• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega brings Rhythm Thief to iOS

duckroll

Sega put up their TGS 2012 page today, and it seems to have let slip an unannounced title - they're bringing Rhythm Thief to the iOS platform. Their TGS site is "down" at the moment, so here's the screen capture:

EVVLv.jpg

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Damn.... will finally get it.
What a week for mobile gaming....

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Makes sense, being the price of a full 3DS game didn't do it any favors.

Chunky

Loved it on 3DS, can't think of any problems it should have on iOS.
Spealing of iOS, what is with all these announcements, is there like an event or something?

hwy_61

Banned
Great news! I loved the demo on 3DS, but wasn't able to find it anywhere(did they print like, 1000 copies?!). Looking forward to getting it on iOS.

cw_sasuke

Loved it on 3DS, can't think of any problems it should have on iOS.
Spealing of iOS, what is with all these announcements, is there like an event or something?

Calm before the storm - iPhone 5 will be unveiled next week and TGS is upcoming.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Sega should bring Project Diva to iOS, I am not talking about the FMV movie known as Miku Flick, but a full fledged game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hope those are just 3DS screenshots because it would be really lazy of them to just leave the stylus diagrams in it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Good. Game deserves more exposure. That said, where's the eShop SKU, Sega?

cw_sasuke

I hope those are just 3DS screenshots because it would be really lazy of them to just leave the stylus diagrams in it.

It will be a low effort port - wouldnt expect too much.

JavyOO7

I would like Rhythm Thief to be downloadable on the e-shop. I have a feeling its going to be rare pretty soon and I wouldn't have fired the trigger yet to buy the game. ):

cw_sasuke

iOS is going crazy lately. I wonder how well it did on the 3DS?

Okay in Japan and bombed everywhere else - like some many titles. I always wondered why publishers wouldnt price their content lower, when they know that the games will bomb... but at this point they probably dont care, since many games can be ported to mobile plattforms a couple months later.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We only officially have Japanese numbers.

Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure: 63,714

According to Famitsu, it's a bit more, almost 80k. The problem is that it did bad elsewhere.

Oh I was just about to buy the 3DS version after I played the demo, was good B^)

Hmmmmmm I'll have to watch the price and videos from the iOS version

Great news! I loved the demo on 3DS, but wasn't able to find it anywhere(did they print like, 1000 copies?!). Looking forward to getting it on iOS.
I was looking through Sega's IR information just now and it turns out they forecasted just 20k for the US total. D:

It's no wonder the game sold out immediately and is so hard to find. To put things in perspective, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force III shipped more US copies than that.

Would have been way smarter releasing it last year on 3DS, at least.

Releasing it the same week as Theatrhythm was just silly. Neither game was going to do great, but for people in the mood for a 3DS rhythm game, Rhythm Thief was not the more alluring option.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well I guess this could help towards a sequel, an okay game but it has some noticeable issues, like gyro stuff.
Definitely. Though I think being on iOS might help out with some of the gyro stuff if they retooled how clunky it was in the original.

I think Rhythm Thief should get more attention, most certainly. It's a flawed game for sure, but it's very fun and has a few SEGA IP cameos in terms of the kinds of rhythm minigames there are.

Would have been way smarter releasing it last year on 3DS, at least.

Releasing it the same week as Theatrhythm was just silly. Neither game was going to do great, but for people in the mood for a 3DS rhythm game, Rhythm Thief was not the more alluring option.
The thing that puzzles me here is that release was a few months after the one here in Europe, it's like they went out of their way to time the release as awkwardly as possible.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Demo was nice, but not worth $29.99 (especially considering I had just bought Theatrhythm). $10 or less and I might pick this up, but wouldn't it be extra easy to release this on the EShop as well? Might have got some extra sells there too.

This game is fantastic, and well worth $30. The story is intriguing, the gameplay is fun (except for the gyro controlled games, screw you Sega), and it's got a couple fun side activities that are very Layton-ish.

Good news, game deserves a second chance at success. I bought and really enjoyed it on 3DS, hope it finds a wider audience. Sure it's a Layton clone, but it's an extremely competent one with high production values, catchy music and tons of variety.

Top Bottom