• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

mik83kuu

Banned
Yea sorry for all the civil war casualties so far :-D

cute-cat-pictures-playing-dead.jpg

Kritz

Banned
Tsk tsk, those who knew what it was would laugh, those who didn't would take it at face value.

(Game of Thrones Discussion)
And yet you never considered those who are currently invested in the series, who have not seen that event for themselves.

Yes, those people exist. Yes, some of those people browse this thread.

And you'd think some of my fellow knee jerk reactionaries would be a bit more considerate of the content that they quote. (Unicorn, lookin' at you)

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
And yet you never considered those who are currently invested in the series, who have not seen that event for themselves.

And you'd think some of my fellow knee jerk reactionaries would be a bit more considerate of the content that they quote. (Unicorn, lookin' at you)
Not that you're wrong by any means, but it's like you say,
what I posted is only a spoiler if you know what it is as it was quoted as "that better not be a spoiler". Not because of the pic as the pic looks like generic person#1. That pic was not very detailed at all. At best it could be confused with any fantasy or mid evil movie/show. There was nothing specific in what I posted.
that aside, where does The War of GafProper and RebelGaf stand?

Orgun

On holiday, a week in the middle of no where, I heard gunshots from the woods on the other side of a field. My first thought was to look around for the high ground and find a good vantage point, thanks DayZ :)

Can't wait to jump back into this after I catch up with E3 vids.

NOTICE: ALL TENTS ARE GONE FROM THE SERVER. THIS IS A KNOWN BUG AND THEY MAY RE-APPEAR ON A LATER SERVER RESTART.

I bet NiX and Abusori are just tired :)

I don't like using sarcasm over the internet, so I just go full on serious mode to make the joke.

I know this is all a joke. ;)

Anton668

lets see.....
season 2 just finished.
that was from season 1.
as per pretty much every damn tv thread on GAF, once it airs on east coast its fair game.
vader was lukes father
bruce willis was dead the whole movie
the butler did it
etc...

Anton668

so i havent played this since 1.6. what do i need to dl to be able to game again?

the 1.7 update
maybe the latest OA beta patch
and a in game tshirt for your character that reads
"Gibs! Ya trigger happy fuck! Dont shoot me!!!"
make sure its in big bright letters on both sides of the shirt.
note: this in no way will insure you not getting shot

WedgeX

Banned
the 1.7 update
maybe the latest OA beta patch
and a in game tshirt for your character that reads
"Gibs! Ya trigger happy fuck! Dont shoot me!!!"
make sure its in big bright letters on both sides of the shirt.
note: this in no way will insure you not getting shot

So true.

Stuck at NW airfield with only 1000 blood. I have everything but matches to cook food, and apparently matches only spawn in residential houses not military :/

dionysus

Yaldog
Server disconnects happen alot? Just got disconnected surrounded by zombies sneaking up to a barn.

So far after 2 hours of being alive I have found flares and helicopter parts, exactly what i needed!

Gibonez sounds like an asshole... Worst part is the smiley faces he's used, he really seems to enjoy killing you guys. My favorite Dayz video youtube uploader guy hasn't released a new episode in 5 days. I need my fix darnit.

sophora

Did a couple runs on servers today since I got Day Z working last night, too scared to play at night.

Man this game, usually I pulled the trigger in doors when I had to, most of the time I was sneaking around. Until I found my crossbow with a few steel bolts, that thing was amazing. It wasn't till a really badly overrun harbor town that I fell, was mobbed with too many and they too me down before I could get away

mik83kuu

Banned
Gibonez sounds like an asshole... Worst part is the smiley faces he's used, he really seems to enjoy killing you guys. My favorite Dayz video youtube uploader guy hasn't released a new episode in 5 days. I need my fix darnit.

Gibz is an awesome fella and if you ask me, I would never change him. This game gets hella easy if we just stroll around town with the number of dudes we had yesterday (over a dozen gaffers) so we need someone to keep things interesting.

Gibz is an awesome fella and if you ask me, I would never change him. This game gets hella easy if we just stroll around town with the number of dudes we had yesterday (over a dozen gaffers) so we need someone to keep things interesting.
Damn, a dozen people? wish I could play with GAF.

Loxley

I've seen quite a few recent DayZ video uploaders on YouTube say that lately the game has become overrun with people who's sole goal is to seek out other players and murder them. Have any of you noticed this? I'm interested in giving DayZ a shot, but I'd be less inclined to if there are a ton of people treating it like a free-for-all Deathmatch with zombies. I totally get that when you give players complete freedom there will always be assholes, but still, it sounds like it's become a bigger problem recently.

Ooccoo

I've seen quite a few recent DayZ video uploaders on YouTube say that lately the game has become overrun with people who's sole goal is to seek out other players and murder them. Have any of you noticed this? I'm interested in giving DayZ a shot, but I'd be less inclined to if there are a ton of people treating it like a free-for-all Deathmatch with zombies. I totally get that when you give players complete freedom there will always be assholes, but still, it sounds like it's become a bigger problem recently.
Popularity = more assholes playing. Especially in a game where permadeath means your character has real value. It's sad but you can't really change it. The only way is to have consequences that matter when you kill another survivor, thus why the bandit skin was a good way to separate the cool guys from the bad guys. While I agree it wasn't perfect, the way it is now makes it so it's really easy to murder and get away with it.

Speculating on the changes to a game you don't play is like trying to ice-skate uphill.

DTKT

Popularity = more assholes playing. Especially in a game where permadeath means your character has real value. It's sad but you can't really change it. The only way is to have consequences that matter when you kill another survivor, thus why the bandit skin was a good way to separate the cool guys from the bad guys. While I agree it wasn't perfect, the way it is now makes it so it's really easy to murder and get away with it.

The bandit skin didn't work. What we need are "safe-zones" or some kind of faction system. Or, Rocket could implement some kind of character progression system. You might feel more attached to your character and it might reduce the "run and gun" players.

The bandit skin didn't work. What we need are "safe-zones" or some kind of faction system. Or, Rocket could implement some kind of character progression system. You might feel more attached to your character and it might reduce the "run and gun" players.

No and no. Terrible ideas.

The so called "bandit problem' was already temporarily fixed, all that needs to happen is to bring back the Z numbers from the bugged patch but maintain the slower respawn rates.

Enron

Banned

Yes. Ever since they removed the bandit skin the game has been overwhelmed with PKers.

Yes. Ever since they removed the bandit skin the game has been overwhelmed with PKers.

That's just paranoia skewing your perception.

When there was a bandit skin, people's perception was that there were tons of bandits, even though the numbers on the site proved that the ratio was largely in favor of survivors. Now that there is no visual distinction, the same psychological effect that was inflating the perceived banditry is now on over drive.

There's been an increase in the number of bandits but it's still down around only 14% of the player population.

Enron

Banned

When there was a bandit skin, people's perception was that there were tons of bandits, even though the numbers on the site proved that the ratio was largely in favor of survivors. Now that there is no visual distinction, the same psychological effect that was inflating the perceived banditry is now on over drive.

There's been an increase in the number of bandits but it's still down around only 14% of the player population.

Uh huh. All I know is, that pre-skin removal I would join random servers and partner with random people i encountered. Post-skin removal? Get shot to death on sight.

Enron

Banned
More like bandit players whined and bitched and moaned on the boards about how all the survivors were ganging up on them.

But it was a flawed system. Kill bandits to protect yourself from bandits? Guess what, kill enough of them and bam! You are a bandit!

Errr. No.

When seeing a survivor pre-patch, they were either bandits at heart or true survivors. 1/2 was a survivor. if we do an equal ratio. Bandits were 1/1 player killers. Mistake or not they are the kind of people that survived a player encounter. They have killed and since they lost their ability to normally coop they have to be removed (unless they start by giving you a friendly hand)

Post patch 1/3 is a survivor, in equal ratios. Because now the bandits were added to the equation. Considering that it was hard to trust pre-patch, post-patch just made it private-party like.

Well, if killing bandits made you a bandit that's a pretty flawed system. It's like making you a zombie for killing zombies.

I like the uniqueness to the game, but sometimes it needs some gameplay-based constraints to work, like timer after alt+f4/on disconnect. Because it's lame metagaming. Same applies to the bandit skin in a way. Imagine if on Dark Souls /Demons Souls, you got a neutral Invasion soul color, and both coop and PVP people could join you. In fact, there would be no PVP or coop, just merge on another player world. It's an understandable paranoia for a system that cannot translate well into gaming... as of today.

Enron

Banned
So, guess how many deaths today out of 4 were at the hands of zombies?

lol @ whoever claims it is just "paranoia".

Literally every survivor I saw today has shot at me.

:(

Atomski

So, guess how many deaths today out of 4 were at the hands of zombies?

lol @ whoever claims it is just "paranoia".

Literally every survivor I saw today has shot at me.

:(
I feel like its 50/50 for me. I still meet plenty of nice surivors.

Top Bottom