• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs. AC4 PS3/360/WiiU/PS4/XB1/PC (Take shelter)

Durante

I'm confused. When I look at that image, I can only imagine the person that made it was trying to get a laugh out of people. So it's hard for me tot ell if this a serious post or joke trolling or...?
These questions are often answered by checking someone's post history.

"8 GB GDDR5!!!" is Horse Armor's schtik. He snapped some time after the PS4 reveal. Understandably so, even I was getting slightly unhinged.

Knoxcore

I think ACIV is the most aesthetically pleasing game on the PS4. Killzone and BF4 are great looking games but every time I play ACIV it's like fulfilling every boyhood dream.

TheExodu5

Banned
AC4 PS4 is the first multiplatform console/PC release that I have not been disappointed to buy in a long time. Despite not being 60fps, it runs like a dream and looks quite good. If the PC version would run at a guaranteed 60fps, I would have bought it there instead, but seeing as how my GTX 680 won't quite cut it, I'll just pick it up on the cheap in the future when I have better hardware.

RedAssedApe

Banned
creed_iv_comparej4s2h.jpg

no difference.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AC4 PS4 is the first multiplatform console/PC release that I have not been disappointed to buy in a long time. Despite not being 60fps, it runs like a dream and looks quite good. If the PC version would run at a guaranteed 60fps, I would have bought it there instead, but seeing as how my GTX 680 won't quite cut it, I'll just pick it up on the cheap in the future when I have better hardware.
Yeah, it's quite nice. It's pretty much what I would have experienced on my PC, really. Same video card here.

It doen't change the fact that the option you want is there and will be there for any game that has native MSAA support (just combine it with Nvidia FXAA, the best implementation available.
Which is why I said...

Of course, that's the beauty of the PC; the user can decide what they like on a per game basis.

Durante

HBAO+ is amazing though.

I believe Ubisoft put their top team on that Wii U version but that little console just could not handle it, so sad

e5YuU.gif

If third parties are going to throw a Wii U port to team C who might be touching a Wii U for the first time, prepare for more of the same
wtzgU.gif

My PS4 will be my 3rd Party port box, my Wii U my Nintendo IP box, this is the only way to do it

Ya, The top team, 15 people

A portion of a Nintendo Life interview with Project Manager Robin Lavallée

NL: Can you clarify for us which team has produced the Wii U version of this title?

Robin Lavallée: This is a small team in Quebec Studio composed of about 15 people.

dark10x

Sure, but those are exactly the type of features that I generally cannot use. It's nice to know they're there for the future, but at the moment, it's kind of useless to me. I suppose if the 30 fps lock worked properly (which is hit or miss) then I could use it.

If you're rocking a powerful GPU, though, it's really nice.

TDLink

The hyperbole in here over the Wii U version is hilarious. The game looks fine on that system. In fact, from the screenshots it looks better than the XB1 version. PC is clearly the best version with PS4 a bit behind that, but let's not pretend the Wii U version is the ugliest thing ever. It looks great.

In terms of performance, I don't own the game but my friend does (on Wii U) and I've been considering getting it. Based on what I've seen of the game I did notice a couple of frame drops in Havana at certain parts, but otherwise it seemed extremely smooth. And those frame drops I observed did not really seem to be obtrusive and were far from game breaking in any way.

If anyone wants to buy the game on Wii U that version is perfectly good. Your experience will not be ruined.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I believe Ubisoft put their top team on that Wii U version but that little console just could not handle it, so sad

e5YuU.gif

So we keep hearing from other devs that the WiiU is more powerful then the PS360 but when push comes to shove we still see that 7 year old hardware outperforms it on brand new titles. And there isn't an excuse that the WiiU is new hardware. Ubisoft has had dev kits for well over a year and they must be very familiar on it by now.

Which is it. Are the Ubisoft devs lying or are the other devs being disingenuous.

Also my prediction. Watch Dogs is going to run like crap on WiiU.

Durante

Sure, but those are exactly the type of features that I generally cannot use. It's nice to know they're there for the future, but at the moment, it's kind of useless to me. I suppose if the 30 fps lock worked properly (which is hit or miss) then I could use it.

If you're rocking a powerful GPU, though, it's really nice.
Or if you don't have a huge chip on your shoulder about framerates ;)

I like that it's subtle. SSAO looks pretty horrible when completely overdone.
It's both subtle and very accurate.

Sorc3r3r

Yeah, playing the ps4 version here and is great, frame rate is locked, a pleasure to see and play.
After years of dips on ps3, this is even more appreciated!

jim2011

I think the whole point people are arguing about is that it runs and looks considerably better on $100 cheaper hardware.

Some are. Others are not.

I'm just staying its a good looking game that runs great based off my first hand impressions of the game I bought.

dark10x

The hyperbole in here over the Wii U version is hilarious. The game looks fine on that system. In fact, from the screenshots it looks better than the XB1 version. PC is clearly the best version with PS4 a bit behind that, but let's not pretend the Wii U version is the ugliest thing ever. It looks great.

In terms of performance, I don't own the game but my friend does (on Wii U) and I've been considering getting it. Based on what I've seen of the game I did notice a couple of frame drops in Havana at certain parts, but otherwise it seemed extremely smooth. And those frame drops I observed did not really seem to be obtrusive and were far from game breaking in any way.

If anyone wants to buy the game on Wii U that version is perfectly good. Your experience will not be ruined.
The numbers don't lie, though. It is visually identical to the PS3/360 versions of the game and runs at a lower average framerate. It is factually the worst version of the game.

It's still playable, I suppose, but there's really no point in spinning it any other way.

Or if you don't have a huge chip on your shoulder about framerates ;)

It's both subtle and very accurate.
OK, fair enough. :p

Seriously, though, I'm disappointed that my old 30 fps frame locking setup isn't working properly with some recent games. Batman easily hits 60 fps with normal settings, but with full Phys-X and such cranked up, it dips a lot. Limiting to 30 fps, however, introduces severe frame ordering problems resulting in a very stuttery image. MSI OSD usually solves that but not with Origins.

mothball

How the fuck does Nintendo manage to release a console in 2012 that runs worse than consoles made in 2006. Graphics and CPU power to price ratio is as low as ever and any modern GPU will run circles round the garbage in the PS360.

But it only uses 30 watts while playing a game! That's what gamers want, right?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The hyperbole in here over the Wii U version is hilarious. The game looks fine on that system..

You're talking rubbish. The WiiU version looks the same as the PS360 version yet struggles along around the 20fps mark and is basically unplayable.
Ubisoft should never have released the WiiU version.

i've only played a bit of the ps4 version, but i could swear that the framerate is either unlocked or hits 60fps at times. i made it to havana and was swimming in the water off the coast (not where all of the boats are, but further south). as i was swimming i spun the camera around so i was viewing my player from the side. the city was in the background. it was noticeable to me that it was silky smooth-like 60fps smooth. the smoothness of my characters animations and the water and background city scrolling by slowly... it definitely did not look like 30fps. and it was definitely an improvement over performance when running around inside the city of havana.

i'm going to decide that i'm crazy and that df would have picked up on this if it happens at times though. just to be sure, i'm going to do it again tonight once i'm home. i generally notice these types of things...

TDLink

The numbers don't lie, though. It is visually identical to the PS3/360 versions of the game and runs at a lower average framerate. It is factually the worst version of the game.

It's still playable, I suppose, but there's really no point in spinning it any other way.

Not trying to spin it. Maybe the Wii U version looks just as good as PS3/360, maybe it's a touch better. Hard to say since I haven't observed the 360 and PS3 versions. Either way, that level of quality is definitely good enough for people who want the experience of this open world Pirate game without buying a PS4 or good gaming PC. And I genuinely do think it looks better than the XBONE version, which appears jaggy as hell (far worse than the softer "vaseline" look).

The framerate dropping extremely slightly in once city extremely rarely doesn't hurt the overall experience. People are acting like the game shouldn't even be played on the Wii U. Maybe if you have another system that could be true. But if Wii U is all you have then the version is still a great game. If you want the game HUDless and/or want Off TV Play I still think the Wii U version can be a preference for some people over PS3/360.

Pitmonkey

I've put over 50 hours in the Wii U version - yes, there are frame rate drops when shit gets hectic with 4 to 5 ships at a time, but to say they need to replay missions is hilariously transparent. It's less than the frame drops I experienced in Assassin's Creed Revelations on the Xbox 360.

As for who handled the Wii U port, the name escapes me, but it was the people at Ubisoft responsible for their mobile stuff who were behind it. Once again, its more than just a factor of hardware performance but also a factor of the developer giving a fuck in the first place.

You're talking rubbish. The WiiU version looks the same as the PS360 version yet struggles along around the 20fps mark and is basically unplayable.
Have you played the wii u version, or read what I or others have posted about how it runs completely fine? Unplayable, give me a break

dark10x

Not trying to spin it. Maybe the Wii U version looks just as good as PS3/360, maybe it's a touch better. Hard to say since I haven't observed the 360 and PS3 versions. Either way, that level of quality is definitely good enough for people who want the experience of this open world Pirate game without buying a PS4 or good gaming PC. And I genuinely do think it looks better than the XBONE version, which appears jaggy as hell (far worse than the softer "vaseline" look).

The framerate dropping extremely slightly in once city extremely rarely doesn't hurt the overall experience. People are acting like the game shouldn't even be played on the Wii U. Maybe if you have another system that could be true. But if Wii U is all you have then the version is still a great game. If you want the game HUDless and/or want Off TV Play I still think the Wii U version can be a preference for some people over PS3/360.
If you only own a Wii U then, yes, it's still worth playing but it IS the worst version of the game.

The PS360 versions actually look a bit nicer and run smoother.

The Xbox One version does suffer from poor image quality but it's still a higher resolution, features all of the "next-gen" features that are missing on Wii U, and runs at a MUCH more consistent framerate. It's flat out superior on XB1. Heck, you could set the XB1 to 720p and obtain an image just like the Wii U version while keeping the benefits.

If you don't mind slightly inferior visuals and vastly inferior performance and want off-TV play then, sure, go for the Wii U version.

It's less than the frame drops I experienced in Assassin's Creed Revelations on the Xbox 360.
Absolutely, but ACR ran terribly on consoles. AC4 is a HUGE improvement on PS3 and 360 with a much smoother overall framerate.

TDLink

Hey look, I don't have a FPS counter out but in my experience, based on what I've viewed on my friend's copy of the Wii U version. The game never dips to 20 FPS. Even in this DF comparison (and they do often overexaggerate frame drops, in general) they don't say it dips that much. I totally admit I have seen a couple of dips, but literally only twice, and only in Havana. Like I said in my last post I don't know if it looks the same as the PS360 version or not, I haven't really paid attention to them. If it does I think all three versions look fine. And I think XB1 version looks worse.

The Wii U version is definitely not "basically unplayable". At all. It's a great game on every system. This is what I mean by hyperbole.

I know it's not just me either as other people in this topic have said their Wii U version of the game has been fine.

MSAA is better for screenshots.

TXAA looks the best in motion though since it's designed specifically for tackling temporal aliasing.

JordanN

Banned
Ass Creed is still cross gen by the way. What's going to happen when the next game requires 10x better CPU/GPU and more memory? No way Wii U can keep up with that.

Enchanted

Banned
I own an Xbox One but outside of Forza and Dead Rising 3, there is much regret.

It's upsetting that the hardware was second placed by a camera with a huge microphone on it and that TV and fantasy football were more important than multiplatform title parity.

I know my Xbox One brethren will say there is no difference or that graphics don't matter (anymore) but it's obviously different and the console is more expensive than its competitor.

cyberheater

Have you played the wii u version, or read what I or others have posted about how it runs completely fine? Unplayable, give me a break

Well I guess you're used to low framerate ports by now aren't you.

TDLink

If you only own a Wii U then, yes, it's still worth playing but it IS the worst version of the game.

The PS360 versions actually look a bit nicer and run smoother.

The Xbox One version does suffer from poor image quality but it's still a higher resolution, features all of the "next-gen" features that are missing on Wii U, and runs at a MUCH more consistent framerate. It's flat out superior on XB1. Heck, you could set the XB1 to 720p and obtain an image just like the Wii U version while keeping the benefits.

If you don't mind slightly inferior visuals and vastly inferior performance and want off-TV play then, sure, go for the Wii U version.

Absolutely, but ACR ran terribly on consoles. AC4 is a HUGE improvement on PS3 and 360 with a much smoother overall framerate.

Honestly, personally, I am probably picking up the PC version whenever it goes on steam sale since I am building a new PC later this month. I just think based on my experience of observing the Wii U version it is perfectly fine. The frame rate dips are far exaggerated and not that frequent or bad. People saying it's unplayable or awful are flat out wrong.

johnieboy

Neo Member
wow er cool! Do you stand in Gamestop and tell people buying console versions of AC4 that?

Dont know if there are any Gamestops in germany. Never seen one ^^

I havent bought a retail game in like 2 years. Keystores or Steam/Origin/Uplay sales are way cheaper then retail even before the launch. ;-)

Most expensive game this year was BF4 + Premium for 53€, others like Batman Arham Origins for example were 17€.

Pjsprojects

This, and between the wife and me we have over 50 hours and I have not seen or experienced anything they speak of. Don't doubt that the PS4 version is better, but I haven't had to redo anu missions on Wii U due to framerate or graphical issue or control issues. Frankly I have started to feel like Digital Foundry can be completely ignored because it has never matched my own experiences on any system.

I agree with this and I am in no way a Nintendo fan, I have this game on pc with settings maxed at 1080p and yes it looks great.
However due to the game pad I have just bought the game on WiiU and although it's not as sharp as my pc version it does look great and up to now no signs of frame rate drop.
Do all these review sites get back handers?

SmokyDave

Ass Creed is still cross gen by the way. What's going to happen when the next game requires 10x better CPU/GPU and more memory? No way Wii U can keep up with that.
It can't keep up now, never mind then.

That said, there won't be a Wii U version to laugh at, they'll just stop making 'em for the platform.

dark10x

Hey look, I don't have a FPS counter out but in my experience, based on what I've viewed on my friend's copy of the Wii U version. The game never dips to 20 FPS. Even in this DF comparison (and they do often overexaggerate frame drops, in general) they don't say it dips that much. I totally admit I have seen a couple of dips, but literally only twice, and only in Havana. Like I said in my last post I don't know if it looks the same as the PS360 version or not, I haven't really paid attention to them. If it does I think all three versions look fine. And I think XB1 version looks worse.

The Wii U version is definitely not "basically unplayable". At all. It's a great game on every system. This is what I mean by hyperbole.

I know it's not just me either as other people in this topic have said their Wii U version of the game has been fine.
Come on, you're admitting ignorance here. For some of us, framerate dips are plain as day and, for those that don't see it, they posted a framerate comparison video demonstrating just how low it gets. Nobody is over-exaggerating anything here...it's right there in video form. The results aren't faked.

On a technical level, it's the worst version of the game. That's a fact. It's possible to look beyond that and enjoy it for some people, clearly, but that doesn't change anything. Recommending the Wii U version if you own other consoles is bad advice.

Honestly, personally, I am probably picking up the PC version whenever it goes on steam sale since I am building a new PC later this month. I just think based on my experience of observing the Wii U version it is perfectly fine. The frame rate dips are far exaggerated and not that frequent or bad. People saying it's unplayable or awful are flat out wrong.
Flat out wrong? Sub-20 fps is unplayable to me and a highly unstable 30 is not enjoyable at all.

Wallach

Far Cry 3 is the poster child for this. Ugh.

I feel like a lot of games get AO wrong, and when they do I find it really distracting and wind up disabling it. Typically its when they try to do it on character models, like Witcher 2, where it comes out as everyone having a black aura of evil.

Replicant

This game looks GODLY on PS4. Thanks for the hardwork, Ubisoft. Next time try to do 1080p out of the gate instead with patches though!

Well done Nintendo on your weak arses next gen system.

I am looking forward to the not so distant future, when 3rd parties really stop to "support" the Wii U with these ports. At least I will not stumble over annoying posts like these over and over again when reading a thread.

It could have been done better on Wii U. But why put much efforts into a version on a system which they will not sell a good number on? Leave that stuff to PS4, Xbox One and PC.

Grimløck;92668762 said:
Will these comparisons be typical throughout the generation?

Yes and no

The ordering of which version is better etc. will remain the same for the most part

PC > PS4 > XB1 > Wii U > = < PS360

But the gap between the PC and the rest will increase and the the gap between the PS4/XB1 and Wii U will increase assuming it even gets the game

I'm curious what happens to the PS4 and XB1 gap because it won't go away but not sure if it will shrink or widen

Pitmonkey

Alright - turns out Ubisoft Quebec is the studio behind the Wii U port.

Just an FYI - take it for what it's worth.

I agree with this and I am in no way a Nintendo fan, I have this game on pc with settings maxed at 1080p and yes it looks great.
However due to the game pad I have just bought the game on WiiU and although it's not as sharp as my pc version it does look great and up to now no signs of frame rate drop.
Do all these review sites get back handers?
So instead of disputing hard technical evidence, your response is that they were bribed to make one particular console look worse? Actually, that it is a wide conspiracy of bribery and deceit?

Have I just gone through the looking glass? Because this can't be real.

Top Bottom