• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

rewind is a casuals tool

giphy.gif

top post. cool. cool. cool.

zweifuss

I love the recent retroarch-clover that has the pixel perfect scanlines, corrected aspect ratio, and decorative frames from the SNES mini OS, but to me, it seems like there is now lag in the NES games. Genesis & FBA games play fine to me, but both NES emulators seem to have some lag now in the controls. Anyone else experience this? Should I uninstall the hmod first before I put a new one on, is that the issue maybe?

butman

Slowing down on the whole border thing, but realised I had been terrible by not making a Goemon one. Fixed that.

8KqOVCF.png

Very nice art.
Sadly none of the right side characters above Dr. Yang appears in that version of The Legend of Mystical Ninja.

Robin64

Very nice art.
Sadly none of the right side characters above Dr. Yang appears in that version of The Legend of Mystical Ninja.

None of my borders are meant for one game, rather the series. For example, I use my Kirby one on all the Kirby games.

Pyrrhic Victory

Neo Member
successfully ftp'd and changed out all my game art, magically. i did experience some issues downloading "autoplay" files. common? what does it mean?

I have the same issue. On FileZilla (debug level 3), I show the following whenever I try to transfer an autoplay file

Trace: CFtpControlSocket::FileTransfer()
Trace: CControlSocket::SendNextCommand()
Trace: CFtpFileTransferOpData::Send() in state 0
Status: Starting download of /usr/share/games/CLV-P-SAAAE/autoplay
Trace: CFtpChangeDirOpData::Send() in state 0
Trace: CFtpControlSocket::ResetOperation(0)
Trace: CControlSocket::ResetOperation(0)
Trace: CControlSocket::parseSubcommandResult(0)
Trace: CFtpFileTransferOpData::SubcommandResult() in state 1
Trace: CFtpFileTransferOpData::Send() in state 5
Trace: CFtpRawTransferOpData::Send() in state 2
Command: PASV
Trace: CFtpControlSocket::OnReceive()
Response: 227 Switched to passive mode (127,0,0,1,194,50)
Trace: CFtpRawTransferOpData::parseResponse() in state 2
Trace: CFtpRawTransferOpData::Send() in state 4
Trace: Binding data connection source IP to control connection source IP 127.0.0.1
Command: RETR autoplay
Trace: CTransferSocket::OnConnect
Trace: CFtpControlSocket::OnReceive()
Response: 550 shell command "cat "/usr/share/games/CLV-P-SAAAE/autoplay"" returned exit code 1: cat: read error: Is a directory
Trace: CFtpRawTransferOpData::parseResponse() in state 4
Trace: CFtpControlSocket::ResetOperation(2)
Trace: CControlSocket::ResetOperation(2)
Trace: CControlSocket::parseSubcommandResult(2)
Trace: CFtpFileTransferOpData::SubcommandResult() in state 7
Trace: CFtpControlSocket::ResetOperation(2)
Trace: Deleting empty file
Trace: CControlSocket::ResetOperation(6)
Error: Critical file transfer error

Does anyone have a resolution for this error? (occurs with WinSCP too)

ReyVGM

It seems you are transferring a directory instead of a specific file. I've heard the SNESC doesn't like that. Transfer specific files one by one.

Pyrrhic Victory

Neo Member
It seems you are transferring a directory instead of a specific file. I've heard the SNESC doesn't like that. Transfer specific files one by one.

The autoplay files are files with no extensions. The log above is when I transferred a single autoplay file on its own (same thing happens 21 times when I try to dump the entire original library). The FTP client is set to transfer only 1 file at a time per instructions in the OP.

Without the autoplay files, the "Classic Demo" Mario doesn't get a demo reel when he hits the original games, so these files are important. Any help appreciated.

SOLDIER

Asking again: does having Retroarch installed make the rest of the Classic run slower?

Also what does the screenshot tool do? Does it actually let you take in-game screenshots, or is that only when you’re running it on PC?

Anyone? I'd really like the final word on this.

Robin64

The screenshot tool only works when connected to a PC, yes. It just uses hakchi to grab the current frame buffer.

And having Retroarch on shouldn't slow the system down.

The autoplay files are files with no extensions. The log above is when I transferred a single autoplay file on its own (same thing happens 21 times when I try to dump the entire original library). The FTP client is set to transfer only 1 file at a time per instructions in the OP.

Without the autoplay files, the "Classic Demo" Mario doesn't get a demo reel when he hits the original games, so these files are important. Any help appreciated.

I don't know why your FTP client is seeing them as files because the autoplay are definitely directories. Within them are files A.inputs, A.inputs.state, B.inputs, etc for as many demos as a game has.

Pyrrhic Victory

Neo Member
I don't know why your FTP client is seeing them as files because the autoplay are definitely directories. Within them are files A.inputs, A.inputs.state, B.inputs, etc for as many demos as a game has.

Maybe that has something to do with it. They definitely appear visually as files and are listed as "File" and 62b size.

Edit: added photo:
tS2vpuM.png

BuddyC

Slightly off topic, but how are the 8bitdo SNES controllers on this using the Retro Receiver Classic Mini? Do they work, and are they lagless? I was never happy with the lag on Switch, but apparently they patched this.

I've been using two since launch week with no issues on my end. Just make sure you've updated the firmware on 'em, though I expect this latest batch is already shipping with it...

Mitama

It's probably Hakchi causing the slowdown, no? Try flashing to the stock kernel and then try reflashing a custom kernel without RetroArch installed and compare the boot times between those two kernels. As soon as I flashed my first custom kernel (without RetroArch) I noticed that the boot time was quite a lot longer.

SOLDIER

So I added "--retroarch" to the two games I wanted to try: Secret of Mana and Rudras.

The good news is that the low res text issue was gone when running these games. I could still use save states and borders too.

The bad news is that I was getting audio skipping on both games. With Rudras, it was skipping and scratching whenever I accessed the menu. For Mana it was a bit less frequent, but still there.

I also got the C8 error message again when I turned off the Classic.

Any ideas? Is there a solution yet to the audio skipping?

Thanks so much for your work! I was envious of others, but thinking it'd be too much work to do myself. You provided an amazing base to work from. Here are ones I modified (mostly resizing) and created, hopefully they're not too small for you.

I love how readable the sprite icons are vs the tiny shrunkdown boxarts even at 30x30 pixels.

You're welcome, and thank you for using them, it's great having something you made being appreciated! :)
The link to your thumbnails doesn't work, it shows me an XML file with the message "Anonymous users does not have storage.objects.get access to discord/attachments/369459989531721728/369539427741073418/thumbs.zip.". Could you upload them to google drive or any other storage?

The saveram saves are identical to what any other emulator would put out by has an added hash added to the end. Just need to trim that off the end and it should load up no problem on a PC emulator/backup device.

I kind of want to do the opposite, upload them to my Mini SNES. I'm assuming Hakchi can't do that and nobody has done a module for that?
Also, are you sure Hakchi saves don't have anything else in them? How does Hakchi know what game do they belong to? SRAM files don't have any kind of ROM id information on them, do they?

Rewinding in most emulators is more like rewinding in Braid where it just starts playing backward until you stop. So you can still pick when to stop rewinding, but you don't have the SNES Classic's nifty UI.

Actually, in Braid you can also fast-forward IIRC, like the mini SNES but UNlike emulators. It's not just a matter of UI, it actually offers more funcionality; for example, knowing what killed you in a hectic game (I just did this today: turns out what killed me... was the timer).

How easy is it to revert these back to default, factory settings?

Around six clicks including confirmation boxes. Kernel -> Uninstall -> OK, then Kernel -> Flash Factory Kernel -> OK. I've done it a few times. To complete the process (e.g. to return it to the shop), reset to factory settings on the Mini itself (this obviously wipes your saves).

Mandatory PSA: make absolutely 100% sure you have kept your original kernel somewhere safe so you can always do this even if your computer self-destructs or whatever.

If I just add a .ips file to the patches folder in Hakchi, will it automatically apply the patch to the ROM? Lunar doesn't seem to be working for me.

I kind of want to do the opposite, upload them to my Mini SNES. I'm assuming Hakchi can't do that and nobody has done a module for that?
Also, are you sure Hakchi saves don't have anything else in them? How does Hakchi know what game do they belong to? SRAM files don't have any kind of ROM id information on them, do they?

I've been trying to get an answer to this same question since almost page one of this thread.

If I just add a .ips file to the patches folder in Hakchi, will it automatically apply the patch to the ROM? Lunar doesn't seem to be working for me.

No, in what way is lunar not working? If the rom isn't loading afterwards, chances are it's a header issue (I wish as a community 20 years ago we decided to never make ips patches on headered roms). Search for SNES Rom Utility and if it says you have a header, remove it or vise versa then try applying the patch (to a clean version of the rom)

Weltall: I'll do some research for you, but it shouldn't be hard to do it in reverse. Give me till sometime tomorrow and I'll work out something for you.

No, in what way is lunar not working? If the rom isn't loading afterwards, chances are it's a header issue (I wish as a community 20 years ago we decided to never make ips patches on headered roms). Search for SNES Rom Utility and if it says you have a header, remove it or vise versa then try applying the patch (to a clean version of the rom)

Well it's only not working for one particular game, Final Fantasy II/IV. The Namingway patch directly from the SNES romhack thread on this site will not work no matter which version of the rom I use.

It worked fine for applying the brick fix to Super Mario All-Stars. It's probably due to the header issue like you're saying.

Robin64

It knows what game an sram file belongs to just based on the folder its in. The code matches the game code.

So I converted my Secret of Mana .srm from a PC emulator to the cartridge.sram format, then uploaded it to /var/lib/profiles/0/[whatever mana is]/

ParityBit

Any hints with making the custom box art? I am looking for the tiled version, but I have 9 covers not covered in the mass of boxes out there!

I really only have paint and generic programs on my machine, so no photoshop.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Any hints with making the custom box art? I am looking for the tiled version, but I have 9 covers not covered in the mass of boxes out there!

You could always list the names of said games and a kind soul may make you some tiles.

C-Drive

You could always list the names of said games and a kind soul may make you some tiles.

Where's the list at - I will help you out. Do you want titles on them or text-less?

SOLDIER

What do you lose by using retroarch?

I was wondering myself, but apparently everything works except you can't transfer save states: if you make a save state with a game running on Retroarch, it can't be carried over if you run it out of Retroarch.

Again, wondering if the sound skipping issue for Rudras and Mana are common or not (and more importantly if there's a fix).

chunk3rvd

Had 8 European only games that I wanted to put on. Applied the patch in the OP to them and half worked but half threw up the "this game is not made for this system" error. The ones that did work seemed like they were running a bit faster than intended? Am I better just leaving them unpatched and using Retroarch for these? I already have the Snes9x core installed anyway.

Also, I know I need to put "--retroarch" on the command line to run within that emulator but what's the significance of this text that appears in most games command lines: "--volume 100 -rollback-snapshot-period 600"? Do I need to add that text if I add some Genesis games or do I just put the "--retroarch" command?

ParityBit

Where's the list at - I will help you out. Do you want titles on them or text-less?

Thank you. I did not want to beg and ask someone to do work!

I am looking for the ones with titles at the moment as I think they look nice that way. These are the games for now....

• The Blues Brothers
  • Kunio-kun no Dodge Ball - Zenin Shuugou
  • Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium
  • Tecmo Super Bowl
  • Tecmo Super Bowl III
  • Tecmo Super NBA Basketball
  • Primal Rage
  • Tuff Enuff
  • True Lies

Seik

Banned
Got this message now:

Qlpt9DK.jpg

Did I perhaps add too many borders? Do they take up more space than games?

Sounds like you loaded waaaaay too much stuff into it.

I'd suggest to limiting yourself to games+box covers.

And also approx. 60 games per page if you don't want C8 errors like earlier.

mr. grape

I would still love a custom box for Famicom Detective Club part II. Can be either SNES style or Switch style.
pitt_norton made some custom box art for it a few pages back, the size might be off though, shows up a bit too small in my browser.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=252158627&postcount=3742

I made a couple of switch style icons for it too if that's what you're after, one based on the art he used for the blue boxart, I tried but could only find a lower quality source unfortunately.

oo3DsFa.png

OpMRMR3.png

SOLDIER

pitt_norton made some custom box art for it a few pages back, the size might be off though, shows up a bit too small in my browser.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=252158627&postcount=3742

I made a couple of switch style icons for it too if that's what you're after, one based on the art he used for the blue boxart, I tried but could only find a lower quality source unfortunately.

oo3DsFa.png

OpMRMR3.png

Thanks!

So I deleted some games and borders (which was a bummer because I'm super addicted to so many), kept it exactly at 60 games. No shutdown issues this time.

But I'm still getting the sound skipping on Treasure of the Rudras and Secret of Mana when using Retroarch. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix it? I really want to play these games in addition to SD3.

mr. grape

But I'm still getting the sound skipping on Treasure of the Rudras and Secret of Mana when using Retroarch. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix it? I really want to play these games in addition to SD3.
I'm guessing there's no way to fix them in Retroarch, SD3 should be entirely playable in Canoe though, from what I've heard it only affects the text in the menus so I would recommend just playing it through the native emulator.

Treasure of the Rudras is more complicated, I think the high res text shows up elsewhere including battles, so it's probably a much bigger issue than SD3 when played in Canoe. Haven't been able to find a solution for that game

If you meant you want to try getting the first Secret of Mana (custom rom) to work, there's been some progress here (but not with retroarch):

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmo..._highres_to_work_on_canoe_with_custom_secret/

PSFan

I wanted to ask again since I didn't get an answer. How do you "upgrade" to a newer version of hakchi2? I modded my classic with 2.21c but when I open 2.21d it doesn't show the games I added in the list. Just the original.

Do I do it like how I first started? Hold the reset when I turn the power on and flash the new version? Will that erase all the stuff I put in there?

devonodev

I wanted to ask again since I didn't get an answer. How do you "upgrade" to a newer version of hakchi2? I modded my classic with 2.21c but when I open 2.21d it doesn't show the games I added in the list. Just the original.

Do I do it like how I first started? Hold the reset when I turn the power on and flash the new version? Will that erase all the stuff I put in there?
Copy all the files from your 2.21c into the 2.21d folder, overwriting everything. Open Hackchi and it should be working.

It knows what game an sram file belongs to just based on the folder its in. The code matches the game code.

So I converted my Secret of Mana .srm from a PC emulator to the cartridge.sram format, then uploaded it to /var/lib/profiles/0/[whatever mana is]/

Oh, you mean using FTP. I actually meant using Hakchi's save manager and it's export / import feature, which outputs a .clvs file which I believe contains both the sram and the savestates. Thing is, it must also contain the game's ID because when you import them back (from whatever folder you saved them in), it puts them in the correct game.

PSFan

Wait sorry, copy all from d into c, including executables. It'll replace all the files to upgrade, and keep all you need including the game list.

I actually did the opposite and didn't copy the executable. It seems to be on the new version now and shows everything again. Do I have to reflash the kernel with new version?

I actually did the opposite and didn't copy the executable. It seems to be on the new version now and shows everything again. Do I have to reflash the kernel with new version?

I would overwrite that yet again with the newest version just to be sure. Mixing the new executable with older versions of other files including binaries that are needed for Hakchi to work will leave you with a sort of unexpected frankenstein that could potentially cause serious problems.

Just copy all of the new version's files (redownload it if you need to) over your instalation, it should keep your stuff and ensure you have a fully updated version.

PSFan

I would overwrite that yet again with the newest version just to be sure. Mixing the new executable with older versions of other files including binaries that are needed for Hakchi to work will leave you with a sort of unexpected frankenstein that could potentially cause serious problems.

Just copy all of the new version's files (redownload it if you need to) over your instalation, it should keep your stuff and ensure you have a fully updated version.

Yeah, I went back and recopied it the other way. And it still looks okay and it's the newer version. Should I flash the kernel again? Or is that not necessary.

jayr281

Has anyone gotten NEOGEO or Windjammers to work? I keep on getting kicked back to the main menu. I've changed the arguement to /bin/fba and also put in the neogeo.zip file with the ROM. I'm running out of ideas. Yes, I have FBA installed too.

I was wondering myself, but apparently everything works except you can't transfer save states: if you make a save state with a game running on Retroarch, it can't be carried over if you run it out of Retroarch.

Again, wondering if the sound skipping issue for Rudras and Mana are common or not (and more importantly if there's a fix).
Everything works, including the rewind system?

SOLDIER

I'm guessing there's no way to fix them in Retroarch, SD3 should be entirely playable in Canoe though, from what I've heard it only affects the text in the menus so I would recommend just playing it through the native emulator.

Treasure of the Rudras is more complicated, I think the high res text shows up elsewhere including battles, so it's probably a much bigger issue than SD3 when played in Canoe. Haven't been able to find a solution for that game

If you meant you want to try getting the first Secret of Mana (custom rom) to work, there's been some progress here (but not with retroarch):

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmo..._highres_to_work_on_canoe_with_custom_secret/

Anyone try this? Can it be applied on top of the font patch?

This is the ultimate goal, isn’t it? To get these games going without Retroarch?

Top Bottom