• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central on US December NPD: PS4 sold 1,568,000 (238K Pro), XB1 sold 1,511,000

So is the Pro selling Low something Pro buyers should be concerned of?

we don't know yet
for the holiday period it's totally fine.
sure it was also the launch period and a new hardware release, so one could expect bigger sales, but they are not terrible at all. but sony really didn't promote the pro early and great. seems like this need a little more time.

the next months will tell, how the ps4 performs
when pro sales can offset a possible 4th year decline or even increase the total ps4 sales, that is mission accomplished

I'll bite.

How much by did X1S outsell PS4? How much has Pro sold?

Whichever is the greater figure should give you an answer to your assumption.

ill bite

H2CY2016
XB1: ~3618K
PS4: ~3509K
Gap: ~110K (3%)

Ps4 Pro sold 238k in December and XX in November
OFC some of those XB1 sales are original Xbox One sales and not 100% Xbox One S
do you wan't me to do some math? won't be 100% accurate, tho

Look I really think marketing and message is a huge factor you're ignoring.

There seems to be a big wad of Sony fans attacking me for merely insinuating that Scorpio can have greater fortunes than the PS4 Pro (which didn't even do that bad?!)

I don't care WHO wins, honestly the only thing I care about is that the industry has an active interest in it.

It has nothing to do with "Sony fans" we have history, no console that was more expensive, has sold better then the competition just due to power. Also Worldwide scorpio won't touch the pro, so I assume you mean just US?

1.3 to 6 terraflops. more ram. better or new cpu.

ms can cancel the xbox one anytime and call scopio xbox two if they want.

Yeah, it's not that easy, publishers and the market has to want to go that way, and pubs will focus on Sony's massive install base. That would be suicide as most would just buy Ps4 slim. MS is not in a position to be able to do whatever they want.

Nobody is attacking you man. We just trying to discuss with you based on the arguments you bought to the table.

You compared Scorpio with a iPhone upgrade, people said why they don't think it makes sense.

You compared Scorpio with Windows, again some presented an argument why this might not be the best analogy.

Disagreeing with you is not attacking.
This, it's a discussion, no one is attacking anyone.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Look I really think marketing and message is a huge factor you're ignoring.

There seems to be a big wad of Sony fans attacking me for merely insinuating that Scorpio can have greater fortunes than the PS4 Pro (which didn't even do that bad?!)

Or for even daring to say that they have the capacity to call Scorpio the nextbox

I don't care WHO wins, honestly the only thing I care about is that the industry has an active interest in it.

Nobody is attacking you man. We just trying to discuss with you based on the arguments you bought to the table.

You compared Scorpio with a iPhone upgrade, people said why they don't think it makes sense.

You compared Scorpio with Windows, again some presented an argument why this might not be the best analogy.

cakely

ms might have failed with the x1 thanks to the shitty reveal.

but i know that they are pretty good at marketing premium devices. surface went from nobodywantthis to the best selling windows tablet that everybody copies now.

they also made a $150 controller that beat everyone's expectations. nobody thought people are gonna shell this much for a controller, not even ms.

they will market the scorpio just fine.

Yeah, everyone wants to copy that Windows tablet. I bet Apple wishes that they had come up with an idea like that that first, but it's hard to innovate like Microsoft.

SOR5

It has nothing to do with "Sony fans"

Mate, I'm not stupid and I'm not fooled.

You get VERY familiar with people and the way their posts align over time, just like people have with mine.

Not saying "boohoo whoever challenges me from now on is just a fucking Sony fan" but you can really tell how and why some people antagonize you, and its fairly obvious

Its fine I invite people to disagree with me, the worlds not an echochamber and it creates discussion, just don't like it getting rude or anything like that (which fair enough, I've been guilty of many times)

Im not stubborn either, serious I've been convinced that I'm wrong many times and had my mind changed alot, I read your posts and its good arguments

Pretty cool to see strong numbers by both... Best thing for hardware from either party being better or better value is healthy sustained competition.

Anecdotally, I've heard a few people either explained to in-store or told me directly that they thought the Pro was designed for 4K TVs, but in so far as that you'd only buy a Pro if you had a 4K TV. Or, at the very least, it was unclear enough that they didn't seem interested in a Pro.

Pro is a pretty great name, and I think their advertising has been OK, too, IMO (for what it's worth, I've studied/researched consumer behaviour academically for 3 years after I formally graduated; I'm no expert or professional, but at least in theory they've hit a lot of the right notes), so I don't think it's on Sony's marketing. I think part of it is purely that 'any' upgrade unit is always going to face some level of consumer confusion, especially when the name is related to, say, performance or features rather than just its physical design (e.g. slim). Wii U had the same problem; I'm sure the Scorpio will. So when there's uncertainty about a product, and therefore uncertain demand for it (there's much more clear consumer demand for, say, a PS5 or a iPhone 8 than changing your PS4 to a Pro or adding 4GB RAM to your PC because it's at the margins rather than generational) I think a lag like this is somewhat natural. Always going to be just the sophisticated consumers that early adopt as long as it's an optional 'upgrade' (and not at release, so genuinely an upgrade, unlike a iPhone 7 or 7+) rather than a generational 'replacement'.

The good thing is it should indicate more sustained sales throughout the year as more consumers consider upgrading, and it should be good for the Scorpio, too, because it better solidifies mid-generation marginal upgrades within consumers as a product, so it should cut down on the sort of pre-purchase process since basically slightly more folks will know 'oh, it's like a Xbox Pro I understand that I want that.'

MCD

Yeah, everyone wants to copy that Windows tablet. I bet Apple wishes that they had come up with an idea like that that first, but it's hard to innovate like Microsoft.

iPad Pro. pencil. flip keyboard. multitasking.

you need to look better next time.

Ōkami

Some of my data might be wrong, but.

PS4 flat from last December while XB1 is up but not by a month.

Both systems down YoY from 2015 as a whole, PS4 by 700k units, XB1 by less than 200k.

PS4 sold 5 m in 2016, LTD difference between the two around 1.5m.

Kayant

Decent win for Sony there. Has anyone else co-signed these numbers like ZhugeEX?

Reading this thread almost makes you think people where expecting >40% splits or something. Scorpio truly will be interesting to see how it performs and I would bet it do similar but better than the Pro is doing.

I think a lot of people have expectations that are skewed or too high for a premium product like pro compared to it's mainstream counterpart. It could better for sure but where it's at seems decent and for Sony it's meeting/exceeding demand they anticipated.
Shuhei Yoshida 6 Dec Interview said:
PS4 won by a nose
byanose60rw0.jpg

catmincer

Closer than i anticipated.

You know, depending on what you prefer in your 4KTV, they really can be found for cheap right now. I did a quick search on walmart.com and seen a 40" 4K tvs under $300. link

Like all TV Generations, if you want the latest tech inside these tvs, you will Always Pay more. So waiting for that FALD/QLED/DV/HDR10DYNAMIC/HDMI2.1SPEC to be 'cheap' wont happen.

Not where I live 4K TVs even the crap ones are $1500 whereas i can get a super high spec Sony FHD TV for $1000.

MCD

I can't even tell if you're serious anymore.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/19/9757326/ipad-pro-surface-pro-4-comparison-video

Apple may not want to admit it, but the iPad Pro is very much built in the image of the Surface Pro: a tablet with a connected keyboard, a stylus, and a stand to prop it up.

i'm not the one saying this you know. ipad is superior in many ways, sales among them of course. but saying apple isn't copying at least one or two features is silly.

Ōkami;228632789 said:
Some of my data might be wrong, but.

PS4 flat from last December while XB1 is up but not by a month.

Both systems down YoY from 2015 as a whole, PS4 by 700k units, XB1 by less than 200k.

PS4 sold 5 m in 2016, LTD difference between the two around 1.5m.

December
XB1: 1511K
PS4: 1568K
Gap: 57k (4%)

http://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-p...k-npd-dec-2016

XB1: ~4725k
PS4: ~5088k
Gap: ~363k (7,5%)

H2CY2016
XB1: ~3618K
PS4: ~3509K
Gap: ~110K (3%)

LTD
XB1: 15.85M
PS4: 17.5M
Gap: 1.65M (10,5%)

2015:
XB1: ~4930K
PS4: ~5720K

XB1: down ~205k YoY (-4%)
PS4: down ~632k YoY (-11%)

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/19/9757326/ipad-pro-surface-pro-4-comparison-video

i'm not the one saying this you know. ipad is superior in many ways, sales among them of course. but saying apple isn't copying at least one or two features is silly.

Everyone copies some things MS included, you made it out like surface was something revolutionary and everyone copied it, and keyboards for ipads existed a long time and so did stylist's, MS didn;t invent it, or multitasking. MS got into phones tablets because companies like apples beat them to it to begin with. Facts are facts apple is so dominant in that space they don't need to copy anyone.

MS just has to have a bomb presentation of the Scorpio in the next couple of months and then kill it at E3. Get Panos out there with one of those passionate tech showcases where he goes all 50 shades of grey on the thing. Basically the opposite of the pro reveal. That thing was a wet fart. Media will pick up on it fast if it seems like a winner and they'll start to get into the mainstream cycle.

You heard it here guys, ipads could not multitask until Surface came out lol. I am also pretty sure ipads had all of this prior to surface.

Nope. Windows had multi-tasking in Windows 8, which was release in 2012. iOS / iPads did not get multitasking until 2015.

When referring to multitasking, this isn't running stuff in the background. This is being able to snap multiple apps to the screen (like have Netflix running and Messenger snapped to the side).

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2015/06/08/ipad-split-screen-multitasking/

MCD

Everyone copies some things, you made it out like surface was something revolutionary, and keyboards for ipads existed a long time, MS didn;t invent it lol, or multitasking. MS got into phones tablets because companies like apples beat them to it to begin with,

of course. but no need to dismiss the surface like it's fucking trash. both excel at what they do.

and it's a revolutionary when everyone and their mother is copying the form factor. just like everyone copied the iPhone or ipad before it.

Nope. Windows had multi-tasking in Windows 8, which was release in 2012. iOS / iPads did not get multitasking until 2015.

When referring to multitasking, this isn't running stuff in the background. This is being able to snap multiple apps to the screen (like have Netflix running and Messenger snapped to the side).
Umm I do not believe this to be true, I have been able to do this on android and ios for years.

of course. but no need to dismiss the surface like it's fucking trash. both excel at what they do.

and it's a revolutionary when everyone and their mother is copying the form factor. just like everyone copied the iPhone or ipad before it.
No one did this...at all. Everyone and their mother is copying it? Where?

SOR5

MS just has to have a bomb presentation of the Scorpio in the next couple of months and then kill it at E3. Get Panos out there with one of those passionate tech showcases where he goes all 50 shades of grey on the thing. Basically the opposite of the pro reveal. That thing was a wet fart. Media will pick up on it fast if it seems like a winner and they'll start to get into the mainstream cycle.

Might get cackled at here but I still think Switchs role in the market is going to be interesting, I wonder how much it will eat into the others if its successful

Nah, dude will take like 30-45 mins to talk about the design philosophies and how the curves and edges make him awe. Panos is great, but he likes to take his time and talk about the product he is discussing lol.

Anyway, grats to Sony and MS on a great month. Balls in Nintendo's court now...
:3

SOR5

Nah, dude will take like 30-45 mins to talk about the design philosophies and how the curves and edges make him awe. Panos is great, but he likes to take his time and talk about the product he is discussing lol.

Anyway, grats to Sony and MS on a great month. Balls in Nintendo's court now...
:3

Panos can talk all he needs to as long as its solely confined to its own damn event and not whats meant to be a showcase for gaming software lol

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The Pro is a full $100 more than the PS4 and there were virtually no bundles or deals to had. They had a few here but nothing significant.

Meanwhile the vanilla PS4 could be had for $250 or less with good games bundled and was in virtually every major retail ad.

It's really not that much of a surprise that the gap between the Pro was so much

Bustanen

Anyone thinking MS is going to drop Xbone is insane. Not a single 3rd party would make a Scorpio exclusive, not even SQEnix.

How many times does it have to be said? Mass market doesn't care about 400-500 niche products if there is a 200 euro product already in the market that plays the same games.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
How? I don't think these are bad numbers for the Pro. You mean to tell me contributing about 20% of overall PS4 sales for the month isn't good? Especially when considering the deals for the much cheaper Slim? It will be similar with the Scorpio in that people will try and make fun of sales less than the cheaper more robust model. I don't agree with that notion at all.
In fact, Microsoft will heavily market Scorpio.

My assumption is that Microsoft wants the Scorpio to unseat the Xbox One as the main selling console as soon as possible. Those Pro sales indicate that that won't be happening anytime soon for Microsoft.

On the Plus side, Microsoft has a lot of time to adjust their strategy for Scorpio in terms of marketing and messaging. Hardware is locked obviously now. Also? These sales of the Pro all but confirm that Scorpio will not sell for a single dollar above $399. No fucking chance. Anyone still legitimately believing Scorpio will be higher than $399 (for an entry model) are more than likely "hoping" for a higher price.

Mainstream is not going to buy a 400 + console for 4k, over a 199 slim...not sure why people think otherwise. It's a product aimed at the hardcore already in the scosystem.

Kill3r7

I kind of want Panos to show this thing off too but if he does you can bet that the Scorpio will become his baby which I don't necessarily know if it is for the best or a good look for Phil. He is a much better presenter and sales person than Phil. Plus, I am convinced Panos could sell ice to an Eskimo.

Top Bottom