• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs PC specs (x64 only, Quad Core minimum, recommended 8-core and 2GB VRAM)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

pixlexic

Banned
Finally someone from PC Gaf manned up and said it.

everyone says it .. but you can play the games in lower settings for much cheaper.

The thing console only gamers do not understand is the lower setting are still usually better than the console settings.

eot

Banned
Finally someone from PC Gaf manned up and said it.

Meh, it depends. If you want to chase the high end, then yes. If you want something comparable to a console then not really. I've had my PC for over five years, it's beginning to show its age but it still plays console ports better than the current gen consoles do, I probably pay way less for a game on average, I don't pay for multiplayer, I don't have to pay for stupid proprietary headsets, wifi adapters etc. Since I don't have a TV that's another expense as well. Obviously a TV is not just for games, but then neither is a PC. In the end it's more about what you prefer than what's more expensive, it's not a cheap hobby either way.

dr_rus

2 GB of VRAM won't be enough for the next generation. Even 4 GB won't cut it for those who want to go 4K. RAM is RAM - you can't fit 8 GB of data into 2 GB of RAM. It's clear as day.

4 CPU cores which have higher processing speed than 8 cores in new consoles (meaning all quad core Intel CPUs of today) will be enough however. You don't need to have 8 cores to run 8 threads, you just need to have enough processing power to run 2 threads on 1 core as fast as on 2 console CPU cores - and that's exactly what all Intel's quad cores are capable of.

Miguel81

2 GB of VRAM won't be enough for the next generation. Even 4 GB won't cut it for those who want to go 4K. RAM is RAM - you can't fit 8 GB of data into 2 GB of RAM. It's clear as day.

4 CPU cores which have higher processing speed than 8 cores in new consoles (meaning all quad core Intel CPUs of today) will be enough however. You don't need to have 8 cores to run 8 threads, you just need to have enough processing power to run 2 threads on 1 core as fast as on 2 console CPU cores - and that's exactly what all Intel's quad cores are capable of.

So 2GB VRAM(I have 3) won't be enough if you plan on gaming at 1920x1080 for the majority of this generation?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why would the specs be posted on Uplay with such detail, hardware examples at each performance level and all, only to be a mistake?

Doesn't make sense.

I'm not surprised. Clear communication within Ubisoft seems to be difficult if you look at the company's history of flip-flopping on the matter of whether or not the PC version of a particular game will be needlessly delayed.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Gonna enjoy the game at 800x600 ultra on a crusty laptop for dem next gen graphics
2169924-kappa.png

Eusis

I imagine 4 GB will be fine if you just want to trounce consoles without necessarily going far above and beyond (IE you get a native 1080p 60 FPS on games that aren't one or either, and maybe pull 4K or at least 120 FPS on those that are), but if you want to be safe 8 GB IS best. Nevermind the late gen games, there's only so much you can do to prepare really as an 8800 GT can definitely outperform what we see on consoles period far as I can tell, but some of those games are barely acceptable on consoles as it is or the PC port automatically expects it can do more and so kills the 8800 GT anyway.

The End

It's a stock Dell build. Can't OC it. Plus, I've been stuck with 3GB of RAM and 32bit Vista for the past six years. Going forward I'd at the very least have to buy some RAM and re-install Windows.

As for upgrading, I was thinking of going with an i5-3570k and a GTX 760. Might go up to Haswell though. Don't know how a mid-range GTX 700 series card stacks up against a high-range 600 series.

FYI, I've got a EVGA 760 SC, it's got a looooot of overclocking headroom. Just going by firestrike scores I can stock 680 scores without pushing it too hard.

Alright I'm getting confused. Isn't it only i7s that do this, and not i5s?

VillageBC

So 16gb ram + 2gb vram won't be enough to match consoles?

XB1 has 6gb of game usable ddr3.
PS4 has 6gb of game usable gddr5.

That ram will be dedicated to more then just graphics. Fairly certain very few gamers with halfway modern equipment will have any difficulty. But yes as always before if you are pushing extreme resolutions you will need more vram.

An application can start as many threads as it needs. The CPU is just limited to how many threads it can run concurrently. If a cpu runs half the threads twice as fast as another cpu, both will complete say 4 equal tasks at the same time. To take advantage of many slow cores you need to really focus on dividing the load across all the cores. Fewer faster cores are easier to keep busy.

Hyper threading doesn't really allow 2 threads to run concurrently on a single core for real but it just more efficiently handles 2 threads on a single core.

K.Jack

So 2GB VRAM(I have 3) won't be enough if you plan on gaming at 1920x1080 for the majority of this generation?

Battlefield 4 is asking for 3GB of VRAM already, on day one. That make me feel me 2GB won't last more than a couple years, before nearly every release is asking for 3GB or more. Of course, lowering resolution and settings will always be an option.

I'm so glad Nvidia loads their high-end mobile GPUs with 4GB VRAM I have essentially a GTX 680M 4GB.

fep

I have an i7-920 and a 7970 and I'm considering Watch Dogs on PS4...

It depends on how good remote play with a vita is.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
everyone says it .. but you can play the games in lower settings for much cheaper.

The thing console only gamers do not understand is the lower setting are still usually better than the console settings.
This would make sense in 4-5 years time, at the moment it sounds stupid, unless you mean current gen? Even then thats a bit of an over exaggeration.

K.Jack

Can I barely run with this?
i7-3630QM @ 2.4 Ghz (3.4 Ghz with Turboboost)
nVidia GeForce GT 650M 2GB DDR3
8GB DDR3 RAM

The GT 650M DDR3 is well below the GTX 460. It holds about 60-65% of the latter's power, stock vs stock.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I am going to build a gaming PC around December. For the Ultra specifications, I assume I would need to spend $1500-$2000? I was comparing the specs to the list on http://www.logicalincrements.com/.
I wouldn't follow these lists very closely tbh. A 200 dollar mobo is overkill and prey on people with too much money and not enough sense. Asrock, Asus, and Msi make some excellent boards that support sli, cross fire that cost 70 to 80 dollars less. On top of that their recommended voltage for psus are a bit high which eat more into your budget. Which, of course you want to get a good name brand psu, but be realistic on how you want your build to be and check a couple of wattage websites. With a good psu you can get away with lower output. And don't buy OCZ anything!
Edit:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/itsthenew/saved/2vZE
Here's a Sub 1500 build with a 4gb 770 card, 16 gigs of ram, i7, win 8 and quality parts. For 60 dollars more you could get an overclockable CPU and a CPU cooler if you need it.

gblues

Banned
If Watch Dogs really needs an i7 or an AMD 8-core rig to be playable, then someone at Ubisoft didn't do their homework.

According to the latest Steam user hardware survey, over 80% of the market is on Intel dual or quad core systems. Less than 1% have 8 cores.

I expect the game to run fine on i5s simply because no publisher in their right mind would chase such a tiny market.

quetz67

Banned

Which is usally the case a few years into a console's lifespan.

ArynCrinn

Banned
My 5 best PC's STILL kick this games' asses spec requirements! :)

My "lowest powered modern gaming PC" is:

Core i5 2500k OC@4.7GHz (new OC, cooled with Corsair Hydro H100i water cooler, Shin Etsu paste)
SLI EVGA GTX 690's (8GB of VRAM btw, for games that support SLI)
Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
32GBDDR3 GSkill ARES RAM @2400
LG Blu-Ray Writer
3x 2TB WD Blue 7200rpm 6Gb HDD
1x Corsair Force 256GB SSD
850watt Seasonic X PSU

dr_rus

Of course not. Both new consoles can have as much as 5+ GBs of data which may all need to be on the 'fast' VRAM in PC split memory pools architecture. So even 4 GB may not be enough to handle straight console ports. Now, in a couple of years we'll have PC versions being improved by GPU/CPU vendors again and they'll likely to push past consoles memory requirements at that point. Also let's add 4k and 8k here. Anyone who thinks that even 6GB will be enough on PCs for the whole generation is kidding themselves. 3-4 maybe enough to handle first wave of the new gen multiplatform, in a year or two it'll be 6-8, then we'll inevitably come to 12-16. That's fucking PC people, it won't stop evolving because of consoles.

I imagine 4 GB will be fine if you just want to trounce consoles without necessarily going far above and beyond (IE you get a native 1080p 60 FPS on games that aren't one or either, and maybe pull 4K or at least 120 FPS on those that are), but if you want to be safe 8 GB IS best. Nevermind the late gen games, there's only so much you can do to prepare really as an 8800 GT can definitely outperform what we see on consoles period far as I can tell, but some of those games are barely acceptable on consoles as it is or the PC port automatically expects it can do more and so kills the 8800 GT anyway.
I don't pay for PC hardware to play with console graphics. If I'd want that, I'd just buy me a console. So I don't understand why anyone would want to not go above and beyond consoles if he chooses to go with PC - that's like the whole point of this.

As was said already, you can run as many threads on one core as you like. Generally a one core which runs two threads at the same speed as the same two threads are ran on two other cores is better because it'll run just one thread twice as fast and two threads at the same speed. All todays i5s and i7s have cores which are more than twice as fast as Jaguar cores of new consoles. Thus a quad core i5 should be just fine at running new consoles CPU code no matter of how much threads it consists.

solarus

Core i5 2500k OC@4.7GHz (new OC, cooled with Corsair Hydro H100i water cooler, Shin Etsu paste)
Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
LG Blu-Ray Writer
850watt Seasonic X PSU
Not so stealth brag post.

Kraftwerk

I wouldn't follow these lists very closely tbh. A 200 dollar mobo is overkill and prey on people with too much money and not enough sense. Asrock, Asus, and Msi make some excellent boards that support sli, cross fire that cost 70 to 80 dollars less. On top of that their recommended voltage for psus are a bit high which eat more into your budget. Which, of course you want to get a good name brand psu, but be realistic on how you want your build to be and check a couple of wattage websites. With a good psu you can get away with lower output. And don't buy OCZ anything!
Edit:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/itsthenew/saved/2vZE
Here's a Sub 1500 build with a 4gb 770 card, 16 gigs of ram, i7, win 8 and quality parts. For 60 dollars more you could get an overclockable CPU and a CPU cooler if you need it.

I see. Thank yo for the info. WIll definitely ask around here when I am about to build my PC in a month or so.

Xyber

Of course not. Both new consoles can have as much as 5+ GBs of data which may all need to be on the 'fast' VRAM in PC split memory pools architecture. So even 4 GB may not be enough to handle straight console ports. Now, in a couple of years we'll have PC versions being improved by GPU/CPU vendors again and they'll likely to push past consoles memory requirements at that point. Also let's add 4k and 8k here. Anyone who thinks that even 6GB will be enough on PCs for the whole generation is kidding themselves. 3-4 maybe enough to handle first wave of the new gen multiplatform, in a year or two it'll be 6-8, then we'll inevitably come to 12-16. That's fucking PC people, it won't stop evolving because of consoles.

While it's true that games will require more memory in the future, a 4GB GPU will last the entire generation if you are one of those people who rarely want to buy new hardware. These new consoles have ~6GB to use (give or take some) that is not all going to be used for graphics. Your PC doesn't only consist of VRAM, you have regular RAM as well where they can store data. So a 4GB GPU and 8GB DDR3 will be enough for people who don't want to max out their games at 60fps and todays GPU's won't be able to do that for long anyway, so spending a shitload of money to "future proof" your PC is dumb.

You won't have any use for those 6GB of VRAM if your GPU can't even play the game with a bunch of MSAA at high settings.

So getting a 3-4GB GPU today is enough, because when that is not enough anymore the GPU will not be up to snuff anyway and you can get a new one pretty cheap when 6GB is standard in all GPU's.

I see. Thank yo for the info. WIll definitely ask around here when I am about to build my PC in a month or so.

Pop in here for good recommendations on what to buy when it's time. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=600246

Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
LG Blu-Ray Writer
850watt Seasonic X PSU

You can't add VRAM in SLI.

Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
LG Blu-Ray Writer
850watt Seasonic X PSU

SLI (AFR specifically) mirrors memory. You only have 2GB framebuffer for your games.

pestul

Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
LG Blu-Ray Writer
850watt Seasonic X PSU
Sweet lord.. you have to list your top 4 if you're going to tease us like that. I have to see them.

Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
LG Blu-Ray Writer
850watt Seasonic X PSU
How in the hell is a PC with two 690s your lowest? Are you saying the 690 sli PC is the lowest maybe because of the CPU? i believe two 690s beat three titans.

Top Bottom