• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterok

KiraKira Precure À La Mode 28

A calmer episode for Himari, though she probably doesn't see it that way. Well she managed to gain some more confidence, and faster too, so that was nice to see. I would like to see more tactical Himari since as a sweets scientist she knows how to best combine the Kirakiraru for new attacks. Next episode Yukari becomes mopey again. She's the most interesting, but I hope that doesn't become her thing too much.

My Hero Academia 33

It wasn't taken as far as I would have liked, but it was nice to have a bit of stylization, particularly with the colors, during All Might's history exposition. What I liked most was that Gran Torino brought back his "Who are you?" question and actually turned it into something meaningful on a character level.

Frankly, though, I don't find the larger plotline with All for One and the League of Villains that compelling. More Froppy fun, please.

blurr

Yeah, the grander plot line isn't really that impressive but I hope it builds something out of Shigaraki and his role in the events.

Aiii

So not worth it
As dumb as Knight's & Magic is, I really like that show. It has zero substance, but I keep coming back to it every week. *shrug*

MHA S2 ep.20

So he can cling to the sides of building with no footing, but those horizontal round pipes, huh?

I see it as he is pushing off against footholds with One For All and essentially hopping from one foothold to the next. Bigger objects are easier to push against, while small round pipes are easier to misstep on, causing him to fall because he got careless.

JCG

There's only one writer. This is peak Okouchi.

I just find it kind of hilarious that having two absolutely harmless "filler" side adventures after a fair amount of stronger stuff (all written by the same person) already has some people running for the mountains. I wonder what'll happen when someone gets, in more proper spy fashion of course, betrayed or backstabbed later in the show.

DNAbro

Kaiji Episodes 1-8

I tried watching this a couple of years ago and got bored. Started watching it again and I'm enjoying it more this time. The music used reminds me of Zero Escape for some reason.

duckroll

I just find it kind of hilarious that having two absolutely harmless "filler" side adventures after a fair amount of stronger stuff (all written by the same person) already has some people running for the mountains. I wonder what'll happen when someone gets, in more proper spy fashion of course, betrayed or backstabbed later in the show.

Not like there's much "later" left. Only 5 episodes to go.

Qurupeke

Princess Principal 7

I liked that the workers threw their dirty, full of sweat clothes to those girls... I hope the next episode is an undercover infiltration to a pastry factory or something. Singing happily included.

Ascheroth

As dumb as Knight’s & Magic is, I really like that show. It has zero substance, but I keep coming back to it every week. *shrug*
Same here. Zero substance, but a lot of fun. It's kind of amusing that it would actually make for an easy recommendation despite its shallowness, since the show is so busy fawning over the mechs that there is none of the typical isekai and "anime" bullshit.
And there are like 3 or 4 new mechs every episode, lol. Orange putting in good work.

Knight's and Magic 08

41kltxx.jpg
bmNzFKX.jpg
Like a boss. Background art still on point too.

phaze

Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt 05-08

This was ... actually passable ? Feels somewhat empty in that there is not much in there really outside of mecha battles but maybe that's for the better considering some of the character work in the previous episodes. And while the leads get little characterization they are neither kids, nor pansies and not even harem protagonists, one is even a capable woman. If that's not progress than I don't know what is. There's some story beats that I don't quite get which I'd guess stems from not having a clue about UC, long break since the first outing (really, I don't think, release schedule is doing this any favors) and it still being pretty frantic and chaotic but again, it was still much better than the predecessor. Also yay for me finally meeting the infamous Newtypes ....

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Princess Principal 7

Cute girls doing industrial Britain things.

RedSwirl

Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture

Finally grabbed the Blu-Ray. I think this was the first fighting anime I ever saw back in the day. It was probably a year or two before DBZ showed up on US TV. My brother and I watched this shit religiously. We rented it over and over again but for some reason never bought it. It was part of that mid-90's period where just about every fighting game was getting an anime movie: This, Street Fighter, Battle Arena Toshinden had an OVA (and they all had shower scenes), even Mortal Kombat tried to do an anime feature.

Today, to be honest Fatal Fury doesn't feel quite as cheesy as I thought it would. It's total 90's ham (particularly the dub), but it's actually a well-constructed movie. It didn't have Street Fighter's animation budget but the fight scenes still have a really good energy to them. One thing I gotta say though is either the VHS I watched back in the day was censored or I'd just forgotten how all over the place Mai's boobs were in this movie. I'd always remembered the Fatal Fury movie had some of the most infamous fan service of its era, but Mai has one-frame nipple slips all over this movie.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 105

If you die in LoGH then appear in a flashback later on, you can't talk. I can only assume that they didn't get the voice actors back because of the way the series was released.

If you die in LoGH then appear in a flashback later on, you can't talk. I can only assume that they didn't get the voice actors back because of the way the series was released.

isn't that common practice for minor appearances in episodes and flashbacks? The assumption is they didn't get the VA to come back or didn't want to pay them for such a small insignificant role from their part.

If you're referring to
Yang, his voice actor passed away not long after recording Yang's death scene

DNAbro

Kaiji Episode 15

WHAT

This is the first time watching this show that I'm thinking that this is incredibly stupid. Fucking magical ass looking glass bridge supported by nothing.

Taruranto

Re:creators 18

They managed to insert talking even into this episode, amazing. Whathername turning into a magical girl was expected.

Hey Anime GAF, long time no see.
These cells were given to me, and I have no idea what they could possibly be from (not even sure if they're from the same source material or not).

Does anyone here happen to recognize where these are from? Thanks!

Meier

It looks like Genshiken second season is essentially the third season. Does anyone know if Genshiken 2 is available to stream from any service? Crunchyroll just has the more recent one. I loved the original show back in the day but this "second season" just drops you right in the middle of a bunch of new characters so I feel like I should watch 2 if possible.

Quasar

Harmony Gold is the worst company ever.

Not that they are the only company to blame, but yeah.

Which is sad given how much a cherished part of my childhood Robotech is, and how it was the gateway into anime for me. Even now I still really like season one of that.

Articalys

It always surprises me how many random people will show up in the middle of a Sunday afternoon at a small arthouse cinema to see an obscure anime movie.

Quasar

It looks like Genshiken second season is essentially the third season. Does anyone know if Genshiken 2 is available to stream from any service? Crunchyroll just has the more recent one. I loved the original show back in the day but this "second season" just drops you right in the middle of a bunch of new characters so I feel like I should watch 2 if possible.

Yeah. I guess due to changing manga publishers or something Genshiken continued on straight on with just a new name.

I'm not sure seasons 1&2 of Genshiken are streaming anywhere. At one point I think it was on Hulu.

Quasar

Is there a known reason why?

Who knows. They are also going after the new battletech video game too.

There's been some suggestion that it's related to the new Robotech comic and the in development Sony film that has HG reasserting their dubious rights again.

Narag

Hey Anime GAF, long time no see.
These cells were given to me, and I have no idea what they could possibly be from (not even sure if they're from the same source material or not).

Does anyone here happen to recognize where these are from? Thanks!

Second is from Hakugei. Wouldn't be surprised if the first was too.

edit: yeah both are.

DNAbro

Kaiji 18

Yeah I think I'm done with this show now. I'm just kind of bored with this now. Instead of getting better this show seems to be actively getting worse. My favorite part was all the randos outside the betting room being thrown in and somehow they knew all the rules. Kaiji's whole "heh no way can he read my mind" to "what he can read my mind" to "wait you actually can't read my mind" to "he can read me like a book like he said at the start" was just kind of sad. I don't think I can really watch this show for almost like 30 more episodes. Everything feels like it goes on for too long. I could just take a break and jump back in later considering all I've done is watch it today but I just don't think I want to continue.

Kaiji 18

Yeah I think I'm done with this show now. I'm just kind of bored with this now. Instead of getting better this show seems to be actively getting worse. My favorite part was all the randos outside the betting room being thrown in and somehow they knew all the rules. Kaiji's whole "heh no way can he read my mind" to "what he can read my mind" to "wait you actually can't read my mind" to "he can read me like a book like he said at the start" was just kind of sad. I don't think I can really watch this show for almost like 30 more episodes. Everything feels like it goes on for too long. I could just take a break and jump back in later considering all I've done is watch it today but I just don't think I want to continue.

You are weak. You would never survive the Pachinko, let alone the Akagi gauntlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom