• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| March 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
MPW-43801

(Rewatch) Yup, still as badass and engaging as it has ever been.

What's up you movie loving fucks. I just saw In the Mood for Love in a movie theatre projected in 35mm...

4kTxlcL.gif

In the Mood for Love (10/10) - The GOAT.

The 35mm print wasn't even in the best condition but that just made the experience even better somehow.

As though looking through a dusty window pane, the past is something he could see, but not touch...

Ayy.

Have two people ever looked better in a movie? All those shots of Tony Leung writing, working, elbow on the table and hand in the air, cigarette between his fingers, smoke billowing up to the ceiling lights in slow motion... and Maggie Cheung, mah gawd. She has a new dress in every scene and each one is more incredible than the last. This thing would win best costume design for all time. Best hair and makeup for all time. Best cinematography from now until the end of fucking time. (Christopher Doyle and Ping Bin Lee shooting the same damn movie, how is this even fair!?!?)

Best everything.

Forever.

Toothless

The Sixth Sense surprisingly still thrills even if you know the iconic twist going in. Willis does some of the best work of his career and Osment is really great as well, definitely coming into his own in the second half of the movie. The script in general is remarkable in both having realistic dialogue and being engaging both during the genre and more realistic parts of the film. Shyamalan's direction also knows when to let the emotion really hit and when to let the atmosphere take over. The emotional aspects of this film are really what make it special, more so than the well-done reveal at the end. The Sixth Sense stands up today as a remarkable thriller and a charming story between a boy and a man.

Metropolitan (1990) (Whit Stillman): Dryly humorous, peculiar, coming of age-esque satire of Manhattan elite. Laced with interesting dialogue and ridiculous arguments. Like a hang out movie with the rich kids you're supposed to hate.

"What Jane Austen novels have you read?"

"None. I don't read novels. I prefer good literary criticism. That way you get both the novelists' ideas as well as the critics' thinking. With fiction I can never forget that none of it really happened, that it's all just made up by the author. "
Have you already seen Last Days Of Disco?

a grand update from I, zhe... wait where y'all going?

I finished the entire series of Parks & Recreation a month or so ago and I've come to believe this lovable show has been become an elseworld horror show, where government is boring but still workable, and a lady can get elected to important offices. Back in reality, everything plays out the same, except with the bad ending. I believe an Impeachment Patch is in the works though. Lazy devs, pfffft.

and movies:
Justice League Dark (2017) - see, this is everything what you can hate about the current brand of DC movies, because even though this is animation, it pulls the exact same shit of 'past villain', magic without any rules, twisty mctwist villain, villain is muahaha god I am, city being basically destroyed, deus ex solution. YAWN. Nice voiceover work, but aside from two effective gags concerning Batman I would consider a rousing bout of watching paint dry over watching this.

Dr. Strange (2016) - unsympathetic man is unsympathetic student, becomes unsympathetic main character (not for lack of supporting actors trying to uplift the movie, but Strange is not a very good character), and kind of wins at the end due to the help of his glorious sidekick: MISTER CAPE! Because that CGI cape is seriously the best thing in the movie where you go "now that's a character". It kind of comes together-ish at the end, but as a whole you wonder what the point of introducing another style of magic -which is surprisingly dull if you ignore the special effects- is to the MCU movies. At the very least you get to know in the credits scene that this lesser character is going to hook with that other 'who?' character: Thor. So that's a thing.
It's a fine attempt in itself and if you're willing to ignore the lack of creating sympathy for the main until the last act, you can probably just enjoy the effects for what they are while watching this, but I'm not one for the 'shut yo brain off' message.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2017) - because that way, you get shit like this. Okay, that's actually underestimating this movie. It's still the same dumb schlock you know from the other movies, but it goes back to the first movie, has a credible plot that uses the elements from the first movie along with some callbacks that are pretty fun.
Except the whole is edited by someone with ADD-ADD-ADD, which is too say the editing in this one would drive even Peon up a wall for just how insane it is. Which is a shame, because there is quite some competent work under all that, but the editing on this is just too much. It's difficult to sit through, and I have no idea why China loves this thing so much. Maybe their cut was re-edited?

rewatch: Hunt for the Red October (1990) - after all that I needed a good, calm breather in the form of a good old fashioned good movie, featuring Bond and Alan Grant as Russian captains stealing a boat. Every story beat makes sense, even scene has a reason for it, there is good framing all around... it's lovely. Directed by John McTiernan. I wonder what that guy is doing now......oh... director hell, huh, well that sucks.

Assault on Arkham (2014) - this animation is basically what DC edited the suicide squad woodchipper to churn out and completely failed at. Assault on Arkham has the same shitty nonsense title sequence, the same shitty use of fonts, Waller being a dumbass, the Suicide Squad being bullshit, and a minor part by the joker. Except in this one, he actually gets to be what he does best, and that's piss off Batsie. So this animated movie actually works, because it's 40% just straight up Batman, with the other 60% being the useless squad. Had the Oscar Winning movie gotten the same structure, it would have been tolerable.

Lego Batman (2017) - BATMAN NANANANA BATMAN, see, this works. Why? Because Batman. Charming because lego, filled to the brim with references to everything Batman ("Using a squad of villains? No, that's just stupid" ) and just launching them at you at machine-gun speeds. It is a fun movie, but it does run into a lack of the sincerity that was part of the Lego movie with the Will Ferrell scene. At the same time, who cares, BATMAN! It's a good addition to the Bats rewatch pile. Also, I had no idea that
"you complete me" in The Dark Knight referenced Jerry McGuire.
That's just one example of the meta-gags this movie is filled with, and it's worth it on that alone, in my opinion.

The Accountant (2016) - I wanted to just briefly watch a few minutes of this and then do something else, but I wound up watching the whole thing because right at the start the editing is wonderfully illustrating the value of sound as off-screen space while on-screen, a shoe is held in a frozen decent. The movie as a whole walks a fine line of allowing being serious border on potentially unintended comedy, but manages to carve out a satisfying different take on a known plot by specifically framing what isn't being seen, like most of its direct violence. It's rare to see a movie so focused on proper editing while using sound mixing to its fullest these days, and I really enjoyed the movie for it.

Moana (2016) - the movie that, despite gaf being all over, is kind of bad. Not terrible, and it has its charms with the self-aware tattoos (which is a very Clements and Hall thing to do) and heihei being, well, a chicken, but in general it just doesn't coalesce into a satisfying story. Major problem is the lack of a real conflict and resolution for it, along with some really jarring tone differences between parts of the movie.

The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (1953) - frankly, this is just more my thing. A nuke, ice melting, and a terrible thunder lizard released by the heat after thousands of years in slumber. Which btw, is really not possible because the Arctic sea ice is being replace all the time. The maximum age is something like three years (or thirty, I don't recall which exactly). Of course, the movie does go out of its way to clarify the existence of permafrost preservation and how the dinosaur managed to survive a 100 million years. It's a really pleasant movie to watch, despite its age. What struck me however, is that there are many element in this movie that also show up in the 1998 Godzilla, making me wonder if Devlin and.. ehm... the director didn't secretly just want to remake this '53 movie and used Godzilla as an excuse to do it.

Planet of Dinosaurs (1977) - and because the dino from the previous movie makes a cameo in this one, I watched this whole (shitty) movie. It's a really bad movie with some acceptable stop-motion for the dinosaurs. But at least after watching this, that T-rex neck snap in Jurassic Park 3 finally makes sense to me, because that's what the T-rex does in this movie, and that scene in JP3 was probably another movie reference. It's kind of weird to reference such a shitty older movie though.

Have you already seen Last Days Of Disco?

I have now.

So back when when Stillman made his return with Damsels In Distress (2011), I watched it having been familiar his work but never actually seen them. I had a good time with it, and made a mental note to myself to take care of that blind spot. Fast forward 5 years, and the great Love & Friendship (2016) releases, I watch it, love it, and make that same note. Well over the last 2 days I finally took care of his 90s "trilogy." I already mentioned Metropolitan, but Barcelona (1994) and The Last Days of Disco (1998) are just as fun and strange. Just some really quirky movies filled with these tangent laden conversations that build to a point you're never sure will be a serious thought, or some commentary, or some kind of punchline, or some kind of self aware satire. Maybe all of those at the same time. Similarly, the pacing and "plot" reveals are off kilter and occur in this matter-of-fact way, just beneath all the character chatter, as they attempt to dissect and make sense of their lives. What a weirdly endearing universe of wry, uptight, sometimes bumbling socialites. I love it.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Wasn't expecting much. The cinematography in the second act was absolutely gorgeous but beyond that it was just okay. Didn't care for the male lead's awkwardness and mumbling nor did the rest of the cast really command much presence. I'm a big fan of fantasy and like I said, the movie felt great in its second act. Beyond that though, I didn't feel like the Potterverse translated well outside of Hogwarts.

Glad to hear there will be more films though so maybe that'll rectify it.

Pachimari

Have you seen Under The Shadow? That was the best horror film I saw last year.
Nope. I will give it a watch soon!

I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore (2017)

Streaming now on Netflix. Directorial debut for Macon Blair, veteran of Jeremy Saulnier films. This gets a bit cute at times, if you weren't tipped off by the title. It's a fun Coenesque romp with plenty of charm and violence.

I fucking loved the hell out of it!! Watched it twice already.

I should really get around to watching this after Ghost in the Shell (1996).

Mi goreng

Bogan

Yeah this was pretty good. The bar has been set low by superhero movies and this raised it by a fair margin. Still it didn't do as much for me as other outings recently.

Trainspotting 2

Lot's of love. It was great to see these characters again and interacting with each other. That ending was so stress inducing too, jesus.

I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore

Pretty damn good. Love Macon Blair in the other flicks and this was a solid first directing effort. Now I hope I can see Kuso that played at Sundance soon like this and not have to wait forever.

TheFlow

Banned
Logan 2017
★★★★
Logan is a brutal flick that doesn't pull back punches when it comes to action or the emotional scenes. My only complaint is that I wanted more.

I saw Hardcore Henry last week. Not the best scenario (no shit...) but entertaning as hell! There are some very over the top caracter that he meet in his journey.

Even though it's action packed, dont' worry, there are some dialog scenes to help you rest a bit before the next action sequence kicks in.

I recommend it.

There is also that brothel scene that is quite nice...

I have now.

So back when when Stillman made his return with Damsels In Distress (2011), I watched it having been familiar his work but never actually seen them. I had a good time with it, and made a mental note to myself to take care of that blind spot. Fast forward 5 years, and the great Love & Friendship (2016) releases, I watch it, love it, and make that same note. Well over the last 2 days I finally took care of his 90s "trilogy." I already mentioned Metropolitan, but Barcelona (1994) and The Last Days of Disco (1998) are just as fun and strange. Just some really quirky movies filled with these tangent laden conversations that build to a point you're never sure will be a serious thought, or some commentary, or some kind of punchline, or some kind of self aware satire. Maybe all of those at the same time. Similarly, the pacing and "plot" reveals are off kilter and occur in this matter-of-fact way, just beneath all the character chatter, as they attempt to dissect and make sense of their lives. What a weirdly endearing universe of wry, uptight, sometimes bumbling socialites. I love it.
Yup, Whit Stillman makes quite multi-layered comedy dramas. Same as you, I worked through his filmography after Damsels In Distress. He's taken over Terrence Malick in frequency of film releases XD

hampig

Saw a trailer a while ago and decided on a whim to watch it when I noticed it on Netflix last night. I really liked it a lot, the movie had a ton of character and charm. The lead girl was pretty likable, but the movie really revolves around Elijah Wood. Definitely the highlight of the movie. The scene that really sold me on the movie was Elijah Wood
bursting into a house and whipping a throwing star into the wall.
He played the likable weirdo perfectly.

My one complaint is the ending. I feel like they downplayed any sort of theme the movie was trying to get across by trying to (for lack of a better word) "shock" you. I would have had more of an epilogue than the quick ending they go with.

Edit: Also, the hacking scene with Elijah Wood was hilarious.

Sean C

Jackie (2016): Jackie's central thesis on a savvy political wife's desire to control her family's public image and cement the "Camelot" legacy, irrespective of the reality, is not terribly new, either in regard to its specific subject or in general. But it's well-executed, and has at its centre a phenomenal lead performance from Natalie Portman, the best of the many actresses to take on the role of Jackie Kennedy.

A History of Violence (2005): A very solid pulp thriller.

Victor/Victoria (1982): A buoyant, funny screwball comedy musical that starts to drag a bit in its final third. Julie Andrews and Robert Preston are dynamite here, and the score by Mancini and Bricusse is top notch.

Logan (2017): Not quite up there with the best entries in the X-Men franchise overall, but a very good sendoff to Hugh Jackman's time as Wolverine (we've gone through three Spider-Men in the time he's been playing the character) -- as well as to Patrick Stewart's Professor X. If FOX wants to do more with X-23 in the future, I'm up for that.

gamz

Saw a trailer a while ago and decided on a whim to watch it when I noticed it on Netflix last night. I really liked it a lot, the movie had a ton of character and charm. The lead girl was pretty likable, but the movie really revolves around Elijah Wood. Definitely the highlight of the movie. The scene that really sold me on the movie was Elijah Wood

My one complaint is the ending. I feel like they downplayed any sort of theme the movie was trying to get across by trying to (for lack of a better word) "shock" you. I would have had more of an epilogue than the quick ending they go with.

I had no problem with anything in this movie. Everytime they cut to Kevin it cracked me up!

Jealous as fuck. May I ask where? Would love to see if it's playing in LA.

Toronto.

As far as I know, this was an archival print that belongs to the TIFF Reference Library. They loan it out (it was screened a couple times in Vancouver just a little over a year ago) but obviously other prints exist, too. It's hard to track this stuff, unfortunately. MoMA in NY had a print just a few months ago for their Ping Bin Lee retrospective, and sniffing around on Google turns up a 35mm screening just last month in Arizona.

Keep your eyes peeled, because I'm sure a print has moved through LA before and will again.

kevin1025

Banned

I'm definitely watching this one today! He's been picking some excellent projects lately, with Wilfred, Dirk Gently, and this. He has the weird factor downpat!

JB1981

Manchester by the Sea

Didn't love it. Didn't hate it but ultimately didn't really care for it either. It is what amounts to what is just a long sulking sad sack of a movie. The nephew was pretty bad in it. Michelle Williams Oscar scene made me snicker. Affleck played himself just a little more dour and sad. How did he win an Oscar ?

jett

D-Member
Allied (2017)

I feel like Brad Pitt's acting skills have aged like moldy, fungal cheese. Is it me or is he only getting worse with each passing year? The days of Fight Club, Twelve Monkeys and Snatch seem so far away. What a distractingly fake performance, I couldn't buy a single thing he said, did or felt. Doesn't help that he has zero chemistry with Marion Cotillard.

So what's this thing about? Both leads meet as spies in France during WW2. They fall in loooooooooove and end up marrying each other. But plot twist, Cotillard is accused of being a secret German spy all along! Deeply uninteresting shenanigans ensue. Directed with exceeding dullness by Robert Zemeckis, from whom we see no sign of giving a shit.

Manchester by the Sea

Didn't love it. Didn't hate it but ultimately didn't really care for it either. It is what amounts to what is just a long sulking sad sack of a movie. The nephew was pretty bad in it. Michelle Williams Oscar scene made me snicker. Affleck played himself just a little more dour and sad. How did he win an Oscar ?

Scust

Manchester by the Sea

This may be your opinion but it's wrong.

Glass Rebel

Manchester by the Sea

I was with you until the Affleck part. He was fantastic and I'm not even mad at his Oscar win.

"Played himself" is as worthless criticism here as it is when people talk about RDJ's acting.

UrbanRats

Allied (2017)

I feel like Brad Pitt's acting skills have aged like moldy, fungal cheese. Is it me or is he only getting worse with each passing year? The days of Fight Club, Twelve Monkeys and Snatch seem so far away. What a distractingly fake performance, I couldn't buy a single thing he said, did or felt. Doesn't help that he has zero chemistry with Marion Cotillard.

So what's this thing about? Both leads meet as spies in France during WW2. They fall in loooooooooove and end up marrying each other. But plot twist, Cotillard is accused of being a secret German spy all along! Deeply uninteresting shenanigans ensue. Directed with exceeding dullness by Robert Zemeckis, from whom we see no sign of giving a shit.

Tree of Life was his best performance yet, and that wasn't all that long ago.

Allied was very forgettable, but i enjoyed it, tbh.
Kind of cheesy and dull though, i agree there.

It's a good inoffensive movie to catch on TV while eating dinner.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Allied (2017)

Starts off as a dull spy thriller, ends up as a dull romance, then goes back to dull spy thriller. Didn't buy any of it for a second, especially their affection for one another.

Blader

Allied (2017)

Tell that to Angie!

Allied (2017)

This makes it sound a like a WWII/serious take on Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

This may be your opinion but it's wrong.

Manchester Shaming smh

Divius

Can the op add me to the letterboxd list?
If you link me to your profile, sure thing.

added jett, kevin1025 and Fancy Clown to the OP

--

edit: letterboxd really needs groups so I just post a single link to the MovieGAF letterboxd group. There's a bunch of people in the OP list who might not even post anymore.

This is going to be hard month for movies. Just got horizon and then nier next week.

I feel like this is fake news. I feel like you're telling us "there's no way I'm gonna hit triple digits and be at the top of the wall of shame" only to blow it completely out of the water when we all relax.

I'M NOT BUYING IT, FLOW!!!

TheFlow

Banned
I feel like this is fake news. I feel like you're telling us "there's no way I'm gonna hit triple digits and be at the top of the wall of shame" only to blow it completely out of the water when we all relax.

I'M NOT BUYING IT, FLOW!!!
lol it was Oscar month. Give me a break

kevin1025

Banned
Thanks for adding me to the list, Divius!

I Am Not A Serial Killer

I liked this one. The performance by Christopher Lloyd came as a surprise, and Max Records does a real good job, too. The movie took a turn for me, I had expected it to be one thing and then it became something else, and then became even something else, so for that I have to give it credit! I didn't realize it was connected to the book (Dan Wells wrote it, and does the Writing Excuses podcast with Brandon Sanderson), so that was cool, too! The independent feel of the film always was a nice addition, really gave it a really unique visual style.

Directed by Macon Blair of Saulnier film fame. It had Saulnier, Coen brothers, and its own unique tone mashed together. Melanie Lynskey continues to be awesome, Elijah Wood is great as always, and the film itself is a nice little film about no longer taking anyone's crap after a home break-in. It takes some turns, and has sudden stark violence, but it really works. I had a great time. And I was mega shocked that that was Jane Levy, she looked totally different but vaguely familiar. And it's her second home invasion movie in a year, haha. Well worth the watch, and on Netflix!

A24 will release A Ghost Story on July 7. Get ready fam. It's a masterpiece.

Also, my first views from last month:

5) Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
4) Ivan the Terrible, Part II
3) Cure
2) The Tree of Wooden Clogs
1) Day of Wrath

HMs: A Bittersweet Life, The Lost City of Z, Kedi, The Untamed, Get Out, Les Hautes Solitudes, John Wick Chapter 2, The Blind Swordsman.

A24 will release A Ghost Story on July 7. Get ready fam. It's a masterpiece.

Also, my first views from last month:

5) Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
4) Ivan the Terrible, Part II
3) Cure
2) The Tree of Wooden Clogs
1) Day of Wrath

HMs: A Bittersweet Life, The Lost City of Z, Kedi, The Untamed, Get Out, Les Hautes Solitudes, John Wick Chapter 2, The Blind Swordsman.

Dude, what did you think of The Untamed? Hearing comparisons of Lynchian and Lovecraftian. I'm hyped for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom