• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR TREK ONLINE: The |OT| of Going Where No Gamer Has Gone Before....

JWong

Banned
Chris_C said:
I don't think it's downloading the client, I have a 768kb connection and it says it'll take 3 hrs.
10gb = 10455040kb

10455050kb / 768kb / 60min / 60s = 3.75 hourish

Yeah, just doing this on my spare time.

Chris_C

JWong said:
10gb = 10455040kb

10455050kb / 768kb / 60min / 60s = 3.75 hourish

Yeah, just doing this on my spare time.

It's now down to 1hr 45 mins.

Also, I'm on a 768kb/sec plan, divide by 4 to get my real download speed, which is 192, factor in contention and I'm usually lucky to get 120kb/s down.

DustoMan

Banned
Zzoram said:
Steam isn't updating my beta.

Exit the Steam client and when you start it up again it probably will. Mine did. 53 mins to go. Good thing I could remote into my desktop at home from here at work so I wouldn't be doing this when I get home tonight.

Zzoram

DustoMan said:
Exit the Steam client and when you start it up again it probably will. Mine did. 53 mins to go. Good thing I could remote into my desktop at home from here at work so I wouldn't be doing this when I get home tonight.

Thanks, that worked. Why is it still called beta? Will Steam rename it soon?

JWong

Banned
Chris_C said:
It's now down to 1hr 45 mins.

Also, I'm on a 768kb/sec plan, divide by 4 to get my real download speed, which is 192, factor in contention and I'm usually lucky to get 120kb/s down.
That's way faster than 6mbit (btw 768kbps = 6mbit).

I'm at 18% and it has been an hour already. 630kbps download.

Chris_C

JWong said:
That's way faster than 6mbit (btw 768kbps = 6mbit).

I'm at 18% and it has been an hour already. 630kbps download.

I think we're getting confused. My point is that I can only download at a maximum speed of 120kb/s At that speed it would take me over 160 hours to download a 10GB file.

What I'm saying is I can't be downloading the entire client, because it looks like I'll end up downloading for around 2-3 hours tops.

JWong

Banned
Chris_C said:
I think we're getting confused. My point is that I can only download at a maximum speed of 120kb/s At that speed it would take me over 160 hours to download a 10GB file.

What I'm saying is I can't be downloading the entire client, because it looks like I'll end up downloading for around 2-3 hours tops.
Oh, I see!

WillyFive

Darklord said:
Why would you want a thread that doesn't make any sense and has terrible writing?

:D

Hey! JJ Abrams Star Trek is awesome. Made me a Star Trek fan, until I realized all the other Star Treks out there were totally different.

Malfunky

Haha, that's my crew in the tiny picture in the middle of the collage.

Been waiting for this game for a long time, but I wont be playing, at least not for a while. I made a decision at the last minute to focus more on school. I think it'll pay off. :lol

Have fun.

Chris_C

I'm so confused. Steam is telling me the game will be ready to play in 38 minutes, BUT, the progress bar shows it's only downloaded a teeeeeny tiny bit. I checked my STO folder and it's magically shrunk down to 413MB.

I'll be so pissed if I can't play in half about because Steam ate my STO!

Ember128

2 hours and 40 minutes Until STO will play for me.

In the meantime, anyone have more pictures of ships on the ground, and people in space?

JWong said:
Too late for me.

Me too... When I entered home, the first thing that I've done is try to run the game. I should have read this thread, first.

Im assuming that means all your weapons can fire 360 degree's which could be handy on any ship in a close quarters fight, or is it like a turret?

I suppose that it will be a special weapon, even if it's in a "tactical computer" slot, that automaticly attacks that small annoying ships. If it changes all your beam weapons to 360 (even reducing their range), it will be very easy to exploit.

Zenith

Banned
IACoverEngland.png

from the other thread.

Chris_C said:

2 small things.

- Steam says "updating", not installing. At least, mine.
- The info that you download is compressed, and steam uncompress it.

DustoMan

Banned
DangerousDave said:
I suppose that it will be a special weapon, even if it's in a "tactical computer" slot, that automaticly attacks that small annoying ships. If it changes all your beam weapons to 360 (even reducing their range), it will be very easy to exploit.

It probably has a 3 minute cooldown like some of the other special weapon "powers" like the High Yield Torpedoes.

DoctorWho said:
How large is this steam update?

I'm downloading at 650KB/s and it is only at 2% after 10 minutes.

FUCKING STEAM!!! DO NOT RUN THE GAME THROUGH STEAM. It is redownloading the whole beta client!

I think the key to this problem is people killing the Steam client while the forced update is happening. DON'T KILL IT. It will corrupt the download and make you do the whole 10GB client again. I just let do it's thing and then the STO client re-installed that 59MB head start patch.

The game seems to be running fairly stable right now, they have fixed the c-store so if you got the borg pre-order officer you can now get him.

Has the gaf fleet been reformed yet?

DustoMan said:
It probably has a 3 minute cooldown like some of the other special weapon "powers" like the High Yield Torpedoes.

I think the key to this problem is people killing the Steam client while the forced update is happening. DON'T KILL IT. It will corrupt the download and make you do the whole 10GB client again. I just let do it's thing and then the STO client re-installed that 59MB head start patch.

I don't recall killing anything. I just came in turned on my computer and ran STO through Steam and this "update" started to download. Only later did I discover it was the whole client again. :(.

Chris_C

DustoMan said:

I didn't kill steam when it started the forced update, it doesn't seem to be redownloading the entire 10GB patch, but my STO folder has been deleted and is now just 715MB large (and climbing) and the Steam update looks like this:

160wtqe.jpg

It's not even telling me what percentage has been downloaded.

It's been telling me I have 30 minutes left before I can play for about an hour and a half now, only inching lower (it's on 22 mins now).

JdFoX187

Banned
I finally broke down and got the lifetime sub. I couldn't bring myself to just do a one year. The Borg called to me :(

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm having issues with a missions not accepting that it's completed. Did the diplomatic mission but didn't get rewards. MIssions status still says incomplete and I can't get back into the system anymore.

TheExodu5

Banned
I said it in the previous thread: don't run MMOs through Steam. If you buy an MMO off Steam, download the standalone client and just use the key. Steam with a product that's constantly updating is asking for trouble.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Oh yes, if someone is doing fleet invites, please add me Dizzy@Divvy

EDIT: Awesome thanks!

A quick question does anyone know if ebgames price matches (I know evil company)
I pre-ordered through them and there`re charging 59.99, and I just saw that best buy and future shop is charging 49.99.

Logged in and created my awesome character, Terrius Vas!
screenshot_2010-01-29-15-17-10.jpg

Really enjoyed the opening cutscene for character creation. Glad I saved it till the beginning of the head start.

Top Bottom