• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman Admits Testimony In The Murder of Emmet Till Was Made Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

LifEndz

One of the rare times I find myself hoping there's a higher power that will be a source of retribution for this despicable person. The things they did to that boy and that picture of his corpse will forever be with me, and I wouldn't wish what happened to him or his family on anyone.

So you consider her just as guilty as the two men who committed the murder?

Yes...in fact I would even lay more blame on her. Those savages acted out and thought they were somehow justified in their actions.

This sadistic peice of shit. Knowingly and willingly fabricated a story to illicit or manipulate a reaction from the aforementioned Neanderthals. That shit is down right sinister.

Man the evil white people have invited unto black people. America is lucky that black people have so much love and forgiveness in their hearts. Because ya'll are lucky that these actions haven't radicalized more black folks into the likes of Chris Garner and Micah X Johnson.

Note: I am not condoning or supporting the actions of those individuals. But I am saying they were frustrated and filled with hate for a system they believed hated, persecuted and failed them for simply being Black.

Caelus

Again. I have no sympathy for this woman. Her story led to one of the most unimaginable awful murders in US history, I am not defending her.

If I'm being too even handed, I apologize.

Just stop, at this point. There isn't some greater argument or win or moral standard to uphold.

Vice

Again. I have no sympathy for this woman. Her story led to one of the most unimaginable awful murders in US history, I am not defending her.

If I'm being too even handed, I apologize.

She lied which lead to a kid getting killed and didn't say anything for 60 years. She's a piece of shit to the highest degree. She pretty much loaded the gun and handed it to his murderers which is just as bad.

Enzom21

fd6.gif

I just don't really have the time or patience about this lady unless it involves full conviction for conspiracy to murder. They'll hunt Nazis until they die but this lady hiding out in this country. A college student can find her but she gets to live in freedom. I'll be okay if they drag her carcass into jail even for a week. Let her know freedom stolen. One of the most repugnant humans you'll ever read about. It's been hard for her?

Look, shit was fucked up around the time and location of the case and this Woman probably did what she had to do to cover her ass.

But FOH if she's going to give this half assed apology decades later not out remorse, but to fucking promote her book?

I'm sure her life wasn't made easy by the case, but she played a part in getting a man killed.

Look, shit was fucked up around the time and location of the case and this Woman probably did what she had to do to cover her ass.

But FOH if she's going to give this half assed apology decades later not out remorse, but to fucking promote her book?

I'm sure her life wasn't made easy by the case, but she played a part in getting a man killed.

kid*

celljean89

Neo Member
fuck her, if there is a hell, I hope she's burns, I hope she's died horribly, again fuck this human, and fuck her shitty regrets.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I don't think this is entirely accurate. The comments were for someone else's book - and her own memoirs are not for sale and won't be available for public view at all until 2036

She lied which lead to a kid getting killed and didn't say anything for 60 years. She's a piece of shit to the highest degree. She pretty much loaded the gun and handed it to his murderers which is just as bad.

Yup. This. Exactly this. And I don't wanna hear no "Now it's time to heal" bullshit either.

How did the Tulsa massacre happen? Gee I wonder...

Nepenthe

Man the evil white people have invited unto black people. America is lucky that black people have so much love and forgiveness in their hearts.

America is also lucky we never had the numbers. I have no doubt that any ethnic minority demographic with comparable numbers to the ethnic majority would tolerate the kind of shit we've tolerated from white people for as long as we have without revolts of some sort. Forgiveness is as much a survival mechanism as it is a character display.

andthebeatgoeson

Her life was easy because her input didn't involve her being dragged out of bed in the middle of the night, to the horror of her family, to be killed, while her murderers get away with it.
Yeah, worse. This was a kid. That mother was a saint for the open casket.
I don't think this is entirely accurate. The comments were for someone else's book - and her own memoirs are not for sale and won't be available for public view at all until 2036
Which is worse. She wants to die peacefully, at home. Why can't they subpoena those works? Why can't they force a release if they have evidence of a crime?

How privileged she is.

Let's start the chant guys: Lock her up!

So you consider her just as guilty as the two men who committed the murder?

You have to think she played an equal part,if not pivotal in allowing the killers to go free. She committed perjury, which is no small thing. She actively helped free murderers, monsters even, I don't know, that's pretty awful to me.
Now back then, they probably would have set those men free cause, well, 1950's south.
Anyway, this story is terrible and tragic.

My b, I knew he was a kid but just used it in the general sense.

Fine, lets say she was promoting someone else's book then. Even if it was just to get it off her chest, it still makes it seem very opportunistic and almost flippant how long she kept the lie going for.

Forgiveness is as much a survival mechanism as it is a character display.

Ain't that the truth.

Can't get too uppity either. Can't fight back. Can't start nothing.

Gotta know your place. Even in 2017 the GOP and many Americans want to make sure minorities feel like lesser humans, even if they have to lie to do so.

We've even got Police responding to assault cases by assaulting the victims a second time. In 2017.

BajiBoxer

Banned
That I don't. Because I don't know if she knew what would happen.

That's literally the only opinion I have expressed in this thread and I'm being treated like it's a ridiculous monstrous opinion. It's not because she's white, I would give anyone the same legal consideration.

I understand this is an emotional place, rightfully so. So I'm leaving the thread. This isn't about not caring about anyone, it's just about the culpability of a murderer compared to a liar.
Listen, she was an adult in an enviroment where this sort of thing had been done before multiple times during her life. It was a well known thing. It's not overly emotional to consider her culpable for murder, it's logcally probable. You are not being even handed. You're for some reason pushing a very low odds explanation that ignores history, her proximity to that history, and her mental competence as an adult.

The whole Emmett Till story stands out from the many examples of American racism.

-Emmett's father, Louis Till, was a troubled man who was given a choice between jail or enlistment in the Army. He chose the Army and was deployed to Italy in 1943. He was accused and convicted of rape and murder, then hung in a sketchy military trial. (For context, of the 98 American soldiers executed for crimes of rape & murder during WWII, 83% were Black soldiers, while just 8.5% of US Army personnel were Black)

-Emmett Till's murderers were paid out money to recount their story of murder.

I remember when I had first heard about this case, I was at a UCSB summer program in the summer between 8th and 9th grade, and the racial history class we had played a YouTube video which had a sad song played as a slideshow of Emmett, including his mutilated face played.

I'm black, so I had a black history encyclopedia growing up, and had already read about lynchings and other brutalities on my own accord many times, but I hadn't experienced a story that up close and personal, I almost cried and the music and image stayed with me for awhile.

Reading the Variety article, the description of her "tender sorrow" irritated me, but ultimately this changes nothing as to my opinion on "justice".

I believe the purpose of prison should be rehabilitation or humane containment if someone's too dangerous to be let into society, and charging her would achieve neither of those things, it would only be a symbolic arrest (and my opinion on this also extends to the absurd notion that she or anyone in existence should burn for eternity) which really isn't needed in my opinion, not shaming anyone who feels like that though.

Hopefully she recognizes the weight of her actions and raised her children to be better than she was, though as someone with no particularly strong familial relations, it's hard for me to imagine standing by someone who did something like this even if they were my parents.

One of many cases of white women getting black men murdered or jailed based on blatant lies. The role white supremacy has played in punishing/policing interracial relations (platonic, nonexistent, and sexual) between black men and white women can't be ignored.

n64coder

I just don't really have the time or patience about this lady unless it involves full conviction for conspiracy to murder. They'll hunt Nazis until they die but this lady hiding out in this country. A college student can find her but she gets to live in freedom. I'll be okay if they drag her carcass into jail even for a week. Let her know freedom stolen. One of the most repugnant humans you'll ever read about. It's been hard for her?

I don't condone what she did and I agree that it was wrong. What her husband and brother-in-law did was the worse. Keep in mind that she probably had some fear of her husband that caused her to do what she did.

In any case, I wonder if we could contact the Mississippi DA and petition that she should be brought to trial for perjury? I agree with the Nazis analogy that just because it happened 60 years ago, it doesn't mean she goes free without repercussions.

I'll read the article later. Looks like the book is coming out next week so I'll want to buy a copy for my Kindle. Definitely one of the worse incidents in American History and it's one we should never forget.

RS4-

Everyone involved in his death should be dead aside from Till.

Fuck people.

Edit - and considering the time this happened, sure most of them probably are, still doesn't make it ok. Fuck em and their families.

It annoys the shit out of me that the author (Timothy Tyson) sat on this for ten years and is only sharing it now to promote his book.

Vice

Is that the black bloke that got lynched for wolf whistling at the white woman?
Yup, for the grand crime of whistling* at a white woman a 14-year-old got kidnapped at gunpoint in the middle of the night, beaten for hours, shot and then head his dead body violated further.

*No whistling occurred as revealed by accuser in 2017.

Stories like Emmit Till's are what get at me when certain "people" like to rail on about how much worse or even violent society is now, and how much better things used to be, back when a group of grown men could beat, torture and murder a 14 year old boy, basically brag about it and show no remorse, and get away scot free. "Greatest generation" indeed.

At the same time you look at stuff like Trayvon Martin or Tamir Rice and it's depressing how little has changed in 60 years.

qcf x2

Stories like Emmit Till's are what get at me when certain "people" like to rail on about how much worse or even violent society is now, and how much better things used to be, back when a group of grown men could beat, torture and murder a 14 year old boy, basically brag about it and show no remorse, and get away scot free. "Greatest generation" indeed.

At the same time you look at stuff like Trayvon Martin or Tamir Rice and it's depressing how little has changed in 60 years.

I was about to say... let's not act like this doesn't still happen, whether by law enforcement or good ole white/light civilians.

But you should know that when people romanticize about virtually any bygone era they do so from the assumed white and/or privileged perspective.

She wasn't a 10 year old simpleton. She was a 21 year old white woman living in Mississippi in 1955. She knew exactly what would happen to him.

She wasn't a 10 year old simpleton. She was a 21 year old white woman living in Mississippi in 1955. She knew exactly what would happen to him.

It's fucking asinine. It's completely fucking INSANE that someone would make excuses for her.

"Oh, maybe she has no idea what was going to happen."

EmmettTillLegacyFdn
‏@EmmettTill

Follow
More
#CarolynBryantDonham admits to lying @vanityfair #EmmettTill Fam would love to speak w/her if she has the courage

Im vehemently opposed to this. I am sick of Black families giving absolution to unrepentant murderers and killers. It's not healthy, it's not healing, and it's not empowering for our people to give remorseless criminals a pass. And if they do decide to do it, for God's sake, we dont need it televised. It's humiliating.

Im vehemently opposed to this. I am sick of Black families giving absolution to unrepentant murderers and killers. It's not healthy, it's not healing, and it's not empowering for our people to give remorseless criminals a pass. And if they do decide to do it, for God's sake, we dont need it televised. It's humiliating.

FUCKING COSIGNED A MILLION TIMES.

I caught a lot of heat here when I said something similar about the family of the victims of the Charleston shooting. This MUST stop.

Seesaw15

I'd stomp the fuck out of that old lady. Get the fuck out of her trying to make a buck of your crimes. Worthless piece of shit. I bet she'll be invited to the whitehouse for some kind of award.

I'm heated. Fuck.

Shit was crazy back then man, reading stories about the stuff that was done during lynchings is abhorrent. Castration of black men, genital mutilation of black people, tying them to a tree and torturing them before hanging them.

If you thought White Fragility was something now, they won't ever be able to look in the mirror and accept the shit that was done to black people. It was downright primal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom