• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

BobLoblaw

Banned
RagnarokX said:
But the same amount of material in a chapter is just stretched out into an episode. It makes it seem much slower than it needs to be. You could get the same effect by just reading each chapter very slowly :p
I watch the anime exclusively even though I have easy access to the manga. IMO, the anime's just better. Great voice acting and great animation. I mean, the Luffy vs Lucci fight and the Luffy vs Oz fight may have looked ok in the manga, but seeing it animated isn't exactly the same thing.

The only One Piece opening I don't particularly like is "We Are" (which most people consider to be the best). One Piece has amazing openings. But yeah, this one is really long.

Himuro said:
You don't like We Are?!

:eek:

i fucking HATE One Piece fansubbers. Now they won't even translate the fruit names. I'm watching ep 399 and this group subs this,"Monkey D. Luffy with the power of the gomu gomu no mi..." with a translators note at the top "Gomu gomu no mi = Gum Gum Fruit". I could kinda deal with Kaizoku's weeaboo-isms by making stuff like nakama and fruit names like Gum Gum retain their Japanese names but this is the last fucking straw

a;sdjf;asdfja;sdfj;asdf;asdfj

I have One Piece bootlegs from China that have horrible English. Character names are completely wrong: Luffy is Roof, Sanji is Sunkist, Helmeppo is Belmayber;etc. It's like, I can't EVER get good subtitles or translations for One Piece. Even the official dvds are awful and full of weeaboo claptrap instead of fully translating the got damn dialogue.
Absolutely.

I miss out of what the hell they are saying because they don't translate some words they think is "IMPORTANT" to be left alone.
I mean come on not everybody who watches these are Otakus, most aren't.

Firestorm

I kinda liked nakama because if he kept going "THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP" it woulda sounded cheesy. This has the "I have no clue what he's saying so that's cool" thing that people like in their jRPGs.

I don't even know what fansubs you're using though. I wish a group did it consistently. I'm pretty sure I've gone through at least 8...

Also, I like the newest opening. The best was the one right after Skypeia though. Love it so much.

Firestorm

Ah yeah. Comrade would have been perfect actually. Ah well, I guess that's why we have professional localizers. What does Funimation use? I wish they had plans to release a larger pack of episodes for a cheaper price :( Although they probably do. I just found out they released FMA as 2 boxed seasons. When I bought it it was 2 seasons of 2 boxes each. Before that it was the standard 13 volume set...

Firestorm

Himuro said:
What are some good One Piece fansub groups you guys can suggest past Kaizoku fansubs? The problem with One Piece is that there's no central fansub group that ever sticks with it.
I went:
KF -> BalF (useless now and horrible) -> GeruSama (might be useless now) -> ADC-Elites -> Vegapunk -> AnimeSoftSubs (ASS) -> Instantz -> yibis (did not use a tag for first few episodes) -> KubuSubs

Starting with Vegapunk is when you get 720p eps.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Himuro said:
What are some good One Piece fansub groups you guys can suggest past Kaizoku fansubs? The problem with One Piece is that there's no central fansub group that ever sticks with it.
Yibis is pretty good, but they haven't been doing it too long. Outside of them, there's maybe one or two more that are at least competent (like KubuSubs and Vegapunk though they're waay behind in subs and practically dead). Still, I feel your pain. I've seen all 400 and a lot of the subbing is just downright lazy. My standards have been lowered so much, if I can at least tell what's going on, I'm happy.

Edit: FYI, I don't think 720p episodes existed before 294.

Firestorm

I think much of it has to do with how long it takes to get started. Bleach's first episode is pretty good. It's later on that it becomes total shit. Naruto is good by around episode 4 and really good by around 12. And then of course it takes a dive into the pits of hell itself. One Piece on the other hand starts out horrible for about 30 episodes before becoming absolutely insane forever (except skypeia but hey some of you like it).

Although now my friends' arguments against starting it is "400 episodes holy shit"

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Belfast said:
Also, a pet theory I've had for a long time, curious if anyone else thinks it's plausible:

I think that Robin is related to Luffy, mostly likely as a cousin. I've always surmised that Roger ends up being Dragon's brother, and that Roger was in love with Olvia. Hence why she was rarely home to see her daughter, she was traveling around with Roger! Considering Roger could read Ponegliffs, he was probably either taught by Olvia or was a resident of Robin's home island for a period of time.
But Roger couldn't read the poneglyphs :p

Firestorm said:
Ah yeah. Comrade would have been perfect actually. Ah well, I guess that's why we have professional localizers. What does Funimation use?

"Friend". The problem with comrade is that it has military and political connotations that wouldn't be appropriate.

Firestorm said:
That and the 6th opening tend to be people's favorites.

Firestorm

Heh, true enough. In Star Ocean 4 a character uses Comrade a lot and I just couldn't shake off the feeling of communism :lol

grandjedi6

The North American publisher Viz Media has revealed on Thursday that it plans to publish the latest chapters of Eiichiro Oda's One Piece pirate manga in the English Shonen Jump magazine. The latest chapters from Japan will start their English magazine run this fall. The story follows a rubber-bodied pirate captain named Monkey D. Luffy and his motley crew as they seek the "One Piece" treasure of a legendary pirate king. The North American distributor Funimation will start streaming the latest episodes of One Piece's television anime adaptation within an hour of their Japanese broadcast on May 30.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-05-14/viz-shonen-jump-to-run-latest-one-piece-chapters

KimiSan (via bjork) posted this originally in the manga thread but its so awesome I'm posting it here too omg yes.

The North American anime distributor Funimation, the Japanese studio Toei Animation, the Japanese publisher Shueisha, and the Japanese broadcaster Fuji Television Network have announced that they will stream the One Piece pirate anime series within an hour of the weekly Japanese broadcast. The free, English-subtitled simulcast will start on Saturday, May 30 at 9:00 p.m. CDT with episode #403 on www.onepieceofficial.com, followed soon thereafter by Funimation's partner sites.

Funimation has also started streaming the first two anime episodes and the Sabaody Archipelago Saga story arc (starting with episode #391) with English dubbing and English subtitles on Thursday.

Update 2: The streams with both English dubbing and English subtitles begin from the anime's first episode. Funimation is streaming the later Sabaody Archipelago Saga story arc on Thursday, but only with English subtitling.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-05-14/one-piece-to-start-simulcast-on-may-30

gdt

Just some info

One Piece is on Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/one-piece

Each Saturday, Hulu will add -- direct from Japan -- subtitled episodes of One Piece, one episode per week on a seven-day delay from its original Japanese airdate. We will also post 2 library episodes each week.

The dubbed version is not currently available to Hulu, but we will continue to pursue both dubbed and subtitled versions of anime.

Not really much use to us, but...well, it's something to keep in mind.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Holy mother of god how the fuck did I skip this stuff. Holy shit fuck me. I am on episode 278. Shit, shit... shit is epic. I skipped this before. How. HOW. HOOOOOW.

I am glad I missed out on the anime. Now I can watch it all on one go :lol

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So it seems like what FUNi is doing is posting 2 episodes a week from the start (1-2 last week, 3-4 this week, etc.) and posting one Sabaody episode per week (391 and 392 are up now).

Plus the simulcasting, which starts this weekend.

Relix said:
Holy mother of god how the fuck did I skip this stuff. Holy shit fuck me. I am on episode 278. Shit, shit... shit is epic. I skipped this before. How. HOW. HOOOOOW.

and to think just a few months ago i wanted to slap you for your constant one piece hating.

Jcdragon

I'm not a big OP anime watcher (prefer the pace of the manga), but I was looking forward to easily being able watch the upcoming arc. I checked the One Piece site today and came across this:

Funimation said:
As anime fans know, FUNimation Entertainment planned under the authorization of Toei Animation, Fuji Television, Shueisha for the first ever online simulcast of the series ‘One Piece’ tonight at 9:00 pm CDT., just one hour after its premiere on Japan’s Fuji Television. Unfortunately, in the last 24 hours we have determined that the FUNimation servers were compromised, even though we employ strict security standards. An unknown individual accessed and posted episode 403 online and as a direct result of this illegal act, all U.S. and Canadian fans will be deprived of access to this great anime series for the immediate future. We will use the full extent of our efforts to locate and prosecute the perpetrators and will provide updates in this most serious matter.

http://www.onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

=/

Relix said:

hahahah, I remember when you used to rag on one piece somewhat...

You are just going through the usual stages of reaction... But yeah, water 7, ennies lobby is EPIC

Belfast

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

This is why we can't have nice things. Apparently one hour after the original broadcast is not soon enough for some people. Asshats.

TheOneGuy said:
Wow, what bullshit. (Not on their part, on the jackass' part.)

WTF but they should just still release it. I mean now all they did was make me search google for the video which is online now........

Rather than watching it on their site.

Kreed

DemonSwordsman said:
WTF but they should just still release it. I mean now all they did was make me search google for the video which is online now........

Funimation probably would, but Toei and the other Japanese studios involved with One Piece's broadcast in Japan have prevented them from doing so. These studios don't want Japanese viewers being able to watch new episodes online before they even air in Japan (which was the case with episode 403), so until Funimation fixes the "leak", Toei and co. won't allow them to air more episodes online.

Also, as stated in the manga topic, the leak was actually on Funimation's part. Apparently all the perpetrators did was change the number for a direct link to an old One Piece episode to 403 and downloaded it directly from Funimation's site.

Blader

Kreed said:
Funimation probably would, but Toei and the other Japanese studios involved with One Piece's broadcast in Japan have prevented them from doing so. These studios don't want Japanese viewers being able to watch new episodes online before they even air in Japan (which was the case with episode 403), so until Funimation fixes the "leak", Toei and co. won't allow them to air more episodes online.

Also, as stated in the manga topic, the leak was actually on Funimation's part. Apparently all the perpetrators did was change the number for a direct link to an old One Piece episode to 403 and downloaded it directly from Funimation's site.

:lol

Twig

Banned
DemonSwordsman said:

Right, but as has been pointed out, I doubt Funimation has a say in the matter, if they want to keep releasing the show in the future.

Sure maybe they were partly at fault for dumb (lack of) security, but they're not the ones who released it early. It's some asshole on the interwebs.

Belfast

Kreed said:

Eh, still, I think this is a case of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should." It might've been easy to leak the episode, but I don't know...people don't use their brains.

TheOneGuy said:
Right, but as has been pointed out, I doubt Funimation has a say in the matter, if they want to keep releasing the show in the future.

Sure maybe they were partly at fault for dumb (lack of) security, but they're not the ones who released it early. It's some asshole on the interwebs.

Well if they actually uploaded an episode before hand with the link then that is just stupid.

Besides JUST saw 403. NEED 404 RIGHT NOW!!!

Belfast

Himuro said:
It's been years since I read Skypiea and Davy Back Fights but I'm watching the anime and there's an arc after they leave Skypiea. The crew falls right into a Marine fortress called Navarone.

It's fucking awesome.

But...

I don't remember this in the manga at all?

I really like OP4.

That's because it's filler, and not in the manga. :)

joshschw

Himuro said:
Oh my Gawwwwwwdddddd, I cannot find a One Piece group that has any episodes that pick up right after Kaizok's last ep (257 or so). Many of them have them in the late 300's, but shit, I want after Kaizoku's run.

Try searching for gerusama or ADC-Elites. I think they may have done them. Don't remember off the top of my head though.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Ennies Lobby ending was FUCK. AWESOME. Shame at the mega slow pacing but well... something had to be done =P

grandjedi6

404!
GIF time!: epic save

Of course next week is a very important episode and then we will have 2 filler episodes afterwords. But thankfully they're on Detective Luffy, and everyone loves Detective Luffy! After that we'll go back to the main plot in July.

well i suppose its time i start watching one piece again its almost been a year since i have watched oh boy can't wait.

Also yes the filler arc after Skypia is fuck awesome.

Dartastic

grandjedi6 said:
404!
GIF time!: epic save

Of course next week is a very important episode and then we will have 2 filler episodes afterwords. But thankfully they're on Detective Luffy, and everyone loves Detective Luffy! After that we'll go back to the main plot in July.

EPIC save. I love the fact that there's only TWO filler episodes. Seriously. As compared to Naruto's shittacular TWENTY FOUR. <3 OP. Also, you're right, EVERYONE loves Detective Luffy! So good.

Himuro said:
wtf

why have Nami's breasts gotten bigger as the series goes on? This is ridiculous. :lol I'm sure that by the end of the series (whenever that happens) they'll be twice her size.

:lol

It's probably just a change in art style or something. Either that, or the editors pressured Oda into making them bigger.

grandjedi6

Himuro said:
wtf

why have Nami's breasts gotten bigger as the series goes on? This is ridiculous. :lol I'm sure that by the end of the series (whenever that happens) they'll be twice her size.

Just be glad that they don't bounc..... #$@%

I think I'm just going to have to start up the manga again. I don't want to wait until July for it to pick up again. :lol

Watching 404 soon. Yibis just put it up I believe. And I do have to agree with these fansubbers putting there stupid notes at the top. I'm fine with Nakama and Gomu Gomu but that's about it. If Zoro's doing one of his moves, just right 36 pound cannon. I don't need that much Japanese in my English sub. :lol

I don't want to start seeing it this bad.

1183323920049.jpg

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man this show. Aokiji aside, this is really the only time the strawhats have been faced with a categorically insurmountable scenario. They were always able to just TRY REALLY HARD and overcome basically anything. Now they haven't even set more than a toe into the New World and they are literally ants.

I love how while One Piece does have the normal "series of enemies of increasing strength" to drive the plot along, we get glimpses at entire subsets of people that categorically outclass everyone in the bulk of the show. Shanks and Whitebeard, Mihawk, the Admirals, etc. Luffy and co are havin their fun time adventures and thinking they're all hot shit but man we know better. This is really the first time those two worlds have significantly overlapped, and it is not pretty!

Shit be CRAZY GOD DAMN.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I've already watched 404 twice and will probably watch it 3 or 4 more times before next week. Great, great stuff. The Strawhats are being obliterated and next week looks like they're done for.

Like Tath said, they haven't even reached the New World yet and they're being decimated. They'll all have to become MUCH more powerful/confident if they want to have any chance at all. With Admirals like Aokiji and Kizaru, the 7 Warlords, and the Yonkou, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them dies at some point in the next year or so.

Neo C.

Himuro said:
wtf

I thought Nami and other female characters always had ridiculous sizes. :/

Yet I like the way Oda draws.:D

Top Bottom