• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Everything I'm seeing looks great for mobile devices and tablets but as far as desktops are concerned most of that UI seems at first glance to be really obnoxious looking and annoying. why the shit do I need icons that are about 100 times or more larger than my mouse pointer?

Don't worry, in win 9 you'll get a large rectangular mouse pointer.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
WHOA that's not a TV!

yPmlK.jpg

clav

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/29/microsoft-windows-8-consumer-preview-detailed-impressions/
The keyboard shortcuts

Don't worry, mouse-hating power users: Microsoft hasn't forgotten about you. Windows 8 features a suite of keyboard shortcuts -- some familiar, others that make the Windows logo key a little more powerful than before. There are hundreds of the things, but here are a few notable highlights.
  • Windows + arrow keys - This combination, with the left and right arrow keys, moves Metro-style apps into their left or right docked positions. For Windows desktop apps, they do what they do in Windows 7 -- popping over to the left or right half of the screen. Up maximizes, down minimizes.
  • Windows + C - This brings up the charms bar. You can also replace C with I, K or H to pop straight to the Settings, Connect or Share charms.
  • Windows + Tab - This toggles between applications, and in this case the Windows desktop is counted as an application. This differs between the classic Alt + Tab, which still works here, tabbing between each individual window on the desktop and the Metro-style apps.
  • Windows + PrtScn - This captures a PNG of the current screen and saves it in your Pictures directory. As you can imagine, we used this one quite a bit.

operon

I'm installing from inside windows 7 cause I'm trying that virtual hard drive trick, but its wanting me to unistall my antivirus because it thinks I want to install on top of 7, how can I get to do a custom install

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wow Engadget's liveblog setup is really good, pretty brilliant how the photos and text are 2 different timelines. So annoying on The Verge to be reading a line and have a big block image appear over it.

10:41 am He's plugging in another USB2 drive, and adding it to the pool with one click. "Different sizes, speeds, it doesn't matter, it's all like one disk."

10:41 am "I've got an array of hard drives, it's a 12TB physical array, but I'm capturing more than that. So I've got Windows acting like a 50TB drive, I can just add drives to that array using something called Storage Spaces."

The fuck, that sounds really exciting.

clav

Does anyone know how long this is good until? Can you upgrade to this or do you have to lose everything and do a clean install?

If the rumors are true, you can upgrade in between builds without losing anything.

Even downgrading among Windows 8 builds supposedly works.

edit: Oh, if you're talking about Windows 7 to Windows 8, I don't know.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Will my phone work with the metro player or will I need to also install zune?

Side note: I really wish MS would unveil a new client to work with WP.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What I said applies to switching between Windows 8 builds.

I would dual-boot if you're that concerned unless you have a backup server.

Of course if you have an encrypted Windows 7 boot like I do, the Win 8 consumer preview will totally fuck it up. So, beware.

here is the preview conclusion from Verge

Overall Windows 8 Consumer Preview feels like a much more finished product that its Developer Preview equivalent. Microsoft has clearly taken steps to address some criticism over its Metro fullscreen approach for PC users, and its various gestures make it easy to navigate the operating system regardless of touch. The Windows Store will provide the best look at Windows 8 and its app offerings and will be the key component to Microsoft’s success or failure with its "Windows reimagined" approach. The simplification throughout its app strategy, and Microsoft’s message to developers is fresh, and the Metro approach across three screens (Xbox, Windows Phone, Windows) is starting to become a reality rather than a promise. Microsoft now needs the full backing of its Windows developer community to bring Windows 8 to market. If what we have seen in the Consumer Preview is anything to go by then Microsoft’s Metro apps have a chance to redefine Windows as a whole. Microsoft has laid down its work and tools, and as Ballmer would say, it’s over to developers, developers, developers now.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/29/2832640/windows-8-consumer-preview-pictures-video

Who to believe? Engadget or Verge? ;)

Dmented

Banned
What happens when I click install? Will it then give me a hard drive selection screen? Installing to VHD from Win 7 btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom