• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

UrbanRats

I would actually love another Cop Dog-like review. The Red Letter Media team are at their best when they're picking apart terrible, obscure movies.

Well yeah, though anyone can do that.
RDM also manages to give out some decent analysis, so i'd rather they focus on bad but still loved movies (such as the Star Wars ones).

Davey Cakes

I liked the part in the ST2009 review where Plinkett talks about sequels and remakes, and runs through a list.

"...and Bambi II? WHAT THE FUCK??!!"

Which is pretty much everyone's response to the existence of Bambi II.

UrbanRats

You mean analsis?

i2T74Zu1VqlON.gif

Trigger

The HITB review of That's My Boy made a good point about Sandler's idea of "comedy". It really is just making fun of people without wit or thought being applied.

I love half in the bag. Their reviews are usually well put and love their sarcasm for comedic relieve. However, I will say I think they are starting to fall prey of their own skits. Too much of everything is not good.

UrbanRats

Oh God, someone please GIF Mike's face around 8:32 in the Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter review.
That would made for a great reaction gif.

Kritz

Banned
Gotta say I really love how there's this little, completely unnecessary, storyline accompanying each review. It's what drives it apart from other review things I've seen. That and the bait-and-switch humour.

They got something special going, tell you what.

Trigger

Do we will know when they'll ever announce the next Plinkett review? It's what drew me to them in the first place.

Man, if they DO review all 3 matrix movies then none of them should even be positive based on their previous taste/criticisms because even the first movie is full of plot holes and completely nonsensical story-telling.

UrbanRats

How bad is it on spoilers? Bah, i'll watch it anyway, who doesn't know Spiderman's story by now?

EDIT: Not spoilery.
Well, they clearly didn't like it, lol.

If they're gonna give Rich a larger role in the show- they should really work on his mic. It does some funky things and as always been a problem with his voice.

ZeroGravity

I'm sort of hit-and-miss on agreeing with their Half-in-the-Bag reviews, but they absolutely nailed this one. They pretty much addressed every major problem I had with the movie, especially the part about the tone and how so many things conflict with it. "Joyless experience" is the perfect description of Amazing Spider-Man.

Xzeon

Banned
The guest dudes mic was really messed up, im glad he didnt talk much cuz his parts made the audio echo and glitch out.

I liked the new Spiderman.

But looking back on it

I think the biggest problem was, is that the darker tone was fine, but I think they picked a bad villain to start off with. The Lizard was too much of a goofy comic book type enemy in a movie striving to be more grounded in reality.

The problem is that the bad guys that use technology and are more realistic were used in SM1 and SM2. Using the Lizard also made it too similar to Green Goblin in SM1, for one their both big giant green monsters, and they used the split personality thing again as well.

They shoulda chose a different villain, Im not a comic book reader so I only really know the basic stuff about Spiderman, but I know there had to be a bad guy that woulda fit the darker tone of this movie better.

1 other thing I noticed, was that in the advertisements the yellow eyes were really noticeable, they stick out very bad on all the toys and tie in products as well. But in the movie, they were more silverish and chrome looking, or metallic black looking. Maybe it was the lighting, or maybe they heard people getting pissed about the yellow eyes and went back and toned down the yellow.

rezuth

If they're gonna give Rich a larger role in the show- they should really work on his mic. It does some funky things and as always been a problem with his voice.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. Really liked the review, kinda sad they haven't done one for MIB 3.

Majine

Banned
"That's what seperates us from so many 3D movies people have seen in 3D"

:lol

Fuck, thinking about how fast they probably will reboot Batman after TDKR makes me depressed.

Great episode. I think these half in the bag episodes are getting better and better. Great timing too in terms of stepping up to the plate, considering just about every other "critic" review personality out there has gotten lazy and tired with their schtick. It helps that the guys at Red Letter Media are actually funny without having to hide under the guise of a character. Just them talking is sometimes better than other's written material.

hachi

Banned
Ah, how wonderful to find this thread. Subscribing at once.

On point, put me in the column of those hoping for the next Plinkett review to be something like Cop Dog, though I predict a return to sci-fi.

Majine

Banned
I hope
despite what the ending indicated
that Rich will become a permanent member of the show. 3 people discussing a movie feels better than just 2.

Eidan

I hope
despite what the ending indicated
that Rich will become a permanent member of the show. 3 people discussing a movie feels better than just 2.

Rich can't become a permanent member unless they decide to completely drop Plinkett from the show.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They will Twilightify Batman.

Rich would tip the balance too far into the geek side of the scale. The white socks are enough. He also had no idea wtf they were talking about when not talking about comic book movies.

For some reason, I doubt Rich will have enough to say about most movies. It seems like they brought him on solely because he was a big fan of spiderman while the other two were not, giving him a more informed opinion of the films.

Haha, I really love their reviews. I blew through their back catalog of In The Bag's a week ago when I found out they existed. Great stuff.

I went to the theater on the 4th and ALMOST went to see Spiderman, but I had the exact reaction they were talking about: that "eh, it's just Spiderman again" feeling.

hachi

Banned
Rich was very briefly brought in as a reviewer once before, during a gag in which Mike was traveling. The joke was that Rich had little to contribute to their movies conversation, so he and Jay went through a few false starts with no success. If my memory serves, he was shot by Jay in that episode as well.

("People want to see Mike Stoklasa and the other guy... they don't want to see the other guy and the other guy!").

Izick

Rich was very briefly brought in as a reviewer once before, during a gag in which Mike was traveling. The joke was that Rich had little to contribute to their movies conversation, so he and Jay went through a few false starts with no success. If my memory serves, he was shot by Jay in that episode as well.

("People want to see Mike Stoklasa and the other guy... they don't want to see the other guy and the other guy!").

That quote is hilarious.

I would love to see Rich joint up. He seems as smart as Mike and Jay, so it seems like it'd be a nice, new dynamic.

-Mikey-

That quote is hilarious.

I would love to see Rich joint up. He seems as smart as Mike and Jay, so it seems like it'd be a nice, new dynamic.

The three of them have a long history so it's nice to see how their sense of humor is understood by each person. I'm wondering how long the TDKR review will be and if it will have a nice spoiler section like Prometheus.

Izick

Guessing it will be standard fair. It may be an amazing movie, but they usually always get out what they need to say within a half an hour or so.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just watched an older clip they did from '05, Mike's so thin!

And they made me remember that Batman's getting a new movie stat in order to vibe better with the Justice League movie they wanna make.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Has anyone else encountered the phenomenon of people who have seen Plinkett reviews of movies and now literally cannot perceive anything good about the movie in any way simply because they saw nothing but negative things in a Plinkett review?

I had a very weird conversation with a guy about Star Trek: Generations with a guy who literally hated every single thing about the movie and his entire argument was just a series of quotes from the Plinkett review. It's not the first time that's happened either, although that's the first time it was with a person I know personally.

Izick

Has anyone else encountered the phenomenon of people who have seen Plinkett reviews of movies and now literally cannot perceive anything good about the movie in any way simply because they saw nothing but negative things in a Plinkett review?

I had a very weird conversation with a guy about Star Trek: Generations with a guy who literally hated every single thing about the movie and his entire argument was just a series of quotes from the Plinkett review. It's not the first time that's happened either, although that's the first time it was with a person I know personally.

But Plinkett makes good points. I don't know as much about the ST movies as Star Wars, but if anybody asked me why I didn't like the prequel movies, I'd just point them to the review, because Plinkett basically lists every gripe I have, and a lot that I never realized before even.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
But Plinkett makes good points. I don't know as much about the ST movies as Star Wars, but if anybody asked me why I didn't like the prequel movies, I'd just point them to the review, because Plinkett basically lists every gripe I have, and a lot that I never realized before even.
Whether the Plinkett character makes a good point or not, its pretty inane to try to cite the (comedy) review as some kind of law instead of coming up with a single original thought. Particularly given that the Generations review in question is pretty nitpicky ("why does the glass shatter, the show said its transparent metal"). It's hard to argue in favor of the Star Wars prequels, but the Star Trek one is a lot more debatable.

Izick

Whether the Plinkett character makes a good point or not, its pretty inane to try to cite the (comedy) review as some kind of law instead of coming up with a single original thought. Particularly given that the Generations review in question is pretty nitpicky ("why does the glass shatter, the show said its transparent metal"). It's hard to argue in favor of the Star Wars prequels, but the Star Trek one is a lot more debatable.

I don't know, maybe. I don't even really see the Plinkett character being an issue though. His character really has nothing to do with the critiques, besides how they are worded or delivered. That's all Mike, and likely some of his friends pointing it out.

EDIT: Also, I agree the nitpicky stuff doesn't always matter, but it can if it all adds up.

Top Bottom