• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubie

5bcOr1G.gif

0ZxNrT5.gif

Vettel looking for that secret Hamilton sauce lol.

John_B

Everyone was ready to throw the season away from the times in FP2. This is looking like a decent fight tomorrow.

No I'm on about people creaming themselves over Mercedes and taking the piss out of Ferrari after the first two practice sessions. Clearly only started watching the sport recently
Sorry, it's just a running joke. Few people here actually hate Ferrari, and the top story starting each of the past 5 years has been "the Ferrari is good this year, we swear!" I doubt you'd find a single person here actually -upset- that Ferrari is performing.

Whoever lucked out and accidentally picked Ricciardo for most positions gained tomorrow will top the league!

xrnzaaas

The top3 looks exactly like I predicted but there are some surprises in top10 like Grosjean. Really bad luck for Ricciardo. :(

Also it's funny how the bottom four are the guys owned by their teammates.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sums bottas up nicely. Good but not quite good enough. #NUMBER2DRIVER

I think he did pretty damn great. Coming into a team on the last minute, no experience, new guys, new car. I am going to bet that in a few months time he will challenge HAM more than ROS ever did.

Mastah

Why would anyone write Bottas off? He's in the same car as one of the best drivers in F1 history and he was closer today than Rosberg has ever managed against Lewis in Australia. People are silly.

Bottas is curious. You'd think he would be overjoyed with 3/10ths off Hamilton in his first qualifying session for the team. Just yesterday I said that a half second wouldn't have been that unreasonable to expect and still would have made him look fine. Rosberg would have killed for 3/10ths the past 3 years. Now there's a man who knows how much he lucked out and decided to GTFO.

Zaru

Why would anyone write Bottas off? He's in the same car as one of the best drivers in F1 history and he was closer today than Rosberg has ever managed against Lewis in Australia. People are silly.

Seriously. Lewis is a great qualifier (probably going to break the all-time record this season) and particularly good at Melbourne (5? poles)
Yet he's been beaten in points by people that he outqualified before (and vice versa), plus the gaps can vary wildly between races. It's not like Lewis was never a few tenths off from Rosberg in qualifyings.

By mid-season we'll have a better idea.

Zaru

Also, those goddamn minisector boxes. As the commentators on my broadcast said, they make you stare at green/purple squares instead of the actual cars!

We're just ignoring the 9 times he out-qualified Lewis last season then? Cool.

You mean when his car exploded three times and either sent him to the back of the grid or back to tenth place?

Meaning that he had to be careful with how hard he pushed his engine till spa, where he once more had to be demoted to the back due to being forced to take a new engine?

I see what you're saying, 5 out of 20 isn't the most flattering of stats.

And as another poster said, under three tenths to Lewis around Melbourne on a Saturday is above average.

Zeknurn

Brundle is right as usual when he said that we could do with more Haas-like teams on the grid. Teams should be able to run more spec parts that are almost as competitive as what the up front teams run.

Pat Symonds is a great addition to the Sky team. Lets hope Herbert doesn't show up again.

Aiii

So not worth it
Stroll proving to be a bust pleases me, if only to prove that paying your way to the top still doesn't pay off and the fact that VER was indeed an anomaly and you can't just go to F1 and be competitive from F3.

Zaru

Surprise of the session is Haas. Putting in a clear "best of the rest" lap behind the big 3 is a TREMENDOUS (read that in his voice) achievement for a team with that budget. They aren't just driving a "Ferrari lite" with some chimera parts this year, are they?

Mastah

How much faster they are compared to last year:

Haas -4.248s (they had awful quali in 2016, so that doesn't count)
Renault -2.266s
Ferrari -2.219s
Red Bull -2.104s
Mercedes -1.649s
Sauber -1.199s
Williams -1.015s
Toro Rosso -0.897s
McLaren -0.700s
Force India -0.672s

Gaps between teams:

1. Mercedes
2. Ferrari +0.268s
3. Red Bull +1.297s
4. Haas +1.886s
5. Williams +2.255s
6. Toro Rosso +2.299s
7. Renault +2.787s
8. Force India +2.893s
9. McLaren +3.237s
10. Sauber +4.048s

That's the only disappointing thing about new rules. Difference between the best teams and the rest is too big and how much they all have gained compared to midfield over 12 months.

Definite diminishing returns for cars running Mercedes engines. Renault/Ferrari power seems to have made just as much difference as the new aero.

Zaru

Though it was funny to see someone pull purples on a fast lap and then see those purples disappear one after another because someone behind them was killing it

Xando

It lacks an indicator if all the colors means an improvement or not before the end of the sector.

Yeah. They should make the line running the sectors colored while driving through the sector
There is a line that runs under each set of mini sector boxes that goes grey for no improvement, green for personal best and purple for fastest overall sector.
But the color is only set when the sector is finished isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom