• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite (PC/PS4/XB1/Mac, Epic Games) enters early access on July 25

Elfstruck

Urgh, none of my friends want to try this but I kinda want to play. Is there matchmaking to allow me to join with other people?

The art style on this is so boring/unappealing to me but the mechanics seem interesting. The trailer is also surprisingly light on specifics and the website is basically unhelpful at best.

Is there any kind of persistence? Either in levels or character progression/loot?
Local co-op?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Any idea when the preload might be up for PS4 NA? Also we can't get our friend codes until the 21st @ 10am?
Preloads should start 2 days before launch per a Sony rep phone call, unverified.
Urgh, none of my friends want to try this but I kinda want to play. Is there matchmaking to allow me to join with other people?
There is a matchmaking lobby. You can make it private to play Solo or with friends or public to get matched up.
The art style on this is so boring/unappealing to me but the mechanics seem interesting. The trailer is also surprisingly light on specifics and the website is basically unhelpful at best.

Is there any kind of persistence? Either in levels or character progression/loot?
Local co-op?
The game is primarily mission based. Upon entering a mission, the map is procedural generated so that missions will unlikely be the same. There are however 4 maps representing difficulty levels (easy, medium, hard etc) where you can build a permanent base. In each of these maps your permanent base needs to be defend in order for it to be upgraded and unlock new ability/skills (related to the ability/skill tier tree).

The verbiage is pretty clear in one directly. If you purchase the PC version through their website, you also get it on PS4. However, I haven't seen anything stating that if you purchase it on the PS4 store that you will get the PC version. Not sure if it is deliberately vague or what, but it is clear that if you buy it on their website, you will get it on PS4. From their FAQ.

This is what I did since I had the alpha discount (bought on PC). Nothing in my PS4 account yet but we'll see tomorrow. Their forums are down to prep for release.

deoee

EQDfK0E.png

Teaser

J3ffro

This is what I did since I had the alpha discount (bought on PC). Nothing in my PS4 account yet but we'll see tomorrow. Their forums are down to prep for release.

A dev on reddit made that sound normal, and that it should fix itself in the next day or so. I'm guessing that they've said the same on their forums, but not being in the Alpha I have no access. :(

Just logged into my PSN account, still nothing for me either, but it clearly shows I've pre-ordered on Epic's site.

A dev on reddit made that sound normal, and that it should fix itself in the next day or so. I'm guessing that they've said the same on their forums, but not being in the Alpha I have no access. :(

Just logged into my PSN account, still nothing for me either, but it clearly shows I've pre-ordered on Epic's site.

Which region?

I'm in the UK and I'm preloaded and ready to go.

J3ffro

Which region?

I'm in the UK and I'm preloaded and ready to go.

Oh, duh, sorry. I'm in the US. There's nothing about Fortnite in my purchase history, and when I look at the product page, it invites me to add it to cart, instead of showing that I own it.

This is on the web version, not the console version. Daughter is currently occupying the TV.

Kin5290

Just exactly how incomplete is the early access beta supposed to be?

Charging for packages upwards of a hundred some dollars to beta test a to-be free to play game seems pretty sketchy. It's like the marriage of the worst aspects of both AAA and indie developed games: micro transactions, loot boxes, and preorder bonuses from AAA and selling the game to beta testers from indie.

It's a little confusing, as reading their website I thought we were preordering for a few days of early access prior to release of a feature complete game, and not preordering for a few days of early access, leading up to a few months of early access, prior to actual release.

Grisby

ThInking about checking this out on Xbox, although I'm curious to see how it will run. Might wait for a DF article or some impressions.

Charging for packages upwards of a hundred some dollars to beta test a to-be free to play game seems pretty sketchy. It's like the marriage of the worst aspects of both AAA and indie developed games: micro transactions, loot boxes, and preorder bonuses from AAA and selling the game to beta testers from indie.

It's a little confusing, as reading their website I thought we were preordering for a few days of early access prior to release of a feature complete game, and not preordering for a few days of early access, leading up to a few months of early access, prior to actual release.

The game even in alpha state like 2-3 months ago (when I last played heavily) was in excellent shape. Basically when I heard the game was going to release I actually thought they were going to skip beta and go straight to release, because I forgot it was an alpha product I had played.

They should of put up some kind of early access expectations list or something. I'm not sure what the plan is for beta tbh but I never really followed that closely during the few months of alpha I participated in. But the game I played never felt like an alpha.

ThInking about checking this out on Xbox, although I'm curious to see how it will run. Might wait for a DF article or some impressions.

I would be surprised if it isn't 1080p/60fps.

KodaRuss

Oh, duh, sorry. I'm in the US. There's nothing about Fortnite in my purchase history, and when I look at the product page, it invites me to add it to cart, instead of showing that I own it.

This is on the web version, not the console version. Daughter is currently occupying the TV.

Something is up with mine as well. I purchased it last night (I have the avatar to prove it) but it seems like something is up. I was trying to preload but its acting like I never bought it in my purchase history (nothing there). If I select the version I bought it shows me that I already own the pre order pack or something.

KodaRuss

Press embargo drops tomorrow so I bet we are going to get a lot of info then. I still have questions about the game but from what I have read, looks like this early access beta will have 5 maps (very very large maps if I am not mistaken) but it looks to include all of the heroes I believe.

Tecnniqe

Banned
OT is complete as far as my eyes see, guess it will go live about 24 hours before the launch on the 21st. So in about, 20 or so hours :)

Might be some interesting thing that drop during embargo lift.

killroy87

I'm sorry, I'm going to ask a super duper dumb question: If I go out and buy the retail copy of this game for PS4 on the 21st, what content am I not getting (or better yet, what am I getting)? The digital tiers for this on PSN are super confusing. I want to make sure I have all the characters, and like all the base content.

Also, will buying retail on PS4 also entitle me to a PC copy? How does that work?

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm sorry, I'm going to ask a super duper dumb question: If I go out and buy the retail copy of this game for PS4 on the 21st, what content am I not getting (or better yet, what am I getting)? The digital tiers for this on PSN are super confusing. I want to make sure I have all the characters, and like all the base content.

Also, will buying retail on PS4 also entitle me to a PC copy? How does that work?

The retail version of the game is equivalent to the Deluxe edition.

If you link your account over at Epic after purchasing a Founder's Pack on either platform (PC/PS4), you will be able to play on both.

killroy87

The retail version of the game is equivalent to the Deluxe edition.

If you link your account over at Epic after purchasing a Founder's Pack on either platform (PC/PS4), you will be able to play on both.

Cool, I'll do some research into the Deluxe edition. Thanks!

I don't think buying PS4 gets you a PC copy. From what I understand though is that they can share the same save data.

If you buy the deluxe edition you do start with 1 of each hero. But I don't think it's important to start with 1 of each as you'll unlock heroes through progression and pinatas anyway.

KodaRuss

OT is complete as far as my eyes see, guess it will go live about 24 hours before the launch on the 21st. So in about, 20 or so hours :)

Might be some interesting thing that drop during embargo lift.

Thanks for doing it. I am looking forward to reading more about it tomorrow. Busy day with Splatoon 2 dropping as well.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I don't think buying PS4 gets you a PC copy. From what I understand though is that they can share the same save data.

If you buy the deluxe edition you do start with 1 of each hero. But I don't think it's important to start with 1 of each as you'll unlock heroes through progression and pinatas anyway.
If you link your account via https://www.epicgames.com/account/connected you get access on both PC and PS4 as well as cross-progression.
Thanks for doing it.
:ThumbUp:

Cynn

Does Xbox also share save data with all versions?

So I just preordered it. Shows up in my purchase history. The launcher was trying to repair my manually deleted fortnite alpha. I told it to uninstall instead. Now I have to wait for the game to launch like everyone else. Looking forward to it!

Is it just me or is it a little odd that a game that's going to be F2P next year has a $60 early access physical release this week?

JPS Kai

I ran into something similar moments after redeeming a Deluxe Founder's Pack. Doesn't show in my purchase history but I am not allowed to purchase any flavor of Fortnite because it says I already own it.

Is it just me or is it a little odd that a game that's going to be F2P next year has a $60 early access physical release this week?

Maybe 5-10~ years ago. Even 5-10 years ago we had games release as pay to play, sometimes with subscriptions, then later converting to f2p.

Nowadays it's pretty normal to have paid early access. Even paladins had founder's pack buy in for access before open beta where it went full f2p.

Sölf

Just bought it on Amazon, where the 60€ version only costs 40€.

Also, I didn't know you could sell early access games for console via Amazon. The more you know, eh?

I just hope this game already has enough content at the moment to warrant the full price tag.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Sölf;243935913 said:
Just bought it on Amazon, where the 60€ version only costs 40€.

Also, I didn't know you could sell early access games for console via Amazon. The more you know, eh?

I just hope this game already has enough content at the moment to warrant the full price tag.

Well its a full retail release so """Early Access"""

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Sölf;243935913 said:

There's about 300 hours between start and the game's current "end game." Which is to say, the team will continue to add content to the game through the early access period and beyond, so... yeah, there's a lot of stuff to do, see, collect, etc. Lots of game here already!

Tecnniqe

Banned
There's about 300 hours between start and the game's current "end game." Which is to say, the team will continue to add content to the game through the early access period and beyond, so... yeah, there's a lot of stuff to do, see, collect, etc. Lots of game here already!
Can't wait!

deoee

Oh that sounds very rich.

Didn't know we had someone from the team in here :D

Top Bottom