• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

I haven't decided on which fall anime I'm going to follow as 1) my backlog is gigantic 2) I don't want to get enthusiastic about stuff that's not going to be on either CR or EU/NA Netflix.

So for Ancient Magus Bride, are they going to air those same three eps that were already shown in theaters?

I wish it was about shokugeki :/

also should we watch the OVAs?

Are they not already on Crunchyroll? I watched it a few weeks ago on Crunchyroll.

Edit: It's there. In my opinion, the three episodes are fantastic and really set the feeling of what the show will be like. The music and animation were fantastic.

It isn't necessary as it may spoil somethings since it's a prequel to the main story and you may be confused on some things. However I personally say it does not matter if you watch it before the TV series. The things it spoils isn't really a big deal. It provides some good backstory on why Chise the main character does what she does in the first episode of the TV series.

Tbh it's worth watching just for the OST and visuals in some scenes. The real meat is the TV series which is what the source material is based on.

<adds "take a gander" to his vocabulary">

Outdone yourself this time you have BGBW. This thread doesn't deserve you but it sure needs you. <bow>

If I may add a suggestion. Kino no Tabi probably warrants a mention, especially since some long gone anime viewers might come here just for that.

Edgy.
Did you miss when I was accepted into the classroom of the Elite? I am Icarus

Soaring into my waifus bright boobies

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Osomatsu - 1

Once again, the people behind this show really know how to deliver when it comes to opening episodes.

Shame I saw it after posting the thread, otherwise I could have made the subtitle "A Proper Thread".

So for Ancient Magus Bride, are they going to air those same three eps that were already shown in theaters?

I doubt it because I assume it would give the production staff more time than just to air all the 3 episodes at once.

I mean there are a lot of people who didn't go to the theaters to watch all three episodes of the TV anime. As for me I am gonna watch it again just for the Opening and plus I enjoyed what I saw.

Edit: NM I got confused but yeah they will definitely air those same episodes.

Erheller

Yes, I believe they're going to air the three episodes in the first three weeks of the season. The one in theaters didn't have an OP or ED, though, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

I'd personally recommend waiting several episodes to watch the OVA's (just to get more familiar with the world; the OVA's were meant for manga readers), but there's really nothing stopping you from watching them now. Just a few light spoilers for a few characters, if you care about that sort of thing.

Yes, I believe they're going to air the three episodes in the first three weeks of the season. The one in theaters didn't have an OP or ED, though, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

I'd personally recommend waiting several episodes to watch the OVA's (just to get more familiar with the world; the OVA's were meant for manga readers), but there's really nothing stopping you from watching them now. Just a few light spoilers for a few characters, if you care about that sort of thing.

Well JUNNA from Macross is singing the opening and she's a great singer. We even got a snippet of the song from the preview trailer.

Hopefully the visuals are good though.

Is ancient magus bride Manga far away enough it's worth reading it and then seeing the adaptation?

The manga is 8 vols in so I don't know if that is far enough for you.

It's a monthly manga so it means longer chapters, but slower releases. The anime being 2 cours, it may stop at vol 7 I think, but I am not sure.

The manga is worth reading since the art is fantastic, but it really depends if you prefer visuals than reading.

Edit: I have already seen the first 3 episodes and so far it has been a fantastic adaptation. Although things could change tho.

Erheller

Is ancient magus bride Manga far away enough it's worth reading it and then seeing the adaptation?

The first three episodes covered 4 chapters, so the adaptation is going at a decently slow pace. There are currently 40 chapters (35 are English-translated). I don't think they're going to get through all of the material at that pace, but it's always possible that they cut content to speed things up.

The manga is 8 vols in so I don't know if that is far enough for you.

It's a monthly manga so it means longer chapters, but slower releases. The anime being 2 course it may stop at vol 7 I think, but I am not sure.

The manga is worth reading since the art is fantastic, but it really depends if you prefer visuals than reading.

Edit: I have already seen the first 3 episodes and so far it has been a fantastic adaptation. Although things could change tho.

Noooooooooooo please don't stop at that cliffhanger

The first three episodes covered 4 chapters, so the adaptation is going at a decently slow pace. There are currently 40 chapters (35 are English-translated). I don't think they're going to get through all of the material at that pace, but it's always possible that they cut content to speed things up.

Noooooooooooo please don't stop at that cliffhanger

You know anime and their love for cliffhangers. Lol it would be a good way to end.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gamers! 12 [END]

Well that was a fun ending to the show even though it was a painful to watch in some parts. At least Amano-kun got through to Aguri in the end and left off on a good message there. Reaction faces were the best in this episode though. I am going to miss this band of idiots and their misunderstandings.

Also, holy moly, the fan service in this episode. They kind went all out this episode.
It might not be anime of the year but Tendou is girl of the year.

I'd like another season but I never hope for that with anime because it never happens and even when it does nothing ever finishes when it's a LN adaptation.

It might not be anime of the year but Tendou is girl of the year.

I'd like another season but I never hope for that with anime because it never happens and even when it does nothing ever finishes when it's a LN adaptation.

Konosuba and Gamers have been great. And if Konosuba can get a second season then Gamers can too. Won't hold my breath but it would be nice. Tendou is pretty great. But Megumi is gonna be Best Girl again. Tendou is pretty awesome, though. :D

Ascheroth

Garo 15

I nominate grandpa for best character. Also, literally building Ironman, amazing.
I don't know what it is, but I've been enjoying these last few episodes more than the first half - and it's not like I didn't like that one.

Garo 15

I nominate grandpa for best character. Also, literally building Ironman, amazing.
I don't know what it is, but I've been enjoying these last few episodes more than the first half - and it's not like I didn't like that one.

The second half is stronger overall, primarily because it’s where the character development work pays off.

Believe in Aqua.

7a805dad91a4f59d0c677f89a07f1bef.gif

godisntheradio

Neo Member
Nice OP, i'm interested in 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season, Code:Realize: Sousei no Himegimi, Just Because, Himouto! Umaru-chan R and Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara. Shame that 2/5 will air on amazon strike, so i probably won't watch it.

I think i'll take this opportunity to finish:
- Natsu no Arashi;
- Fafner in the Azure (i started this around this time last year, i'm on ep 21, i should finish it, i must);
- Eccentric Family S1;

If college isn't too tough on me maybe i'll finally start code geass

DNAbro

For Fall anime that I'm watching/trying out it's

Osomatsu S2
Black Clover
Food Wars S3 once I finish S2.
maybe Magus Bride

I'll see what other people say is good to see if I add anything. Except if you say Umaru or Love Live is good.

petran79

Banned
What is this....
Waiting for the new Studio Trigger shows, Masaki Yuusa's new TV project and Project D. Probably for 2018....

Anyway decided to watch some series I ignored for various reasons, waiting for hype to settle:

Code Geass R1&R2:

Design by CLAMP! I thought it would be something with the seriousness of X-TV or X the Movie with the addition of mecha. Instead I got the complete opposite with the addition of mecha. I'll remember that series for ever, despite not lifting it to classic status. Definitely cult status though.

Vandread:

Back when there was Gonzo, even shows with mediocre premise could turn good. Not all of course, but chances were much higher than today. I had to watch it because I had wasted my time with Stellvia back then. One of the good space opera shows. Surprisingly, fanservice was tamer than in Code Geass. And a granny for ship captain is not something you see very often.

Fafner:

Thanks to hosannainexcelsis for the recommendation. The issue with Fafner is all these breaks among seasons (Exodus) and the one between the first series (Aggressor, 2004) and the movie (Heaven and Earth, 2010). Difficult to keep a viewers interest for so long. Not only that. It features many characters and relations, plot that spawns from local to global and metaphysical, many events that are not explained fully etc
Impossible to keep up with it. In a sense I was lucky I had ignored the series for so long. Watching all episodes in one go made this perhaps the best and most epic modern mecha. 2004 series has many similarities with Rahxephon and Evangelion, even surpassing them in some levels. Exodus on the other hand focuses more on action and adventure. Fights are much better executed in the new series, on par with the 2010 movie. I think I liked the first series more due to better characterisation. Second series you get new characters, while the older ones are mostly not given much screen time or dont have much in common with the first series. As if there wasnt much room for more development. Understandable, since just like in Zeta Gundam, it would put the newer characters aside.
Watching it in one go is the best way to experience the series, but with all the breaks, no wonder it did not catch more attention. As opposed to the countless Gundam rehashes.
A pity. Probably my favorite modern mecha series as a whole.

Watched also the OVA of Madox and the 1996 Birdy OVA. Both were funny rides with amazing animation. As for the newer Birdy series that lacks in animation (soulless A1) but has better plot, I think I'll skip it and wait for the 20 volume manga to be finished, since it offers more plot than 25 episodes.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Action Heroine Cheer Fruits - End

vRlpxBPl.png

Aside from some minor hiccups when the shows decided to pander to that particular audience this was a fun and enjoyable show. Not really breaking any new ground (you can pretty much guess how the plot is going to proceed), but at least the setting (local hero stage shows) isn't something you see that much of.

Also props for having a wheelchair bound character in an inclusive role.

daveo42

Banned
Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond is my highlight this season. I'll probably check out Children of the Whales too. Not sure what else other than catching up on some older anime. Really digging Index so far so I'll keep watching that.

Someone could have stopped this.

I blame animeGAF for not outright banning idol shows to begin with.

I'll give it shot, though I'm not super big on 3D CG animation shows.

Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond is my highlight this season. I'll probably check out Children of the Whales too. Not sure what else other than catching up on some older anime. Really digging Index so far so I'll keep watching that.

I blame animeGAF for not outright banning idol shows to begin with.

I'll give it shot, though I'm not super big on 3D CG animation shows.

I suggest giving Magus Bride a chance.

Yeah. I recommend people to check out The Ancient Magus' Bride. The three episodes they showed so far are exactly what anime needs.

Fafner:

Thanks to hosannainexcelsis for the recommendation. The issue with Fafner is all these breaks among seasons (Exodus) and the one between the first series (Aggressor, 2004) and the movie (Heaven and Earth, 2010). Difficult to keep a viewers interest for so long. Not only that. It features many characters and relations, plot that spawns from local to global and metaphysical, many events that are not explained fully etc

And to top it off, it looks like we're potentially looking at another several years break before The Beyond movie.

Seems like this season is all about sequels for me. Not a whole lot of new shows on my watch list, but that’s ok cause OSOMTASU IS BACK BABY!!

phaze

As for the newer Birdy series that lacks in animation (soulless A1) but has better plot, I think I'll skip it and wait for the 20 volume manga to be finished, since it offers more plot than 25 episodes.

Wait what.

I can understand someone dislikes how "webgen" and loose with character models last Birdy was but this is still underselling it by gargantuan amount. If you haven't seen it and base it off on the opinions of others than I urge you to reconsider, there's lots of great animation in there.

Eusis

Osomatsu-san

Crazy. I semi-binge on the series, get the last episode plus special watched today... and find out the second season starts TODAY after searching online (but before watching the special so it wouldn't show as next in my queue.) Started it and like the call back to the first episode that was pulled.

Sterok

UQ Holder 1

Really pushing that Negima sequel angle, especially with the remixed Negima op. Not sure it really works since most of the relevant stuff was never animated. And the manga itself basically had a non-ending, so that doesn't help good will. As for the show itself, a meh start. It's an interesting premise, making the two current leads immortal and sending them on a road trip, but Touta himself was just okay. Nothing worth hating, but not a particularly interesting protagonist. Yukihime is a little better if you know Evangeline, but if you do you've probably read the UQ Holder manga and know where all this is going. Lots of blood and gore, which they can get away with since they're immortal. An okay start overall, but the direction isn't particularly exciting.

Top Bottom