• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite all the crap going on I still love this place as a gaming community

That was certainly something. I'll miss the dbz ot thread though.
Also that hilarious Mario Odyssey "OT" right before the site went down.

Gnilres

I love a good shitshow
I wonder what this place will look like in a week?

Hopefully, everyone who wants out will be gone and we can get back to business as usual. I live for review threads, launch OT's for big launches and the discussion on this board.

Stupid question - why can't this be, you know, a GAMING forum?

No Trump, no Hillary, no politics? Politics attracts people who are into politics and not gamers. People who are into politics should go to politics related forums, subreddits, etc.

Maybe Off-Topic can be changed to Non-Gaming Entertaintment to talk about movies, anime, etc.

The problem now isn't that it's just a gaming forum.It's that people don't want to line lore's pockets. That is what is gonna hurt this place more than anything.

There’s a lot of games I wouldn’t have touched if it wasn’t for GAF, good & bad lol. Also a lot of movies. E3 is great here, the gifs and memes are hilarious. Also great for getting news from all sources.

Couldn’t give a shit about this Evilore crap, not as serious as people are making out, and don’t see why the actions of one person (owner of the site or not) should see this place into the abyss. Absolutely over the top internet-culture nonsense. These people think we live in a Utopia or something?

Get over yourselves and let’s continue talking and debating games. We don’t actually play them :)

No Trump, no Hillary, no politics? Politics attracts people who are into politics and not gamers. People who are into politics should go to politics related forums, subreddits, etc.

Maybe Off-Topic can be changed to Non-Gaming Entertaintment to talk about movies, anime, etc.

Dunno if this was directed at my post or not. I wasnt trying to bring politics into the convo. Was just searching for an appropriate analogy. It's difficult to find one without immediately making that connection.

But I do agree that it would be great if the site somehow survives and manages to foster polite, productive discussion about games rather than the endless shitposting and trolling that take place around so many gaming centric or gaming-adjacent social media.

Arkage

Banned
No more walking on egg shells with many of the terrible mods gone.

I mean, the mods had gotten better the past year or so. Gamergate was probably the peak time period of people getting banned for literally anything not towing a very particular line of thought. I remember getting banned for pushing back against the idea that the people asking questions in GG threads were secret GG cells trying to derail. And for saying that while I support BLM in general, using Michael Brown as the initial case was a mistake. Banworthy stuff, apparently.

Malka said in that Vox piece that he wants to get the forum away from being intensely political which is probably for the better. The political drama of the world kept leaking into neogaf, and the subsequent banhammers of left leaning mods were addressing things way beyond the scope of keeping conversation flowing and respectful.

And I've tried to find other forums before but they literally all suck. This one had a good community with tons of news and leaks. I'm going to keep coming here regardless.

Xtyle

But that's alright. Neogaf didn't come out super big back then and I still enjoyed this place and it was pretty much the only place I stayed in the end. It wasn't famous for its gaming leaks and devs connections until later on (or at least it wasn't known for it initially).

Ask yourself... when an entire community leaves, what's truly left? You'll get to post with all new people for sure but... The culture you enjoyed won't be the same, nor will the news come as swiftly.

All that's left is the name.

Oxn

There’s a lot of games I wouldn’t have touched if it wasn’t for GAF, good & bad lol. Also a lot of movies. E3 is great here, the gifs and memes are hilarious. Also great for getting news from all sources.

Couldn’t give a shit about this Evilore crap, not as serious as people are making out, and don’t see why the actions of one person (owner of the site or not) should see this place into the abyss. Absolutely over the top internet-culture nonsense. These people think we live in a Utopia or something?

Get over yourselves and let’s continue talking and debating games. We don’t actually play them :)

The overreacters are the exact people i want gone, so this is all good news to me.

void666

Banned
Hopefully, everyone who wants out will be gone and we can get back to business as usual. I live for review threads, launch OT's for big launches and the discussion on this board.

When their promised land turns out to be a muddy swamp they'll come back

88Titan88

Pretty much this.
I visit this site for gaming discussions, ffs.

bustin98

I am just a lurker, but I would be disappointed to see this community fall apart. I look forward to being a fringe member for many more years.

And it seems like all of the people who are conducive to that will leave.

Honestly, I'm curious about some of you. But I imagine, when the dust settles and all your enemies are gone... you'll realize just how many of them made up what you love.

EDIT: It's actually crazy, tbh. You think the OT's, review threads, the leaks... Were made by some monolithic entity called "GAF"? Get used to doing that shit for yourselves, I say.

wtd2009

I'm relieved to have a connection to the community again. I love the gaming forums, some of the best discussions I've read online for games.

*Guaraná

Banned
Omg! Its back, im home!
This is the only place i can reaaaaaally talk about my hobby.

Been missing it all weekend.

I was desperated thinking there would never be a wednesday MediaCreate sales thread again!
I LOVE SALES AGE.

MadeULook

I understand people who want to leave following the news, but I can't think of another forum that is halfways decent as GAF. I tried IGN and a couple Reddit boards but that was a fresh hell I never want to go back to.

I also like no OT for now. I do lean liberal but that place was slowly becoming insanely political and if you weren't with the hive you were not welcome. I was kind of scared to post whenever I disagreed with something.

I'm just glad GAF is back. I felt like something was missing the last few days without it. I don't care for Evilore, but the community is great and will stick around for it.

sa201674

Banned
A lot of the communities here have moved on.
I'd imagine a lot of the people still in here are scrambling to reconnect with their communities to know their next home

I mean, why would anyone want stay in a place owned by a self-renowned ( look at his posts.) maniacal egoistic pervy hypocritical creep who makes up bizzare fairy tales about Bicycles and Scissorology.

I suspected something weird with the whole Pedo-mod denial and banning back in Summer but this? Ewwwwwww Ewwwwe Ewwww.

There's being willfully blind and there's... this mess.

Also, LOL at those who get offended by the mere mention of "politics". That also goes to the clearly delusional owner.

I don't know, this isn't what I thought it would be. It's not easy to separate GAF from Evilore. Like it or not, this is the site he is founder and CEO of, this is his theme park. All profit goes to him and the last of the staff.

I don't want to get sentimental because I know Twitter, 4chan, and Reddit are all over GAF right now. But, GAF isn't what it used to be since I discovered it over 7 years ago.

dendryte

If people didn't like the politics of the place, why even come here?! I'm sorry that you didn't feel like you have a safe space here -- just kidding, totally not sorry!, but like aren't there cesspools like 4chan or reddit that you can inhabit instead?

Omg the video games!!! VIDEO GAMEZ!!!

But that's alright. Neogaf didn't come out super big back then and I still enjoyed this place and it was pretty much the only place I stayed in the end. It wasn't famous for its gaming leaks and devs connections until later on (or at least it wasn't known for it initially).

Honestly, I have no more to say, other than:

Contrary to popular belief, the people make up a forum as much as anything else. But hey, if you're just attracted to the brand...

Gluka

Because NeoGAF has cultivated a mature group of moderators and regular posters over the years and generally has a level of discussion well above shit like Reddit? Here's a tip for gamer side people who hated off-topic, you never needed to click it.

Not that it matters now.

Durask

I understand people who want to leave following the news, but I can't think of another forum that is halfways decent as GAF. I tried IGN and a couple Reddit boards but that was a fresh hell I never want to go back to.

Yeah, went to Falcom reddit.

Crickets.....

void666

Banned
If people didn't like the politics of the place, why even come here?! I'm sorry that you didn't feel like you have a safe space here -- just kidding, totally not sorry!, but like aren't there cesspools like 4chan or reddit that you can inhabit instead?

Omg the video games!!! VIDEO GAMEZ!!!

It's a forum about video games. Crazy right?

Want toxic threads about politics? Try /pol/

ptown

I rely on this forum for instantaneous gaming news.

I tried looking at other "dedicated" gaming sites and it was horrible. News in the form of slowly released, long winded journalistic style articles, and forums filled with spam.

I'd like for this place to get back up and running again. But if it doesn't, can someone please give me information about what's the go to place now?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Honestly, I have no more to say, other than:

Contrary to popular belief, the people make up a forum as much as anything else. But hey, if you're just attracted to the brand...

He's just saying that basically GAF just got back to the starting point again, and in time it *may* grow into something that people remembered as when they think fondly of GAF.

At least, that's what I think.

Also, LOL at those who get offended by the mere mention of "politics". That also goes to the clearly delusional owner.

Or maybe we just dont want the endless toxicity of both extremes of the political spectrum around the world infesting EVERY aspect of our lives. Maybe we view gaming as an outlet, escapism from the negativity of this world, and will be relieved if that negativity that political discussion brings is kept away from what we want to be a fun hobby, rather than a depressing reminder of the world we live in?

Just maybe. But keep banging that drum.

No, I was just posting my thoughts.

No worries, wasnt sure and didnt want to come off as densive just wanted to clarify mine. Thanks for responding. :)

Holepunch

I rely on this forum for instantaneous gaming news.

I tried looking at other "dedicated" gaming sites and it was horrible. News in the form of slowly released, long winded journalistic style articles, and forums filled with spam.

I'd like for this place to get back up and running again. But if it doesn't, can someone please give me information about what's the go to place now?
ResetEra is apparently the thing being cooked up. Past that either Waypoint or GiantBomb I guess

I havent been here very long but I've known about this place for the past four years or so. From my own experience, and I'm sure some of you lifers will disagree with me, there was too many attacks on other members when it came to preference of a platform. I viewed the Gaming side more than Off-topic, so I'm not sure what was going on on that side.

Someone would post a positive comment or a simple question about a platform and then you have life long members going off on the poor guy/gal because the person's post didnt agree with the majority of the members here. It's just something I've seen from time to time.

I understand those few negative members do not represent GAF as a whole, but they do make GAF look bad in a way. And because of this, this is why people on the outside view GAF as a bad place.

Want this to more focused on gaming like the good old days? Then let people comment without being attacked. Just because someone has been a member for X number of years does not mean they get a slap in the hand while the next person that makes a same attacking comment but is junior gets banned. Yes I know there's rules here, but seems like many are easily forgiven while poor Joey over there gets banned for something I would consider minor.

Again, this is just me observing what's been posted when I lurked and view now that I'm a member.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
As long as politics are banned I will like the new gaf. The regressive left took over old gaf and turned it into an echo chamber that only cared about games to police them.

Let's talk vidya and leave our political differences at the door.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Because NeoGAF has cultivated a mature group of moderators and regular posters over the years and generally has a level of discussion well above shit like Reddit? Here's a tip for gamer side people who hated off-topic, you never needed to click it.

Not that it matters now.

Works both ways though. OT people coming in gaming side to vent? I mean if people don't want to be here, just leave. I don't understand why they have to try to blow shit up on the way out.

Once everything plays out and all the details are there for all to see, I may also leave. But I'll just log off and never come back. I won't try to light a fire on the way out the door.

StoneFox

I certainly missed this place while it was gone, I just wish I could access some of the OT communities. I don't really miss the general Off Topic board, but I liked posting in communities...

Paracelsus

The not so subtle irony of it is: the climate that made possible such things as
"guilty until proven otherwise"
is something Neogaf itself pioneered.

I guess you could say it ate itself up, in a way. When you make absolutely everything about politics (and at this point, it was), there comes a time when it backfires, that's what happens. If it wasn't this time it would've been some other time, for sure.

That has nothing to do with whether he did it or he did, it's how the thing blew up that's symbolic of the hysterical climate we live in, the whole "you're either x or y" and the kneejerk reaction from all parts involved.

I don't know why people act like the OT was different. It was more focused, but politics have been in the gaming section for years, from something like censorship in character creators to something like the thread talking about the Wolfenstein 2 tongue-in-cheek "let's shoot at trump voters nazi" tweets. Unless you outright ban politics altogether, you're gonna find them, in any capacity, everywhere.

Gaz_RB

As long as politics are banned I will like the new gaf. The regressive left took over old gaf and turned it into an echo chamber that only cared about games to police them.

Let's talk vidya and leave our political differences at the door.

Regressive left? did we pull that out of our Breitbart thesaurus?

redskinfanva

Neo Member
yea i jus want to get back too gaming i work 12 hr shifts gaf helps me get through it i love being on gaf when a new game comes out at midnight gets me hype too play some games...

Oxn

Works both ways though. OT people coming in gaming side to vent? I mean if people don't want to be here, just leave. I don't understand why they have to try to blow shit up on the way out.

Once everything plays out and all the details are there for all to see, I may also leave. But I'll just log off and never come back. I won't try to light a fire on the way out the door.
How else will they shows us how high and mighty they are?

Top Bottom