• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: The Evil Within 2 sells 75% less than first game (physically) at launch

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I disagree, Arkham City in 1080p (Edited my post again to be more precise) with higher res textures would look just as good IMO.
But graphics weren't my main point anyway.
The point is it doesn't look like a brand new gameplay/visual experience never seen on 360 or in the previous entry.

With that logic then you could say the same about InFAMOUS Second Son or Uncharted 4. The graphics looks much better but it doesn't do anything that PS3 couldn't do gameplay wise.

I disagree, Arkham City in 1080p with higher res textures would look just as good.
But graphics weren't my main point anyway.
The point is it doesn't look like a brand new gameplay/visual experience never seen on 360 or in the previous entry.

Then you are wrong.

And anyway, why does it need to 'look like a brand new gameplay/visual experience' in order to sell more than a quarter of what the first game did at launch? What evidence do you have that this played any factor at all?

You have none. See how everyone is disagreeing with you? Maybe it's not because you said something subjective, maybe it's because you were wrong.

Here is The Evil Within running on Xbox 360.
Here is The Evil Within 2 running on PS4.

Duxxy3

?

PS3/360 were already dead by then and both consoles (PS4 especially) have sold millions since then.

They were still the mass market consoles. IIRC the 360/PS3 numbers were around 160 million when TWE came out. PS4/XB1 are roughly half of that.

Tahnit

Banned
I bet wolfenstein 2 sells well. The first one did great and marketing has been advertising the fuck out of this one.

Then you are wrong.

And anyway, why does it need to 'look like a brand new gameplay/visual experience' in order to sell more than a quarter of what the first game did at launch? What evidence do you have that graphics have played any factor at all?

You have none. See how everyone is disagreeing with you? Maybe it's not because you said something subjective, maybe it's because you were wrong.

Thank you for this post. Comes in to shit post and tries to defend said shit post.

I'm on GAF pretty much every day and I didn't know this game was coming out until it was out. Seen 0 ads whilst browsing the internet, 0 ads on youtube and 0 ads in real life (buses etc)

I think TEW2 had threads that started a couple weeks before launch due to twitch and youtuber streams.

I think you both know that Bethesda don't put out previews themselves, and you go to these magical gaming websites where you get those previews!

I'm on GAF pretty much every day and I didn't know this game was coming out until it was out. Seen 0 ads whilst browsing the internet, 0 ads on youtube and 0 ads in real life (buses etc)

Liamc723

I'm on GAF every day and I knew its release date as soon as the game was announced, and I haven't forgotten it since, with multiple threads popping up on here since then.

You're just not looking?

Yeah, that's even worse because it is the enthusiasts, who would be in "the know" who are the bulk of sales, but rather "casual" gamers who only hear of games from marketing or word of mouth.

DeaDPo0L84

These physical sales threads are always interesting but hard to really form a solid opinion on cause digital sales are much bigger now opposed to 2-3 years ago. I feel almost every game would appear to be underperforming if we constantly leave out the percentage of digital sales going forward.

Necron

All these great games underperforming like Prey, Dishonored 2 and now The Evil Within 2. We'll see how well Wolfenstein 2 performs soon enough, I guess. If the next Doom is handled in a similar way it would just be depressing at that point. I really hope that the digital sales are higher...

They were still the mass market consoles. IIRC the 360/PS3 numbers were around 160 million when TWE came out. PS4/XB1 are roughly half of that.

Speaking about the subject here , Which is UK , the PS3/X360 combined only had 12K out of 65K that TEW made during the launch week , so that leaves us with 53K for PS4/X1/PC

I'm on GAF every day and I knew its release date as soon as the game was announced, and I haven't forgotten it since, with multiple threads popping up on here since then.

You're just not looking?
You clearly don't understand how marketing works. It's not the consumer's job to seek out advertisements about the game, it's the publisher's job to put it in front of them.

These physical sales threads are always interesting but hard to really form a solid opinion on cause digital sales are much bigger now opposed to 2-3 years ago. I feel almost every game would appear to be underperforming if we constantly leave out the percentage of digital sales going forward.

Nah. When a game sells less than a quarter of its predecessor you don't need to know digital sales to know it's a huge decline. I agree that with digital sales reaching so high that physical no longer tells the whole story but in cases like this it basically does. Also it's not like digital sales were non existent at the start of this gen. they've gone up but not enough to make up >50% drops at retail.

Nah. When a game sells less than a quarter of its predecessor you don't need to know digital sales to know it's a huge decline. I agree that with digital sales reaching so high that physical no longer tells the whole story but in cases like this it basically does. Also it's not like digital sales were non existent at the start of this gen. they've gone up but not enough to make up >50% drops at retail.

But it's predecessor (TEW) came out on Tuesday. This released on a Friday and literally had one day to chart in one particular country. How can you compare the two when it's a weekly sales number? They shouldn't even be compared at this point

KooopaKid

Banned
Then you are wrong.

And anyway, why does it need to 'look like a brand new gameplay/visual experience' in order to sell more than a quarter of what the first game did at launch? What evidence do you have that this played any factor at all?

What are you trying to prove here?
I'm talking about MY perception of TEW2 which might explain the huge decline.
What are your «evidences» explaining that drop?
We're all speculating here, give me a break.
Anyway, the first released on a Tuesday apparently so comparison are meaningless at the moment.

SomTervo

Right, fine.

There's more factors than simply marketing:
- The first one wasn't exceptional - OK
- The sequel seems similar so why bother - the sequel is massively different, so much so that some hardcore fans of TEW1 are raging in the OT
- The franchise doesn't differentiate itself enough from Resident Evil. The gameplay is very similar. - perhaps this was true of TEW1, but TEW2 is an open world psychological horror game. It has similarities to RE1 and 4 but there are countless other game's DNA in there, from TLoU to Metal Gear Solid to STALKER. Aesthetically (i.e. in terms of branding) I don't see how you can make any comparison
- The setting is gross. Silent Hill is falling by the way side as well. This genre is becoming niche.- what the hell does this mean. What are you talking about. 'Gross setting'? This game goes and takes place in multiple locations, mainly in one but that one contains countless different types of environment, it's a large place.
- It looks like a 360 game at first glance (EDIT: in 1080p). If you want to call things 'last gen looking', please put away your current gen consoles and go back to your 360. I guarantee you won't be happy. TEW2 would be impossible on last gen.

Zukkoyaki

But it's predecessor (TEW) came out on Tuesday. This released on a Friday and literally had one day to chart in one particular country. How can you compare the two when it's a weekly sales number? They shouldn't even be compared at this point
This is actually a pretty decent point. While it's almost certainly still down from the first game, it may not be as awful as it appears.

KooopaKid

Banned
Right, fine.

- Ok
- It's not super obvious from the videos I've seen. I should be a potential customer but they failed to show me the unique features of this game. I don't know what's new about it. What is exciting about it?
- Being open-world (which I didn't know about) doesn't change the combat/stealth gameplay seen in RE4, TLOU already. It's not super exciting making people want to rush to buy it.
- The enemies are designed to be gross/weird. Much more than RE that are only zombies and mutant creatures caused by a bio hazard. It's a lot less mass appealing.
- The game isn't jaw dropping, its visuals don't have that next-gen graphics selling point IMO.

They could have tried advertising it, that might have helped. Legit didn’t know it was coming out until like two days prior. Obviously I wasn’t following it super closely, but I was at least interested and I usually have a pretty decent grasp on the release schedule.

The only marketing I saw was on YouTube and other social media. Im a fan of the first game and I still wasn't aware of when the game was going to be released. To think of it the only marketing I saw was the game cover art and a few seconds gameplay trailer.

YaGaMi

The first one left many disappointed including myself. I'll only be buying this on the cheap rather than full price.

jett

D-Member
So instead of shitting on my post for no reason (Where did I say the game was bad and was hating on it?) and not contributing to the discussion, what's your reasons for that 75% drop?

There is nothing about this game that looks like a 360 game. Graphically it's actually really good.

Why it dropped this much I can't say, I figure Bethesda didn't market it properly. They seem to have a problem with fucking up the launches of quality games recently.

Just saying the "game was a shitshow" isn't the same as saying "the game's performance was a shitshow"

Performance tends to undermine gameplay and atmosphere, though maybe that's just me. Listen, I loved the game, but it was in a bad state on PC at launch, and I put it away until those patches came out. It plays *much* better than it did.

I'm not saying the hyperbole is fair, just not unfounded.

Mooreberg

Somehow, not releasing everything at the same time is never a lesson learned. And another sequel to a 2014 game. I wonder if Wolfenstein II is going to have some difficulties as well.

Astral Dog

What are you trying to prove here?
I'm talking about MY perception of TEW2 which might explain the huge decline.
What are your «evidences» explaining that drop?
We're all speculating here, give me a break.
Anyway, the first released on a Tuesday apparently so comparison are meaningless at the moment.
Evil Within 2 doesn't look like a 360 game its using a hugely upgraded engine called STEAM

Lolks better and has better performance than TEW1 and many, many 360 games

Somehow, not releasing everything at the same time is never a lesson learned. And another sequel to a 2014 game. I wonder if Wolfenstein II is going to have some difficulties as well.
Wolfenstein 2 will be fine, it has loads of marketing and hype behind it, from both press and players.

It's kind of crazy how the two franchises have switched roles since 2014. Back then, no one cared about Wolfenstein, then it came out and really impressed people. Everyone was hyped for TEW as the next Mikami game and a return to survival horror, and it ended up very divisive.

3 years later and all the hype is for Wolfenstein 2, no one much cares about TEW2. Strange how these things happen!

Iksenpets

Banned
I misread this as "sells 75% of what its predecessor did" and thought that was better than expected, all things considered. 75% less though? Oof.

Mr. Tibbs

There were no reviews out one day before the release date. The review embargo should have been lifted on Tuesday. It got a better Metacritic score than its predecessor (78 vs. 75).

Down to 76 now on PS4, although I expect the final number will continue to fluctuate as more reviews surface. Xbox One has a higher score than the PS4 version, but only a third of the reviews, so the sequel has only seen a significant improvement from Metacritic on the PC sku (68 for TEW 1 from 18 reviews vs. 81 TEW 2 with 13 reviews).

2UsKX3B.png
r2HfFQp.png

Keinning

Gaf makes me doubt about my gaming memories everytime someone says "this looks like a ps2/360 game" and then the game looks nothing like it

About TEW2 game barely had any hype. Most people found out about it as soon as the game released. Hell, many still don't.

If people are skipping The Evil Within Two based on the first one, which I would have done if I hadn't forced myself to go back and finish it, they are missing out.

Other than the stuttering on PC driving me crazy it's a great game. I like the open map style so far. It's not as cheap with the one hit deaths, so far at least.

I mean arn't physical sales down year after year, plus it being a sequel. Not soo surprised. Also the bare minimum ad campaign for this game.

Interested in the numbers across all regions when it drops everywhere though.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Gaf makes me doubt about my gaming memories everytime someone says "this looks like a ps2/360 game" and then the game looks nothing like it

About TEW2 game barely had any hype. Most people found out about it as soon as the game released. Hell, many still don't.

I thought the game had a fair amount of hype coming out of e3. I was actually way more hyped than I was with wolfenstein. So much so that I went on media black out. Disclaimer I ended up not buying it yet because of lack of pro support. Heh

Maybe they thought that was enough for the fans as they sure didn’t seem to want to market it.

Nasbin

Depressing. Don't want to chicken little too hard when we got so many amazing SP games this year but I always worry about flops like this reinforcing the industry trend towards multiplayer GaaS. Well, I'm at least thankful this game was made, never would have expected a sequel to begin with.

Top Bottom