• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity 2 announcement incoming?

Arulan

You're all wrong, it's an incoming Vampire The Masquerade announcement.....(I can dream can't I?).

It's very likely that the project Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky (Project leader and Art director of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines) are working on is related to the World of Darkness IP. It probably won't be announced anytime soon though.

I hope so.
PoE has been in my wishlist since day. Maybe a PoE2 will drop the price for the first or they will give it some sales to draw people into PoE2.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Recently beat hte first one finally. Loved it throughout but good lord those ending sequences. The build up the entire game for the payoff was amazing.

Budi

Bought the first game long time ago, only played for one hour so far, will buy this too. Even if not ever playing it, these are games I'm happy to support.

I don't think I'd back another Kickstarter after how mediocre the first one ended up, but I'm not without hope that they could make a sequel that was much better.

Mr T.

Banned
I still wish EA would contract them to make a sequel to KotoR for PC and consoles... As it seems like Bioware is to busy to be bothered.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I hope so.
PoE has been in my wishlist since day. Maybe a PoE2 will drop the price for the first or they will give it some sales to draw people into PoE2.

A sad but good point.

3vaadbZ.png

It's one of the rare games that gives you your moneys worth man, don't be ridiculous.

PoE is one of my favorite modern RPGs but, please, change the fucking engine.

totally agree. I really liked POE but I could not STAND the 30 second-1 minute loading times on every single transition. Defiance bay was just total hell.

(yes I deleted save files etc etc, have a good pc and all that). I mean my Skyrim or Titanfall 2 load times are like 5-7 seconds. No reason something "simpler" like POE should have 1 minute loading times all the time.

Project Lousiana really does sound like a new Fallout, but since I think they said they won't let Obsidian make another Fallout (or that their game wasn't canon), it has to be PoE2. Right? lol

Anno

I hope that they include the hover text they used in Tyranny. It would be a massive help with how text and lore heavy PoE is.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
PoE is an outstanding game that I think is a worthy heir to the CRPGs of old (Baldur's Gate & co.).

If they are doing PoE2, there is no way for me to throw money at them fast enough to convey how into this I am.

I just need to find time to play Tyranny now, since I have heard that game is awesome as well.

Anno

Just noticed there's a faint curly thing at the end of the pipe that maps to the "a" symbol in the Vailian alphabet from Josh's Instagram account.

Taruranto

I don't think I'd back another Kickstarter after how mediocre the first one ended up, but I'm not without hope that they could make a sequel that was much better.

The first one reception was overall kinda negative I think, or at least not positive as people expected. I do wonder how much this would affect a PoE 2 kickstarter.

I do hope at least they plan the next one better, the second megatown for example felt like a mistake for me.

Sarek

The first one reception was overall kinda negative I think, or at least not positive as people expected. I do wonder how much this would affect a PoE 2 kickstarter.

I do hope at least they plan the next one better, the second megatown for example felt like a mistake for me.

What? It has the highest Metacritic score of Obsidian's games, and also sold really well. Personally I think New Vegas is better, but I'd hardly call the reception negative in any way.

m_dorian

I love Obsidian but PoE kind of depressed me. I never liked the game's world, had trouble understand and believe the lore, godborn characters were looking terrible and the music made me feel very, very sad.
As for the story, it picked up for me when
i spoke to this certain person just before the end boss.

But i ll buy PoE 2 eventually, can't really pass on an Obsidian game.

Lister

Banned
DAY FUCKING ZERO.

Pillars is one of my favorite RPG's of all time. Can't wait to go back to that world.

Shinypogs

I'm in , I've put a tonne of time into multiple playthroughs of the first one. I'll be sad if they go the tyranny route and make your group smaller though. I like micromanaging the actions and equipment of a 6 man party.

Havel

PoE 2 has tons of potential. The first was flawed, but it was a good attempt at an old school CRPG. They have a good base to work off of.

The Wart

Opposite for me, I loved Tyranny, thought Pillars was OK.

And it's not like the combat really improved massively in Tyranny, it was just a relief there was so little of it.

I hope PoE2 is a pretty big overhaul if it's going to be as combat-heavy as the original. Going back to the BG games in between two PoE playthroughs really highlighted just how repetitive and uninteresting a lot of the combat was.

How recently have you played PoE? And did you play White March? The encounter and dungeon design in WM was A BIG step up from the base game. Makes me optimistic about PiIIars of E2nity.

Though I would really like Obsidian's next project after this to be less combat oriented.

Opposite for me, I loved Tyranny, thought Pillars was OK.

And it's not like the combat really improved massively in Tyranny, it was just a relief there was so little of it.

I hope PoE2 is a pretty big overhaul if it's going to be as combat-heavy as the original. Going back to the BG games in between two PoE playthroughs really highlighted just how repetitive and uninteresting a lot of the combat was.

I would go further and say combat was plainly worse in Tyranny, and it was a relief there was so little of it.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Pillars 2 will have fewer and more interesting combat encounters than the first game. Nearly every time someone asks Josh about mistakes with Pillars 1, he mentions the number of trash mobs. He has talked about getting more comfortable with a dungeon room or hallway not having enemies in it just to fill space. Pillars 2 will undoubtedly have more combat than Tyranny (to stay true to its BG roots), but I think we'll get a better balance between combat and role-playing.

kevin1025

Banned
So is there a chance it's announced on a stream tonight, or is this the beginning of an announcement that will stretch out?

They announced a stream at 4pm PST/7pm EST.

Anno

Hopefully tonight but I wouldn't be surprised if it dragged out a bit. Seems hard to drag it out a lot if they already have a forum set up though.

Altazor

totally agree. I really liked POE but I could not STAND the 30 second-1 minute loading times on every single transition. Defiance bay was just total hell.

(yes I deleted save files etc etc, have a good pc and all that). I mean my Skyrim or Titanfall 2 load times are like 5-7 seconds. No reason something "simpler" like POE should have 1 minute loading times all the time.

ugh, yes. Sometimes it takes like a couple of minutes and I just can't deal with it. Wonder if Tyranny (haven't played it yet) has the same problem?

anyway, I can't wait for PoE2. They have a good foundation upon which they can build an amazing game.

Nzyme32

Damn it, I don't want to see them drag out info dropping. Hope they are actually doing a stream soon to give some info

Pillars had such a steep difficulty curve. I had zero fun with that game. Though I do want to revisit it..maybe I was just playing it wrong.

dude

dude
Pillars had such a steep difficulty curve. I had zero fun with that game. Though I do want to revisit it..maybe I was just playing it wrong.

In a way, that's both true and false at the same time. There's a steep upward curve, followed closely by a steep downward curve later. The difficulty in the game is allll over the place.

It's still amazing though.

I'm gonna back this shit so hard. Ugh.

I wish they could have a full 3d engine like in Dragon Age Origins or NWN.

I rather they wouldn't. I mean, if they keep the camera static so I don't have to fiddle with it for a second, I guess I'd be alright with it, but I see no benefit.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble

Unfortunately that was an issue related to the version of Unity being used.

Anno

Josh was asked about loading times on I think every one of his developer commentary streams, and every time said with a lot of winks and nods that it could be sped up dramatically in some hypothetical sequel. So I'm hoping that's true!

Top Bottom