• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
Oh yeah, a neat little thing: Jojo is heavily based on psychic and horror movie stuff, and the first four stands are all related to standard ESP tropes:

Star Platinum: telekineses (because normal people can't see stands)
Magician's Red: pyrokinesis
Hermit Purple: spirit photographs
Hierophant Green: mind control

It gets a bit less overt later on, but a lot of stands are references to supernatural stuff like this.

Morlas

*old geezer with a pet beetle*
Abdul: OMG he's faster than star platinum

*Frenchmen with a sword*

Next episode

*Crippled kid with a pet snail*

I mean he still wouldn't fix the issue about them being hung up with each other, so you need to change more than that

i'm talking more about Naruto and Sasuke's encounters being less about bringing him back because he's naruto's friend and more about Naruto wanting to kick his ass because he hurt his friends
sakura mostly
and to be honest with you Sakura's character type is much more suited to showing growth in spurts than hinata's is which is why i think a main character role suits hinata much better since her character archetype favors gradual growth with big shakeups interspersed throughout the story

cntr

Banned
Just get rid of Sasuke and Sakura, and make Naruto, Shikamaru, and Hinata the central group. Then make Gaara the friendly rival and Neji the asshole rival. And keep Rock Lee around as he was, of course.

In fact, that's almost literally what Kishimoto did in proto-Naruto. Sakura and Sasuke were editor-suggested additions.

Morlas

Just get rid of Sasuke and Sakura, and make Naruto, Shikamaru, and Hinata the central group. Then make Gaara the friendly rival and Neji the asshole rival. And keep Rock Lee around as he was, of course.

In fact, that's almost literally what Kishimoto did in proto-Naruto. Sakura and Sasuke were editor-suggested additions.

Originally it was going to be a series focused on Naruto and his sensei...i guess it would've been Jiraiya....and he was going to go on adventures with his ninja friends every once in a while...also Hinata was originally meant to be a Hyuga civilian.

caliph95

That makes too much sense

cntr

Banned
That makes too much sense
Yeah, his editor asked Kishimoto to give Naruto a rival, and he came up with Sasuke. And then Sakura happened as a source of romantic "drama".

Presumably Neji and Hinata would've been the main rival and heroine otherwise. I mean, just look at how much more well-integrated and detailed their backstories are in comparison, especially Hinata's.

Kishimoto also told the guys who made the anime that Naruto and Hinata were going to get together even before Part 1 finished, which also suggests she was going to be a main character if Sakura hadn't existed.

Morlas

Yeah, his editor asked Kishimoto to give Naruto a rival, and he came up with Sasuke. And then Sakura happened as a source of romantic "drama".

Presumably Neji and Hinata would've been the main rival and heroine otherwise. I mean, just look at how much more well-integrated and detailed their backstories are in comparison, especially Hinata's.

Kishimoto also told the guys who made the anime that Naruto and Hinata were going to get together even before Part 1 finished, which also suggests she was going to be a main character if Sakura hadn't existed.

it's still hilarious how much people freaked out over hinata winning, "bu-bu-but my parallels and progressions!!?!!?" please if you had half a sense for relationship progression you would've seen that Hinata and Naruto's relationship had way more progression throughout the story whereas Sakura and Naruto's remained mostly the same since the beginning of part 2

Ray Down

Banned
Man NaruSaku people flipped out when in an interview Kishi said there interactions and Naruto "love" for her were pretty much red herrings.

It was hilarious, I really hope other series like MHA don't go down that road.

Morlas

Man NaruSaku people flipped out when in an interview Kishi said there interactions and Naruto "love" for her were pretty much red herrings.

It was hilarious, I really hope other series like MHA don't go down that road.

at least we know that Luffy's only waifus are meat and adventure

cntr

Banned
Thankfully, there seems to be fewer Jump series with dumb love triangles nowadays. Both MHA and Haikyuu telegraph their intended relationships super-hard, for example.

...not that that stops any shippers, but meh, who cares about them.

at least we know that Luffy's only waifus are meat and adventure
Yeah, Luffy will either end up with nobody or
with Hancock, since she's basically Chi-Chi.

cntr

Banned
There's a tennis manga in Weekly Shounen Magazine, called Baby Steps, where the main guy and girl
start dating
. I wish more series did it like that.
Do it, MHA, do it.

Though OP at the moment is seemigly doing a romance.
Oda's basically
reversing pre-timeskip Sanji and making all the women actually want him instead of rejecting him.

It's kind of lame since it's not as funny, but I'm pretty sure it's not leading up into anything long term.

Morlas

The good thing about doing romance with side characters is you just need to make it sweet or tragic and it generally works pretty well

edit: or both

In all honesty, I find that most romances in serialized stories are always unsatisfying because they're never the main focus anyway so they either dangle that carrot on a stick or if they do pull the trigger, the relationship is inert and uninteresting.

My philosophy is to either

keep it in romantic stories
or
keep it to shorter formats like movies
or
start out the story together
or
have it end badly.

cntr

Banned
That's because most writers are terrible at writing romance, nothing inherent in the concept.

Would be easier to pull off in comics, though, since you can push it along with background interactions and body language. You can't do that in prose, and tv shows demand too much focus. (For example, there's at least one romance in MHA that exists almost entirely as a background interaction.)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm kind of surprised they didn't add "HD" or "Uncut" to emphasis the fact it's not the same version that aired on Toonami back in the early 2000s, similar to when they had Naruto "Uncut".

Korigama

Only one eyecatch made its way in during season 2 of AoT (one before the commercial break in Sasha's episode). Back in the days of old Toonami, the eyecatches for Outlaw Star did remain.

Also, on the Naruto shipping topic, I dropped that series long ago, having tried and failed to get back into it with Shippuden, and even then Naruto ending up with Hinata rather than Sakura made more sense to me.

cntr

Banned
The long promo for Outlaw Star did mention it was HD at the end.

...I think anybody could figure out it was HD just by looking, tho.

I think they didn't mention it was uncut because the uncut stuff is mostly Lewd. And that's kind of weird to advertise.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The long promo for Outlaw Star did mention it was HD at the end.

...I think anybody could figure out it was HD just by looking, tho.
What if I was watching on a non HD version of CN or via a CRT?!

I do remember now that the promos stated it was in HD, but considering how they promoted Naruto was uncut, I'm kind of surprised since this was WAY more edited back in the day, they would've done the same for this.

cntr

Banned
Which they immediately put toward more ads, naturally.
The issue is that US network standards demand 2 minutes more of advertising time than Japanese networks, so airing more ads by cutting down the eyecatches is better than having to cut other, more important stuff to air ads.

Like, for example, a lot of Jojo episodes skip the OP or ED (or both!) to make the episode longer. Dealing with stuff like that can add up.

*gets off work, sees that Gamescom is today*

ULEegzZ.gif

cntr

Banned
The first three episodes were done a few years ago as part of the test dub, so probably this episode was them getting used to the voices again. The second half sounded better, and the clips they've released of later episodes sound fine.

cntr

Banned
Oh yeah if you missed it earlier, Enya, that old woman with Dio, is voiced by Barbara Goodson, aka the voice of Rita Repulsa from Power Rangers.

cntr

Banned
She voiced Rita Repulsa, the actor was someone else.

The Japanese actor was her in Season 1, I think? But they replaced her after that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
She voiced Rita Repulsa, the actor was someone else.

The Japanese actor was her in Season 1, I think? But they replaced her after that.

Yeah they dubbed Japanese Rita for the first season but then obviously had to recast her when they ran out of original Japanese sentai footage. Or I think that's how it went.

Regiruler

Oh yeah if you missed it earlier, Enya, that old woman with Dio, is voiced by Barbara Goodson, aka the voice of Rita Repulsa from Power Rangers.

I thought she sounded familiar.

(I don't care for the character (yet) though, I think dio was better without someone like that)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom