• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA shuts down Visceral, moves Star Wars game to EA Vancouver/others

belvedere

Junior Butler
It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come,

Ah, couldn't just release a cinematic single player experience, need to milk it over a two year period.

Fuck off, EA.

Dead Space...
giphy.gif

394Qm3p.gif

stuminus3

I don't understand why people are worried about the Dead Space series being gone for good now, it's not like EA haven't made games from other studios IPs after closing them. For example I'm sure you all remember the "most excellent" Command & Conquer 4.

ps3ud0

Slow clap - is this really a surprise? Why I just tend to ignore their output. Shit pub, great to work for though...

ps3ud0 8)

daveo42

Banned
Goddammit. Another EA Star Wars game I won't play because it'll be another take on currently lifeless Battlefront series with loot boxes and a battle royale mode.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
We took feedback from players and instead of Star Wars Uncharted we learned they wanted Star Wars slot machine Idolmaster dark souls dress up pubg of duty. Please look forward to it.

Strike

Fuck. I wonder what happened. I guess it's time to update the EA comic. If anything I thought Ghost Games would be more likely to be on the chopping block after the holidays. Good luck to everyone who worked there.

Grisby

:/

It reads like they want to turn it into some GAAS deal. Less SP and more MP. Damn shame.

Thanks Visceral for all the fun I had with the Dead Space series.

The Star Wars game lives somewhat:

The Star Wars game in development at Visceral will be revamped and move to a different studio.

”Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe," EA's Patrick Söderlund said. ”In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design. We will maintain the stunning visuals, authenticity in the Star Wars universe, and focus on bringing a Star Wars story to life. Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore."

This sounds absolutely terrifying. God, this won't be anything like we were promised and it will be a multiplayer-centric experience, won't it? Star Wars Battle Royale here we come? No, goddamn it...

Best of luck to those who have their jobs affected.

On the other hand, listen to that corporate focus tested horrific vision for that Star Wars game. Yuck.

MikeBison

RIP Deadspace :(

For real, you try and give EA the benefit of the doubt and they reinforce the shitty opinion of them like this.

Hope all effected find work quickly. Talented bunch.

bill0527

Translation: We just realized we can't get you hooked on loot crate crack for a game you'll only play once

Single-fucking player AAA games are truly dead.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Respawn needs to get as far away from EA as they can. Jesus Christ.

strafer

Thank you Visceral Games for scaring the crap out of me.

Will replay the Trilogy once again.

Sad to see it end this way.

If I had the money I would help you guys out.

kurahador

As per EA tradition, they're going to turn the Star Wars game into battle royale, join the genre too late and then scrap the game after 2 months.

Sulik2

Add Visceral to the pile. At least they got to make their entire trilogy. Shame about the Star Wars game though.

Top Bottom