• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•17-19•17 - King Kong dethroned as Disney continues to BEAST box office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of which, Boxoffice.com updated their long range forecast list.

Power Rangers remains at $38M opening and $110M total.
Life was bumped up to a $16M opening
CHiPs was bumped down to a $10M opening

Ghost in the Shell drops to $37M opening weekend and $95M total

Initial forecasts for Snatched and King Arthur were $25M OW/$85M total and $23M OW/$63M total respectively.

At least Guy Ritchie has Aladdin in the future (plus Sherlock Holmes 3 if they ever get around to it)!

It really depends on whether you can create a franchise with legs in the blockbuster space, which doesn't happen that often. That said, production studios as big as Universal or WB couldn't live on $5-20M films with limited overseas appeal, multimedia crossover, and merchandising opportunities. They should still aim for diversity in their film portfolios though.

That's solid for Power Rangers, depending on the international take. Budget is $105 million.

xaosslug

tho I've softened to Beauty's casting, I'm still bitter about the "my paw" part of Something There, negl! -_____________-

Nice that's it's no longer day and date with Blade Runner.

For sure. There's not much I would prioritize over Blade Runner 2049. Certainly not that movie. Gives it time to breathe now

As much as I'm meh on Matthew Vaughn I think Kingsman 2 will be pretty fun. With Colin Firth out getting Channing Tatum and Jeff Bridges to pick up the slack is awesome

And Julianne Moore is always great too

Beauty & The Beast is truly a beast at the box office.

I am surprised that The Belko Experiment did not do better. I imagined they would rake in that Purge money.

The film boasts a unique distribution strategy. “The Belko Experiment” opened in 1,341 locations, roughly a third of the theater count for a major studio offerings. The theaters are chosen because they are more popular with horror fans

How does this really help the film? Now that we are in a digital era, do you really save that much money by lowering your screen count that much?

It was basically dumped, so that's not surprising.

For sure. There's not much I would prioritize over Blade Runner 2049. Certainly not that movie. Gives it time to breathe now

As much as I'm meh on Matthew Vaughn I think Kingsman 2 will be pretty fun. With Colin Firth out getting Channing Tatum and Jeff Bridges to pick up the slack is awesome

And Julianne Moore is always great too

I love the new cast too but fairly certain Colin Firth isn't entirely "out".

kingsman-golden-circle-poster.jpg

soultron

Banned
Went to a 6PM Sunday showing for GET OUT and it was sold out in my city. Had the best time. Being in a packed theatre made the movie even better.

I must be the outlier that didn't like any of the music in Mulan. I have a love/hate relationship with that film. When it ditches Mushu/silly stuff and the musical numbers, and stays focused on the drama, it is stellar. But man, the songs and Mushu just drag it to a halt. It could have been so much better, and I am hoping they do some refinement when the live action one hits.

kswiston

I have never seen Mulan. It fell into that period where I didn't watch any Disney cartoons (basically post-Hercules to Tangled).

My soon to be 3 year old will be pretty pissed if they ditch Reflection

Speaking of 3 year olds, I'm sort of on the fence about taking my daughter to Beauty and the Beast. She likes the cartoon version, but live action + an almost 2.5 hour run time seems like a recipe for complaining to go home. I think I am leaning towards seeing it on netflix next winter.

Rth says the floor for Beauty today is $50M!!!

So, over Iron Man 3 at the very least. It would be funny if it managed to bump Civil War out of the top 5.

BumRush

Speaking of 3 year olds, I'm sort of on the fence about taking my daughter to Beauty and the Beast. She likes the cartoon version, but live action + an almost 2.5 hour run time seems like a recipe for complaining to go home. I think I am leaning towards seeing it on netflix next winter.

My wife made the decision for us as she's going with her friends, but I wouldn't have taken my daughter anyway. Disney cartoons were always around 90 minutes. 150 minutes is just too much to ask.

I must be the outlier that didn't like any of the music in Mulan. I have a love/hate relationship with that film. When it ditches Mushu/silly stuff and the musical numbers, and stays focused on the drama, it is stellar. But man, the songs and Mushu just drag it to a halt. It could have been so much better, and I am hoping they do some refinement when the live action one hits.

you don't like Mushu?! Or Make a Man Out of You?! Or True to your Heart?!

Phonciple plz...

man you just know they're gonna fuck up and cast Kevin Hart as mushu in the new one as well :(

Sorry, but Donny Osmond suddenly singing about making me a man just immediately takes me out of the film.

The songs themselves are great, but just jarring as fuck when implemented into that narrative. And Mushu is fun, but seems like a corporate driven decision to have a comedic sidekick tossed in for toy sales.

As I said, I have a love/hate relationship with the film. There is potential for something truly great in there. They just haven't tapped it yet.

This first teaser for Mulan was 10x more effective at delivering the drama and the feels than the final film. Notice the lack of comedy.

that's good. I think Lion King should ditch the songs too unless they get Hans Zimmer and Elton John back.

or maybe not even bother with the songs even if they could get them back. this 1:1 live action remake shtick is weak.

Bone trying to take roles away from me
you son of a

God,+I+pity+Me..jpg

that's good. I think Lion King should ditch the songs too unless they get Hans Zimmer and Elton John back.

or maybe not even bother with the songs even if they could get them back. this 1:1 live action remake shtick is weak.

As much as I love the music in The Lion King, I can agree with this. It would be very weird in live action. Although, they can easily redo the Circle of Life opening since none of the characters sing that. And that opening is still awesome and powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom