• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

NotLiquid

CL0Fa-SWwAArJS0.jpg

H9T2VDg.png

StAidan

Yeah I get the feeling my win streak is gonna be a lot lower than it was in the last two. It'll probably take a while to get settled with a good team

As a member of the losing team in both of the previous Splatfests, I can virtually guarantee it :/ I probably lost about 80% of my games in Team Waterslides, and a good half of those weren't just losses, but total destruction. The skill difference was massive, and the few "good" teams I found never stuck together for long.

I'm thinking if I start playing when Splatfest launches tonight (I don't like staying up that late though), the chance of teaming up with small children will be much lower.

Zing

Banned
Yes. I'm not the greatest player but the Japanese snipers hitting me 2 second after in behind a wall are not fun to play against.
Assuming this is true, you have an equal advantage to splat them for up to 2 seconds after they shoot.

Just look at the pings I have to different destinations (via cloudping.info):

US-East (Virginia) 145 ms
US-West (California) 202 ms
US-West (Oregon) 217 ms
Europe (Ireland) 54 ms
Europe (Frankfurt) 45 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore) 302 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney) 384 ms
Asia Pacific (Japan) 327 ms
South America (Brazil) 247 ms
This gives more fuel to my suspicion that Europe has a very poor connection to Japan for whatever reason. I am in Toronto and my ping to Japan is almost half of yours. This is despite the fact that the distance from me to Tokyo is 500 miles greater than from London to Tokyo.

Similarly, my ping to both locations in Europe is ~60% the ping you get to US-East.

If your stats are representative of Europe, no wonder so many europeans post complaints here.

As for Splatfest, if you want to win matches, you need to choose team hotdog. I am predicting the most lopsided win percentage for hotdog that we have seen in any splatfest to date.

Marie has had it.
In Spla2n she'll pull a Beyoncé and be a solo singer leaving Callie to be the 2nd rate Kelly Rowland.
.. Or vice versa.

Rize_21

posting my results (from France) :

Region Latency
US-East (Virginia) 132 ms
US-West (California) 205 ms
US-West (Oregon) 200 ms
Europe (Ireland) 49 ms
Europe (Frankfurt) 59 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore) 297 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney) 332 ms
Asia Pacific (Japan) 302 ms
South America (Brazil) 272 ms

it's bad isn't it? I hope getting a fiber optic connection will make everything smoother.

Nico_D

And from Finland...

Region Latency

US-East (Virginia) 161 ms
US-West (California) 235 ms
US-West (Oregon) 241 ms
Europe (Ireland) 103 ms
Europe (Frankfurt) 76 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore) 430 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney) 389 ms
Asia Pacific (Japan) 347 ms
South America (Brazil) 275 ms

I rarely, practically never, get disconnected. Japanese players get dropped off sometimes.

StAidan

I'm seriously thinking about just playing around with new and different weapons tomorrow, stuff I haven't spent a lot of time with. Then at least I'm learning new skills while getting my face splatted into oblivion.

Dystify

I'm looking for friends to play Splatoon with, mainly online during EU hours. I usually play ranked (splat zones). Currently hovering around A+ to S rank but I'd play with anyone. NNID: StarStrive

Happy to accept all requests. :)

69wpm

posting my results (from France) :

Region Latency
US-East (Virginia) 132 ms
US-West (California) 205 ms
US-West (Oregon) 200 ms
Europe (Ireland) 49 ms
Europe (Frankfurt) 59 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore) 297 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney) 332 ms
Asia Pacific (Japan) 302 ms
South America (Brazil) 272 ms

it's bad isn't it? I hope getting a fiber optic connection will make everything smoother.

Assuming this is true, you have an equal advantage to splat them for up to 2 seconds after they shoot.

This gives more fuel to my suspicion that Europe has a very poor connection to Japan for whatever reason. I am in Toronto and my ping to Japan is almost half of yours. This is despite the fact that the distance from me to Tokyo is 500 miles greater than from London to Tokyo.

Similarly, my ping to both locations in Europe is ~60% the ping you get to US-East.

If your stats are representative of Europe, no wonder so many europeans post complaints here.

As for Splatfest, if you want to win matches, you need to choose team hotdog. I am predicting the most lopsided win percentage for hotdog that we have seen in any splatfest to date.

And from Finland...

Region Latency

US-East (Virginia) 161 ms
US-West (California) 235 ms
US-West (Oregon) 241 ms
Europe (Ireland) 103 ms
Europe (Frankfurt) 76 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore) 430 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney) 389 ms
Asia Pacific (Japan) 347 ms
South America (Brazil) 275 ms

I rarely, practically never, get disconnected. Japanese players get dropped off sometimes.

Naturally, people from Europe have a slow connection to Japan because it goes through a number of hops. We don't have a direct connection like you have.

(click the image to see the interactive map)

Now, I'm in Eastern Europe and have a fiber connection into the building, that still doesn't mean anything simply because the distance is so big and there is no direct connection. I could have a gigabit connection and still wouldn't make a difference.

This talk of lag is reminding of the really weird time I had where I managed to survive being in the epicenter of an inkstrike. It is almost like the inkstrike too so long to land I had cleaned it up and stayed in my clean ink. It is only a vague memory though.

I'm thinking if I start playing when Splatfest launches tonight (I don't like staying up that late though), the chance of teaming up with small children will be much lower.
That is the thing, once you reach max some players think "my work is done here" or less confident players are like "I might cause more losses". This can result in a skill drain happening over time.

nom

I'm looking for friends to play Splatoon with, mainly online during EU hours. I usually play ranked (splat zones). Currently hovering around A+ to S rank but I'd play with anyone. NNID: StarStrive

Happy to accept all requests. :)

I sent a request! Also if you haven't already you should join us on www.discordapp.com, the invite link is in the second post.

Rize_21

wow, thanks for the detailed informations 69wpm, so we're bound to keep these gaming conditions, aaaah...bummer.
I mean, it's not that bad, but I really wished the problem was only on my end with my internet speed.

Wait? Wall don't count. Dammit!

They count! Judd is such a liar, they greatly help to splat these kidsquids left and right.

Violet_0

Banned
Yes. I'm not the greatest player but the Japanese snipers hitting me 2 second after in behind a wall are not fun to play against.

they hit you 2 seconds earlier
at one point on Azure's stream a day or so ago we double-killed each other. On his screen it looked like I fired after he splatted me. On my screen I was aiming a fully charged shot on the wall he was standing behind, knowing fully well he was there because he was marked by an Echolocator, and I released the shot immediately after he moved around the corner and got splatted myself a second later. That's what it's like playing with a bad connection

noshten

Yeah, maybe. Maybe not. Still, I'd prefer a regional setting just to reduce the pings.

Just look at the pings I have to different destinations (via cloudping.info):

US-East (Virginia) 145 ms
US-West (California) 202 ms
US-West (Oregon) 217 ms
Europe (Ireland) 54 ms
Europe (Frankfurt) 45 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore) 302 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney) 384 ms
Asia Pacific (Japan) 327 ms
South America (Brazil) 247 ms

Playing with people from Europe would reduce the pings by a lot. Of course most people are on a wireless connection, but their pings would probably be still under 100 ms.

Eastern Europe Ping test

US-East (Virginia) 134 ms
US-West (California) 212 ms
US-West (Oregon) 225 ms
Europe (Ireland) 78 ms
Europe (Frankfurt) 50 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore) 315 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney) 385 ms
Asia Pacific (Japan) 334 ms
South America (Brazil) 282 ms

nom

US-East (Virginia) 90 ms
US-West (California) 182 ms
US-West (Oregon) 165 ms
Europe (Ireland) 84 ms
Europe (Frankfurt) 37 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore) 288 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney) 339 ms
Asia Pacific (Japan) 252 ms
South America (Brazil) 230 ms

Results from UK.

Didn't realise there would be such a difference across the US but I guess that makes sense.

So checking my e-mails NOE seem to think my problems are due to the server. Which makes no sense as I thought the server did nothing once the match is started (where my problems begin) and it is all peer to peer form there.

wow, thanks for the detailed informations 69wpm, so we're bound to keep these gaming conditions, aaaah...bummer.
I mean, it's not that bad, but I really wished the problem was only on my end with my internet speed.
Way too look at it is is a faster internet speed just gets you to the next hurdle a little bit faster and while it has an upper limit on latency it can improve the game in other ways.

Violet_0

Banned
just for giggles, here's my ping (Central Europe)

US-East (Virginia) 187 ms
US-West (Oregon) 222 ms
Europe (Ireland) 66 ms
Europe (Frankfurt) 56 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore) 322 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney) 367 ms
Asia Pacific (Japan) 309 ms
South America (Brazil) 270 ms

hey, why is everyone only complaining about my lag

Rize_21

US-West (Oregon) 222 ms
Europe (Ireland) 66 ms
Europe (Frankfurt) 56 ms

Not me.
Here's how I picture you.
Comment-%C3%A9crire-un-ebook-rapidement.jpg

Geg

Hey I don't think yours is all that bad. For what it's worth out of all the gaffers I've experienced lag with I think Kas has the worst. Is he in Europe too or does he just have a really bad connection?

I usually use the Krak-On roller or one of the aerosprays that have limited range. I'm moving behind that wall so that can't get me and I can accomplish whatever I'm currently trying to do. Too many people focus exclusively on the killing part of the game.

atr0cious

In all seriousness I think I'm going to go primarily with the Heavy Splatling for this splatfest.
I hope they put underpass in the rotation so my opening strat can be utilized. We gotta do some squad stuff today with bucket and splatling, see if we can figure out a good synergetic strategy.

Robotguy

US-West (Oregon) 222 ms
Europe (Ireland) 66 ms
Europe (Frankfurt) 56 ms

Cause your Kraken is out of control. :p

But seriously, I don't really have a problem with it. It's not ideal, but it doesn't really hinder my enjoyment of the game at all.

Top Bottom