• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Jungle Inferno Short

Dyle

Great to see an official Saxton Hale model, I remember playing modded Saxton Hale mode years ago, from what I remember it was pretty fun. Pyro with a jetpack is really strange, I wonder how it'll work. I wonder if they planned to release this on this last week on the 10th for the 10th anniversary

SoulUnison

Banned
Wow, I was really starting to think they'd squeezed as much out of TF2 as they were going to bother to.

Also, weird timing - is this going to take the place of a Halloween event this year?
I can't really imagine them doing two events/updates in fairly rapid succession.

With the apparent addition of the jetpack, I now ship Pyro and Pharah for crazy inter-franchise mischief.

this would have been really cool back in like 2011

also wow it's so jarring at how the original VOs aren't available anymore so it's just Scout and Saxton talking, everyone else is mute or uses a stock voice clip

That was like the first thing I noticed, and figured that's why Spy didn't have a witty retort or why nobody else said anything.

Captain Fun

Neo Member
Wow, I was really starting to think they'd squeezed as much out of TF2 as they were going to bother to.

Also, weird timing - is this going to take the place of a Halloween event this year?

I can't really imagine them doing two events/updates in fairly rapid succession.
I'd honestly be fine with them not doing a Halloween update this year. Last one was... eh.

Since this is day one of the update, I imagine the next few days will outline new weapons and Pyro changes. The update sounds a lot bigger than I thought.

Rockk

SAXTON HALE!

The only thing more surprising than that is...

A NEW PAYLOAD RACE MAP?

What the hell, who even plays plr anymore.

Hightower has consistently been one of the most popular and favorite pub maps since it's first release.

I personally don't like it but it's easy to see why they would create another one.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
just realized I stopped keeping up with the TF2 lore right around when that assistant lady showed up

SoulUnison

Banned
Hightower has consistently been one of the most popular and favorite pub maps since it's first release.

I personally don't like it but it's easy to see why they would create another one.

I don't -get- Hightower. People don't actually -play- it.
It's like they treat TF2-Hightower as some kind of interactive chat room with a minor competitive shooter element.

If you actually try to capture the point people (on your own team, even) will scream angrily at you.

Zia

The Yeti Punch taunt compilation video was funnier than anything in the short. Super bad, visually and writing-wise.

Welp. They have three more update pages to fix matchmaking. Let's see how this goes.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Payload and Payload Race have always low-key been the best gamemodes - that's why Overwatch pretty much lifted Payload wholesale.

A lot of people love Payload, but hate Payload Race. I love both, personally. I have only played on Payload servers for years at this point though.

Yukinari

Saxton having an official model and voice is the best part of day 1 of the update so far.

Not to mention more engie taunts.

The Dueling Banjo:
Celebrate one of the two things everyone remembers from the 1972 hillbilly horror classic Deliverance.

dead2.gif

Outside of tdm_hightower and tdm_spookytower, Payload Race doesn't have any maps that people remember or care about. In fact, it has four total maps officially, and no one's going to be able to draw you a map of plr_nightfall.

Payload itself has a bunch, including the best map in the entire game, Badwater. Honestly, the only problem with Payload is related to how it works in 6s. It could be fixed, but yeah.

KarmaCow

I was just about to delete TF2 but I guess I'll keep it around for another month. Though this is dropping in the middle of a packed few weeks in terms of updates for multiplayer games, not to mention all the new releases.

fhqwhgads

I should be excited, but I've been burned by too many TF2 updates to have any high expectations now, especially after the Matchmaking update turned out to be a huge dumpster fire. Fingers crossed, but I probably won't be jumping back into TF2 unless something really blows me away.

rrs

It's like they treat TF2-Hightower as some kind of interactive chat room with a minor competitive shooter element.

If you actually try to capture the point people (on your own team, even) will scream angrily at you.
I thought that was MARIO_KART or cyberpunk

So excited, sad to hear no new voice lines but yeah game's been out forever.

Engineer's voice actor is retired
Demoman and Heavy's voice actor is very, very old, possibly retired. He's also getting kind of weak at doing the voices.
Soldier's voice actor is old, possibly retired. Rumors he had some health issues.
Scout's actor is young and always available for voice lines
Spy and Pyro's actor is usually around for voice lines, don't know what's up with this update
Medic's voice actor is usually too busy to do much

Such is the problems of having a voice cast for a game that is updated for 10 years. They get old, or they get better gigs.

Blues1990

Love that the crater that Saxton Hale left behind is shaped like the continent of Australia.

Engineer's voice actor is retired
Demoman and Heavy's voice actor is very, very old, possibly retired. He's also getting kind of weak at doing the voices.
Soldier's voice actor is old, possibly retired. Rumors he had some health issues.
Scout's actor is young and always available for voice lines
Spy and Pyro's actor is usually around for voice lines, don't know what's up with this update
Medic's voice actor is usually too busy to do much

Such is the problems of having a voice cast for a game that is updated for 10 years. They get old, or they get better gigs.

Are soundalikes out of the question, specifically for the retired actors?

Are soundalikes out of the question, specifically for the retired actors?

Nolan North does a decent Grant Goodeve impression. Grant Goodeve's retirement status has always been up in the air, but it's mostly assumed he's retired. He could come back, who knows.

I'm mostly concerned about Gary Shwartz. Dude is really old. He hasn't voiced a character other than Demo/Heavy in 4 years. Those lines in the last few years were not good.

Dennis Bateman seems to love voicing the Spy, but hasn't done any other work in 3 years. He technically voices Pyro as well, but that role is very easily replaced.

I forgot about John Patrick Lowrie (Sniper). Tbh, that may have been him as Saxton. He's always around, Sniper usually gets a lot of lines

Nathan Vetterlein is always around for lines, evident by Scout being the only one with new lines in the trailer. He'll be voicing Scout long after the original actors are replaced. He loves the gig as well.

Rick May hasn't voiced anyone other than Soldier in a decade. Rumors were that Soldier was starting to hurt his voice, and he may have some medical issues, but nothing was ever confirmed. For his age, I have to say, Rick May (jeez the rhymes), is still very good at voicing Soldier

Robin Atkin Downes' career took off post Medic, and Medic hardly every gets lines. I think Medic would be really hard to replace, Downes has a unique way of doing him. TF2 fans have kind of just settled with the fact that Medic will never really have a ton of lines.

Ellen McLain probably doesn't need to do anything with TF2 anymore unless they make some new crazy game mode that requires specific new lines. They could also set it up to have Ashly Burch's character (Miss Pauling) be the announcer for that mode if they needed to (as she has for past updates).

Nolan North voices random NPCs and Engineer sometimes, and he's obviously always around for a gig.

breadtruck

this would have been really cool back in like 2011

also wow it's so jarring at how the original VOs aren't available anymore so it's just Scout and Saxton talking, everyone else is mute or uses a stock voice clip

Yeah, that bugged me as well.
It kinda makes ya think "ehh, why bother then?"

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

This is me right now. After all the lore it has come out it's impossible to imagine Spy and Scout together without the regular kind of banter. Now I just need that last comic so I can officially get closure to this franchise and Valve in general. The short was good, I guess? Didn't do anything for me, honestly. But I'm glad it exists at least.

as cool as it is to see a new tf2 update with the info rolling out over a few days again i really wish it was the heavy who won that event and was getting new items

i like pyro as much as the next guy but the heavy could really use more new stuff that the pyro

Ryoukai

Amazing, might jump back into the game again after years of not playing. Hopefully the upcoming days have something exciting beside hats.

cheez124

This was one aspect of TF2 I used to love. I used to go on idle and trade servers just to hang out and chat and meet people. I met a lot of good friends on Steam that way. It does suck when people try to do that kind of stuff on normal servers though

Bluth54

Amazing, might jump back into the game again after years of not playing. Hopefully the upcoming days have something exciting beside hats.

One of the TF2 developers Dave Riller did an interview back in Feburary where he talked about what would be in this update, some of the stuff that's confirmed to be in it include a new set of Pyro weapons (one of which appears to be a jet pack based on the short film), new weapon reblances based around high level/competitive feedback, a new "Choose Your Own Adventure" campaign system and an upgraded competitive matchmaking mode that will have placement matches and an ELO ranking system.

Crayolan

Hightower is secretly (except it's not a secret at all) a tdm map. That's part of the reason highertower is appealing, it's hightower but you won't cap even if you try.

Bluth54

Hightower is secretly (except it's not a secret at all) a tdm map. That's part of the reason highertower is appealing, it's hightower but you won't cap even if you try.

I have a friend that runs a hightower server with the carts removed and it's pretty well populated at night. People love Hightower TDM.

Top Bottom