• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sennorin said:
I can´t wait for the next Nintendo event where we´ll get to hear about the 3DS´ second wave of games. That´s going to be a more representative conclusion for the near future of the system.

Nintendo still has Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing for 2012, and I fully expect either Mario Kart, Super Mario, or Paper Mario to be delayed until then to. Nintendo still have these games to pimp at events, and I expect their October (or whenever) event later this year to be packed full of this stuff.

I'd like to remain hopeful, but Nintendo haven't given me any reason to believe there's some secret wave of awesome third and first party titles on the way that we dont already know about. I expect the next few events to confirm as much.

Now, who wants some Kool Aid?

neptunes

Colonel Mustard said:
Pilot Wings, Street Fighter, Monkey Ball, Mario, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, Star Fox, Zelda, Dead or Alive, Metal Gear, Tales of the Abyss, Cubic Ninja, Resident Evil and Luigis Mansion are all within the 3DS' first year.

Might just be me, but seems far more varied with more quality than the OG DS' first year.

Edit: I forgot about Catlevania DOS. Shame about the new art-direction. But it is one of my top 5 handheld games of all time.
There's a whole of other titles that I didn't mention but like posted above, two of the titles you mentioned may or may not be released before march 2012

EDOT: I totally forgot that Brain Age and Nintendogs Didn't release until April '06

EatChildren said:
Nintendo still has Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing for 2012, and I fully expect either Mario Kart, Super Mario, or Paper Mario to be delayed until then to. Nintendo still have these games to pimp at events, and I expect their October (or whenever) event later this year to be packed full of this stuff.

I'd like to remain hopeful, but Nintendo haven't given me any reason to believe there's some secret wave of awesome third and first party titles on the way that we dont already know about. I expect the next few events to confirm as much.

Kid Icarus has only been confirmed for 2012 in Europe, FWIW, and Paper Mario has never officially been a 2011 title.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Colonel Mustard said:
Pilot Wings, Street Fighter, Monkey Ball, Mario, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, Star Fox, Zelda, Dead or Alive, Metal Gear, Tales of the Abyss, Cubic Ninja, Resident Evil and Luigis Mansion are all within the 3DS' first year.

Might just be me, but seems far more varied with more quality than the OG DS' first year.
I don't know if it's just you, but to me personally it's definitely no contest that the games you listed does not make the 3DS line-up more varied than the DS' first year. The biggest thing I think the 3DS lacks though is some originality, the DS might owe its popularity to a gimmick but that still made game designers think outside the box a bit and gave us games like Meteos, Ouendan, and Trauma Center on top of the Mario Kart, Advance Wars, and Castlevania. In terms of software, I don't think 3DS has software coming out by the middle of next year that comes close to what the DS had by the end of 2005.

neptunes said:
There's a whole of other titles that I didn't mention but like posted above, two of the titles you mentioned may or may not be released before march 2012

EDOT: I totally forgot that Brain Age and Nintendogs Didn't release until April '06
One title.

The two titles you mentioned are good points. However you say lots of other titles were omitted. I'm having a difficult time thinking of them. Nanostray, Warioware Touched, That black and white panel game, Lunar, Asphalt...anything else?

I can't remember.

Edit: Again. Not trying to debate here. I just can't remember the DS' first year that clearly. I do remember taking a trip with my family to the Bahamas and having nothing to play on the car ride to Miami.

Busaiku

EatChildren said:
Kid Icarus is still slated for this year.
Paper Mario was never intended to be this year.

Kerrby

Banned
Busaiku said:
Kid Icarus is still slated for this year.
Paper Mario was never intended to be this year.

Actually Kid Icarus has moved to Q1 2012 in Europe and America is still unknown.

neptunes

Colonel Mustard said:
One title.

The two titles you mentioned are good points. However you say lots of other titles were omitted. I'm having a difficult time thinking of them. Nanostray, Warioware Touched, That black and white panel game, Lunar, Asphalt...anything else?

I can't remember.

Edit: Again. Not trying to debate here. I just can't remember the DS' first year that clearly. I do remember being taking a trip with my family to the Bahamas and having nothin to play on the car ride to Miami.
Phoenix Wright, Nintendogs, Viewtiful Joe, I really don't want to list the shovelware shit (some of which DID chart quite a bit back then0

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
EatChildren said:

If we were going to see anything it would have been at E3.

We got no new third party games at E3 and only Luigi's Mansion for 2012 from Nintendo. The rest of the titles are things we've all seen before.

Kid Icarus being in 2012 for Europe and Australia doesn't help things either.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
Just woke up and this is the first thing I read. You know, when you were a kid and your parents would say they'd get you that epic present, only to realize it's too expensive, so they wouldn't get it? That's how I feel right now :(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Tizoc said:
Why do I feel like Capcom WILL release this game eventually after this whole backlash?
Sure and Xenoblade will come out over here too, and Bamco will put PS3 Vesperia out over here.

Vamphuntr

Colonel Mustard said:
Ports yes.

Within the DS' first year I only had ports of Super Mario 64, Ridge Racer 64, Rayman 64 (really the PS1 version?) A cell phone port of Chaos Theory. The worst Monkey Ball ever.

My hipoints were Castlevania, Feel the Magic, Mister Driller, Kirby and Advanced Wars.

For what's been announced for the first year. I feel that the 3DS offers more. Not that that's saying much.

Yes but unlike the DS the library is pretty much limited to ports so far and what you listed in games you expect to be quality titles are more ports. I already have TotA, MGS3, Star Fox 64, Devil Survivor and Zelda OoT. This is not what will sell a system to me. What sold me a DS in the first year were games likes Castlevania DoS and Meteos and not ports. I was also hyped for Lunar DS even if it turned out to be a turd. Advance wars had me excited too when announced. Nintendogs was also a new franchise at that time which was an entirely new experience.

The only game I look forward is RE Revaltions and knowing Capcom I'm sure the game will wind on another platform eventually. It's certainly isn't helping when Capcom is saying they have 4 games in the work for the other handheld when it's not even out yet.

geebee

Banned
I'm done with Capcom for the most part. The whole Clover situation irked me. Mediocre sequels and original IPs by Western developers bombed hard. MVC 3 should've been just one game with no "updated" retail releases. Street Fighter 4 has already had two retail updates/revision... Street Fighter X Tekken looks uglier than SF IV(Is that even possible?). Resident Evil has gone to shit. Dragon's Dogma looks like a pathetic attempt to compete with Demon's/Dark Souls. They handed Devil May Cry to a developer that has some of the ugliest characters in games... I'm glad Inafune jumped ship. He's too good for that place. Mega Man was dying with the EXE bullshit, but this is the final nail in the coffin for the series. Growing up loving Mega Man and many of Capcom's franchises and now seeing how the company has gotten ridiculously shitty the past few years is just plain sad.

The only thing that might bring me back is the PS3 port of Monster Hunter Portable. Even that feels half-assed since there should be a full-fledged HD sequel, FFS...

So this was canned as a sort of latent revenge thing for Inafune leaving and badmouthing the company, right? Because out-right canning the game is a giant "Fuck You" to fans. If it was a matter of the 3DS being too risky a proposal, the game could've made the jump to another platform. Instead it feels like there's active hatred of it inside of Capcom.

Vamphuntr

neptunes said:
Phoenix Wright, Nintendogs, Viewtiful Joe, I really don't want to list the shovelware shit (some of which DID chart quite a bit back then0

Well Phoenix Wright is a port but the game was never released outside Japan before. Really don't think we will see Phoenix Wright VS Layton anytime soon since we have yet to see gameplay screenshots. I'm also worried about an English release for this one. Level 5 has yet to publish something on their own outside Japan and Capcom has given up on the AA franchise. Maybe NoA could publish it if we are lucky but I wouldn't bank on them even if they have brought the other Layton games.

Gomu Gomu

qq more said:
Fuck you Capcom.
luka said:
Fuck you Capcom. :(
Seraphis Cain said:
Fuck Capcom this gen.
Kandinsky said:
FUCK YOU CAPCOM!
vectorman06 said:
Fuck you Crapcom..
GDGF said:
Seriously, fuck you Capcom.
B.K. said:
fuck Capcom.
Goon Boon said:
Go fuck yourself capcom.

Heh, I guess this is why companies don't announce games until they are almost done.

It really sucks though. This game, in particular, was a love letter to the fans. Cancelling it will be always seen as an F YOU FANS and not just another business/financial decision.

Tizoc

Kulock said:
So this was canned as a sort of latent revenge thing for Inafune leaving and badmouthing the company, right? Because out-right canning the game is a giant "Fuck You" to fans. If it was a matter of the 3DS being too risky a proposal, the game could've made the jump to another platform. Instead it feels like there's active hatred of it inside of Capcom.
Hmm it being on other platforms is interesting...they could release this on PSN and XBL.

Erethian

Kulock said:

This has almost nothing to do with the state of the 3DS.

Nobody left at Capcom is interested in making Mega Man games anymore, simple as that. Inti Creates saw the writing on the wall and went after the lucrative schoolgirl-molesting game market.

Vamphuntr

Erethian said:
This has almost nothing to do with the state of the 3DS.

Nobody left at Capcom is interested in making Mega Man games anymore, simple as that. Inti Creates saw the writing on the wall and went after the lucrative schoolgirl-molesting game market.

Maybe but they had a team working on the prototype after all. The developers were pretty interested in the fans' input too. They were interested in making one but Capcom wasn't interested in pouring money on the project (hence the whole prototype thing).

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Yesasia won't even let me cancel my Biohazard Revival preorder. Damnit. I don't want to give this company more of my money.

said while breathing a sigh of relief

Erethian

Vamphuntr said:
Maybe but they had a team working on the prototype after all. The developers were pretty interested in the fans' input too. They were interested in making one but Capcom wasn't interested in pouring money on the project (hence the whole prototype thing).

The only reason it got as far as it did was because of Inafune.

Both Mega Man games he had a hand in have been cancelled since his departure. I think that speaks pretty clearly as to how management at Capcom views the franchise.

Eusis

Erethian said:
Nobody left at Capcom is interested in making Mega Man games anymore, simple as that.
Unless you're talking about the higher up executives I'm pretty sure this couldn't be further from the truth, at least for Legends. Cameos keep popping up in games, possibly more than for other Mega Man games, and I get the impression it was something they wanted pushed into being developed. If they didn't care it probably wouldn't have even been announced in the first place.

Vamphuntr

Erethian said:
The only reason it got as far as it did was because of Inafune.

Both Mega Man games he had a hand in have been cancelled since his departure. I think that speaks pretty clearly as to how management at Capcom views the franchise.

Totally, but I was replying to your "No one is interested in making a Mega Man game at Capcom" which isn't accurate. It's the funding they don't want to give to the projects.

wow.. just... wow...
capcom how low you've sank...
after all the hype, all the shit, all the "fans this is for you", project canned straight to the bin...
wow..

Vamphuntr said:
The way Capcom is set up is weird.

To get a game greenlit, you have to convince someone in charge that the idea is viable. That person that has to convince other people that the game is salable. Then those people decide on a budget for the game and green light it. This process can be quick or it can take a year. It can also involve way more steps or a few less.

Inafune was the head of the "rank" that decided whether game ideas were viable, but he still had a difficult time convincing others the games would be marketable. For example, Ono went through Inafune to get SFIV greenlit and Inafune fought hard because he believed now was the the time to bring fighting games back and SFIV would succeed. I disagree with Inafune on a lot of things but he didn't get to where he was for nothing.

MML3 was a weird case. They convinced someone, probably Inafune's idea but maybe Takeuchi or Kawata or somebody, that MML3 was viable. And for some reason...Capcom announced this. They announced it before the game was greenlit. So the (likely salaried) team started preparing the pre-production phase to show the purse-holders above them that MML3 would do well.

Then it got canceled.

We might never know why, exactly. I've explained earlier that I think the slightly flaccid 3DS sales and the (likely way more important) months they couldn't work on the game after the earthquake probably did it in. Maybe the company did not have faith in the Mega Man brand and, without Inafune there to fight for it, saw no obstacle to cutting their losses. Maybe they decided they'd rather have that team working on Dragon's Dogma instead of a risky Mega Man project. Maybe it's all of that combined.

End of the day, Capcom really should not have announced this project before it began actual production.

Erethian

Eusis said:
Unless you're talking about the higher up executives I'm pretty sure this couldn't be further from the truth, at least for Legends. Cameos keep popping up in games, possibly more than for other Mega Man games, and I get the impression it was something they wanted pushed into being developed. If they didn't care it probably wouldn't have even been announced in the first place.

Vamphuntr said:
Totally, but I was replying to your "No one is interested in making a Mega Man game at Capcom" which isn't accurate. It's the funding they don't want to give to the projects.

I was talking about the executive staff, probably should have made that clearer.

Unfortunately the views of the people who make the games don't really enter into it. It was one of the things Inafune was so frustrated about, actually. That the development staff don't have much, if any, representation at the board level.

KyteTron

Banned
AlphaDragoon said:
It was awesome once you got permanent Model X.

It never got awesome.

Hell, Omega Zero just reminded me of how much I miss all that rather than make me love the game.

Forkball

MegaMan Volnutt's final video game appearance ever:

tvc-p.jpg

At least is was a good game.

how the fuck could they cancel a prototype?
they could have at least released the prototype and then after low sales cancelled the project?
fuck you crapcom, fuck you!

qq more

KyteTron said:
It never got awesome.

Hell, Omega Zero just reminded me of how much I miss all that rather than make me love the game.
Still a good game in its own right!

Let's all agree that ZX Advent was shit though. (Shame because transforming into bosses was such a cool concept, but the game was so god damn bland)

nullset2

I actually felt physically bad a little bit when I saw these news, like a knot on my throat or so for a few seconds. It's quite the revolting news actually.

Capcom, you just don't fuck around with the fanbase of a series that hasn't had a sequel in more than 10 years after the last cliffhanger. You just can't fuck around with people and stuff like that.

YOU. JUST. CAN'T.

Capcom doesn't have any other games that interest me and I was actually thinking about giving RE5 gold a go... guess I won't anymore. I'm done with this hack of a game company. You guys can't live off Street Fighter and MvC revisions and Resident Evil sequels forever. This new approach to developing franchises in the west is silly too. Damn

Top Bottom