• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krooner

I'm no photoshop expert but I whipped this together real quick since I wanted it without the text as well.
8lA5Umo.png

EDIT: Fixed some of the minor smudges because they were driving my OCD crazy.

Good work. Thank you.

Aldric

A lot of people act like 3D World had fewer moves than Galaxy, which is odd, but it actually had almost every move 3D Mario has ever had and new ones.

If people ignore 3D World movement options it's because they felt horribly gimped and were mostly useless for advanced, creative gameplay. You simply have to watch speedruns to realize Galaxy still makes use of Mario's core abilities to take cool shortcuts and break the regular level progression while 3D World essentially requires the Peach and cat suit combo to pull off anything. 3D World no powerup runs are the saddest thing to watch.

I'm no photoshop expert but I whipped this together real quick since I wanted it without the text as well.
8lA5Umo.png

EDIT: Fixed some of the minor smudges because they were driving my OCD crazy.

The Zelda EDGE cover has been my phone wallpaper for the past 8 months. Finally I've found a suitable replacement.

Thank you, good sir.

If people ignore 3D World movement options it's because they felt horribly gimped and were mostly useless for advanced, creative gameplay. You simply have to watch speedruns to realize Galaxy still makes use of Mario's core abilities to take cool shortcuts and break the regular level progression while 3D World essentially requires the Peach and cat suit combo to pull off anything. 3D World no powerup runs are the saddest thing to watch.

Yes, i love pulling the roll jump move in 3d world, but no triple jump, dive and a super neutered back flip and long jump make the game movement feels worse than 64 and sunshine.

mrmickfran

Can't afford to throw down on a Switch until next year, but man, am I gonna have a good time when I do or what?
You'll have Odyssey, Zelda and Xenoblade for your single player plus ARMS, Splatoon and Mario Kart for multiplayer. Plus many more that'll be announced.

Good luck on deciding what to play first lol

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Can't afford to throw down on a Switch until next year, but man, am I gonna have a good time when I do or what?
Lightning in the bottle, part 2. This year's output is Nintendo at the top of their game: you'll most likely have a good time.

Majora

New long gameplay from the final build of the game. Looks beautiful.

https://youtu.be/zIXfgyDMy1E

You can tell the lighting has improved a lot.

The HUD looks a little busy for my tastes. Do we know if there are any HUD options like there were with BOTW? I feel like I could do without that compass and the moon counter (I totally skimmed through the video so apologies if this is addressed).

The HUD looks a little busy for my tastes. Do we know if there are any HUD options like there were with BOTW? I feel like I could do without that compass and the moon counter (I totally skimmed through the video so apologies if this is addressed).

I don't know about a pro hud, but the moon counter resets every time you go to the kingdom, and the traced lines only appear until you don't have the number of moons needed for the next kingdom

Ohh nice I didn’t know this.
Can you also trade in a game and have that go towards whatever new game you are getting a discount on?

I'm not too sure if you can do that. I know if you have the Best Buy Gamers Club when you trade a game in you get 10% more money for it.

They gave fucking GTA IV a 10/10? That shit was disappointing coming from San Andreas. It's better than III though.
The only one I would look upon with contention. You can see why; it did add a lot of cinematic impact and grandeur to GTA, as well as multiplayer.

It’s just a shame the actual gameplay experience was pretty boring as a result.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I was going to make a joke earlier about how skeptical you'd be about this review but I wondered if your tenor had changed since the reveal

Actually, it has. The trailers that we've seen in the last month or so have made me significantly more confident about the game's quality compared to the initial reveal.

But you can be more optimistic about a game while also being cautiously optimistic. What is the issue here?

How can you claim to be the biggest Mario fan here and not be extremely excited for this game? Doesn't compute.

See, the problem is that you took from my post that I wasn't extremely excited for the game, when that is not the case at all. I love the fact that there's a return to a more open-world focus and physics and controls that thankfully stray away from SM3DW and back to SMG.

However, that's not at all contradictory with tempering expectations since we all know in many, many cases, reviewers, like everyone else, get caught up in the hype. Skyward Sword, Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 3, GTA4 the list goes on and on. Hell, remember the hell that was raised when Twilight Princess got an 8.8? But then everyone played it, and turns out that not only did it seem like Gerstmann was right, but he probably overshot it. Hilariously enough, guess who was on the side of the crowd that wanted Gerstmann's head on a platter after that?

Certainly nothing I've said is deserving of some of the unhinged comments I've been getting, like this:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1431899&page=2
He really swears by Edge scores when it suits his agenda...

Look at this wingnut. He references a post of mine that seemed disappointed in the score that Sonic Mania got. Before that post, I don't think I've made a single negative comment whatsoever, in any thread since the initial reveal thread for Mania (And even then, the only thing I questioned was the ability of the developers involved cause I never heard of them. Once people explained who they were, that was that. Furthermore, if anyone can find any subsequent negative posts about the game I've made, please free to point it out). But somehow in Mighty Poo's deranged mind, I clearly had some sort of agenda against that game, with his partner in derp, Jaded Alyx, chiming in with the 8 thousandth instance of invoking an unoriginal, lame pun on my name. This is a game that, for all intents and purposes, I wanted to see it succeed. (now Sonic Forces, on the other hand..)

Probably the greatest irony here is that I had a similar level of skepticism with the original Super Mario Galaxy. Yet now no one is a bigger defender of that game than I am.

The moral of this story is that y'all need to take a chill pill.

the worst thing about oblivion is his fucking iwata avatar

Way to speak ill of the dead.

Ridley327

They gave fucking GTA IV a 10/10? That shit was disappointing coming from San Andreas. It's better than III though.

GTA4 was a rare instance of unity for reviews, in that everyone lost their goddamned minds to praise it for the things that it set out to do rather than the things that it actually did well. LBP had the same thing going for it, too.

yuoke

Banned
GTA4 was a rare instance of unity for reviews, in that everyone lost their goddamned minds to praise it for the things that it set out to do rather than the things that it actually did well. LBP had the same thing going for it, too.
And BOTW to an extent.

WestEgg

Did any of you happen to catch that piece from Erik Kain on Forbes about Edge's score?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...uper-mario-odyssey-review-score/#1e1fb07e453f

Erik Kain said:
"On the other hand, it's always a little bit odd when one publication has its review out so far in advance of every other. It cheapens the perfect score because we can't help but wonder if it's all above board, or if secret deals were struck behind the scenes.

The value of reviews, at least to some degree, lies in their consensus. Outliers are fine, and independent voices can and should rise above mere aggregation. But if there's only one review to choose from, it's almost as useless as having no reviews at all.

So my suggestion would be to take this with a massive, heaping hat full of salt. I have confidence that Super Mario Odyssey will be a good game (I've enjoyed what little I've played) but I wouldn't place much value on this sort of lone review. There's a reason universal embargoes exist, and a reason we feel a little suspicious whenever one publication gets such a hefty jump on all the rest. Thankfully, many other reviews will almost certainly be out before the game launches and savvy consumers can read up ahead of making a purchase."

Is it just me, or does it sound like he's accusing Edge of Paid Reviews?

AzaK

Technically it's a follow up to Mario 64/Sunshine, in Nintendo's eyes. If anything, 3D Land and World were the sucessors to the Galaxy duology. As told by The Chart™.

3D_Mario_Infograph.jpg

This is what makes me interested. Everything after Sunshine was slowly going down hill. Not shit of course, but too linear and nothing like 64 and Sunshine which were both awesome.

Irminsul

Moose84

Did any of you happen to catch that piece from Erik Kain on Forbes about Edge's score?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...uper-mario-odyssey-review-score/#1e1fb07e453f

I stopped reading after his first, appallingly-written, paragraph

Super Mario Odyssey isn't coming out for over two more weeks. At this point, we're not sure when review embargoes will lift for the game, or even when review copies will go out to game reviewers.

Not sure which sentence is worse.

LBP is a 10/10 for me. I don't know what you're talking about.

WestEgg

This is what makes me interested. Everything after Sunshine was slowly going down hill. Not shit of course, but too linear and nothing like 64 and Sunshine which were both awesome.

If I looked downhill and saw Galaxy, I'd grab my tobaggon and never look back.

bomma_man

Well, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Edge have got the exclusive reviews of the most recent Zeldas and Marios. I doubt they’re paid, but Nintendo can probably assume they’re going to get pretty favourable scores.

Alrus

Sunshine is really really flawed, good controls don't excuse buggy physics, cut corners and shit camera. The idea that Galaxy is worse than Sunshine is laughable.

Irminsul

Well, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Edge have got the exclusive reviews of the most recent Zeldas and Marios. I doubt they’re paid, but Nintendo can probably assume they’re going to get pretty favourable scores.
BotW got sixty-nine perfect scores. Edge's score is hardly an outlier. And they're the only relevant print magazine still in existance, so that fact probably is the reason they're getting exclusive reviews.

What the hell is this quote

The value of reviews, at least to some degree, lies in their consensus. Outliers are fine, and independent voices can and should rise above mere aggregation. But if there's only one review to choose from, it's almost as useless as having no reviews at all.

JoeNut

Glad that i've not really seen much of this game, i've maybe seen 1 minute of a trailer when it was first announced.

Looking forward to jumping in blind and seeing how it goes

Kyzer

Banned

bigpumbaa

Wouldn’t be so skeptical.

Have heard that SMO is tracking higher than BOTW in terms of reviews/expectations.

We may just have two GOATs in one year.

VDenter

Banned
Sunshine is really really flawed, good controls don't excuse buggy physics, cut corners and shit camera. The idea that Galaxy is worse than Sunshine is laughable.

What?

Also while i was blown away by Galaxy back in 2007 and do consider it a better put together game than Sunshine overall. It does not change the fact that the Mario games i replayed the most are 64 and Sunshine while i only replayed Galaxy once since its release.
Probably because Galaxy is a much more restrictive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom