• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dutch GAF |OT| We're just going our gang

Aiii

So not worth it
Word of caution before entering: There is Dutch language being used in here!

So, this is the official GAF for all things Dutch. Of course, we will include the (former) colonies and our Flemish friends, because hey, as long as your speaking the language, why the hell not? .

PiVnbaD.png

Dutch people are known for many things, but here's the best of them:
We have great stuff to eat:
dropmunten-van-haribo.jpg
dropmunten.jpg

Drop!

Kroketten,bitterballen.jpg
bramfrikandel.jpg

Kroketten & Bitterballen & Frikandellen (Speciaal)!

tumblr_m1n3btrOkR1r4xr4mo1_500.png

Stroopwafels!

aankondiging_gouda_2008.jpg

Goudse Kaas!

boerenkool_met_worst.jpg

Stamppot (Boerenkool met Worst)

koken_zuurkool2.jpg

Zuurkool met worst

xlhagel_nieuw.png

(Chocolade) Hagelslag

beschuit-met-roze-muisjes11.jpg

Beschuit met Muisjes (traditional treat for when you have a baby, pink for girls, blue for boys!

wk-24_Ze_zijn_er_nu_echt_de_Hollandse_Nieuwe.jpg

Haring!

We also have amazing traditions:
sinterklaas-en-zwarte-piet.jpg

Sinterklaas and his Zwarte Pieten (We're not racist at all damnit! They're just his slaves that hand out his gifts and candy!)

dr_koninginnedag.jpg

Koninginnedag (Queen's day), from 2014 on known as Kingsday, and changed from 30th to 27th of April to coincide with King Alex's Birthday.

We have great politicians that make us look awesome all around the world... Which currently has such legends as:
geert-wilders.jpg

Geert Wilders (of course).

reet-mark-rutte_1.jpg

Prime Minister Rutte!

diederik_samson.jpg

Opposition leader Diederik Samsom.

emileroemer.png

Populist closet communist Emile Roemer!

And a king and queen:
m1nxdt9a55wystd1024.jpg

King Willem-Alexander, our great leader! Kim-Jong Un has got nothing on Alex.

maxima.jpg

Queen Maxima, who has a father we shall not name, because she looks okay and we like her because she learned Dutch really fast and smiles nice!

We love to bike everywhere! Mostly because our country is flat as a pancake.
fietsen_1546255j.jpg

Omafiets.jpg

Omafietsen (Grandmabikes) are the most popular bike in our history.

Then, what we're known for abroad:
NL-LI-033.jpg

copy-of-kaasmarkt-2(p:event,4947)(c:0).jpg

amsterdamcoffeeshop.jpg

5374-569-273.jpg

Also, did you meet our great footy players?
johan-cruyff-blog1.jpg

1254929506_1.jpg

Dennis+Bergkamp.JPG

Famous Dutch folk:
Epke Zonderland
tumblr_m8giqrNR3v1qzt1pho2_250.gif

Jeroen Krabbé
Jeroen_Krabbe.jpg

Carice Van Houten
264px-Carice-van-Houten.jpg

Rutger Hauer
rutger_hauer_blade_runner.jpg

Paul Verhoeven
robocop27.jpg

Jos Verstappen
photo.php

And his son: Max Verstappen
84759412-max-verstappen-toro-rosso.jpg

And much more... (willing to add additional items later, let me know!)

Anyway, what we like to do most in our great country, is complain and complain and complain some more. About anything from the weather, to the neighbours, to local politics, to other drivers on the road, to global issues. Dutch people think they're tolerant, but that's only as long as you act like we all do and don't fall out of the normal standards. So that's what this topic is for. Elections are coming up next Wednesday, so there's plenty to complain about, amirite?

DUTCHY GAF: GO!

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Nice OP matey! :D

Ook hier are the tijden hard.

Aiii

So not worth it
So Dutch-GAF, where are you going to vote on?

Still on the fence. Common sense says VVD due to them being the least impactful on my income/spending, but quite frankly all the main parties have been dissapointing me for at least a decade now.

Considering Piratenpartij, just to annoy Tim Kuik actually.

rSpooky

I miss my salty drop.. there is a bunch on the way soon though from family(I hope)..

Also , awaiting raging discussions on sint & piet.. lets hope not.

Groetjes vanuit de VS!

So Dutch-GAF, where are you going to vote on?

Considering I am a lefty and that the VVD screws with the average incomes but keeps the high incomes away from most of the danger, I'd go with either the SP or PVDA.

I can not for the life of me understand as to why someone could vote on the VVD again while everything just turned more to shit under their reign. That, and Rutte always laughs when things get difficult for him.

Is there an English word for 'gezellig'?

Pleasant?

Goedemorgan Hup Hup Hup Hup

Sadly the only Dutch words I know, oh I know middag.

I do plan to visit Nederland in the future(well most of Europe).

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Is there an English word for 'gezellig'?

This marks the third time in a week I've seen this come up. Hadn't seen this being discussed before then, what made this pop up?

Love the thread title.

Kloteweer

Banned
This marks the third time in a week I've seen this come up? Hadn't seen this being discussed before, what made this pop up?
No reason, just wondering. I don't think there is an English word that perfectly encapsulates 'gezellig'. I've read somewhere 'gezelligheid' is a typically Dutch concept.

soepje

I still have no clue who to vote for. I did the online questionnaire, and PVDD came out on top. I would never vote for such a party, i mean they where talking about freaking goldfishes in bowls (no offence to anyone). I just find it very difficult this time around.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
No reason, just wondering. I don't think there is an English word that perfectly encapsulates 'gezellig'. I've read somewhere 'gezelligheid' is a typically Dutch concept.

On the flip side, we have no word for 'siblings'.

Aiii

So not worth it
I still have no clue who to vote for. I did the online questionnaire, and PVDD came out on top. I would never vote for such a party, i mean they where talking about freaking goldfishes in bowls (no offence to anyone). I just find it very difficult this time around.

When I was getting some new fish for my aquarium the guy at the Intratuin damn near jumped down my troat when I said "Nah, vijf zijn er teveel voor mijn vissekom."

My aquarium is square, but really, those things have a 10 second memory, like they're gonna remember when they make it around once. :lol:

msv

Considering I am a lefty and that the VVD screws with the average incomes but keeps the high incomes away from most of the danger, I'd go with either the SP or PVDA.
Better off voting for SP then, PvdA will probably go into cahoots with the VVD or any random party just so they can be in the cabinet.

I think I'm going for SP, but I still have to check out of the Pirate Party's points.

I can not for the life of me understand as to why someone could vote on the VVD again while everything just turned more to shit under their reign. That, and Rutte always laughs when things get difficult for him.
Me either. I'm just baffled how someone can allow your healthcare system to become more and more liberally privatized, something that has been proven not to work beyond any reasonable doubt.

My main gripe is that there is no party that is out to deal with corruption, and our current voting system. Voting only on parties, once every 4 years, in 2012 is a mockery. We should've been able to vote for specific (sets of) points a long time already. Not to mention that there are obviously corrupt politicians shitting on democracy (Teeven) and there's no good organ to deal with it properly. It's really time to drastically decrease the power of politicians by taking away their ability to make up their own points as they go along.

2012 and we're still voting on ridiculous PR campaigns, bleh bleh bleh.

Metal-Geo

Ugh. Ik las de OP ook als een Nederlander dat Engels spreekt. Vreselijk accent hebben wij zeg.

Laten we even heel eerlijk zijn, er valt nu is echt niets speciaal te beleven in Nederland en Belgie.
Hoeren en wiet! Whoohoooo. :|

Google Translate sez :p
cozy, sociable, convivial, social, intimate, snug, homey, companionable, gregarious, homy, chummy, neighborly, clubbable, maty, livable, liveable
Take your pick.

Sadist

Needs moar Willem van Hanegem

hanegem.JPG

And voting? Eh, I guess PvdA. Hate their stance on cutting military budgets, but all the others are pretty shit as well. Rutte's head is trapped shaking no all the time, pisses me off.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
This Thread needs more dutch dudes and dette's.

Epke Zonderland
tumblr_m8giqrNR3v1qzt1pho2_250.gif

Jeroen Krabbé
Jeroen_Krabbe.jpg

Carice Van Houten
264px-Carice-van-Houten.jpg

Rutger Hauer
rutger_hauer_blade_runner.jpg

Also:
Douwe-Egberts-logo.jpg

I still haven't got a clue what to vote for...VVD...not liberal anymore and they are turncloaks...pvda...meh...d66? I don't Pechtold so... SP and PVV too populistic for me. Partij vd dieren?
KuGsj.gif
let's not go there...

Piratenpartij...i'm not sure. On the one hand they're obviously on the good side when it comes to policies about downloading, patents etc but what about my mortgage ;)

All in all i don't know yet.

Btw love the idea of a dutchies thread :D

Top Bottom