• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Odyssey digital = 51$

DoornicK

Neo Member
Just wanted to ask again, did anyone who did this receive account creation/order confirmation emails yet?

I did everything and the only email i received was about changing the default language to English. The preorder is listed on My Orders, so unless there is a problem with the payment everything should be OK i guess.

suberzat

Getting mine almost for free at Best Buy. GCU + $10 coupon you get for pre-ordering + $25 in reward certificates for buying items over the months at Best Buy :)
Are you getting physical or digital copy? I asked because I thought GCU is only for physical copies.

Bakercat

You'll also pay sales tax, which of course depends on your location. In my case, the sales tax basically ate up the benefit of getting the physical copy.

I also used my Amazon Visa card, which gets another 5% off. Cool, if it works!

Yeah, I live in a state that has low taxes so I pay at most like 2$. I also use the amazon Visa card so I get the 5% credit back, so I guess it pays my taxes at least.

maxcriden

I always see people say this and I've never had a problem with Amazon except with Pokemon Sun where I ordered it 4 days prior. I bet that putting down a preorder earlier helps against that. Not defending Amazon, as it sucks that they do this but just something I noticed.

I've put preorders down very early and I know others on GAF who have had the same issue have done so also, so I'm not sure there's rhyme or reason to that degree regarding this issue. But, I am sincerely happy for you that you didn't have an issue with them in most cases. It's just unfortunate they are so scattershot in their reliability with compared to Best Buy.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
An easier way of doing this would just be ordering the game digitally through Best Buy — they’re offering a $10 Reward certificate for digital pre-order of the game so your net cost would be $49.99.

maxcriden

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably just stick with the amazon preorder for now because I won't really have much time to play it until Sunday anyway due to my work schedule that weekend, but it's good to know

NP, and hopefully it will arrive for you on release day so you can get to play it even for a short while as soon as possible.

IMACOMPUTA

Go to your account settings and add your normal billing address (there's an option for international addresses you'll probably have to click).

Thanks for the help to people in this thread BTW. Bought! (Saves 15$ in Canada).
That's what I needed. Thanks!

MTC100

Banned
Guys, if you're from Europe, get the free trial for amazon prime on amazon.fr and order the game from there, it's even less expensive than the Japanese code:

nice82jbp.png

-And you don't have to pay transaction fees because of paying in Yen.

forrest

formerly nacire
First game since BotW that I've wanted a physical version of so I'm passing. I do have Amazon Prime so I'm getting 12% off for my preorder.

Nice to see a digital sale on a new first party title though!

Aw crap, I'm about to click "buy" but didn't consider this. This would mean I don't get any points on my Nintendo account, wouldn't it?

Although I'd still get to play it early...

edit: And it comes out to $64.52 Canadian, so I guess I'm saving enough money that I could just buy whatever eshop game they're offering to make up for it.

I don't understand why people bother making a separate Nintendo account just to buy games in other regions. Just change your own account's region settings. I'm in Canada and I switch to Japan and Mexico all the time, it takes literally seconds. This way all of my games are tied to just one account, all My Nintendo coins are for that one account and if I ever get a new Switch, I only need to remember the log in details for one account.

So, I can play this on my NA account by just switching region to download and then I can switch back no problems?
Yes, as detailed above, I have done this many many times. It works without a hitch. Only issue will be your news feed will contain Japanese stories for a short time.

Cizard

I don't understand why people bother making a separate Nintendo account just to buy games in other regions. Just change your own account's region settings. I'm in Canada and I switch to Japan and Mexico all the time, it takes literally seconds. This way all of my games are tied to just one account, all My Nintendo coins are for that one account and if I ever get a new Switch, I only need to remember the log in details for one account.

I have a seperate one for the japanese shop cause it doesn't accept my credit card or paypal and as far as I know it still gets rid of leftover money in your account if you switch. Which will rarely be 0 because of this.

For any country that does accept my card I just switch my main account for a bit as well.

Guys, if you're from Europe, get the free trial for amazon prime on amazon.fr and order the game from there, it's even less expensive than the Japanese code:

nice82jbp.png

I´m about to do this.

Just to confirm, i can then redeem the code on my austrian eshop and account, right? No need to create a french account.

Edit: Apparently not? Ehhhhhhh, i think i just get the amazon.de code. It will be like 10 bucks more or whatever, but it will be tied to my account. Don´t wanna deal with multiple accounts that have different games tied to it. Oh well.

Rizific

with or without tax? GCU probably still a better deal and for a physical copy that should fetch some good trade in value some years down the road.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I´m about to do this.

Just to confirm, i can then redeem the code on my austrian eshop and account, right? No need to create a french account.

Edit: Apparently not? Ehhhhhhh, i think i just get the amazon.de code. It will be like 10 bucks more or whatever, but it will be tied to my account. Don´t wanna deal with multiple accounts that have different games tied to it. Oh well.
I think Europe is a whole region in Nintendo's account system, when PR asks us which region we want the code to review games we only chose "Europe" and the game code works on my French account.

Z..

I guess once again CA gets shafted hard on the price. 81$ here.

Why the fuck are they adding $20 to the price wtf and come on no digital codes here either?

Well, I just did the conversion and 60$USD is 75$CAD, so it's not adding 20$ to the price, it's adding 4 USD (5 CAD).

In Europe it's coming out at 60€, which is 88 CAD so you're still getting a good deal compared to most places.

Regardless, it's the switch, buy from other regions as people are suggesting. Duh.

nice82jbp.png

Hmm, this or South African eShop.🤔

Z..

Amazon JP has a separate account system? Oo

I use Amazon US, AU, UK, ES, FR, DE regularly and all of those use my same original UK account. JP isn't recognizing my login at all... is this normal?

Eusis

Hmm...

So I have $10 from that Amazon Music trial. It's already slotted into Super Mario Odyssey, but it'd be really tempting if I could cancel that, keep it, and use it on that instead. Anyone know if that'd still work or to not bother?

EDIT: Actually for a game like this I'd probably prefer to more properly own it on a US account rather than trying to get a little early via a Japanese code. Still tempting though...

EDIT 2: By the way the credit is stated to expire 10/31 so if you have it it's probably still good. But whether that'd translate to a yen purchase is a different story!

jacobeid

Banned
Amazon JP has a separate account system? Oo

I use Amazon US, AU, UK, ES, FR, DE regularly and all of those use my same original UK account. JP isn't recognizing my login at all... is this normal?

You need a separate account. I couldn't use my US login and needed to create a Japan-specific account.

I used all of the same credentials as my US account no problem.

An easier way of doing this would just be ordering the game digitally through Best Buy — they’re offering a $10 Reward certificate for digital pre-order of the game so your net cost would be $49.99.

Not everyone is in the US.

I have a seperate one for the japanese shop cause it doesn't accept my credit card or paypal and as far as I know it still gets rid of leftover money in your account if you switch. Which will rarely be 0 because of this.

For any country that does accept my card I just switch my main account for a bit as well.

You can't switch regions if you have money on your account anymore.

Z..

nice82jbp.png

How much is the prime discount, though? I ask because the jp one would cost me 43€ and your pic shows 42,90€... To save 10 cents I'd rather have the game a day early, quite frankly.

I think Europe is a whole region in Nintendo's account system, when PR asks us which region we want the code to review games we only chose "Europe" and the game code works on my French account.

That´s what i thought. Finding that info online is hard as hell. It´s all about buying on the US-Eshop from europe, buying on the EU-Eshop from the US, on the US-Shop from the japanese one. Nothing about other EU countries from another EU country.

Not

Banned
All the reviews so far(edge and famitsu) seem to indicate that Mario Odyssey may not score as well as BOTW. BOTW had 40/40 from famitsu. Mario Odyssey may score very high, just not as high as BOTW which was what I was getting at.

For Nintendo to push for a sales of Mario Odyssey before its release, there has to be justified concerns that the expected initial sales number is not going to be met. I would imagine a highly anticipated release like Mario Odyssey, Nintendo's own sales forecast relies heavily on critical reviews.

Man, this is ridiculous

Uh-oh! A lone great review instead of a perfect one in a Japanese enthusiast mag! Slash that price or we'll NEVER be able to sell this Mario game in the US!

Well, I just did the conversion and 60$USD is 75$CAD, so it's not adding 20$ to the price, it's adding 4 USD (5 CAD).

In Europe it's coming out at 60€, which is 88 CAD so you're still getting a good deal compared to most places.

Regardless, it's the switch, buy from other regions as people are suggesting. Duh.

Are video games subject to VAT? Only wondering since the Canadian price will have an additional 5-15% depending on province/territory (most provinces are close to 10%). US price would be subject to the same thing though.

Z..

Are video games subject to VAT? Only wondering since the Canadian price will have an additional 5-15% depending on province/territory (most provinces are close to 10%). US price would be subject to the same thing though.

Barking up the wrong tree as far as North America goes since I am completely oblivious... VG are subject to VAT in at least all the 3 countries I've lived in, but they're all EU so I suppose consistency is to be expected...

TheExodu5

Banned
Bought.

About $65 CAD. Better than the $90 it would have cost.

So, to redeem, I'll have to change my Switch's region to JP? How will I go about redownloading the game if ever I delete it from my system? Will it add the game to my NA eShop?

Blam

Bought.

About $65 CAD. Better than the $90 it would have cost.

So, to redeem, I'll have to change my Switch's region to JP? How will I go about redownloading the game if ever I delete it from my system? Will it add the game to my NA eShop?

No you'd need to make a new JP account for this code.

Hahaha digital marketplace scrubs, I acquired Mario Odyssey for a mere $40 due to the Amazon audible trial $10 credit in addition to the Amazon Prime preorder discount. Applaud me.

MTC100

Banned
I´m about to do this.

I don't have a clue but you can always create a french account if you have to be french for this code, so don't worry, you could also change your country to France anytime in the settings so you can buy and use the french eshop at your leisure.

I wouldn't buy the game for 59 Euro if you can get it for 43 Euro.

How much is the prime discount, though? I ask because the jp one would cost me 43€ and your pic shows 42,90€... To save 10 cents I'd rather have the game a day early, quite frankly.

as you can see the price is 42,90 instead of 44,90, that's the prime discount. Time is not an issue for me as I will have a week off starting the 28th of october and will have to work until then anyway and ordering from the french Amazon is much less of a hassle imo.

SomTervo

Anyone have a more detailed guide on doing this? It's impossible for me to enter my correct zip code for billing address as it is formatted for japanese zip codes and only allows 3 characters in the first box or 4 in the second.

I got around this by doing it from a different part of the site I think. Go to Account Settings or something, gives you a different + better form.

Top Bottom