• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

Grief.exe

Here's some recent tracker statistics, just for fun.

ib2g4semsMZ3jS.png

iEMtS3uLjMArV.png

Source

That is a really cool site

Weird that it isn't picking up the original tweet even though it should be within the 30 day range

https://twitter.com/Grief_exe/status/416998167909900289

Colin.

Signed the petition the other day when it was still at 10. Now nearly at 3000, with media coverage to boot. This is great. I hope people continue to put the word out, to help the petition reach its goal.

antitrop

I signed this shit yesterday. Bayonetta and Vanquish are two of my favorite games of last-gen, and they deserve to be preserved on PC.

Grief.exe

Bayo, MGR and Vanquish on steam

The platinum trinity of infinite awesomeness.

MGR was my first Platinum game and it ended up getting into my GOTY list. I am hungry for more.

This is awesome, Shemue500k has about 15,000 followers on Twitter alone

PPfI1EC.png

antitrop

MGR was my first Platinum game and it ended up getting into my GOTY list. I am hungry for more.

Vanquish is like if Metal Gear Rising didn't have a rushed dev cycle and was a shooter instead of a hack-n-slash.

Which means it's the greatest thing ever.

98zwymb

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Vanquish is like if Metal Gear Rising didn't have a rushed dev cycle and was a shooter instead of a hack-n-slash.

98zwymb

This gif. :lol

I'm going to try and get support from a few italians sites. I hope some will listen.

Grief.exe

98zwymb

I have both VC and Vanquish on my new PS3 now.

I think I will play VC since that isn't as likely to come to PC, but I will just sit on Vanquish. I feel like playing that game at 30 FPS and without a mouse is a travesty.

Spaghetti

netting the shenmue guys on twitter is a massive win, they've been able to muster massive and regular onslaughts of tweeting campaigns in the past

Grief.exe

I've tweeted out to Devlolver Digital (indie publisher on PC), Rock Paper Shotgun, their editors, and Fork Parker (Devolver's fictional CEO that has a huge Twitter following).

No bites.

netting the shenmue guys on twitter is a massive win, they've been able to muster massive and regular onslaughts of tweeting campaigns in the past

I am getting a lot of notifications from them for retweeting, so they are doing their part.

Opiate

Serious question: I don't have particular interest in any of these games, but I do have interest, abstractly, in a wider variety of games coming to the PC.

Should I sign this even though I do not plan on buying these games in particular?

Grief.exe

Serious question: I don't have particular interest in any of these games, but I do have interest, abstractly, in a wider variety of games coming to the PC.

Should I sign this even though I do not plan on buying these games in particular?

Yes!

Japanese publishers play off eachother, especially after one has a particularly successful quarter.

After Sega and Namco's success we start to see increased ports from Capcom and now we are seeing games from Konami.

Diversifying the platform will always pay dividends down the road.

I've tweeted out to Devlolver Digital (indie publisher on PC), Rock Paper Shotgun, their editors, and Fork Parker (Devolver's fictional CEO that has a huge Twitter following).

No bites.

I am getting a lot of notifications from them for retweeting, so they are doing their part.

I'm surprised RPS didn't jumped on this.

I think so.

If the games are succesful (and given the interest Rising got there's no reason to believe otherwise) it will send another clear and loud signal that japanese console games (and on a more broad sense, japanese games) has a place in the PC ecosystem.

Sega has clearly been supportive of the PC platform, but their efforts seems (like in the case of other japanese companies) random or at least there's a lack of a proper strategy when several games are left out with very little logic behind (fighters have been one of the genres in the rise on PC but sagas like VF and Tekken are still avoiding the platform). If this succeds I really think other japanese companies surely will look at PC with other eyes or with a more broad mindset.

It could also lead to more indie/small companies to approach Steam/PC, since it seems only a small number of them are doing so and with very shy steps.

MDSLKTR

I think I will play VC since that isn't as likely to come to PC, but I will just sit on Vanquish. I feel like playing that game at 30 FPS and without a mouse is a travesty.

Vanquish controls are perfection. The 30fps is a damn tragedy for a game like that, youtube videos make the game appear smoother than it is :(

Grief.exe

Well, looks like I'm done posting to Reddit unless I can get this shadowban lifted.

Ridiculous that they can quiet a whole movement that Reddit had unanimously voted in favor of.

eznB7jL.png

Fun note: Vanquish on PS3 is one of the few shooters in the console in which I can stand PS3 sticks. I hate them with passion, but they managed to make them work fine on that game. The game truly plays fine even on a pad, even I'd say given the huge mobility of your character that playing on a controller it feels right.

Well, looks like I'm done posting to Reddit unless I can get this shadowban lifted.

Ridiculous that they can quiet a whole movement that Reddit had unanimously voted in favor of.

eznB7jL.png

Like we didn't have enough reasons to think reddit is shit.

Draikin 2

Here's some more press coverage:

TSSZ Beyond Blue.
A very negative attitude from TSSZ towards Sega, as usual. I've been critical of Sega's lack of communication and posted about this issue on their forums plenty of times, but right now we got them to respond and we know they're watching the petition. That's a lot more than we usually see from them, and about as much as you can realistically expect them to do at this point.

ArjanN

The only submission currently live is on r/PCmasterrace

The mod physically approved it to circumvent the shadow ban.

My cinical self says that some mods on some gaming subreddits are still pissed about GAF accusations on the whole Twitch vs Speedrunners thing. Some of them were accused of censoring information regarding some reddit mods helping twitch admins to block the fire.

Just a personal note. No need to think further, the important thing is the petition is getting some steam with or without reddit.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
so let me ask again, why is the only game that in fact needs attention (unlocalized yakuza 5) not on the list and we are asking sega to waste resources on games that have no issues and are even more console oriented ?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
so let me ask again, why is the only game that in fact needs attention (unlocalized yakuza 5) not on the list and we are asking sega to waste resources on games that have no issues and are even more console oriented ?

Even as a huge Yakuza fan it's not hard to see that Bayonetta and Vanquish on PC would actually sell. Yakuza barely even sells to the console audience in the West and that makes me very sad.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Localizing a Yakuza game isn't exactly cheap and easy compared to games already completed and translated. Campaigning for that is more likely to end in failure since it isn't easy or quick enough for Sega to see a return on that investment thus making them pass on it, but asking for previous Yakuza games might work out better since they're completed and the engine is running on PC via Binary Domain.

"We're requesting that you port these initial three so that we can demonstrate that the PC market will support this type of content, allowing you to then make a better determination as to which games will best suit your PC audience going forward; as well as allowing you to bring renewed consideration to those other titles if this effort proves successful."

Is on the petition.

And for the second question, if you can't understand the reasoning behind this, can't be helped. But there are several post about the impact of the success of this campaign and these games, if you' are interested enough read through the thread.

The Platinum games are on there because they just ported one of their games over to PC and that means that most of the hard work of getting their engine working on the PC end has already been done. I'm assuming the other games listed are due to popular demand.

ArjanN

Here you go,
http://www.change.org/petitions/sega-release-yakuza-5-in-the-west-2
knock yourself out. ;)

I think Yakuza 5 being localized would be great, but it would likely both cost more and make less than the games mentioned in the petition.

The Platinum games are on there because they just ported one of their games over to PC and that means that most of the hard work of getting their engine working on the PC end has already been done. I'm assuming the other games listed are due to popular demand.

Pretty much. The arcade hardware for Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown is essentially just a windows PC.

Top Bottom