• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

The answer is there's room for both LED and OLED TVs. And both have significant advantages and disadvantages when compared to one another.

This is what people used to say about LCD and Plasma. It really wasn't true for anybody in Home Theater, aka those with light control in their theater room. I don't think it's changed much in that respect. LED/LCD for people with bright rooms, OLED for people with dim rooms.

Rahvar

I'm looking to pick up a new tv closer to Black Friday.

At the moment I aim to grab the LG OLED55B6V which currently sits at 16.000 SEK if it can get down towards 14.000. Otherwise the Samsung UE55KS7005 currently sits at 12.000SEK.

Is there any reason to pick up another set at around the same price as these? I don't really want to pay more than 15.000 and 55 inch is a good size as I sit about 6 feet from the tv and others about 9 feet.

I'm Swedish so sets close to these two in price in whichever market you are in would be helpful.

As far as I know, the European 7000 series from Samsung is the 8000 series in the US.

Primary purpose for the tv is gaming and movies. 70-30 in favor of gaming.

Currently 1 US Dollar is 8.9 SEK and 1 Euro is
9.6 SEK.

Bendo

I'm looking to pick up a new tv closer to Black Friday.

At the moment I aim to grab the LG OLED55B6V which currently sits at 16.000 SEK if it can get down towards 14.000. Otherwise the Samsung UE55KS7005 currently sits at 12.000SEK.

Is there any reason to pick up another set at around the same price as these? I don't really want to pay more than 15.000 and 55 inch is a good size as I sit about 6 feet from the tv and others about 9 feet.
The B6V is last year's model so I wouldn't bank on it bring available in November. The B7V/C7V are this year's models and should be around that price, however.

As for which set is the one to buy it's a bit early to say because there aren't a lot of reviews, but I'd be very surprised if the LG isn't at or near the top.

Rahvar

The B6V is last year's model so I wouldn't bank on it bring available in November. The B7V/C7V are this year's models and should be around that price, however.

As for which set is the one to buy it's a bit early to say because there aren't a lot of reviews, but I'd be very surprised if the LG isn't at or near the top.

Thanks for the input!
I work at an electronics retailer and we usually sell the previous year's models alongside the new ones until the end of the year. At least for the popular models. Generally gives the customers the same performance at a slightly cheaper price.

Lucentto

Banned
So through some connections. I can get the 55B6 for $1800 at Best Buy... should I take it? I wanted to wait longer to see if there would be a sale of some kind in the future but it doesn't seem like that will happen. I also don't feel comfortable buying from an unauthorized dealer on ebay even though they are cheaper. The stock seems to be going for this model so I would like to make a decision soon.

Halp?

wege12

So through some connections. I can get the 55B6 for $1800 at Best Buy... should I take it? I wanted to wait longer to see if there would be a sale of some kind in the future but it doesn't seem like that will happen. I also don't feel comfortable buying from an unauthorized dealer on ebay even though they are cheaper. The stock seems to be going for this model so I would like to make a decision soon.

Halp?

That's not a terrible deal. I was lucky and found my B6 locally for $1,500. What I would do if I were you is purchase it on a credit card that has price protection. Then go online and find the cheapest price for the 55 inch B6 and file a claim. You should be able to knock $500 off your price. I did this and ended up only playing $1,098 for my OLED.

Good luck!

longdi

Banned

Halp?

For gaming, C7 is better and I guess next year's C8 with hdmi2.1 will be all you need for awhile.

Either one, i think oled are unbeatable at their current prices.

vpance

This is what people used to say about LCD and Plasma. It really wasn't true for anybody in Home Theater, aka those with light control in their theater room. I don't think it's changed much in that respect. LED/LCD for people with bright rooms, OLED for people with dim rooms.

Of course it has changed, especially with HDR. Back then the scale was tilted far more in favor of plasmas for obvious reasons.

Now that OLED also has similar negatives to LCD when it comes to motion it's more even. I'd say there's good cases to owning either, and not just because of room lighting limitations.

Theonik

Are 70"+ OLED's ever going to not be $20,000?

Shit.

Wife is bugging me for a bigger screen in the new media room. Normally this would be an excellent problem to have, but she wants bigger than 65". I want OLED.

-_-
Just get a Sony 75Z9D and wait it out. Or you could get a 75X94E

DieH@rd

Banned
Hey Duders,

I'm looking to get another TV for tailgating in th 43 to 50 inch range. Any suggestions for what I should look at?

Need a TV that can get bright and handles reflections well.

Thinking about one of these:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d?uxtv=5935

Thank you

43X800D or X800E [2017 successor] is the only acceptable entry choice for 4K HDR. It has popper 10bit WCG panel, good HDR and traditionally great Sony scaler tech.

We have really big thread for X800D here on GAF. The only two TV lines who got standalone threads in recent months are X800D and samsungs KS8000.

TheBoss1

Hey Duders,

I'm looking to get another TV for tailgating in th 43 to 50 inch range. Any suggestions for what I should look at?

Need a TV that can get bright and handles reflections well.

Thinking about one of these:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d?uxtv=5935

Thank you

I would suggest the X900E since you said you want something brighter, which the X800D is not. It's currently at $1098 on Amazon so it is a little more expensive (+$300) than the 49" X800D, which has the inferior IPS panel.

That's not a terrible deal. I was lucky and found my B6 locally for $1,500. What I would do if I were you is purchase it on a credit card that has price protection. Then go online and find the cheapest price for the 55 inch B6 and file a claim. You should be able to knock $500 off your price. I did this and ended up only playing $1,098 for my OLED.

Good luck!

I paid about $1,150 for my B6 which I think is a steal for that tv. Wouldn't have paid more than $1500 for it though. I got a 1080p 9100 about a year and a half ago for $1000 with about 300 hours on it which I considered a steal at the time and then sold it for $800 (being generous, I probably could've gotten more at the time--a few months ago).

Prices are coming down in general, even if stock for the 2016s seems to be drying up a bit. If you have credit card price matching, your final price, even if you bought from a brick and mortar shouldn't be more than $1550 (most cards have a minimum of $250 protection). The process was painless with Visa and I got my check in less than a week.

43X800D or X800E [2017 successor] is the only acceptable entry choice for 4K HDR. It has popper 10bit WCG panel, good HDR and traditionally great Sony scaler tech.

We have really big thread for X800D here on GAF. The only two TV lines who got standalone threads in recent months are X800D and samsungs KS8000.

Since it's for Tailgating, I am fine getting a 1080p screen, I just realize in that range most things are now 4k.

I would suggest the X900E since you said you want something brighter, which the X800D is not. It's currently at $1098 on Amazon so it is a little more expensive (+$300) than the 49" X800D, which has the inferior IPS panel.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to watch like a hawk to see if it goes on sale (which I have until August so hopefully it does).

molnizzle

Ah, I was going to say get a projector. A 65" OLED will be a massive step up in PQ but a massive step down in size!

It'd be a step down in size, but we're also going from a 12' seating distance to about 8'. The "effective" size should be about that same. At least, that's what I'm trying to convince myself.

Kyoufu

Putting "Superb HDR" as a pro and then saying the screen isn't bright enough for another HDR format as a con is just fucking weird. Someone help me out here.

TheBoss1

Putting "Superb HDR" as a pro and then saying the screen isn't bright enough for another HDR format as a con is just fucking weird. Someone help me out here.

These two kind of contradict each other.

LOL Many reviewers are inconsistent with how they rate TVs. This is just a classic case of having to find a good and bad in everything, and not knowing what to say to not sound like a fanboy/biased.

Theonik

Should have followed the IGN review guide and said 'The only bad thing about this TV is it might be TOO good.'

Jokes aside, all OLED displays are not really capable of hitting sufficient brightness for content mastered on Dolby's 4k nit monitor.

I have an old 2009 43 inch Samsung plasma in our bedroom. Planning on upgrading to the new TCL P series 50" when it's released next month. Is FALD (72 zones) which on a 50 inch should be really nice, 4K, Dolby vision hdr (says it has Dolby visions universal hdr solution that allows hdr10 as well, which is interesting), remote control with headphone jack which will be awesome to watch shows/movies while the wife sleeps. Only downside is that it's 60hz but hopefully it's nothing too bad. 50" starts at $500 which feature wise I don't think any can compete. I know tcl is lower tier but they seem to be trying to introduce some more tvs for people that care about picture quality. Reminds me of when Visio first came out and now they have pretty good tvs out there (p and m series). So we'll see. Will try and wait for reviews though but at $500 can't expect too much.

I'm not sure where to ask this so I'll try here. I bought a KS8000 a few weeks ago. Been really happy with it so far but recently I noticed something. If you look really closely there are little tiny things that look like air bubbles beneath the screen. They're maybe 1/4cm in diameter and you can't see them when the TV is on but I want to be sure - is this anything to worry about?

Kyoufu

Its on sale for 450 but i have some expiring gift cards. I read that it doesnt have full hdr and the color on it isn't great though.

Yeah, it doesn't meet the minimum HDR specs but I mean, if that's all your budget allows then it's a good deal.

DieH@rd

Banned
Hows the Samsung UN55KU6300? I can get it at Walmart for $220.

4k, Hdr, 120 mr.

8bit panel, so HDR is only there "on paper". TV will detect HDR signal, but it cannot properly showcase it.

It can show good SDR 4K picture, motion blur is a bit stronger, but input lag is very low.

Lady Gaia

4k, Hdr, 120 mr.

It's a perfectly fine set, especially for the price, but you should take the HDR claim with a grain of salt. Technically it can receive and interpret an HDR signal. It does not, however, come anywhere close to producing the shadow detail or peak brightness the signal is intended to communicate. It would definitely fail UHD Premium certification.

4k, Hdr, 120 mr.

My mother in-law has that very set, I tested it with some LG HDR demos......actually much better than I thought it would be, but obviously doesn't hold a candle to flagship HDR sets (like mine) but for that price, why the hell not.

Of course it has changed, especially with HDR. Back then the scale was tilted far more in favor of plasmas for obvious reasons.

Now that OLED also has similar negatives to LCD when it comes to motion it's more even. I'd say there's good cases to owning either, and not just because of room lighting limitations.

I just can't deal with the uniformity issues that zone-based backlighting introduces. Per pixel or nothing. :)

I do look forward to BFI improving motion resolution.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So, my Sony TV just got a firmware update.

Any chance it improves the input lag?

I just can't deal with the uniformity issues that zone-based backlighting introduces. Per pixel or nothing. :)

I do look forward to BFI improving motion resolution.

Me too, apparently the BFI on the new Sony A1E is only usable with 60fps games. This plus the extra 10ms input lag it has on the LG C7 seems like it needs a bit more work.

wege12

Me too, apparently the BFI on the new Sony A1E is only usable with 60fps games. This plus the extra 10ms input lag it has on the LG C7 seems like it needs a bit more work.

It's actually a requirement for my next OLED to have BFI. If only LG would update the B6 with BFI functionality and improve trumotion. Too bad that'll never happen.

Madness

Yeah I don't wanna spend a ton, just something good enough for scorpio

If you can get it for $220, sure. It obviously does not have the HDR10 (wide color or nit brightness requirements), the increased resolution will be much better for Scorpio for 4K.

Keep in mind you get what you pay for.

What size? I have a 65" coming on Thursday.

bNyLJA0_d.jpg

55" love it

ACH1LL3US

BTW , Everyone interested in the C7 should go check RTINGS review.

I notified them that with a 35 oled light at 85 contrast there was no ABL, they rechecked their measurements and confirmed what I saw with my bare eyes :p

Also I informed them that you can get 21ms input lag in PC mode with ISF expert bright or Dark with 4:4:4 and again they confirmed this too!

They have updated their review to reflect this information. You can scroll down to the question area to the C7 review and can see that they responded to my questions!

Just clarifies even more how much of an improvement this tv is for gaming

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/...question_20551

Isn't DV mastered for 10,000 nits while HDR10 is 4,000? Maybe that's why they say not enough for DV but 'enough' for HDR10.

IDK.

No, either can be mastered at 4000 nits, 10,000 there is no mastering monitor. The issue would be each display tone mapping capabilities, poor tone mapping leads to artifacts, tone mapping to 4000 nits currently is only achievable with DV.

holygeesus

Banned
BTW , Everyone interested in the C7 should go check RTINGS review.

I notified them that with a 35 oled light at 85 contrast there was no ABL, they rechecked their measurements and confirmed what I saw with my bare eyes :p

Also I informed them that you can get 21ms input lag in PC mode with ISF expert bright or Dark with 4:4:4 and again they confirmed this too!

They have updated their review to reflect this information. You can scroll down to the question area to the C7 review and can see that they responded to my questions!

Just clarifies even more how much of an improvement this tv is for gaming

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/...question_20551

Still not worth the current double RRP IMO (in some countries). You shouldn't really be seeing ABL on the 2016 models with OLED Light that low anyway.

vpance

No, either can be mastered at 4000 nits, 10,000 there is no mastering monitor. The issue would be each display tone mapping capabilities, poor tone mapping leads to artifacts, tone mapping to 4000 nits currently is only achievable with DV.

DV helps with correct tone mapping, but some of the recent brighter LED TVs don't have much issue handling highlight detail with 4000 nit content on HDR10. Basically it's manufacturer dependent at the moment but DV will make it easier for TVs that clip things over 1000 nits.

ACH1LL3US

Still not worth the current double RRP IMO (in some countries). You shouldn't really be seeing ABL on the 2016 models with OLED Light that low anyway.

Yes, you still do see ABL even at low oled light level on the 2016's. That was a huge problem for them, just go ask D-Nice about that ;)

On the 2016's if you setup the picture for 150 nits the full screen would still dim down a lot.

I am not comparing tvs by how much they cost right now, just what the new ones improvements have brought on. Cleveland plasma has the 55c7 at $2400 right now, the 55B6 is going for 1600, so not as big of a price difference.

Got my C7 yesterday, still getting through all of the setup and tuning in place, but enjoyed watching Planet Earth II last night (through an Xbox One S, gasp) with the kids. Having come from an eight year old Panasonic plasma I am a little freaked out at the complete lack of bezel and how insanely thin it is. Like, thinner than my phone. Which leads me to the only thing I'm uncomfortable with so far, which is that the set sways ever so sligthly when we walk in the living room. Old house, basement, etc. It's in the stand on top of a solid hardwood entertainment center that is on rollers. Curious if anyone has attempted to mitigate this before, and how.

Paragon

Which leads me to the only thing I'm uncomfortable with so far, which is that the set sways ever so sligthly when we walk in the living room. Old house, basement, etc. It's in the stand on top of a solid hardwood entertainment center that is on rollers. Curious if anyone has attempted to mitigate this before, and how.
The best option is probably to wall mount it.

Top Bottom