• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think about the goty awards, do you care for them?

Ganondorfo

For example do you look at your uncharted 2 copy and think "damn that game got a lot of goty awards, I love this game even more now"

Or do you try to impress your friends who haver never played a random goty winner, by recommending it to them?

kamspy

Gaming needs a unified GOTY like the oscars.

I don't think we've truly seen meltdowns until we see what comes after the first real industry wide GOTY.

kamspy said:

I don't think we've truly seen meltdowns until we see what comes after the first real industry wide GOTY.

There are awards like this. The Game Developers Choice awards. Given out by a jury of their peers.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Ganondorfo said:
For example do you look at your uncharted 2 copy and think "damn that game got a lot of goty awards, I love this game even more now"

Or do you try to impress your friends who haver never played a random goty winner, by recommending it to them?
This is harsh but, I don't give a flying fuck about GOTY.

I play games that I like, irregardless if others think it's the best thing ever produced by nerds stuck behind some computers for a few years.

The title, the awards, they are absolutely worthless.

kamspy

OldJadedGamer said:
There are awards like this. The Game Developers Choice awards. Given out by a jury of their peers.

I know, but still doesn't seem as unified as it could be.

ehh, I find it only interesting to see what stance a website try to take with them

Do they make the safe picks for games we think will be selected, do they try to pick games that people didn't hear about that much to give them extra attention, or do they try to be non-conformist and pick games which will cause discussion.

That's all that's interesting to me about them.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I think that, for the most part, they are too loaded with titles from the fall than from the rest of the year. Gamers, and these outlets, can only see as far as the last game they play.

Zertez

kamspy said:

Even in the case with the Oscars, there is other award shows like the Golden Globes and SAG. As long as someone can make money off an award feature, they will continue to put out as many as possible.

Calcaneus

I don't feel too strongly either way, but one thing I do feel strongly about is that awards should be kept away from game boxart.

I don't care much about them, but I am interested in seeing what people and sites/magazines pick and why they chose those games.

My feelings about Uncharted have not changed with the GOTY awards it has received.

legend166

I haven't paid any attention to them because I have no reason to actually respect the opinion of people giving out the awards.

The only one I know about is GameTrailers giving it to Demon's Souls because someone made a thread about it.

I think they're dumb and make people who follow them act even worse. Someone posts a goty list, then someone is angry because they disagree. It's bad enough to really care, but if you're going into just disagree, what are you trying to accomplish? it's like people just want to make sure they like the right games. Yet if a source doesn't choose the game they did, then they get angry at that source. Even worse, praising some choices and getting angry about others fromt he same source. What? this is so backwards.

bounchfx

cosmicblizzard said:
Eh, they're okay. More unknown games need to get the award. I was shocked when Okami got it from IGN.

It shouldn't have anything to do with how 'known' a game is. GOTY should be for the cream of the crop, regardless of advertising/exposure. Though obviously different sites handle it in various ways. but yes, I'm very glad to see Okami and Demon Souls get more attention.

I know what you mean though,It's just a shame when 'GOTY' seems to go to the game with the biggest budget, and not necessarily the funnest/most well made

NeoUltima

Goty awards just give me something to bide my time over. It's not like I base my personal goty on what other people say theirs are.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I brag to all my friends at recess that I got the best game of the year instead of Madden 2010, making me the most popular kid in school

They're interesting. And at this time of the year with no new info, its something to discuss, and i use them to see if there are some games i missed that are worthwhile

They're a fun discussion piece and it's interesting to see different people's perspective on the same things you've played. I enjoy the top X of the year lists moreso than the actual GOTY awards mostly because you get whoever's insight on why they enjoyed these games when you may not have had time to play some or had a different experience. Well, most of that is true until people start getting upset and taking things unnecessarily seriously.

Considering that my tastes and that of the "enthusiast press" couldn't be further apart, I don't even bother clicking GAF threads discussing them these days, knowing that at best I'll laugh at them.

The irony being that I not only read this thread, but also replied to it. Oh it burns.

Really, from what I have seen, these GOTY awards (especially the award shows) are essentially a hype-advertising-"editorial" hybrid of some sort, anyway.

swerve

It's interesting to see what the hobbyists and bloggers like, and they occasionally remind me of a game I forgot to pick up, but they mean very little in terms of my personal opinion, or what I think of the games I've enjoyed.

So, basically, 'meh' with a hint of 'oh, yeah, I should pick that up'.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Dragona Akehi said:
Really, from what I have seen, these GOTY awards (especially the award shows) are essentially a hype-advertising-"editorial" hybrid of some sort, anyway.
Pretty much

I never cared for em either, mostly for the above fact and somehow only games released in the last third of the year are significant. Exception is when MGS4 was chosen by GAF and I spammed it all over the forums that year. But that was the only case

G-Fex

Fimbulvetr said:
No.

It's good to see awesome games get appreciated but ultimately I couldn't care less.

Agreed.

Same reason, I don't care about your top ten lists and all that.

Teetris said:
Pretty much

I never cared for em either, mostly for the above fact and somehow only games released in the last third of the year are significant. Exception is when MGS4 was chosen by GAF and I spammed it all over the forums that year. But that was the only case

Well, this year the planets aligned and somehow my personal GoTY has won quite a few accolades: Demon's Souls. I expect another century to go by before this happens again.

To be honest, most of what would make up my GoTY lists would not even be considered as nominations.

freddy

Banned
I think they should have Game of the Day awards so more publishers have something to put on the back of the sequels' box.

Game outlets have real short memories, and only care about big franchises. Same thing happened in 2008. A bunch of RPG awards were given to Fallout 3 and FableII, while Persona 4 was completely ignored.

HUELEN10

Not trolling here, but personally I don't care much about GOTYs in the ends. It may sound egotistical, but I know that my personal choice would never win any awards, not official ones, not ones on GAF, not ones by the press. I guess my tastes, like some others of you here in this thread, could be considered weird by some. Since it is all opinion anyways, it doesn't matter anyways. Still, it would be nice to see like your personal GOTY match the, for lack of a better term, "popular" GOTY, but it's cool.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The same two or three games get their dick sucked by like 50 websites for a whole month because there isn't anything else for them to write about.

Personally, I don't care.
Especially recently, when it seems a majority of the GotY awards go to whatever giant budget shooter came out in the year.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I find them interesting to see which way the editorial/advertising wind is currently blowing but seeing as I tend to enjoy many games that never make the lists I don't really put much stock into them.

Virro

HUELEN10 said:
Not trolling here, but personally I don't care much about GOTYs in the ends. It may sound egotistical, but I know that my personal choice would never win any awards, not official ones, not ones on GAF, not ones by the press. I guess my tastes, like some others of you here in this thread, could be considered weird by some. Since it is all opinion anyways, it doesn't matter anyways. Still, it would be nice to see like your personal GOTY match the, for lack of a better term, "popular" GOTY, but it's cool.

Out with it then, what's your pick?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dance In My Blood said:
The same two or three games get their dick sucked by like 50 websites for a whole month because there isn't anything else for them to write about.
I think this pretty much sums it up. Seldom is it the best game, but just the ones with the most hype. Normally extremely console centric with little to no variety between the charts. Just for hits and fanboy forum wars.

I think last year was a good example of why they are bad. The big winners were Fallout 3, LBP, MGS4, GTAIV, Fable II, and a few other things. Games that produce allot of "meh" now. And it looks like this year will be no different. One or two nicely well written ones recognizing feats while most writing like a 12 year old kid, "OMG Game is awesome, Like best ever"

And I believe the biggest fault to it all is that the awards are done at the end of the year. Shit just needs time to sit. Not to mention there is not a single creditable person who can accurately make a decisions in the given time frame of just one year. Far too many titles. Not to mention, PC titles can change drastically over the course of a year. Even more in the next year.

Of course, I can't say my life will be effect over the given nature of their decisions :lol

HUELEN10

Virro said:
Out with it then, what's your pick?
Excitebike: World Rally

Not only is it my GOTY, but it is definitely in the list of top 25 of the decade easily. It's been years since a game has come out that's been as genuinely simple, fun, and addicting as this. It's everything I look for in a game, and it shines bright. It's just what the industry needs as far as "retro-remakes/sequels" are concerned. This is what I want.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I dig the Giantbomb awards.
  • Numerous joke awards
  • Personal GOTY
  • Giantbomb GOTY

Top Bottom