• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch up on Amazon.de - 329,99€

foxbeldin

That's a better example, yes, they are the same price.
But with my first message I'm not saying Nintendo is right, but that there's some reasoning behind their actions.

This reasoning didn't apply when the euro was much stronger and europeans actually paid more than americans. Suddenly, taxless price parity matters, because reasons.

stalker

That is what he is saying if you read again.

Nevertheless, the tax considerations are not valid justifications. 1€ = 1$ has been a standard for years on comparable products. The income of a US or EU citizen does not increase for exchange rates fluctuations.
Of course those fluctuations impact Nintendo but if the solution they find in Europe is to pass it to customers they will see the results.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Nope, I surely won't.... 80€ more are not exactly peanuts.

I would really have considered buying it at 250€

E-flux

How much did you guys think this was going to happen? this does not differ that much from any other console release price, Wii was 250 when it was released, and xbox360 was around 400..

Akai__

That is what he is saying if you read again.

Nevertheless, the tax considerations are not valid justifications. 1€ = 1$ has been a standard for years on comparable products. The income of a US or EU citizen does not increase for exchange rates fluctuations.
Of course those fluctuations impact Nintendo but if the solution they find in Europe is to pass it to customers they will see the results.

Derp. I read "was" instead of "wasn't".

Agree on the 2nd part, though.

kadotsu

Banned
Quick survey: What ambassador games would you like when the Switch drops to 250 in June? I'm hoping for Gamecube games. F-Zero GX in particular.

DragonNC

Another fail price GJ NINTENDO !!!

With price point (in my mind) of 250 euros I was heapy....now I'm not.
Well next pricedrop....

Over & out.

azyless

330, what the fuck ? So 400 if you want Zelda, 470 if you want a proper controller to play it.
I know what I'll be doing with that money.
Buy a PS4 and WiiU Zelda.

Quick survey: What ambassador games would you like when the Switch drops to 250 in June? I'm hoping for Gamecube games. F-Zero GX in particular.

It does not need any more than the usual suspects like Zelda and Pokemon, what it needs in the long run is a steady stream of 3rd party games just like all the other consoles.
If that's the case then Nintendo's choice of exclusives could be the deciding factor of a purchase for many.

Fliesen

330, what the fuck ? So 400 if you want Zelda, 470 if you want a proper controller to play it.
I know what I'll be doing with that money.
Buy a PS4 and WiiU Zelda.

i don't quite get this sentiment.

The Joycons + Grip look perfectly serviceable. - way more comfortable than the Wii U gamepad.

ty_hot

The pricing is incredible. 330 euros in Spain as well. +60 euros for a game and you are paying 390 euros. For 400 you can get a PS4 Pro with a Game. For 300 you get a PS4 with a game... in the 390 range you can get a PS4 with several games.

wrowa

How much did you guys think this was going to happen? this does not differ that much from any other console release price, Wii was 250 when it was released, and xbox360 was around 400..

Yesterday it was widely expected that Switch will launch at 250$/€, now it's 80€ more than that and 30€ above even the worst case predictions.

And for what? A very much underpowered console with a barren release schedule? The gimmick is nice, but people aren't going to pay the premium when there aren't even any interesting games available (apart of Zelda, that is). Especially not when you can just buy a new PS4 for 250€ on amazon...

I don't understand what Nintendo expects here. This not going to sell.

slash3584

The pricing is incredible. 330 euros in Spain as well. +60 euros for a game and you are paying 390 euros. For 400 you can get a PS4 Pro with a Game. For 300 you get a PS4 with a game... in the 390 range you can get a PS4 with several games.

I would also like to add that it seems that there are distribution problems (or at least they are expected) as Amazon.es pre-orders state a delivery date of the 7th or 8th of March (with premium express delivery).

TNH853

the price is just crazy.

ps4: 400$ = 400€
xbone: 500$ = 500€
switch: 300$ = 330€

nice move from nintendo

add to this a sd card and you are at 350€

Adry9

the price is just crazy.

ps4: 400$ = 400€
xbone: 500$ = 500€
switch: 300$ = 330€

nice move from nintendo

add to this a sd card and you are at 350€

what_year_is_it.jpg

To be honest I think people are too caught up with $300 should be €300 to ignore the fact that $300 shouldn't be the baseline at all due to many predictions of "can't be higher than 250". The more than $ stuff is a kick in the balls on top of that previous point.

That is so much more expensive than I expected. I don't get how Nintendo is the only company that can't set the price in the European market...
They got slammed big time for the price fixing they did in the 90s (was €149 million stalled paying for 7 years and appealed it down to €119 million because Nintendo cooperated with the EU on this) so now they are extra cautious. Plus it allows them to blame retailers for it being €330 when the wholesale prices and the suggested price don't leave the retailers with much choice.

Just saw this here on twitter:

Ridiculous!
One of those prices doesn't have taxes in it. One of their currencies is has been *sigh* made great again.
US dollar is the answer to both

By all means import form America but if you pay the taxes you're supposed to it's going to cost you more than it would have to buy it locally. Protip £280 is less than €330...sadly it's not much less so when you add in shipping it's no saving at all.

that's it yeah. €319.99 in Gamestop Ireland though for some reason.
Due to the plug sockets used in Ireland (type G, like UK) I imagine they get UK stock and well £280 is about €320.

I don't want Gamecube games to be ambassador only :(

azyless

i don't quite get this sentiment.

The Joycons + Grip look perfectly serviceable. - way more comfortable than the Wii U gamepad.
It doesn't to me but maybe time will prove me wrong. And the Wii U gamepad wasn't comfortable at all for me to use so that's not saying much.

GlamFM

Banned
PlmuLjV.png

Pre-Ordered both. Any German gaffer wants the one I don´t keep in case this thing becomes hard to get?

Discusguy

The Nintendo pricing is out of touch. Nintendo made my decision to get a
Scorpio.

I can't justify the that pricing for a Switch, Zelda, and a pro controller.

Rektash

That is well above what I consider a reasonable amount for the hardware we are getting here, so count me out for now.

I will have a look at the pricing when the new Shin Megami Tensei game gets released and reevaluate if I need this.

Top Bottom