• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Gamestop warring with Microsoft?

zeroOman

My brothers fiance went into our local store here in Ireland to preorder it, and was told blatant lies and told straight out to pre order ps4 instead. He told her that games were download only on the Xbox one, and that no previous gamertags could be downloaded and that it had no multiplayer.

Now my brothers fiance doesn't game, she doesn't watch e3 or anything like that so she genuinely believed the guy, ended up walking out of the store. We have to go in again soon enough to preorder the Xbox one, and I'm going to enjoy debunking everything the clerk says.

I'm probably going to get shit because of the fact I actually like the Xbox One, and while I dislike the DRM features, I don't understand this Huge debacle over it. Any time I've bought a second hand game and talked about it on GAF or other forums I'm told to buy the game retail so the developer gets money. And now that Microsoft actually make it so that in the select places you sell it back w/e the developer does get money, the entirety of the World explodes in outrage. Not to mention that considering its mostly up to the publishers the level of DRM placed on games Microsoft can't be entirely to blame. That being said, I seriously doubt sony will be able to deliver everything they said about lack of DRM.
he is half right..... in xbonx u don't need u cd any more.... it's all in the CLOUD .....

after 4 month no one care about the sales... the first 4 or 5 month are the most imported one.... and not every one can buy game at full price

Zaventem

same here seriously. not a troll or anything. i loved my xbox 360 when i had it. as i love gaming in general and i do not favor any system.

but i do want the xbox one to fail. because this DRM shit needs to go away. specially that 24 hours check.

if MS remove them both. then i hope the Xbox one to do good sales like the PS4 because competition is always good for us

Same here. Even if they do drop it, i already know where their stance is. it's sad i feel like i'm letting something go but it's for the best.

Anyone notice in every single poll they're getting out numbered? I hope it reflects in real life as well.

amazon.png

My brothers fiance went into our local store here in Ireland to preorder it, and was told blatant lies and told straight out to pre order ps4 instead. He told her that games were download only on the Xbox one, and that no previous gamertags could be downloaded and that it had no multiplayer.

Now my brothers fiance doesn't game, she doesn't watch e3 or anything like that so she genuinely believed the guy, ended up walking out of the store. We have to go in again soon enough to preorder the Xbox one, and I'm going to enjoy debunking everything the clerk says.

I'm probably going to get shit because of the fact I actually like the Xbox One, and while I dislike the DRM features, I don't understand this Huge debacle over it. Any time I've bought a second hand game and talked about it on GAF or other forums I'm told to buy the game retail so the developer gets money. And now that Microsoft actually make it so that in the select places you sell it back w/e the developer does get money, the entirety of the World explodes in outrage. Not to mention that considering its mostly up to the publishers the level of DRM placed on games Microsoft can't be entirely to blame. That being said, I seriously doubt sony will be able to deliver everything they said about lack of DRM.

That's fucked up, not fair that the GS employees do that.

he is half right..... in xbonx u don't need u cd any more.... it's all in the CLOUD .....
Well, no in this case he's 100% wrong for retail game. Not sure why the clerk feels the need to lie, just inform the customer of the DRM and let him or her decide if they're comfortable with that. It's a smart thing for a business to do anyways, as it cuts down on returns.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62959551&postcount=1151

I posted this yesterday in the "then buy a 360 thread" e.g. "Don Mattrick: "Fortunately" consumers without a connection can buy Xbox 360":

Went into gamestop today. Sales guy is telling everyone who walks into the store about Don's comments.
Sony couldn't have better PR people than the MS execs right now.
At least at my local gamestop they seem to be telling everybody not to buy the Xbone.

The manager at my local GS told me that there DM has already given the word to push PS4 over Xbone.

When asking people to preorder only ask if they want to do so for PS4.
When someone comes in wanting to preorder XBone, Tell them how PS4 is better and so on.

Gorillaz

Same here. Even if they do drop it, i already know where their stance is. it's sad i feel like i'm letting something go but it's for the best.

Anyone notice in every single poll they're getting out numbered? I hope it reflects in real life as well.

amazon.png

They didn't even put Master Chief in that pic damn

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not to mention that considering its mostly up to the publishers the level of DRM placed on games Microsoft can't be entirely to blame.

I sympathise with your story about GameStop, because I was In a similar situation with a staff member going on about privacy issues and kinect. However the above is not true. The drm is universal and prescribed by Microsoft. The only choice pubs have is whether to enable trades through Microsoft's system or not. They cannot opt out of drm controls, their only choice is what those controls mean for their games and the secondary market - a total block, or MS restricted trading.

mr2t

Banned
I talked to the manager I worked for many years ago after the Xbox conference Monday. He seemed pretty upset about it. He thought Sony might do the same thing as well though. I might stop by and get TLoU tomorrow and see whats going on.

Teletraan1

Banned
Dont underestimate the power of 'comfort'. People often stay loyal to a brand(speaking beyond just gaming here) because its what they are used to and what they know.

But when you change all the rules and are starting with a clean slate sans Gamertag and achievements then that comfort is gonzo. The only comfort will be to the uninformed...at first.

Seanspeed

Banned
Don't underestimate people moving either. SNES to PSX and to a lesser degree PS2 to 360.

Gamers absolutely do shift when the manufacturers make big mistakes. It always seems unlikely.... right up until it happens.
I'm not(I do it plenty). I just dont think the Xbox One is going to crash and burn like everyone thinks and that plenty of these 'Call of Duty 360 gamers' will stay onboard because 'its Xbox'.

but buying a new game at gamestop gets people into the shop, where they may potentially buy something else that has a higher profit margin
Thats a good point.

B.O.O.M

Took my kids to Gamestop to spend their allowance.

My kid loves asking questions. He saw the video of how to share games on PS4. I loved his response. "Well dah, of course that's how we share games. That was stupid."

I was kind of embarrassed but the nice rep said you can't do that on Xbox One. That's why it's a big deal. He then looked at me and said dad, I want an PS4 for Christmas.

I just laughed as we have already on pre-order.

:)

lol this would make a great commercial

quest

Not Banned from OT
Someone mentioned in another thread that one of the perks working at gamestop is taking home used games. Yes sometimes they take home new according to the person. But since you can't do that on the Xbone it might really piss them off and get them to push the PS4 even more.

Yeah everyone is at war with MS right now it seems. Would not be surprised if big retailers start hand outs to help cover their asses come launch day. Might even make people read a waver and have to sign it to avoid pissed off returns.

The manager at my local GS told me that there DM has already given the word to push PS4 over Xbone.

When asking people to preorder only ask if they want to do so for PS4.
When someone comes in wanting to preorder XBone, Tell them how PS4 is better and so on.

Wait, so they're actively dissuading people from buying it? Oh jeez, MS can't be happy about this.

Is it even possible for them to mend the relationship before launch?

As I've mentioned in several threads already, it should also be remembered that it's company policy to allow employees to borrow games from the store. It's limited to used games, but that doesn't stop them from borrowing new games as well. With Xbox One, that becomes completely impossible.

This will effect employ attitudes towards the system in addition to any sort of company wide policy regarding Xbox One.

ZoddGutts

Not shocking. Of course Gamespot will be pushing the PS4 harder than X1 and will make sure the customers know about X1 DRM/Online policies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Someone mentioned in another thread that one of the perks working at gamestop is taking home used games. Yes sometimes they take home new according to the person. But since you can't do that on the Xbone it might really piss them off and get them to push the PS4 even more.

As I've mentioned in several threads already, it should also be remembered that it's company policy to allow employees to borrow games from the store. It's limited to used games, but that doesn't stop them from borrowing new games as well. With Xbox One, that becomes completely impossible.

This will effect employ attitudes towards the system in addition to any sort of company wide policy regarding Xbox One.

I thought that employee freedom to borrow games ended a decade ago?

It may not have much to do with the DRM issue in itself but rather a desire to inform consumers so as to not return a used console complaining that they cant do X, Y and Z with it.

MercuryLS

Banned
I could see thing coming a mile away. The big retailers that rely on trade-ins are going to push hard agains the Xbox One. Joe public is going to get up to speed on the DRM stuff a lot faster than people think.

Shit, I never considered that. If I worked at Gamestop, I can see myself getting a PS4 just based on knowing I'd get to play the games for free. Any retail rep will tell you the best way to sell things is to have the store's sales staff own the product.

I thought that employee freedom to borrow games ended a decade ago?
I thought that was just for opening new games. Used ones are still allowed.

Shit, I never considered that. If I worked at Gamestop, I can see myself getting a PS4 just based on knowing I'd get to play the games for free. Any retail rep will tell you the best way to sell things is to have the store's sales staff own the product.

I thought that was just for opening new games. Used ones are still allowed.

Yeah, renting new games was a no-no, but taking home the gut copy (from the empty "new" case on the shelf) still happened regularly anyway. And employees also liked to sneak there new games out from the store pre-release, which will probably be useless with Xbox One, assuming they make games unplayable pre-release.

Edit:

Whoops. Sorry for the double post.

CaptainCally24

Neo Member
Wait, so they're actively dissuading people from buying it? Oh jeez, MS can't be happy about this.

Is it even possible for them to mend the relationship before launch?

If thats true I can't imagine that DM keeping his job very long, most of the GameStops in my area, while telling people about the always online features & 3rd party DRM policies... they want the sale no matter the system.. GameStop as a company doesn't want to recieve less Xbox One's than say Walmart or Best Buy

From personal experience GS has a far higher number of employees who preferred 360 and pushed it more this gen. We'll see how many of them remain with MS this round. Would be interesting if some corporate memos were leaked.

pixlexic

Banned
I could see thing coming a mile away. The big retailers that rely on trade-ins are going to push hard agains the Xbox One. Joe public is going to get up to speed on the DRM stuff a lot faster than people think.

there is more than 1 that rely on trade ins?

fmpanda

Chiming in from TX, it was a mixed bag. On the day they opened up Xbone preorders, the two employees there were genuinely perplexed why I was planning on going PS4. When I brought up to them the issues with the DRM and Used Games, they simply shrugged it off for the most part, but somewhat understood why I didn't want to touch the Xbone with a ten-foot flagpole.

Now the day after the Sony conference I went in so my roommate could secure his PS4 preorder, and the Store Manager there had a much different tune towards the Xbone, basically not really trusting it compared to the PS4.

Every retailer should be handing out the info/rules on how the Xbox One functions, otherwise they are going to be dealing with angry customers (esp parents) that are unable to use the system in ways that were previously possible. A good portion of potential customers have no idea about the issues presented by the Xbox One. If I ran a game store I'd let everyone know, and it has nothing to do with my opinion on the DRM, but because I won't want to deal with the coming backlash.

agree. there will be problems, & it's best to attempt to head them off early...

that said, i still can't believe just how half-assed ms has been through this. how did they not anticipate & have shit in place for this (ie, their own fliers)?... oh, yeah, i forgot:

In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details. We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points...

it's just part of their strategy :) ...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I was just at Gamestop. Decided to take the majority of my 360 collection and sold it off (the system will follow in a few days- I have an older model and will do a system transfer first), using the credit to pick up a few PS3 versions of games I had on 360 and put the rest on the PS4 and a few games. They gave me way more credit than I expected with all the trade-in deals going on and told me that I'd get more than enough from the 360 trade in to pay off the rest of the PS4, so I'm not complaining at all. But that's going off-topic.

Anyway, while I was there the clerks were asking everyone coming in about pre-ordering new systems. It was all Playstation and one clerk was going off on the DRM stuff, saying no used games and trade-ins.

GavinGT

Banned
Of course they'll push back against anything that threatens their business model. But they still have to pretend to be on board with Microsoft from a PR standpoint.

Hmm....imma be at GS tommorow to get TLOU but I'm interested in hearing and seeing how people at GS are reacting ever since the E3 reveal of the big 2......

As a experiment I think I will go into a gamestop and ask casually about the xbox one and PS4 and see what happens. I will be picking up TLOU so it might be a fun little diversion while I am there

Picking up TLOU as well at gamestop, will try to look out for the video, ask about how many of each is being pre-order and how many they have each, look out for the flyer and just get their general attitude.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Of course they'll push back against anything that threatens their business model. But they still have to pretend to be on board with Microsoft from a PR standpoint.

I thought the plan was to allow used Xbone game sales of some kind at specific retailers, including Gamestop?

Blueblur1

Interesting. I'm glad to see GameStop employees doing something intelligent for once. Hopefully their words reach as many consumers as possible.

spwolf

A lot of people were insisting that PS4 had to have the same DRM before the conference. The true lack of it hasn't yet sunk in for some people.

That, and the Jack Tretton quote which was basically "if retailers want to put in their own systems, they can"... Which was misinterpreted. It's not system level, so it's essentially identical to PS3.

Kotaku had an article today where they said it wasnt clear enough, and they got response from sony, making it crystal clear and still it wasnt clear according to them :).

So this is why I see a lot of people on Kotaku and Engadget claiming it is all the same.

jonabbey

It´s not only the anti used part that sucks for gamestop.
Because retail games are just digital copys after you have installed them on the box people will start buying less and less retail games and Gamestop stops selling used and new Games.

Ah, that's an interesting angle. Devalue the physical disks, and the customers go to the XBox online store where Microsoft gets the retail cut all to themselves. It's not about used game sales at all, really.

APetePerson

Neo Member
Interesting. EB games here in Australia is owned by gamestop- I'll check out a store this afternoon and see if this is a global thing, or just in the US. Could be really interesting if this is happening all over the world.

abic

Banned
That's up to the publisher, not Microsoft.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

and

The problem is they're exposing Gamestop as a business entity to market forces they previously didn't have to contend with -- now Gamestop has to negotiate with entities like EA, Activision and Ubisoft about their trade in policies and you can BET that their previous margin will be chewed on.

The bottomline of Microsoft's intent is for this to generate more unique copies sold for game titles on their portfolio, which will net out towards their bottomline.

Deku Tree

The problem is they're exposing Gamestop as a business entity to market forces they previously didn't have to contend with -- now Gamestop has to negotiate with entities like EA, Activision and Ubisoft about their trade in policies and you can BET that their previous margin will be chewed on.

The bottomline of Microsoft's intent is for this to generate more unique copies sold for game titles on their portfolio, which will net out towards their bottomline.

The end user is going to get squeezed on sales of used games on xbone. I imagine they will be worth so little that it will be almost a waste of time to resell them.

Andrefpvs

Well this is interesting. I don't oppose this at all, given the circumstances.

Now if we could get a scan of the fabled pamphlet :p

Top Bottom