early on, and they don't really play with your expectations at all. Not really a fan of the supporting characters this week either. Everything just felt... really stock. It's unoffensive but also generally uninteresting. I expected more from a train episode with Goemon involved. :/

@7th: I have no idea what you're talking about...

LordCanti

Episode 3:

"Man they really held off on the boobs this epis.. Oh there we go."

I enjoyed it. Maybe it wasn't as good as episode 2, but it was fine. I'm having Lupin (the character) withdrawals at this point, so the sooner things come back around to his and the rest of the groups interactions, the better the show will be for it IMO.

duckroll

I enjoyed it. Maybe it wasn't as good as episode 2, but it was fine. I'm having Lupin (the character) withdrawals at this point, so the sooner things come back around to his and the rest of the groups interactions, the better the show will be for it IMO.

Next week's episode is about
Fujiko having to aid Zenigata after she gets arrested. He makes a deal with her to help apprehend Lupin after he challenges to steal the mask in a famous opera.

LordCanti

Next week's episode is about
Fujiko having to aid Zenigata after she gets arrested. He makes a deal with her to help apprehend Lupin after he challenges to steal the mask in a famous opera.

That sounds like a much more interesting premise than this weeks episode. I do love
Goemon and his woman troubles
though.

So my only experience with Lupin previously was Castle of Cagliastro, which was a really great movie and yknow, pretty family friendly for the most part. My little brother also enjoyed the movie So I figured it'd be cool for him to watch this too...but then I saw nipple pinching and I was like "what". Was nudity common in the old Lupin series?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So my only experience with Lupin previously was Castle of Cagliastro, which was a really great movie and yknow, pretty family friendly for the most part. My little brother also enjoyed the movie So I figured it'd be cool for him to watch this too...but then I saw nipple pinching and I was like "what". Was nudity common in the old Lupin series?
Yeah this series definitely isn't appropriate for kids.

LordCanti

It wasn't as common, but it did exist for sure. CoC is the exception. This has more of a manga feel, which means more violence and nudity.

It wasn't as common, but it did exist for sure. CoC is the exception. This has more of a manga feel, which means more violence and nudity.

Lots of Lupin didn't have nudity. The overwhelming majority of the First Series episodes, a vast majority of the Second Series episodes, at least a simple majority of the Third Series episodes, the 5th feature film Dead or Alive, the Green vs. Red OVA, the live-action movie and almost all of the TV specials (sans two or three.)

duckroll

I don't think this new series has much in common with the general perception of animated Lupin really. It's definitely targeted at an adult audience, and it isn't really written or directly to be a sort of all-ages adventure series at all.

LordCanti

Lots of Lupin didn't have nudity. The overwhelming majority of the First Series episodes, a vast majority of the Second Series episodes, at least a simple majority of the Third Series episodes, the 5th feature film Dead or Alive, the Green vs. Red OVA, the live-action movie and almost all of the TV specials (sans two or three.)

You've really been staying on top of that Fujiko nudity, haven't you?

I don't blame you.

You've really been staying on top of that Fujiko nudity, haven't you?

image.php

seriously though, I don't especially care for it

Episode three was brilliant. The art was impressive as ever and I love how Fujiko and Goemon interacted with each other. Their motives for being on the train were good and I especially enjoyed how
Goemon confessed to his target that he had been hired to kill him and took his side once he was betrayed by his "boss." I'm also glad he wasn't going around cutting people in half; I'm very glad none of the characters kill without good reason.
Goemon has always been a man of honor and it really showed in this episode, can't wait for the next!

I don't think this new series has much in common with the general perception of animated Lupin really. It's definitely targeted at an adult audience, and it isn't really written or directly to be a sort of all-ages adventure series at all.

They've still done a great job maintaining what makes the characters so interesting, though. Whilst it's very different from the other stuff, we still have the seductive and beautiful woman, the wacky child-like thief, the dark and mysterious gunman with a distaste for women along with the serious, skillful samurai. I'd say early Green Jacket was late teens, post-Miyazaki Green Jacket, Red and Pink were all family friendly, this is a return to the late teen and up audience the beginning of Green Jacket had (only it's much better IMO.)

Ultimadrago

Lupin III: A Woman named Fujiko Mine 3

I didn't enjoy this as much as 1 or 2, but I didn't dislike it. Also, Goemon
taking a look at the goods before goodbyes.
What a guy.

Also, that ending Goemon line,
completely the opposite of Jigen's notable line in Episode 2 as far as in "cool" factor goes. But thaaaat's our Goemon!

checkeredknight, in all the episodes/OVAs you've watched, does Goemon ever note that
he has cut something of worth (lol)
?

checkeredknight, in all the episodes/OVAs you've watched, does Goemon ever note that
?

I honestly cannot remember. Duckroll or Lupin the Wolf might have a better memory than me!

There are a couple of times in the series where he has used his sword for things
a lot less trivial then chopping cars in half and de-clothing people. He's even chopped a shooting star in half too. It seems to be a running joke that he has the sharpest sword in the world and he ends up using it to cut silly things. Goemon is a very disciplined guy though and he values his sword more than his life. I think it would be very difficult for him to find something he deems worthwhile. I'm glad he still sticks to the "worthless object" line in this series.
:)

TDLink

in all the episodes/OVAs you've watched, does Goemon ever note that
?

I am pretty sure he says it -is- worthy when he cuts either some lightning or a tornado (forget which) in one of the specials. I forget the name of the special but it is the one with the anti-Lupin and the dude who hulks out at the end. Sorry I don't remember the name.

I honestly cannot remember. Duckroll or Lupin the Wolf might have a better memory than me!

There are a couple of times in the series where he has used his sword for things
a lot less trivial then chopping cars in half and de-clothing people. He's even chopped a shooting star in half too. It seems to be a running joke that he has the sharpest sword in the world and he ends up using it to cut silly things. Goemon is a very disciplined guy though and he values his sword more than his life. I think it would be very difficult for him to find something he deems worthwhile. I'm glad he still sticks to the "worthless object" line in this series.
:)

There's also an episode where his sword breaks. I just watched it recently... I think it's the first episode of Red Jacket, against the weird supermetal cyborg dude.

I found that strange considering how much he prizes his metal-cutting sword. But hey. U:

There's also an episode where his sword breaks. I just watched it recently... I think it's the first episode of Red Jacket, against the weird supermetal cyborg dude.

I found that strange considering how much he prizes his metal-cutting sword. But hey. U:

I hate it when that happens! His sword is supposed to be made of a material that can cut anything. From time to time episodes like this will appear where it's like "well oops something is stronger than his sword!" The point of the sword is that it can cut anything... feels like they're stuck for ideas when they start doing plots like this. It's not so bad with Mr. X in the first episode of Red Jacket, but there are many other instances where it has annoyed me... :X

TDLink: You're thinking of Da Capo of Love: Fujiko's Unlucky Days, released in the US as The Columbus Files ("the guy who hulks out at the end" happens on multiple occasions, though, so that threw me a bit). I don't remember a comment like that from him, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I haven't watched that special in years. I can't think of any other examples of Goemon saying something he cut was worthwhile.

The series has always played it fast and loose with continuity. What's Goemon's sword made from? It's a fusion of three other swords: Masamune, Kotetsu and some other one that seems to change depending on the source. No wait, it's made from the metal of a meteorite like iridium or something! No, wait, it's forged using a special compound detailed only on a memory-metal document in the shape of a dragon!

One of my favorite Part II episodes is the one with the egg-shaped safe designed by the son of safe-maker Marukin. In the dubbed version, Goemon tells everyone not to panic and attempts to cut the safe with Zantetsuken. The sword then snaps cleanly in half, nearly slicing someone nearby. Goemon looks at the stub of his sword and says, "All right. Now you can panic." And he just chucks the hilt behind him!

jett

D-Member
This is such a cool show, but miss the lightheartedness of previous series. Also needs moar loopawn. Goemon was pretty badass though.

Imm0rt4l

I think the 3rd episode was relatively weak.

Fujiko can't keep her clothes on even for a single episode.

Not that I'm complaining.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Third episode was okay.. I guess. I enjoyed it, but it definitely lacked the energy and style of the previous episodes, the way the episode plot-line climaxed was relatively weak in a way too, did love how they managed to tack in a naked fujiko scene at the end of the episode.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I liked the third episode, if for no other reason then the almost complete lack of "Fujiko." Until the ending totally ruined it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom