• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Bii

Trying to be a bit better opening up figures I purchased. So here's Storm Collectibles' Hot Ryu. Just like the video game model its based on, it's surprisingly bulky. Getting it to stand up without the stand takes a moment since the figure tends to fall back if you don't have it balanced.

I like the background insert that's included. Won't use it much but it's nice to have.

Edit: Forgot to tilt his head properly for the photo. Eh, too lazy to retake it.

LLRdXYf.jpg

I won a $25 eBay gift card recently so I might use it on a future Mezco or Storm Collectibles' purchase. Man, browsing Mezco figures on eBay is tough with all the fakes out there.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Fake Mezco?
wat
I'm actually curious to see what those look like.

You know what's a mistake, though? People paying $90 for BS R2-D2 when there are so many waaaaaaaay better options for less.

Yarbskoo

You know what's a mistake, though? People paying $90 for BS R2-D2 when there are so many waaaaaaaay better options for less.

Well shit, you can get the model kit for like twenty bucks. Even if you have no idea what you're doing, you can probably still get a better result than a Black Series figure.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Well shit, you can get the model kit for like twenty bucks. Even if you have no idea what you're doing, you can probably still get a better result than a Black Series figure.

The 2-pack kit of R2 and R5 is $21.70 shipped on Amazon right now.
Including shipping from Japan I paid $42 for the Figuarts R2-D2.
I just don't get it.

TAJ

Speaking of those SW Bandai Kits, where can they be ordered from? I thought Disney blocked most imports.

They only blocked them from being sold by US retailers. You can easily get them from third-party sellers on Amazon and everywhere else.
A few of the ship models are available in US stores through Bluefin.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
You can also buy ship models at Barnes and Noble. It's not the best "blocking". Perhaps more for the actual figure kits, not ships.

Been a while since I posted any pickups. I haven't stopped collecting. I continue to do unspeakable things to my bank account all in the name of tiny plastic figures (and books!), but I just haven't gotten around to taking photo visual evidence of my crimes. Thought I'd finally post some GI Joe pictures.

3zASv67.jpg

Always loved Tomax and Xamot, so the 25th anniversary set was a no-brainer. Nice, faithful update to the classic designs. It pretty much epitomizes what that line was all about.

lMZLL29.jpg

I can't remember which Destro and Baroness these are. I bought them loose, after doing way too much research on picking out modern versions of them. While I dig the PoC Money Bags Destro, he's just too far removed from the classic Destro look I want on my Joe shelf. Most of the Baroness figures seem pretty bad. This was the best I could find. I'm happy with her. She's always been a favorite of mine. Short of going crazy and getting that Sideshow version, this one will do.

QmynOQ0.jpg

These Stalker and Tunnel Rat figures really represent the two different routes Hasbro went with the modern Joes. Tunnel Rat is a faithful recreation of the classic figure utilizing the modern tooling and engineering available--I really love that they made the pistol on his gun removable. Meanwhile Stalker is a Pursuit of Cobra update. I love how tactical and "real" he feels. If Stalker were a real soldier, I'd imagine this is what he would look like all geared up.

9FWXvcC.jpg

I'll be honest. I hated Shipwreck. I thought his classic figure sucked. I was never into that generic Navy sailor look. This 50th anniversary Shipwreck figure made me like the character. It's a cool, tactical update that makes him fit right in with the others. He actually seems like a soldier now, while not going too tactical. Instead of hanging back on the Whale or the USS Flagg, he seems like he should be right alongside Duke and Flint.

oEvW7jJ.jpg

JeNXTnb.jpg

Pursuit of Cobra Lowlight is the shit. Much like Beach Head, he's a super-detailed, highly tactical version of the classic figure. So much care and attention was put into this guy. He's really the best example of what modern GI Joe is. A high water mark that Hasbro has no interest in ever reaching again, it seems.

Like I said, i have more stuff to post. I'm sure I'll get around to it. Lots more Joes (I think I'm close to having all the figures I want), plus I have a few really bad decisions coming in the mail. But I think this batch will do for now.

I was a casual GI Joe fan back in the day and had a few figures. Is the modern remake of Airtight any good? He was my first figure so a new version could be cool.

Some pics of Vegeta from my Instagram account:

£14 I had to pay the Post Office to release it from customs, cheeky bastards. The VAT I understand but I had to pay an £8 handling fee, that's more than the shipping cost from Japan!

It's a pretty cool figure though so at least there's that :p

dangeROSS

Digging that MegaMan Legends figure and GI Joe stuff. I have been a 6 -7 inch collector forever but recently took the plunge into 3.75 inch figures and like the scale so far. Don't think I will ever get into GI Joe stuff ( Want to keep it mostly contained with MArvel / DC stuff ) but feel like I have missed out on alot of smaller figures and I'm hoping more companies continue working in the scale. So it's neat to see things I would have never even really looked at before with new eyes.

And also impressed by everyone else's cool photos being posted.

Messi

Some pics of Vegeta from my Instagram account:

£14 I had to pay the Post Office to release it from customs, cheeky bastards. The VAT I understand but I had to pay an £8 handling fee, that's more than the shipping cost from Japan!

It's a pretty cool figure though so at least there's that :p

At least it wasn't over $9000

ChrisD

figma Corrin delayed to September. My wallet is safe for now.

I had her and Kat pre-ordered, both were August.

It looks like AmiAmi lets you combine things back together if you want, so I could push Kat back to a September shipment date, I suppose? If I'm reading it correctly?

I was just wondering if I should do so to save on shipping or nah? I've only ever ordered one Figma at a time, does the weight of two of them change anything drastic at all?

Guess what I'm really asking is, will I be better off spending $25~ in two roughly $12 shipping fees, or should I combine them? If two Figmas in the same order raises the price to $20 or so, I would rather just pay the extra to get Kat (shipped out) this month.

Sorry for only ever asking questions when I pop into this thread, lol. Thanks in advance. (And further apologies for if this post makes little sense in terms of coherency, I'm up at a stupid hour~)

Order from Nippon Yasan. Less time to wait and (usually) no customs. Amiami is customs galore, so sod that. That said, my Vegeta was held up as I ordered it via CDJ (with other figs so eh).

Anywho!

Gravity Rush Kat 2.0 has also shipped. Not looking forward to the customs charges there.

Yarbskoo

I had her and Kat pre-ordered, both were August.

It looks like AmiAmi lets you combine things back together if you want, so I could push Kat back to a September shipment date, I suppose? If I'm reading it correctly?

I was just wondering if I should do so to save on shipping or nah? I've only ever ordered one Figma at a time, does the weight of two of them change anything drastic at all?

Guess what I'm really asking is, will I be better off spending $25~ in two roughly $12 shipping fees, or should I combine them? If two Figmas in the same order raises the price to $20 or so, I would rather just pay the extra to get Kat (shipped out) this month.

Sorry for only ever asking questions when I pop into this thread, lol. Thanks in advance. (And further apologies for if this post makes little sense in terms of coherency, I'm up at a stupid hour~)

Honestly, I'm not really sure. The only time I've had more than one figure in a monthly shipment was in May, when I got two figma and a Mafex. Shipping was about 3,860 JPY for EMS, compared to 2,360 JPY to ship a single Nendoroid in July.

TAJ

I ordered two things at the same time on AmiAmi and the shipping was twice as expensive as it usually is with one similar item.

ChrisD

Honestly, I'm not really sure. The only time I've had more than one figure in a monthly shipment was in May, when I got two figma and a Mafex. Shipping was about 3,860 JPY for EMS, compared to 2,360 JPY to ship a single Nendoroid in July.

I ordered two things at the same time on AmiAmi and the shipping was twice as expensive as it usually is with one similar item.

Split is is! Thanks.
(Hope mine isn't 2,360 though, it was closer to 1,600 last time I ordered a Figma o.o)

At least it's preassembled. Curious about quality.
Gundam Fix Figuration Metal Composite are usually cheaper than the Metal Build's that i usually post. as it's a line up that's suppose to be for lesser budget.

here's a review of a the origin rx-78 which i'm told is solid

this is the first time i seen one in this price range.
the ad says featuring "Metal Build" maybe it's MB quality to justify that price tag. lol

i never brought a Fix Figuration. this may be my first. but i'm on the fence i'll probably pass.

Top Bottom