• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

I can't believe that Sonic 1 prototype has surfaced. I remember reading about that shit 10 years ago at Sonic Cult like it was the holy grail.

Part 2 is up, in which pokecapn dies while trying to find alternate routes.

I forgot that standard route in Chemical Plant even existed, lol.

Once you find the route that skips any water section in modern chemical plant (no doubt when going for the trophy/achievement) there is no going back, it becomes the standard route.

You can skip the water? :O
Yah, completely. When you get to the first 2D part, you can just jump on the upper yellow path instead of the lower one, leading to a higher path in the stage that shoots you into the water slide. Later on, there are other jumps that, if you make, you can just fly over most obstacles.

Example

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Once you find the route that skips any water section in modern chemical plant (no doubt when going for the trophy/achievement) there is no going back, it becomes the standard route.
Remember how when we tried to get that trophy the first time and we said it was so hard? It took me a while to get it.

But now it's so easy. That's goes for a lot of the better paths in this game. Hard the first time, but you can't go back after using them.

Remember how when we tried to get that trophy the first time and we said it was so hard? It took me a while to get it.

But now it's so easy. That's goes for a lot of the better paths in this game. Hard the first time, but you can't go back after using them.

Back in the day (all 3 months ago) it was like a particularly perplexing puzzle, I used to always fall down the gap that leads to the water shortly after the slide and skydiving section, eventually you just beat the jump timing for the better routes into your head through repetition.
Crisis City in particular, I can never go back to those low routes made for peasants, I'm above such things now in more ways than one.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So I went to purchase Sonic 233, the recent Sonic Universe issue, and the recent Sonic Super Special, and I have a bit of a rant, Sonic-GAF.

Why is it that a lot of the times when I buy a comic book or a game, I'm always asked if what I'm buying is a gift for someone? Why is it difficult to believe that the game/comics I'm purchasing are for me? I thought it was common knowledge that a lot of females play games or read comics now. :/

Also, since this is a tad relevant, Retro Gamer didn't really like Sonic Generations 3D much. They gave it a 68%. The issue is still in my backpack, but from what I could tell from flipping through the magazine prior to purchase, they didn't think it was a very good homage to the rest of the series.

Gravijah

Why is it that a lot of the times when I buy a comic book or a game, I'm always asked if what I'm buying is a gift for someone? Why is it difficult to believe that the game/comics I'm purchasing are for me? I thought it was common knowledge that a lot of females play games or read comics now. :/

'cause people is dumb, my friend. PEOPLE IS DUMB.

So I went to purchase Sonic 233, the recent Sonic Universe issue, and the recent Sonic Super Special, and I have a bit of a rant, Sonic-GAF.

Obviously it's not common enough. The number of females admitting to playing games has increased, but people will still be surprised to see female video game fans.

Sciz

I'm not sure that it's gender so much as age, in this case. Archie's lineup in general is aimed at kids, and the officially licensed spinoff of a video game series that's also aimed at kids gets an extra share of the stigma.

Is Universe #37 in stores yet?

I'm almost sort of caught up on the main series, just finished that Enerjak arc that wrapped up in #184. Great stuff.

It's especially enjoyable since I'm not getting setups for dropped plot lines and pointless love triangles shoved down my throat.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
'cause people is dumb, my friend. PEOPLE IS DUMB.
You'd think people would get the idea by now, though. :/

Obviously it's not common enough. The number of females admitting to playing games has increased, but people will still be surprised to see female video game fans.
It's so strange. Going back to 2006 when I first started uni and played my DS before classes started, people were pretty surprised at the sight of a female playing something that wasn't Mario. But as the years went by, bringing portables and playing them during breaks or something, no matter your gender, seemed like a natural thing.

So I'm surprised it continues when I go into game stores or game departments to buy games. The odd thing is that... like, if I purchase something by NIS, Sonic, Nintendo or FF or something like that, I'm not questioned. But if I purchase something like Darksiders, Resonance of Fate, or Darksiders, I get, "Is this for your boyfriend?" or "Is this a gift for someone?"

I don't really mind half of the time, but depending on the day, I get a little annoyed.

I'm not sure that it's gender so much as age, in this case. Archie's lineup in general is aimed at kids, and the officially licensed spinoff of a video game series that's also aimed at kids gets an extra share of the stigma.

Is Universe #37 in stores yet?
Nah, I got #36 because I didn't buy it last time. Luckily it was still in the stand.

That age issue might be part of it. I get carded sometimes when I buy lottery tickets, but sometimes they let it slide. But the clerks emphasize that I have to give them my ID when I buy a Sonic comic (or even a gaming magazine) with a lottery ticket.

Though I was asked the "is this for someone else" question even when I purchased Wolverine And The X-Men and Sonic last month. :S

OMG Aero

Because Sonic is for only the manliest of men.

Dr564.jpg

Sciz

To paraphrase what I said to the guy who bought Sonic '06 on account of my gushing over the music, your ill-advised purchases are your fault and yours alone.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So...I just started replaying Sonic Generations, and I hated it at first, plus I didn't play it much due to Kirby/Skyward Sword, but now I'm liking it after I spent some time with it. 100%'d Green Hill and Chemical Zone tonight. :)

Question though. Are the rewards for each mission pre-set, or is it random?

So...I just started replaying Sonic Generations, and I hated it at first, plus I didn't play it much due to Kirby/Skyward Sword, but now I'm liking it after I spent some time with it. 100%'d Green Hill and Chemical Zone tonight. :)

Question though. Are the rewards for each mission pre-set, or is it random?

You mean the Artwork/Music? They unlock in a set order regardless of the specific Red Ring/Note you collect.

OMG Aero

why can't he just post the entire lp nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Because having all the videos available at once would make for a shitty SA thread and I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to just post a video dump anyway.

On the topic of Sonic let's plays there is another great one going on right now if anyone wants more to watch.
For Sonic's anniversary two guys are going through all the major Sonic games from Sonic 1 to Generations along with some side games along the way.

Here are the games they have already done:
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic Spinball
Sonic CD
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Knuckles' Chaotix
Sonic 3D Blast
Game Gear Titles
Sonic R
Sonic The Fighters
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Pocket Adventure
Sonic Shuffle
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Sonic Advance

And they are also going to do Advance 2, Sonic 2006, Unleashed, Sonic 4, Colours, Generations and some other side games that they aren't going to reveal until they get to them.
The guys are pretty funny so even though they talk about non-Sonic things a fair bit it's still a great LP and it's particularly good when they get to the terrible games or just utterly choke and do horribly (See: Sonic 2).
The SA thread for it is here but in case that's locked out for non-members like it is from time to time you can just watch the videos on Youtube here.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

And sad, bitter men like me who desperately want to go back to their childhood because everything was better back then ;_;

Also, I guess comics like Sonic are just considered as being for children, which is why clerks assume it'll be a present.
I hope clerks ask the same when people buy shitty super hero comics.

J@hranimo

Banned
Because having all the videos available at once would make for a shitty SA thread and I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to just post a video dump anyway.

On the topic of Sonic let's plays there is another great one going on right now if anyone wants more to watch.
For Sonic's anniversary two guys are going through all the major Sonic games from Sonic 1 to Generations along with some side games along the way.

Here are the games they have already done:
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic Spinball
Sonic CD
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Knuckles' Chaotix
Sonic 3D Blast
Game Gear Titles
Sonic R
Sonic The Fighters
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Pocket Adventure
Sonic Shuffle
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Sonic Advance

And they are also going to do Advance 2, Sonic 2006, Unleashed, Sonic 4, Colours, Generations and some other side games that they aren't going to reveal until they get to them.
The guys are pretty funny so even though they talk about non-Sonic things a fair bit it's still a great LP and it's particularly good when they get to the terrible games or just utterly choke and do horribly (See: Sonic 2).
The SA thread for it is here but in case that's locked out for non-members like it is from time to time you can just watch the videos on Youtube here.

Great find. I started watching with Knuckles Chaotix simply because I've never seen a playthrough of this game before. I think that game is pretty underrated although it has its flaws. I'll definitely be watching this series.

Now I want to play the co-op with a friend now :p

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Great find. I started watching with Knuckles Chaotix simply because I've never seen a playthrough of this game before. I think that game is pretty underrated although it has its flaws. I'll definitely be watching this series.

If you actually played the game you wouldn't think so :p It's honestly not a very good or fun game, and the tethering mechanic is nothing but a pain in the ass. Level design isn't all that great either, tbh. At least it had nice graphics going for it.

I'd say level design is the weakest part of Knuckles Chaotix. There's almost nothing to it. Most levels are just mazes where you start at the bottom of a level and from left to right to left until you reach the top.

Combine that with terrible controls that swing between being a total bitch to use properly (e.g. trying to use the combi ring as intended) or way too easy (just hold your partner the entire time and become basically invincible) and you have one awful game.

It's a shame, really. I really like the setting, the visuals, and the music. But the most important bits are crap.

I keep wishing for a ROM hack or something that just makes a normal Sonic game with those assets.

OMG Aero

Oh man the Knuckles Chaotix video is hilarious.
I lost it when they kept having to restart the game and did their intro over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom