• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Bravely Default (3DS) towns affected by time of day lighting ?

nasos_333

For those lucky ones that have played the game :)

Does the lighting of the city change according to time of day, say be different in dawn, dusk etc

An example (first pic i change the coloring to a dusk like one)

20uzp89.jpg

vs

Nintendo-3DS-Bravely-Default-Flying-Fairy-Artworks-8.jpg

Nice, so it is possible to wait outside town and see something close to the 1st pic when go back inside ?

Oh god, i am so in love with this game (that i will probably never get to play :( )

I think so, yes. I'm not sure of the presets, but there's at least Day, evening, and night.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Maybe an iOS spinoff too with lots of stuff to buy. Instead of defaulting for extra turns you buy them instead.

hongcha

Best game of 2012! The night/day cycles work really nicely (time changes rather quickly on the overworld), and there are a lot of events in the towns that only happen at night or daytime.

I don't understand ... 4 Heroes of Light got localized ... why this game can't ?

No FF branding to latch it on to. Voice acting & amount of text makes it a potentially expensive localisation, so SE may decide it's not worth it.

That being said, titles like this can be ~18 months before they get released anyway.

ohlawd

I don't understand ... 4 Heroes of Light got localized ... why this game can't ?

weeeeeeeeell...

4HoL bombed. It bomba'd so hard muhfuckahs wanna fine me and BD is basically a spiritual successor.
And looking at the NPD, 3rd parties aren't doing so hawt.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Watch the first game gets localized and released around Pokemon X/Y.

Doesn't sell as expected.

Sequel Japan only.

Or they decided that the game itself wouldn't transfer well and can the project initially.

Further engraving Square's incompetence in light of the 3DS's success.

Say what you will but 3DS is generally a healthy platform.

Drago

And looking at the NPD, 3rd parties aren't doing so hawt.

To put it into perspective, the ONLY 3rd party 3DS game to sell > 400k in NA is Angry Birds Trilogy. THAT game is the fastest and highest selling 3rd party game on 3DS.

:(

hongcha

No FF branding to latch it on to. Voice acting & amount of text makes it a potentially expensive localisation, so SE may decide it's not worth it.

There are also some mature (=sexual) themes woven into the story that would probably get censored or prevent the game from being localized at all. I think this is one of the major hurdles for the game's localization, but one that most people asking for a localization don't know about or aren't properly considering.

Also, 4 Warriors of Light sold poorly in the USA, which does not help BD's chances.

nasos_333

To put it into perspective, the ONLY 3rd party 3DS game to sell > 400k in NA is Angry Birds Trilogy. THAT game is the fastest and highest selling 3rd party game on 3DS.

On the other hand there really isnt anything close to Bravely Default on the market yet, so how can we tell what a trully unbelievable JRPG would sell ?

We dont get many JRPGs that look like FF9, in fact it would be the first ever

Soriku

Considering the producer has already expressed interest in localizing it, just that he's trying to do it while preserving parts of the original, I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time. On SE's forums it and Type-0 were pretty much the most asked for games in 2013 too, and people keep asking for it on the game's Twitter so I'm pretty sure they're aware of the demand.

I also don't see the point in comparing it to 4HoL. The game sold much more than that did in Japan, and this game is rather different too.

where did you get this information?

Last I saw, Angry Birds 3DS was a bomb and in bargain bins everywhere.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

irUWhGzW6TeCl.gif

3DS has a fantastic lineup for Q1, but I need Bravely Default in my life. Not that it'll sell well, or anything though.

Ouch.

I hate most of the 3rd party portable stuff made here anyway. They do everything so cheap and the games feel like a giant waste of time.

Also, what kind ofperson would buy Angry Birds on 3ds for $20 when you can get all the games on the system they were designed for at under $5 total? (including two games not on the 3ds cart).

Madness.

Also SquareEnix is dead to me.

So if JapanGAF has played the game, how is the story?

Hearing that it's the same writer as Steins;Gate has me intrigued, but I wouldn't think it's the type of game to get anywhere near as mind-bending.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There is a day version and night version for each town and many of the other 2D backdrop environments. The 3D overworld has more of a full day/night cycle with a proper sunset period and such.

urfe

I don't think this game is as good as people let on. I'll collect my thoughts into a critical review one of these days. (I'm 10 hours in)

hongcha

So if JapanGAF has played the game, how is the story?

Really, really wonderful. One of the better stories in any JRPG, and I can't think of any JRPG with better dialogue. Great voice acting too.

I played the game to completion (all endings, etc), about 60 hours total.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think this game is as good as people let on. I'll collect my thoughts into a critical review one of these days. (I'm 10 hours in)

Are you just getting to the Flowell town? If so, that's just around where I really started to dislike the game. Some of the writing/characters/settings are just irritating to me. It's got a kind cynicism that you only see on anonymous Japanese message boards--hard to describe, but some of the loli-perv pandering stuff got on my nerves. I dropped the game for a while around that point, but decided to come back recently. I'm now 42 hours in and nearing the
true
ending. I think it gets a lot better after Flowell and there are some genuinely interesting points to the story, but there's also a lot to dislike. I'll post my final thoughts once I'm done, but right now it's just a 'good' game, with some high highs and some very low lows.

How frequent are the random battles?

Very frequent in dungeons, but quite infrequent on the world map. You can also equip job skills to either lower or increase the encounter rate.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Serious question.

Bravely Default non-translated and only available trough eShop, who would buy it?

Purchasing it wouldn't be a good idea at all unless you have a pretty high level of understanding Japanese.

The "set pieces" in this game are the writing in its little skits.

Despera

Banned
Are you just getting to the Flowell town? If so, that's just around where I really started to dislike the game. Some of the writing/characters/settings are just irritating to me. It's got a kind cynicism that you only see on anonymous Japanese message boards--hard to describe, but some of the loli-perv pandering stuff got on my nerves. I dropped the game for a while around that point, but decided to come back recently. I'm now 42 hours in and nearing the
true
ending. I think it gets a lot better after Flowell and there are some genuinely interesting points to the story, but there's also a lot to dislike. I'll post my final thoughts once I'm done, but right now it's just a 'good' game, with some high highs and some very low lows.

Very frequent in dungeons, but quite infrequent on the world map. You can also equip job skills to either lower or increase the encounter rate.
Thanks for destroying most of my hype for the game :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for destroying most of my hype for the game :(

I still think it's a good game, and if you are more tolerant for otaku bullshit, it's probably an amazing game. There's a lot to like here, but I disagree with people who say this is somehow better than some of the best SNES and PS1 era RPGs.

Then again, I gave up on Xenoblade after 20 hours or so, so maybe my tastes are just different from modern JRPG fans.

Top Bottom